Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

wrong wu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
trust women

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Cocoa Crispies posted:

yeah

in conclusion, everyone kind of sucks sometimes, never go on twitter, never go on reddit, never take sides

:rip: death :rip: is :rip: certain :rip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOqb_UzJSUQ

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
like china has been coming down super hard on being tricky with money lately, more than anything else probably

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

—-

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i actually suspect she's spending guanxi to get away w/ it

isn't everyone?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Fiedler posted:

wrong wu

Lmao I had it right later too. I went and edited it.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
alright. why the gently caress does she try to live in china lmao like just move to a country that wont shoot you in the head in the back of a Sprinter for any one of the seven crimes against the state you commit every day just by continuing to exist. she seems v intelligent and skilled and could probably get any number of countries to accept her

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

PleasureKevin posted:

overall it’s a pretty safe country but these people to scare people. they are not associated with the government though.

since the crime rates are completely made up figures intended to burnish the reputations of local party bosses, i don't know why you would imagine china to be a "safe" country

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

lancemantis posted:

like china has been coming down super hard on being tricky with money lately, more than anything else probably

the term you are grasping for is "capital controls"

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Jonny 290 posted:

alright. why the gently caress does she try to live in china lmao like just move to a country that wont shoot you in the head in the back of a Sprinter for any one of the seven crimes against the state you commit every day just by continuing to exist. she seems v intelligent and skilled and could probably get any number of countries to accept her

She literally says in the article you didn't read that she loves her home and would rather fight to make it better than bail somewhere else.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
naomi wu doesn't have to worry about capital controls because she is bringing money into the country, not the other way around

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Jonny 290 posted:

Weren't you yelling at me when I mentioned a couple of years ago that I was casually considering canada after the trump election?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

since the crime rates are completely made up figures intended to burnish the reputations of local party bosses, i don't know why you would imagine china to be a "safe" country

about 2.5 to 20% of crimes are successfully reported
think about that a minute

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

ADINSX posted:

Weren't you yelling at me when I mentioned a couple of years ago that I was casually considering canada after the trump election?

were you posting on social networks and using vpns strictly banned by the united states to get your message out and getting significant journalistic coverage that proved that you were doing so?

she's gonna slip and fall off a 27 story skyscraper. dont gently caress with china

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

isn't everyone?

where is all the guanxi going? is there some guy in china with like a swimming pool full of the stuff that he's just hoarding and hoarding until he decides he wants a parade in his honor or something

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
china, like every other demarcation on this woebegotten sphere, has its own problems with obsessive, broke-brained young men who are extremely mad on social media. they are of course chinese and so their bullshit is shot through with chinese cultural bullshit just as much as the american ones are shot through with american cultural bullshit. they’ve actually been an organized force for somewhat longer than their foreign counterparts , and they’ve definitely been explicitly nationalist and racist for longer

naomi wu would have to deal with a constant stream of harrassment from those people just for being a woman online. the fact that she has a considerable audience, particularly a foreign audience, and does tech stuff, and talks about feminism, and has apparently married an expat, and does look a little like she might not be pure chinese — all of that is going to make her a huge target for the chinese chuds. and in china the chuds are going to say that they’re ccp members, which they might be, and ccp officials have a huge amount of power to capriciously gently caress with you

and the upper ranks of the ccp see themselves as preserving a very delicate balance between not interfering so overtly in people’s lives as to inspire real mass discontent — which shutting off the internet completely would — and controlling what messages get to the masses internall and setting the image of the country internationally. so there are sorts of petty sins like being on twitter or running a patreon or criticizing the government’s policies about women’s rights that nobody cares much about right up until you look like an embarrassment or have a bit too much of a platform

so yeah, wu is super-sensitive to this stuff because it’s all hanging over her constantly, and she’s no doubt aware of plenty of stories where things have gone really bad for other people doing similar things, most of which never get reported even within china. and she can’t talk more explicitly about it without making herself an even larger target to the chuds / government

and then here comes sarah jeong apparently asking her chinese friends whether the average chinese grandmother on the street cares more about a young woman marrying an expat than the average korean grandmother on the street

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

jit bull transpile posted:

She literally says in the article you didn't read that she loves her home and would rather fight to make it better than bail somewhere else.

as a compromise, how about taiwan, that would count as not leaving china right :v:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

speaking of corporate hellscapes

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

careful, friend!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I remember in the 80s there was a ton of handwringing about ultrasounds and the one child policy creating social upheaval because of tons of unmarriable men but looks like we just ended up with millions of lovely online dudes instead

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

thank you, this helps explain the situation quite a bit

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

hobbesmaster posted:

link? is this from a hiring website or what lol

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

hobbesmaster posted:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

qirex posted:

I remember in the 80s there was a ton of handwringing about ultrasounds and the one child policy creating social upheaval because of tons of unmarriable men but looks like we just ended up with millions of lovely online dudes instead

talking about china or the us?

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

the main thing i remember about that movie is that it had a surprisingly large number of enema jokes

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

hell yeah work sucks

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

fits my needs posted:

link? is this from a hiring website or what lol

https://blog.aboutamazon.com/workin...term=gw08062018

quote:

This retiree and cancer survivor came to work at Amazon for the chance to encourage others, keep his mind active, and make a difference for customers.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

qirex posted:

they did end up with ridiculous sociological issues though

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

lifesize geriatric staring me in the face.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
amazon a little bit past my prime

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

tbf my (entirely financially secure) great aunt did get a part time job at the dollar tree just for an excuse to get out of the house and talk to people and feel useful that she kept until she turned fuckin' 92 but i somehow doubt this guy joined the loving amazon picker hell team for the same reasons

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
all the extra men are in rural areas. despite maoist rhetoric, turns out revolutions and poo poo don't actually start in rural areas

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

loving history channel

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah my grandpa got a couple bucks an hour to be playground monitor for the school in town for about 30 years. two entire generations of iron river, michigan kids grew up knowing my Grandpa Ace. :3:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

quote:

For Reefer, "make a difference" means embracing Amazon's culture of customer obsession. It also means trying to be a positive force in the lives of his coworkers. He never wants to see anyone give up on themselves. And he knows by now that just being around him can help people keep a sense of perspective and foster some optimism. Reefer has stayed positive, despite nine bouts of cancer that have dropped his weight below 100 pounds and despite the 2014 death of his wife that cut short the global travel that was supposed to be their victory lap after a half century together. "Even today, I'll be sitting here in my den or something like that — maybe 7:00, 7:30 — and I'm sure she'll be coming home from a walk. Then all of a sudden it hits me that she's not coming back, you know? But that's normal."

Reefer understands that some people would rage and fester in his situation, but his religious faith leads him to believe that he'd be letting evil win if he allowed bitterness to break him apart. "I get mad, but I don't dwell on it," he said.

"Rick and I got to be pretty close," said Bret Kresak, who led Amazon’s PIT5 sort center for most of Reefer's time there. "Rick doesn't need the money. He doesn't do it for fame and fortune. He truly does it because he loves Amazon, and he loves the people he works with. I continue to be amazed at Rick’s enthusiasm and always look forward to his smile and positive comments."

amazon: it's better than dying alone from cancer!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah my grandpa got a couple bucks an hour to be playground monitor for the school in town for about 30 years. two entire generations of iron river, michigan kids grew up knowing my Grandpa Ace. :3:

that's very cool.

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Step Right Up And Feast Your Eyes On The Unfathomable Sarah Jeong, The Woman Who Is Both Good And Bad! The Beautiful Monster Who Makes Resisters’ Minds Spin! Destroyer Of Naomi Wu! Enemy Of Chuds! Behold This Freak Of Nature!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

jesus christ he's only 5 years older than my mom now i'm real sad :smith: