Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
You're an idiot if you spend more than the $8 Steam early access price for Dead Cells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Sorry that you're poor

before anybody gets livid, this is an unsourced quote from earlier in the thread

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Andrast posted:

I have no idea how developers can't get 2D games to run at 60 these days

probably poo poo like this

https://twitter.com/DodgeRollGames/status/593625936131653632

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Andrast posted:

The backgrounds in Dead Cells are 2D, but the characters are 3D models.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

This is one of my favorite tweets ever, very cool to see gungeon playing from that angle

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005

Jonny_Rocket posted:

What games would you recommend I play next? I’m interested in Octopath Traveler after trying the demo, how is the game? I’m also strangely drawn to Stardew Valley, Yoku’s Island Express and Nine Parchments. I’d love to hear your thoughts and recommendations

I would get Stardew Valley, the Fortnite battle pass (Fortnite is free to play, having the battle pass just gives you side objectives and cosmetics), Picross S, one of the gazillion <$10 arcade shmups (I really like Strikers 1945 for what it's worth) and Sonic Mania

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

That's pretty cool

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I'd love to see an mdickie game on Switch

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Andrast posted:

That's pretty cool

It’s cool but seems needlessly resource intensive?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Andrast posted:

2D can be more intensive than you think. Especially in higher resolutions.

Remember that Arc had to cut animation frames from Blazblue on revisions that made the game more chaotic due to frame drops on consoles.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

American McGay posted:

You're an idiot if you spend more than the $8 Steam early access price for Dead Cells.

I paid $20 to play it on my couch while my wife watches tv or in bed, and also in airplanes. This is worth $12 to me, and also it’s going to an 11 person dev team in France

Hope this helps

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

SeANMcBAY posted:

Most 2D implementations nowadays just render things orthographically on polygons anyway so there's not that much more going on except that some of those polygons extend into a third dimension.

And what else are you going to spend your resources on anyway?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

2D can be more intensive than you think. Especially in higher resolutions.

Remember that Arc had to cut animation frames from Blazblue on revisions that made the game more chaotic due to frame drops on consoles.

Aren't Arc games actually 3D? Or did that happen with one of the older ones?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Now a day, most 2d games are 3d inherently because of the engine. You're placing objects in a 3d space, the camera is what gives the illusion of 2d. They're actually saving resources by the look of it, with how they've built their structures.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I paid $20 to play it on my couch while my wife watches tv or in bed, and also in airplanes. This is worth $12 to me, and also it’s going to an 11 person dev team in France

Hope this helps
drat we got a wifehaver over here.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Hey guys, no matter how much you play a console or how little, it shouldn't get dusty. Clean your dang houses. Sweep, vacuum, mop your floors, and dust your furniture, electronics, and surfaces.

Dust accumulation is inevitable in any place where are moves through regularly. There's dust literally everywhere. Sweep, vacuum, and mop all you want, there's still going to be dust in the air. Just ask your AC filter.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Andrast posted:

Aren't Arc games actually 3D? Or did that happen with one of the older ones?

Only Guilty Gear Xrd and Dragonball FighterZ do the whole "I can't believe it's not 2D!" thing.

Blazblue series is pixel art.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Cool that Minit does not have a Switch Tax. 10 bucks is a touch much, but not by much. Fair enough price to pay for a cute fun game, brief as it is.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

Only Guilty Gear Xrd and Dragonball FighterZ do the whole "I can't believe it's not 2D!" thing.

Blazblue series is pixel art.

Is there a reason why they are still using both methods?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Andrast posted:

Is there a reason why they are still using both methods?

BlazBlue Crosstag reuses assets from across 4 entire games so I assume it was just easier to do on the fly. It'll probably be the last ArcSys game that uses the "old" animation.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Andrast posted:

The tools make content creation easy but optimization still requires programming expertise

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

DLC Inc posted:

BlazBlue Crosstag reuses assets from across 4 entire games so I assume it was just easier to do on the fly. It'll probably be the last ArcSys game that uses the "old" animation.

I can still see Arc making pixel art again for a series.

But yeah, due to crossovers being all the rage, I feel it's only a matter of time before Blazblue goes the Xrd route so we can have Guilty Gear x Blazblue x Dragonball x Etc. in the future.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Arcsys says its 3d methods are no cheaper than sprite work due to all the hand tweaking they do

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Andrast posted:

That's pretty cool

Hollow Knight is similar, the artwork is all 2D but they do the parallax/fog/depth effects by layering things in 3D space

https://giant.gfycat.com/AlarmedThriftyAlaskanhusky.webm

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

repiv posted:

Hollow Knight is similar, the artwork is all 2D but they do the parallax/fog/depth effects by layering things in 3D space

That's very cool

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

This is how Pillars of Eternity and a lot of other 2D games work, most things are just on a flat plain with effects and objects being 3D. Or there's multiple 2D planes like shown about with Hollow Knight.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

enojy posted:

It's already up to full price ($24.99) on the eShop. Meanwhile, it's still 20% off on PSN. Good job, Nintendo.

It's still 20% off in the EU shop at least. I just bought it after seeing the reviews.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
It is utterly charming that the best way to stimulate our nostalgia for a technique used to simulate 3d on a 2d plane is to emulate the 2d effect in 3d space.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

2D art glued to a quad doesn't affect frame rates at all. If the game is struggling performance wise its probably shaders or some wonky code that's making it cpu bound.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
This kinda poo poo is what happens when games don't come on carts anymore. Everybody is so wasteful.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
*licks cart*

Yeah I miss the days when games came on carts too

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

It's faster to feed that poo poo as polygons to a GPU than to do things traditionally by copying pixels around with the CPU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Excuse me but the SA MasterGoon Programmers really don't think so

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Lodin posted:

Shut up guys, Switch is getting a game where you're a fricking bee!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSEQIvAgH9o

drat, I was really hoping this was a buck bumble sequel.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

repiv posted:

Doesn't Night in the Woods ALSO do something similar to this?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Real hurthling! posted:

Arcsys says its 3d methods are no cheaper than sprite work due to all the hand tweaking they do

Yeah, it's pretty bonkers the stuff that goes into it. It's not just a celshader you throw any old 3D model into, the models themselves are specifically made to work with their rendering method, the vertex normals are manually edited to make everything look right, the animations have to be done in a specific way, etc. It's a ton of work but the result is amazing and their stuff (Xrd and FighterZ) are still basically the only convincing 3D-that-looks-2D out there.

Even big animation studios and such don't go through all that trouble, which is why 3D always sticks out like a sore thumb when it's trying to look like cartoons/anime.

e: I recommend this GDC talk if you want some insight into how it's done:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhGjCzxJV3E

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

The most interesting thing to me is how they have to DECREASE animation frames to get the effect as too many animation frames will ruin it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The only other time I can think of a studio pulling that off was Fire Emblem Awakening’s cutscenes.

I could’ve watched a whole show in that style.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Xrd and FighterZ look so good as emulations of 2D because ASW developed workflows to allow their artists to animate 3D models with 2D techniques, and then gave those workflows to talented and thoughtful artists who put in a ton of work making everything look perfect.

I've seen anime that animates everything in 3D but doesn't do any of this work. Instead they just cut a whole bunch of frames and call it a wrap and it gives me a headache to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

The only other time I can think of a studio pulling that off was Fire Emblem Awakening’s cutscenes.

I could’ve watched a whole show in that style.

While it looks nice it still looks very well 3D.

• Locked thread