Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

monkeytek posted:

My understanding was Lex Luthor created a condom like appliance that was actually a magnetic bottle similar to those used in Tokamak reactors to slow the semen down to non-lethal speeds, or was that my fan fiction story?

Haven’t any of you seen Mallrats? The issue is thoroughly explored in that movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

At one point in the video, he quickly asks if twisting or turning would actually change the direction in which you were going before the other guy quickly corrects him.

I think the loyal whales of SC should combine to buy a trip up on a Russian rocket to the ISS. Only there can Crobbers truly complete the physics model for the game, in fact I'm sure he would start coding immediately at one of the ISS's com stations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

monkeytek posted:

My understanding was Lex Luthor created a condom like appliance that was actually a magnetic bottle similar to those used in Tokamak reactors to slow the semen down to non-lethal speeds, or was that my fan fiction story?

Pffft. No son. Lex Luthor used gravity goo on Lesnick to 69 Superman to suffocate him. It really is that drat simple.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Pffft. No son. Lex Luthor used gravity goo on Lesnick to 69 Superman to suffocate him. It really is that drat simple.

Wouldn't that cause a singularity?

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

TheAgent posted:

how much UEC did you buy today

Huh?

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Deadguy2322 posted:

Haven’t any of you seen Mallrats? The issue is thoroughly explored in that movie.

Yeah, but that was 1990s science.

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

At one point in the video, he quickly asks if twisting or turning would actually change the direction in which you were going before the other guy quickly corrects him.

If that's the video I think it is, the 'other guy' is Richard Garriott.

Roberts got his space corrected by Lord 'Dick' British.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Beet Wagon posted:

And technically, those bulletproof vests did provide some protection against bullets:

That particular vest I posted was defeated by shrapnel, but literally my first post on the topic covered the dubious nature of their usefulness, as well as the heavy, cumbersome nature that led soldiers to abandon those vests. Like... what point are you even trying to argue right now?

I think obviously the US won the Revolutionary and Civil Wars thanks to glorious cavalry charges of men in full platemail who were just regular old dudes who saved up their beer money for a couple months, duh.

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!

EvilMerlin posted:

Does it matter?

Wow, now I get what y'all said earlier about HEMA nerds being insufferable.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

You post bad.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

tooterfish posted:

To be fair, no one who used them ever complained.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADE_651

quote:

The ADE 651 consists of a swivelling antenna mounted via a hinge to a plastic handgrip. It requires no battery or other power source; its manufacturer claimed that it is powered solely by the user's static electricity. To use the device, the operator must walk for a few moments to "charge" it before holding it at right angles to the body. After a substance-specific "programmed substance detection card" is inserted, the device is supposed to swivel in the user's hand to point its antenna in the direction of the target substance. The cards are claimed to be designed to "tune into" the "frequency" of a particular explosive or other substance named on the card. According to Husam Muhammad, an Iraqi police officer and user of the ADE 651, using the device properly is more of an art than a science: "If we are tense, the device doesn't work correctly. I start slow, and relax my body, and I try to clear my mind." The cards were supposedly "programmed" or "activated" by being placed in a jar for a week along with a sample of the target substance to absorb the substance's "vapours". Initially, McCormick reportedly used his own blood to "program" the cards for detecting human tissue, but eventually gave up even the pretense of "programming" them when demand for the devices was at its peak.

Any instrument that requires the user to be in a 'state of mind' before producing consistent results is a scam.

Best thing is that it's effectively a stupid proto-Theranos and wasn't actually alone in terms of wild rear end claims and/or devices, and they used it with all seriousness for two years, with the Iraqi military defending it's use. The last part is really important when trying to understand the backfire effect.

Even worse was the GT200, because it got hawked by the government for a decade;

quote:

On 27 February 2011 the British government told BBC Newsnight that it had helped Global Technical sell the GT200 around the world between 2001 and 2004. Royal Engineers sales teams demonstrated the devices at arms fairs and the UK Department of Trade and Industry helped two companies sell the GT200 and similar products in Mexico and the Philippines. On 12 July 2012, Andrew Penhale, Deputy Head of the Crown Prosecution Service's Central Fraud Division, authorised charges against six individuals, including Gary Bolton, for the manufacture, promotion and sale of a range of fraudulent substance detector devices. Bolton was formally charged at the City of London Magistrates' Court on 19 July with one count of fraud by false representation and one count of making or supplying an item for use in fraud between January and July 2012, and pleaded not guilty to both charges. Bolton was convicted on 26 July 2013 at The Old Bailey and released on bail pending sentence. Bolton was subsequently sentenced to 7 years Imprisonment on 20 August 2013. Bolton was also ordered to pay over £1.25 million to prevent seven additional years of imprisonment. Bolton reportedly made £45 million selling the fraudulent devices.

Ditto for the Alpha 6 and Sniffex. All dowsing rods being used by world governments; some even today, to look for explosives.

Edit: Note the complete turnaround here;

quote:

The government of Thailand was a major purchaser of the Alpha 6. The country's Interior Ministry bought 479 of the devices and the Office of the Narcotics Control Board (ONCB), part of the Justice Ministry, bought a further 15. The ONCB began using the devices in 2007 to combat drug smuggling in northern Thailand. It bought its units at a price of 400,000 baht (US$12,000) apiece. It claimed that its Alpha 6 units were highly effective, achieving a 70 percent success rate and helping to identify drug traffickers and smuggled drugs. The head of the OCNB, Police Lt General Krissana Phon-anan, said that the devices work so well that the agency no longer uses dogs to detect narcotics. The Interior Ministry plans to procure more Alpha 6 devices and train 1,000 volunteers to use them. Its own Alpha 6 devices were procured at a much higher price than those of the Narcotics Control Board, at 720,000 baht (US$21,600) each. The total cost of the devices has been around 351 million baht (US$10.6 million).

Following a controversy about the effectiveness of the GT200 "remote substance detector", similar questions were raised about the Alpha 6. Thai Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva ordered scientific tests of the GT200 in February 2010 to verify its claimed effectiveness. The tests found that the GT200's detection rate was no more effective than random chance. In the wake of the GT200 scandal, the Science and Technology Ministry announced that it would broaden its tests at the request of the Ministry of the Interior and the Ministry of Justice to verify the claimed effectiveness of the Alpha 6.

The Alpha 6 devices were demonstrated and supplied to the Thai authorities by a local Thai company and purchased from a UK company, Comstrac. The GT200 was manufactured by the British company, Global Technical, and distributed by its Thai distributor, Avia Satcom Co.

The Alpha 6 drugs detector case was declared "closed" in May 2018 by Thailand's National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) after 10 years of investigation. Three minor officials are deemed responsible for the purchase of 493 of the "worthless [Alpha 6] boxes" at a cost of 350 million baht. The British scammer who sold the devices to Thailand was found guilty of fraud in the UK and imprisoned in 2013. The Bangkok Post fumed that, "The disappointing and unsatisfactory outcome of this astoundingly long investigation shows up the enormous failings of the anti-graft commission."

Hav fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Aug 6, 2018

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
YOUTUBE: Calling All Devs - Aspects of Flight and Landing

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Pash posted:

I think obviously the US won the Revolutionary and Civil Wars thanks to glorious cavalry charges of men in full platemail who were just regular old dudes who saved up their beer money for a couple months, duh.

I see you're not versed with the sheer rear end-kicking power of the United States Marine Corps.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

"No true Scotsman...."

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

monkeytek posted:

Ditto for the Alpha 6 and Sniffex. All dowsing rods being used by world governments; some even today, to look for explosives.
I know all about them. I was just making a bad joke.

I know the manufacturer got lots of stick, but there's no way those things got as far as they did without some serious kickbacks being handed out. Any oval office who signed off on them should be made to clear minefields the old fashioned way imo: with nothing but a bayonet and a cold sweat. Set of bastards.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

tooterfish posted:

I thought it was funny. Hav's earnest response added to the humor.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Scruffpuff posted:

Well this whole game is a bad joke.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

tooterfish posted:

No jokes are bad, my friend.

tooterfish posted:

I know the manufacturer got lots of stick, but there's no way those things got as far as they did without some serious kickbacks being handed out. Any oval office who signed off on them should be made to clear minefields the old fashioned way imo: with nothing but a bayonet and a cold sweat. Set of bastards.

My point was there was more than one divining rod out there, and the sheer idiocy that is that procurers didn't buy one and dismantle the loving thing like we'd do in any level of due diligence. And that's the military.

We're probably going to find the F35 stuffed with hamsters.

And I'm with you. As I recall McCormick was approached by someone and claimed that the device worked perfectly in it's stated job of 'making money'. You may as well have soldiers throwing a loving dice at a checkpoint.

All of this poo poo; Theranos, Enron, Divining rods on the front line, it's all scams. BS intended to allow lovely people to lease Porsches.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Agony Aunt posted:

This one made me consider...

The bolded part made me think about this, and how I don't know anybody in real life who has backed SC. I know plenty of people who bought ED (because i've got lots of nerdy friends), and to be fair, a lot of them got bored with it fairly quickly. But i don't know a single person who has backed SC. In fact, when i've discussed games with my gaming friends and mentioned SC they have said "What's that?". I then had to start talking about Wing Comannder, Elite, etc, to which they would say they know those, and they have heard of ED, but not SC.
There's one guy at my workplace who backed it and who used to try and talk to me about it almost everytime we ran into each other, but even he has not mentioned it in a long time. Maybe he has become disillusioned :shrug:

People who frequent gaming forums, gaming related subreddits and such tend to be a rather small but somewhat loud minority. Most people just play games based on if it looks interesting or if they hear good things about it from people in real life. If they don't like what they see in a game, or if a previous game disappointed them, they simply don't buy it and instead move on. They might visit some website if they have a specific issue with a game, like if it doesn't run or whatever, but this train wreck that is SC has played out almost entirely in a part of the Internet that the silent crowds don't even see.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Scruffpuff posted:

Fractal AND Recursive.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

TheAgent posted:

this is the star citizen thread

who cares, :justpost:

if my man is trying to walk the tight rope of passing judgement on our shitposting, than he better be ready for shots being fired back if he misses his mark

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Huh? So is the argument that the wealth of NPCs scales in line with the wealth of players? That's a tad bizarre.

Also it would create some bizarre situations when mega whale player A is causing the NPCs to get richer in parallel, but poor player B is pootling along but the gap in wealth between him and the NPCs is growing.... and what is this crap anyway about NPCs getting richer? They are just NPCs who will despawn when not needed.... lol, of course, CR thinks they are going to be permentantly working away simulated on the servers forever... for the millions of players *cough* there will be 10s of millions of simulated NPCs!!!! Bull loving poo poo.

Actually, i think we all know, if it ever reaches 1.0, its going to be a gankathon.

Agony Aunt fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Aug 6, 2018

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Agony Aunt posted:

Huh? So is the argument that the wealth of NPCs scales in line with the wealth of players? That's a tad bizarre.

[...]

Bull loving poo poo.

Yeah, particularly how the optimal route for subsumption to take would be pooling the resources of the NPCs to directly oppose the purchasing power of the bourgeoisie.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

Agony Aunt posted:

Actually, i think we all know, if it ever reaches 1.0, its going to be a gankathon.

This is my hope.
Protection rackets will be a thing.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

space-X-chicken posted:

still reading this threat guys. i'm just posting in behalf of all the lurkers out there.

and now for something completely different:
I think B'Tak is some sort of Anti-Goon.
Like with antimatter an matter.
Whenever he will cross a goon i guarantee there will be a big explosion.

this is not scott manley, fly save!

(OMG there where more typos in my post than correct words...and i'm just on coffee)

:justpost: friend

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

The whole 9:1 NPCs involved in the economy is just a bunch of malarkey.

It has no basis in anything real, it's just a piece of lore that will be used by CIG to justify whatever price they set for goods in either Real Money or Fake Money.

Since there is no crafting, and no way to create wealth in-game aside from mission rewards (reportedly peanuts), selling ore to vendors (as vendor trash), or purchasing UEC with Real Money, you can be pretty well assured that the floor for in-game prices will be the Real Money equivalent, as there is no manufacturing base to undercut the Roberts Monopoly.

But complain about the prices, and they will trot out "but the 9:1 NPC free market is setting the prices, there's nothing we can do about it."

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

HAHAHAHAHA! The first shot will always miss, so that aggressors won't have an unfair advantage.

I am so close to buying this game simply to kill this guy over and over.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

monkeytek posted:

HAHAHAHAHA! The first shot will always miss, so that aggressors won't have an unfair advantage.

I am so close to buying this game simply to kill this guy over and over.

This is actually exactly how it works in a lot of first person shooters. Though I think that's generally only in single player.

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

Bofast posted:

There's one guy at my workplace who backed it and who used to try and talk to me about it almost everytime we ran into each other, but even he has not mentioned it in a long time. Maybe he has become disillusioned :shrug:

Next time you run into him, there's only one question to ask. "So, have you.. answered the call yet ?".

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

I've been laughing at this all day. It's a work of art;

I still haven't found the kitchen sink, but it has to be in there.

iamjohnsalt
Dec 6, 2017

I can't wait to join star citizens fidelititious universe and corner the market on the production and sale of bespoke divining rods.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.altchar.com/games-news/573632/chris-roberts-defends-uec-cap-removal-in-star-citizen

quote:

In the video above, Chris Roberts spoke up how the game is not pay to win and never will be since it's an open ended persistent sandbox universe that doesn't have an end or a win-state. Another thing it doesn't have is a release date, but that didn't come up.

Yet, for some reason the game has PvP, which inherently has a clearly defined win-state. This may have slipped the CEO's mind since odds are high that a lot of his brainpower is devoted to the more pressing matter of perpetual monetisation.

He also stated that it puzzles him that critics complain about the UEC cap being pay to win but not the ships they bought directly for real life currency. This would make a great argument since buying in-game currency with real life money or directly purchasing a ship with it is pretty much the same. CIG gets paid either way.

The only problem with this is that Star Citizen's ship purchases and their ridiculous prices are a regular occurrence on many media outlets, so the criticism was there all along. It's rather troubling that Cloud Imperium Games chose to ignore this though.

:drat:

https://gamingbolt.com/star-citizens-chris-roberts-on-communitys-pay-to-win-concerns-you-win-by-having-fun

quote:

It’s definitely a bad look for the game, and for Cloud Imperium Games… and Chris Roberts, the head of the project, has made a tone dead response that definitely does not inspire confidence either.

“This may be a foreign concept to gamers as the majority of games are about winning and losing,” he said in a PR statement, “but Star Citizen isn’t a normal game. It’s a First Person Universe that allows you to live a virtual life in a compelling futuristic setting. You win by having fun, and fun is different things to different people.”

So basically, he spouts some PR stuff about how the game has no victory state, and completely sidesteps the question of early players being able to buy their way to an advantage. Great.

:allears:

Daztek fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Aug 6, 2018

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Hav posted:

Graffiti from Pompei;

The more things change, the more you want to see some hairy privates.

edit: Seems that street-pooping was a Roman era issue.

They probably learned street pooping from the ancient and advanced kingdom of China, or something :shrug:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

meow.

Bofast posted:

They probably learned street pooping from the ancient and advanced kingdom of China, or something :shrug:

Sadly, it appears that the Hammurabi is silent on the matter of street-pooping, begging the question, was Babylon free of boardwalk jobbies, or were they more accepting to surprise roadway turds of human provenance.

Y'see we waste all that money on 'ancient aliens', when we don't know the basics of when street-pooping became a thing.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Hav posted:

I've been laughing at this all day. It's a work of art;

I still haven't found the kitchen sink, but it has to be in there.

:eyepop: I am not sure what I'm looking at, but it does seem to fall under the article of :justpost:

mjotto
Nov 8, 2017
From altchar

Star Citizen - the eternal fundraiser

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bofast posted:

:eyepop: I am not sure what I'm looking at, but it does seem to fall under the article of :justpost:

It's a rendering of the Q-web in a typically psychotic fashion where none of the interconnections make any sense.

Alternatively, it's a communication from someone hiding communication in plain sight by getting a couple of very noticeable things 'wrong', leading the observer to try and fill in the blanks. That's not Ra, it's Horus, and the Brezinskis should be together. No sign of the Philadephia experiment, either. But I can't give too much away.

Which is more sane? (Follow the white rabbit)