Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

TheKingofSprings posted:

Just loving print Force of Will into Modern already because we have enough evidence that this poo poo is going to happen again and again as long as they keep injecting more cards into the format

1000% agree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
The problem is once you reach a critical intersection of how poo poo a deck is to play against, how it uses an edge case in the rules, and how popular it is. I think with KCI we're probably about at that point that's going to make something give, especially given historical ban reasons re: poo poo taking too drat long.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Is this the MTG rules equivalent of, "Criminals will just break the law anyway, so why bother making any?"

It's more the MTG rules equivalent of making huffing paint fumes illegal but not heroin, or something.

I'm bad at analogies.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Just loving print Force of Will into Modern already because we have enough evidence that this poo poo is going to happen again and again as long as they keep injecting more cards into the format

But fow helps combo decks!

(Print fow)

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
is there any good reason why magic doesn't use a chess clock system?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Das Butterbrot posted:

It would reveal how cumbersome the priority system is.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Das Butterbrot posted:

In a turn where neither player takes an action priority passes like 12 times. It's just not realistic.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Das Butterbrot posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2LStqH4qu4

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
What would have to change about mana abilities in order to hinder KCI without banning a card?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Jabor posted:

Sure, just get rid of being able to activate mana abilities in the middle of something being cast or resolving, make people produce their mana beforehand. Paper can handle it just fine now that we have out-of-order sequencing and people aren't going to get DQd for putting a spell on the table before tapping their lands, and as a bonus it closes all sorts of other stupid loopholes with mana abilities.

The only casualty is digital magic, where you need to come up with some way to handle the UX of stuff like Mana Leak that isn't "haha, you didn't tap your lands in time so you don't get a choice!". (That said, it handled having both Deathrite Shaman and Daze in the same format for so long, maybe you can just teach people how to do it?)

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Entropic posted:

It's kind of infuriating how maro's response so far has just been waffling about power levels and how it'll be fine once Play Design makes sure no more broken ones get released.

Christ, if they're intentionally bad then what is even the point of BaB promos? And if they're actually playable then you get a Nexus of Fate situation. Both of those scenarios seem bad. They really need to go back to the BaB promo just being a some random rare from the set, ASAP.

Seriously, I want to know is what was wrong with the practice of printing an alt-art version of a good card from the set. It seemed to work fine when they did Restoration Angel in AVR and Supreme Verdict in RTR.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Wizards' solution to combo decks they don't like in Modern tends to start with banning cantrips first, so I assume if they decide to do something about KCI it'll be banning the best cantrip in Modern, Ancient Stirrings

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Elyv posted:

Wizards' solution to combo decks they don't like in Modern tends to start with banning cantrips first, so I assume if they decide to do something about KCI it'll be banning the best cantrip in Modern, Ancient Stirrings

RIP, like three different decks

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Just slam Wheel of Sun and Moon.

Funny against KCI targeting them, REALLY funny against lantern targeting yourself.

Seriously stop asking for bans on everything for fucks sake. the deck in no way needs a ban. It's not Eldrazi levels of stupid.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

AnEdgelord posted:

At least Storm is deterministic, can be interacted with and doesnt take advantage of any bizarre corner case rules interactions.

I don't think storm is deterministic, since it can whiff pretty easily at any point in the cycle

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Just slam Wheel of Sun and Moon.

Funny against KCI targeting them, REALLY funny against lantern targeting yourself.

Seriously atop asking for bans to everything for fucks sakem the deck on no way needs a ban. It's not Eldrazi levels of stupid.

Why is that card seven dollars?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

I don't think storm is deterministic, since it can whiff pretty easily at any point in the cycle

You're right on traditional Storm but the current Storm plan in Modern is to cast Gifts and then win

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

The gifts loop in current storm puts you up 6 storm for nothing, it’s reasonably consistent

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

TheMaestroso posted:

Seriously, I want to know is what was wrong with the practice of printing an alt-art version of a good card from the set. It seemed to work fine when they did Restoration Angel in AVR and Supreme Verdict in RTR.

Yeah, it seems like if you want to use the promos to help move boxes, you don't need some special exclusive gimmick card, you just need to choose an obviously playable card from the set as the promo.

They could have made the M19 promo Scapeshift or Crucible of Worlds.

Or if they for some reason didn't want it to be a reprint, just pick some rare that's probably gonna be Standard or Modern playable like the Spirit lord, or Thorn Lieutenant or Resplendent Angel. Or one of the Elder Dragons.

Of course if you look at the promos they chose before, they've kind of been on a losing streak of picking playable ones since about 2016. I mean the last one before they started doing exclusives was loving Captain's Hook in Rivals of Ixalan. Good job guys, that'll move boxes.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Elyv posted:

That "here's why KCI should be banned" article from a few pages back floated Faithless Looting as a dark horse candidate for the next ban cycle. Which is funny overall because you end up down a card and funny in that context specifically because KCI doesn't even run Looting AFAIK.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

C-Euro posted:

That "here's why KCI should be banned" article from a few pages back floated Faithless Looting as a dark horse candidate for the next ban cycle. Which is funny overall because you end up down a card and funny in that context specifically because KCI doesn't even run Looting AFAIK.

Looting is one of the best designed cards Red has gotten in the past 20 years. No way does it deserve a ban in any format, ever.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

A chess-clock system for time-keeping is entirely viable if there are rules/procedure for short-cutting (e.g. IRL F6 when I can't do anything on your turn), and it's an entirely reasonable solution to time management at Comp./Prof. REL.

E: The important part here is that players would have their own time as a resource to manage, rather than getting to consume a shared pool of time. The current state of the game means players who are efficient at managing their time/making decisions reward players who are not by giving them more time to play, and those same players punish average players by consuming more of the time in proportion.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Isn't Ancient Stirrings the problem card?

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Hellsau posted:

Of course not. If there wasn't historical precedent, they probably wouldn't post any MTGO lists either.

That's garbage. I'm sad.

Entropic posted:

It's kind of infuriating how maro's response so far has just been waffling about power levels and how it'll be fine once Play Design makes sure no more broken ones get released.

Christ, if they're intentionally bad then what is even the point of BaB promos? And if they're actually playable then you get a Nexus of Fate situation. Both of those scenarios seem bad. They really need to go back to the BaB promo just being a some random rare from the set, ASAP.

Make it a chase Modern reprint with alt art. They could've done Crucible and/or Scapeshift there, instead of taking up rare slots in the set itself for cards useless in Draft and Standard.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Koirhor posted:

Yes, in general, but not specifically for KCI which can still dig through its deck for five or ten minutes and fizzle without casting stirrings once.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Silhouette posted:

ahahahaha, apparently professional greaseball/owner of the wispiest bitch beard in history Jeremy Hambly/UnsleevedMedia got his poo poo pushed in at GenCon

:lol:

Hey, the video in the post seems to have been taken down, is there a mirror anywhere?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Koirhor posted:

I'm personally not reasonably convinced there is even a problem in the first place.

Modern is fine.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Mikujin posted:

A chess-clock system for time-keeping is entirely viable if there are rules/procedure for short-cutting (e.g. IRL F6 when I can't do anything on your turn), and it's an entirely reasonable solution to time management at Comp./Prof. REL.

E: The important part here is that players would have their own time as a resource to manage, rather than getting to consume a shared pool of time. The current state of the game means players who are efficient at managing their time/making decisions reward players who are not by giving them more time to play, and those same players punish average players by consuming more of the time in proportion.

So your solution to wasting time is to bring thousands of chess clocks to every tournament, make people mash them 6 times each minimum every turn assuming absolutely nothing happens plus at least 1 more time every time something does happen, introduce confusion and judge calls because "my opponent hit the clock when they still had priority," or "hey this clock isn't switching when I hit it," or whatever else can happen?

That doesn't sound like a very good use of time or money.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Kci being banned is not a question of power level but the logistical problems it creates for organized play.

A similarly resilient and/or power level engine combo deck would be completely acceptable but KCI itself is a clusterfuck of a deck that should be nuked ASAP.

Also a stirrings ban is a bad idea since it 1. Doesnt 100% kill kci and 2. Does far more damage to other decks than kci

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

The Shortest Path posted:

KCI still functions without the "bizarre corner case rules interactions", and would still take long turns in inexperienced hands, it's just less consistent.

Those "corner cases" are weak poo poo compared to some of the more heinous bullshit you can break the rules with too, by the way.

When you had magic hall of famers on camera multiple times loving things up and being confused as poo poo as how their deck works, that is a problem.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

AnEdgelord posted:

Kci being banned is not a question of power level but the logistical problems it creates for organized play.

A similarly resilient and/or power level engine combo deck would be completely acceptable but KCI itself is a clusterfuck of a deck that should be nuked ASAP.

Also a stirrings ban is a bad idea since it 1. Doesnt 100% kill kci and 2. Does far more damage to other decks than kci

Its both honestly.

One problem I specifically have had against the deck is that some pilots are attempting to play it really fast and loose. Players playing at 100mph, often performing illegal actions because the combo is so complex. I had a long judge call this weekend because an opponent wasn't keeping track of his available mana properly and just started to cast spells without mana about 4 actions deep before I could get him to loving stop and let me call a judge. Unfucking it was a mess.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

AnEdgelord posted:

This is a stupid argument. "Because it's hard" is never a reason to ban a deck. I dont play KCI but I like to play against it. I have no problem asking the player to slow down and talk through the steps to make sure they are doing it right.

Sickening posted:

Its both honestly.

One problem I specifically have had against the deck is that some pilots are attempting to play it really fast and loose. Players playing at 100mph, often performing illegal actions because the combo is so complex. I had a long judge call this weekend because an opponent wasn't keeping track of his available mana properly and just started to cast spells without mana about 4 actions deep before I could get him to loving stop and let me call a judge. Unfucking it was a mess.

That's just a stupid player that needs to be given a game loss, not an issue with the deck.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Complicated combos should be allowed IMO and also really, really easily subject to game losses.

Screw up your mana count in the middle? Misrepresent the game state?

You lose, go to the next game.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

GoutPatrol posted:

When you had magic hall of famers on camera multiple times loving things up and being confused as poo poo as how their deck works, that is a problem.

They should play a deck they understand then

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Maybe it's just because I've been doing similar poo poo for the past several years in commander but KCI combo is not hard to execute or keep track of at all, the people who are loving it up at tournaments should just be handed game losses and move on imo.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
KCI decks take 10+ minutes to resolve a turn which might NOT end a game in an era where most competitive settings allow decks 50 minutes to play three games.

KCI is almost completely non-interactive, both ways. It’s almost impossible to interact with in a meaningful way once it gets going and it doesn’t even bother try to interact with it’s opponent in any meaningful way other then ‘kill you.’

KCI only exists because of rules holes that most players don’t know, making interacting with it even harder because most people don’t know how or where you can even ATTEMPT to meddle with it (often fruitlessly, but hey you tried)

Even most pros are botching finishing plays with the deck because of the exploits in the rules the deck floats in. The only thing worse then watching KCI spin it’s wheels for 10 minutes only to not get there is to watch KCI spin it’s wheels for ten minutes only to not get there because it’s pilot flubs an interaction. This leads to players playing slower so they don’t screw up which no god no why nooooooooo

So you’re stuck watching your opponent play solitaire Magic with a hand full of interaction that can’t actually interact with them and even if you win it’s probably because you caught them screwing up eight minutes into their turn, which you gotta watch the whole way because you can’t just assume you won’t get bamboozled if you just check out while they go about their business.

KCI combo is cancer to play against, horrible to watch, and frustrating and draining to actually play. The fact that it’s hard to play has little to do with why it has to die.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

80s James Hetfield posted:

Just concede any match when you realize you're playing the Fog deck....that'll show em

There's a vignette from Infinite Jest about a tennis player who would show up to every match with a loaded gun and threaten to shot himself in the head if the opponent didn't concede. This worked over and over and he won tournament after tournament. Of course, all these victories were hollow and brought him no joy or actualization.

What I'm saying people should snap concede to decks they hate as a form of protest to deprive the pilot of any satisfaction.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Mr. Locke posted:

KCI decks take 10+ minutes to resolve a turn which might NOT end a game in an era where most competitive settings allow decks 50 minutes to play three games.

KCI is almost completely non-interactive, both ways. It’s almost impossible to interact with in a meaningful way once it gets going and it doesn’t even bother try to interact with it’s opponent in any meaningful way other then ‘kill you.’

KCI only exists because of rules holes that most players don’t know, making interacting with it even harder because most people don’t know how or where you can even ATTEMPT to meddle with it (often fruitlessly, but hey you tried)

Even most pros are botching finishing plays with the deck because of the exploits in the rules the deck floats in. The only thing worse then watching KCI spin it’s wheels for 10 minutes only to not get there is to watch KCI spin it’s wheels for ten minutes only to not get there because it’s pilot flubs an interaction. This leads to players playing slower so they don’t screw up which no god no why nooooooooo

So you’re stuck watching your opponent play solitaire Magic with a hand full of interaction that can’t actually interact with them and even if you win it’s probably because you caught them screwing up eight minutes into their turn, which you gotta watch the whole way because you can’t just assume you won’t get bamboozled if you just check out while they go about their business.

KCI combo is cancer to play against, horrible to watch, and frustrating and draining to actually play. The fact that it’s hard to play has little to do with why it has to die.

Play another game then. Taking Turns does the same loving thing. Lantern is awful. Blood moon can make you never play a card the whole game etc.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
All the same cards exist in Legacy yet are somehow not a loving problem, I wonder why

Hmm

HMM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

TheKingofSprings posted:

All the same cards exist in Legacy yet are somehow not a loving problem, I wonder why

Hmm

HMM

Wasteland.