Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I couldn't tell you when exactly did MLP start losing its thread. I think it was sometimes after season 3? I stopped watching around that time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Das Boo posted:

I currently work on a show where we can't show junk food because our demographic might be influenced. A friend pitched a preschool show but was turned down on the premise, "Your character can't be sad. Young kids don't like to see other kids sad." Young Justice got axed because too many girls liked it. Another friend is caught in reboard hell because the network is reserving intricate animation ventures for male-focused shows. Another one was told to make their lead more feminine because the boys in the test audience were confused about her gender.

There are exceptions (usually regarding your name), but the constraints are very real.

wow this is depressing.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Das Boo posted:

I currently work on a show where we can't show junk food because our demographic might be influenced. A friend pitched a preschool show but was turned down on the premise, "Your character can't be sad. Young kids don't like to see other kids sad." Young Justice got axed because too many girls liked it. Another friend is caught in reboard hell because the network is reserving intricate animation ventures for male-focused shows. Another one was told to make their lead more feminine because the boys in the test audience were confused about her gender.

There are exceptions (usually regarding your name), but the constraints are very real.

Jesus reminds me of the ridiculous poo poo Reboot had to go through before they channel hopped, Dot got a uniboob because realistic anatomy is too sexy, Enzo and Dot can't hug because it would promote incest,

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Robindaybird posted:

Jesus reminds me of the ridiculous poo poo Reboot had to go through before they channel hopped, Dot got a uniboob because realistic anatomy is too sexy, Enzo and Dot can't hug because it would promote incest,

Okay the latter sounds crazy but look what happened once we allowed cartoon characters to hug

look what happened

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Pick posted:

Okay the latter sounds crazy but look what happened once we allowed cartoon characters to hug

look what happened

characters...hugged???

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There's a reason cartoons have a long, long history of creators being the biggest dick rear end genies they can about network restrictions, see half of what the DCAU got away with.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Yep, Book Revue had a segment where Daffy was lusciously describing a woman using Lucky Strikes' slang on a yellow background, lot of people theorized this bit was made as Censor bait and was expected to be cut, but it stayed.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Coincidentally I actually watched "Book Revue" recently (it's one of the ones I remember most from when I was little which seemed to disappear from repeats as I grew up - another is the Tom and Jerry episode "The Mouse From H.U.N.G.E.R.") and I was wondering - is the portrayal of Sinatra as this tiny emaciated guy being wheeled around by an orderly a reference to anything in particular or is it just a straightforward "Haha, that guy all the kids like sure is skinny!" gag?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Young Justice is coming back though?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Das Boo posted:

The first season of the first show I ever worked on couldn't have the characters frown for the entire season because that wouldn't be positive enough for pre-schoolers. In the second season they relaxed and there was even a fight between the mom and daughter.

A lot of people try to sneak stuff into these kinds of shows to be subversive. Sometimes it works and its fun and other times it ends with that person not being at work the next day and nobody will say why.

The stuff the DCAU got away with on TV is amazing. Too bad none of these shows are animated in North America. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRousqD1A4s

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Maybe they revamped it to keep the cooties out!

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I think lack of tie in toys killed the series the first time. Recently I think networks are relying less on toy sales now that Toys R Us is out of business and toys in general are losing popularity to video games.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Reminding anyone who never watched The Humpbacked Horse (1977) that it's amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XjmpIAUZw0

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Ccs posted:

I think lack of tie in toys killed the series the first time. Recently I think networks are relying less on toy sales now that Toys R Us is out of business and toys in general are losing popularity to video games.

They killed it the first time because girls don't buy toys, apparently.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

Coincidentally I actually watched "Book Revue" recently (it's one of the ones I remember most from when I was little which seemed to disappear from repeats as I grew up - another is the Tom and Jerry episode "The Mouse From H.U.N.G.E.R.") and I was wondering - is the portrayal of Sinatra as this tiny emaciated guy being wheeled around by an orderly a reference to anything in particular or is it just a straightforward "Haha, that guy all the kids like sure is skinny!" gag?

Have you seen pictures of Sinatra from the early 40s?

I love all the immediately dated "stuff comes to life" shorts since they're a good cross section of what was popular at the time. Though, I only knew people like Sinatra, Crosby, and Bogart from what I saw in cartoons until I got into classic film.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
Also, probably don't bother watching the Have You Got Any Castles short, which is literally just Book Revue but worse in every way.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Thompsons posted:

Also, probably don't bother watching the Have You Got Any Castles short, which is literally just Book Revue but worse in every way.

Book Revue was sort of a remake of the B&W cartoon A Coy Decoy.

That one doesn't get shown anymore because it has a gag with Daffy walking into Black Beauty and emerging riding a large black woman.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Egbert Souse posted:

Have you seen pictures of Sinatra from the early 40s?

Yeah, he was incredibly thin when he first came onto the scene, then him getting an 4-F (for a perforated eardrum) just fuel the idea he's unhealthily scrawny

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Sure, I've seen him from the 40s, but I guess the image of Sinatra I have in my mind is from his Rat Pack days when he was older.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
man the Afro Samurai movies fuckin slap

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

The hell was up with the plot of the second one? IIRC didn't they make up a second girl at the orphanage just to have her come back as the villian instead of the first orphanage girl?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I dreamed one morning of a live action One Piece movie. I can only wonder how that'd go down.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Sinners Sandwich posted:

The hell was up with the plot of the second one? IIRC didn't they make up a second girl at the orphanage just to have her come back as the villian instead of the first orphanage girl?

sorta-kinda, not really? Sio's not from the orphanage, she's Jinno's brother who got adopted away to a rich family when he went to the dojo and Afro's shown as only having met her a couple times when she was a kid. and, frankly, she's not really a villain, because the point of Resurrection is making Afro confront that he's basically turned into a slightly different Justice.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I dreamed one morning of a live action One Piece movie. I can only wonder how that'd go down.

badly, I'm still loving salty over the FMA live action one - Do not treat Alphonse like a damsel in distress because his CGI is too expensive, you could've cut down on that super epic fight in the opening if it means keeping him in the plot.

And they manage to even gently caress up everything around Hughes' death, pity given the actor cast as Hughes was dead on

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Robindaybird posted:

badly, I'm still loving salty over the FMA live action one - Do not treat Alphonse like a damsel in distress because his CGI is too expensive, you could've cut down on that super epic fight in the opening if it means keeping him in the plot.

And they manage to even gently caress up everything around Hughes' death, pity given the actor cast as Hughes was dead on

Oh, anime movies definitely can't work on the shithouse budgets they always get. Speed Racer is a clear exception and example of how to make it work; go WITH the absurdity, not against it. (though it was pretty divergent to have basically F-Zero style tracks where the Mach 5 is typical rather than the original's comparatively grounded if gimmicky car races where the Mach 5 is an exceptional vehicle)

Nor when the producers seem to fundamentally not understand why it's popular in the first place, and both try to shoehorn it into a typical Hollywood mold while also making jarring, unnecessary changes, like with Ghost in the Shell and Battle Angel Alita.

Or in the case of Dragon Ball Evolution, you get the worst of both worlds. And an honorary mention for The Last Airbender.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/SarahKSilverman/status/1027650101378994176

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

On the DC Universe streaming service together with Titans, where they can make an animated show cater to the CW crowd and not worry about toy sales.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

This reminds me of that discourse I saw some time ago that basically boiled down to "stop jerking off to how much you're feminist and hip, Disney, you still have plenty of problems"

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I just looked up what sessions are available for TTGttM at my local cinema here in Australia and for some pants-on-head-stupid reason they're not releasing it until September 13 :wtc:

They time kids releases for school holidays, despite it being proven to lose them heaps of money because piracy surges when we are made to wait behind American audiences. The Lego Movie is estimated to have lost $5 million in Australia pursuing this strategy. Most blockbuster releases have fixed their schedule to account for this, except for John Wick 2 which was delayed by three months for some reason.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Every time I see it abbreviated as TTGttM I think we're talking about Tom Goes to the Mayor and I get excited

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

ALFbrot posted:

Every time I see it abbreviated as TTGttM I think we're talking about Tom Goes to the Mayor and I get excited

No, because that was terrible and this film is great.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Maybe if we dig up that "I love chinks" bit Disney'll fire her.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Aside from Pocahontas still looking weird, I actually like this casual wear look for the princesses, even if Snow White's is a little too meta-y for my tastes.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6PkKUN12cI

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I love all these princess scenes and I want to see more of the racing girl. All y'all haters of this movie can eat my butt

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Gal Gadot is playing literally the exact same character as Calhoun from the first WIR, can this movie look any worse?

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I still don't know what the plot of this movie is.

In the first movie, Ralph is tired of being the bad guy and explores different games to find himself, as the hero of his game seeks to bring him back and fix everything, I remember the first trailer making that clear.

In this movie, Ralph and Vanelope go to the internet to meet all your favorite brands, and... hang out with them?

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax

Das Boo posted:

this is fascinating and dismaying

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Raserys posted:

I still don't know what the plot of this movie is.

In the first movie, Ralph is tired of being the bad guy and explores different games to find himself, as the hero of his game seeks to bring him back and fix everything, I remember the first trailer making that clear.

In this movie, Ralph and Vanelope go to the internet to meet all your favorite brands, and... hang out with them?

I read a leaked script. In the end, Ralph and Vanelope become a sort of Galactus and Silver Surfer duo, looking for media congomerates to swallow and absorb into the Disney empire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The Wreck it Ralph movie should be all about Nazis invading the internet, and the brands meekly submitting to them.