Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Startled, a herd of BBs rush for the shelter of the map edge:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Battleship players.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
just had a match where some dude died in the first 5 minutes of the match and spent the rest of the game whining about how WG nerfed him. just him, specifically, because he is too good at the game.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

just had a match where some dude died in the first 5 minutes of the match and spent the rest of the game whining about how WG nerfed him. just him, specifically, because he is too good at the game.

Did his name happen to be "Dev_Strike_Medals_King? "

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

El Disco posted:

Did his name happen to be "Dev_Strike_Medals_King? "

lol yep.

when i called him out on sounding insane he said he was suing me for defamation

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

lol yep.

when i called him out on sounding insane he said he was suing me for defamation

It's hard to tell if it's a gimmick or if he's literally insane.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Ok I knew the name was familiar that explains it.

I really hope it’s a gimmick because jfc that person needs meds if it isn’t.

ReapersTouch
Nov 25, 2004

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Started playing the giulio cesare that WG gave me for free. Compared to the boats that I normally play, this boat prints money. I still drive it like a DD and mostly end up being the first to die.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Darkrenown posted:

Are you sure? I thought normally higher velocity guns have worse vertical dispersion. If it's not objectively inaccurate then I am certainly having terrible luck with my shots (and am not speced for secondaries either).

Normally, yes, that is true. The Richelieu for some reason though gets a very small dispersion ellipsis in both directions. This is from WoWSFT:

Vertical dispersion isn't everything, but if you look at the other available metrics the Richelieu is pretty drat accurate there as well. Any BB can get hosed by RNG though and having few guns hurts.

Loky11
Dec 12, 2006

Pull on the new flesh like borrowed gloves and burn your fingers once again
/rant

another weekend over and I'm once again convinced the vast majority of people have 1 tier 10 ship they've somehow ground up to and play terribly consistently, never learning.

also if you're tier 8 and get a tier 10 match stfu and play it without bitching in chat jfc

/rant

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

T8 matchmaking has gotten noticeably worse though - probably due to the T10 module grind poo poo.

Also, I've definitely noticed that I've at least been able to progress beyond where I probably should be. Like my first 1400 or so games were all in DDs, and I'm still learning for sure. I definitely was able to hit T10 in them before really having enough games under my belt to play at a really advanced level with consistency. It's even worse now with cruisers, like I know the game well enough that it was easy to blow through the lower tiers, but now that I'm at T9 in USN and RN, like I have good games and I know what I should be doing, but the instincts aren't there yet at all. I'm at T9 in both with well under 500 games total in cruisers, period. If you pay for premium time/know enough to farm damage most of the time, then you can definitely progress faster than you really know in depth.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

i'm not going to say that people shouldn't be allowed to play t10, they've earned (or paid to convert xp) those ships, i will say that this game does a poor job of rewarding team play and doesn't do a good job of explaining simple concepts like armor angling.

i'm hearing you about t8, everyone knows its matchmaking is loving broken, i'd like WG to address it but you gotta know what's going to happen when you play a t8 ship.

Loky11
Dec 12, 2006

but you gotta know what's going to happen when you play a t8 ship.

unironically this

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

You are extremely upset for the entire duration and end up at the top of the scoreboard of the losing team?

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
I used to grind every line at the same time and so each time I bumped up a tier (5-6, 6-7, etc) there was a noticeable drop in my stats followed by a large rebound as I learned. Honestly you learn so well playing across lines and classes before going up.

Its also why my first tier 10 took 3000 games to reach. Now I have 5 unlocked with 3 more 100k xp away.

Loky11
Dec 12, 2006

Heartcatch posted:

You are extremely upset for the entire duration and end up at the top of the scoreboard of the losing team?

honestly i don't care. it's just so noticeable as time goes on.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

today i learned that the win 15 matches for the t10 module mission can be achieved in co-op

Loky11
Dec 12, 2006

today i learned that the win 15 matches for the t10 module mission can be achieved in co-op

the only way to do it.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Loky11 posted:

the only way to do it.

no... it isn't :negative:

the conker module had better be worth it lmao

e:

quote:

+13% to main turrets traverse speed.
–80% to steering gears repair time.
–40% to rudder shift time.

nvm, worth it for that turret traverse alone.

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Aug 6, 2018

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
I get that it can be a bummer playing T8 matchmaking, but how are people so surprised that they incredulously bitch all match? Like it happens 90% of the games, get over it. I say this as someone currently grinding a bunch of T8 ships.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

causticBeet posted:

I get that it can be a bummer playing T8 matchmaking, but how are people so surprised that they incredulously bitch all match? Like it happens 90% of the games, get over it. I say this as someone currently grinding a bunch of T8 ships.

Yeah honestly the only thing I did the 3 times in my entire Cleveland and Edinburgh grind that I got a T8 match, I would say something like "Holy poo poo, T8 matches still exist!"

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

I frown when I get bottom tier in my Nelson but that frown turns upside-down when I remember they all burn equally :getin:

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

It is honestly the only way to do it in a manner that is tolerable.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Loky11 posted:

/rant

another weekend over and I'm once again convinced the vast majority of people have 1 tier 10 ship they've somehow ground up to and play terribly consistently, never learning.

also if you're tier 8 and get a tier 10 match stfu and play it without bitching in chat jfc

/rant

/rant

Those Tier VIII players aren’t just bitching because they got a single Tier X match, really they are bitching about the current state of Tier VIII MM, which has gotten even worse now that WG literally incentivized the endless grinding of Tier X ships with the legendary mods.

Because, getting into a match where you are up-tiered by everyone is not fun; however, if it happened now and again, people wouldn’t complain. The problem is when you queue in a Tier VIII, like I did on Saturday, and the first 11 matches you are in you find yourself one of between 2 to 4 Tier VIIIs when everyone else is in a Tier X ship.

/rant

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
T8 MM is a loving nightmare and WG should have implemented +1/-1 MM years ago. Not only in WoWs but also in WoT and probably in the plane game as well(never played that one).

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

They won't because of profitability reasons I'm sure. Have people pay money to convert exp to get past the tiers that they don't want to play. Adding to the issue are the sub-50% players that we know so well.

Thankfully, I have enough from clan battles to do whatever I want.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Heartcatch posted:

These are my t8 matches in my Cleveland.
And a lot of my t9's.

t10's are split between 'get nuked relatively early on because the entire team collapsed' and 'you are extremely pumped for most of the duration of the match, dodging 98% of the enemies fire and throwing several hundred HE on everything you can see to end up on the top (top 3/top 5) of the scoreboard on the winning team.'

Although non-hyperbole that's most of my Cleveland matches at all tiers.

+2/-2 MM is nowhere near as bad here as it is in Tanks since HE and fires still allow you to hurt stuff. The worst part is having to chunk down high HP BB's because they sat at the back and the 1-4 of you remaining have lost enough health that you have to kite and spam HE at them or else you'll die.
Also secondary spec'd BB's at those levels too, because 10-11km range secondaries is nuts :v:

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Honestly right now between Atlanta, Scharnhorst, and Leningrad, tier 7 is killing it in the fun per minute category for me. I continue the T10 grind on other lines out of some weird obligation sense in my head, but, honestly whenever I'm on with my Dad and we stop and go "geez lets just make sure the next one is a fun one", it's always Tier 7.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

EponymousMrYar posted:

These are my t8 matches in my Cleveland.
And a lot of my t9's.

t10's are split between 'get nuked relatively early on because the entire team collapsed' and 'you are extremely pumped for most of the duration of the match, dodging 98% of the enemies fire and throwing several hundred HE on everything you can see to end up on the top (top 3/top 5) of the scoreboard on the winning team.'

Although non-hyperbole that's most of my Cleveland matches at all tiers.

+2/-2 MM is nowhere near as bad here as it is in Tanks since HE and fires still allow you to hurt stuff. The worst part is having to chunk down high HP BB's because they sat at the back and the 1-4 of you remaining have lost enough health that you have to kite and spam HE at them or else you'll die.
Also secondary spec'd BB's at those levels too, because 10-11km range secondaries is nuts :v:

Honestly those secondary-spec BBs are not the menace you think they are. The main threat is still the main guns because lets face it, the FDG would be much more competitive because it and the kurfurst have the same secondaries. Plus they give up a lot of fire resistance to get those secondaries.

I think in general you need to just nerf gun ranges for BBs, cap them at 20km and you will see better play, or at least more equitable play.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Blindeye posted:

Honestly those secondary-spec BBs are not the menace you think they are. The main threat is still the main guns because lets face it, the FDG would be much more competitive because it and the kurfurst have the same secondaries. Plus they give up a lot of fire resistance to get those secondaries.

In a Cleveland they're way worse than the main batteries. Because when I'm close enough to beat their turret rotation/ducking between cover I can't dodge the volume of secondary fire coming my way, especially if they've specced manual secondaries :v:

I fully admit getting that close to BB's in a Cleveland means something has gone horribly wrong but that's Wargaming games.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

EponymousMrYar posted:

Tanks does have worse +2/-2 matchmaking simply because of how armour works in the game. On the other hand, it is so much harder to carry a match singlehandedly in boats compared to tanks due to other factors. Detection, HE almost always dealing damage, etc.

It's just such a shame that after the Cleveland, you have to play Seattle. A floating trash bin.

Blindeye posted:

I think in general you need to just nerf gun ranges for BBs, cap them at 20km and you will see better play, or at least more equitable play.

This sounds like a good idea on paper, but most players are probably happy enough to sail towards the map border just to avoid getting their paint scratched.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Heartcatch posted:

This sounds like a good idea on paper, but most players are probably happy enough to sail towards the map border just to avoid getting their paint scratched.

Most players will do that no matter what. Taking away their ability to land random citadels every 1/100 shots would nudge a small minority of them towards actually playing well. The rest are too clueless to notice they don't have the range to land any shots.

See also: how most pubbies use torpedoes.

e: for what it's worth I think BBs should auto-detonate if they get within 2 squares of the map edge.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

For what it’s worth if the match is looking bad and I’m looking at Dreadnought and Fireproof flags, I’m making a run for the border.

Also one of my favorite things about the Conqueror is being chronically underestimated. Just went 3 on 1 with a Des Moine, a Montana, and an Iowa and sank all three.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

It's finally time for you to challenge quangdu to a duel.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Started again after a few months' hiatus.

Did they bump the difficulty of scenarios or did people just get a lot dumber?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I never got into this game after beta, so I never played after release. I think I had a pre-purchase package with a bunch of whatever the currency is, and am thinking about installing to mess around as I've been watching some videos that got me interested again.

How is the newbie low-tier game now that the game is pretty mature? Is it terrible like World of Tanks, or is it reasonably playable for an actual newbie?

Edit: Actually it looks like I played 49 battles after Beta ended, so I have some credits, free-xp and 18,500 dubloonies.

The Locator fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Aug 7, 2018

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
18500 doubloons is solid. You can get a lot of premium time with that.

As for the newbie friendliness, unlike tanks you can (almost) always damage any ship. There’s no invulnerable glacis plate while backed into a crevice crap in Warships. Even the best players win by tactics and positioning, not being immune to damage (except by hiding behind hills and arcing shots over them.) but your own positioning and awareness matter a lot.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Phanatic posted:

Started again after a few months' hiatus.

Did they bump the difficulty of scenarios or did people just get a lot dumber?

Both, really.

The Locator posted:

I never got into this game after beta, so I never played after release. I think I had a pre-purchase package with a bunch of whatever the currency is, and am thinking about installing to mess around as I've been watching some videos that got me interested again.

How is the newbie low-tier game now that the game is pretty mature? Is it terrible like World of Tanks, or is it reasonably playable for an actual newbie?

Edit: Actually it looks like I played 49 battles after Beta ended, so I have some credits, free-xp and 18,500 dubloonies.

It's terrible, but you won't have to suffer anything like the Pz38nA or A-20. Everything can hurt everything to some degree, more or less. There are some gems low tier, but that usually means seal clubbers are in them.

I may be ever so slightly biased due to the fact that I don't particularly enjoy driving anything under tier 7.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Ok, so I played one battle and have an immediate question. How can I make my mini-map bigger? It's a tiny little postage stamp in the corner of my screen that I can barely see. :v:

Edit: Nevermind, figured it out in battle 2.

The Locator fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Aug 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Heartcatch posted:

Both, really.

It's terrible, but you won't have to suffer anything like the Pz38nA or A-20. Everything can hurt everything to some degree, more or less. There are some gems low tier, but that usually means seal clubbers are in them.

I may be ever so slightly biased due to the fact that I don't particularly enjoy driving anything under tier 7.

A Kami's occasionally fun to take out, and not so low tier to be considered a truly deplorable sealclubber, but in general I'd agree that most ships sub-T7 just aren't all that much fun for me any more. Bogue was fun too back with the 1/1/0 loadout when T5 still had manual strafing/drops, but that's long gone.