Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Doom Eternal gameplay preview on Friday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I can't shake the feeling they're gonna pull a Doom 4 with said gameplay reveal and only reveal it to actual attendees of QuakeCon, with the rest of us plebians not seeing it for an unspecified period of time, potentially not until the following E3.

But then, it's not quite the same situation; their current Doom formula is quite proven, at his point, unlike Doom 4's was at the time it was revealed.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Shadow Hog posted:

I can't shake the feeling they're gonna pull a Doom 4 with said gameplay reveal and only reveal it to actual attendees of QuakeCon, with the rest of us plebians not seeing it for an unspecified period of time, potentially not until the following E3.

But then, it's not quite the same situation; their current Doom formula is quite proven, at his point, unlike Doom 4's was at the time it was revealed.

I doubt it, the official account is doing a bunch of hype building for it on Twitter.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I hope there are no gimmicks, and just a continuation of Doom '16's mechanics but with more guns, monsters, and actual mod support. Also please keep the amazing optimisation so I can play it on my 970 :v:

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Convex posted:

I hope there are no gimmicks, and just a continuation of Doom '16's mechanics but with more guns, monsters, and actual mod support. Also please keep the amazing optimisation so I can play it on my 970 :v:

there is never going to be mod support unless they change their engine.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I’m enjoying the Alternate Dimensions mod in Quake a great deal.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

My 970 is never leaving this rig, I'll play the Doom Eternal in 640x480 if need be. For me I agree keep doing their thing, but keep improving the level design, not sticking with the locked off arena only formula, and in general give us FPS level design excellence. The last game was a big step in the right direction, but there are places to improve. The level design is the main thing that makes Doom what it is for me, though nailing the combat in DOOM 2016 was appreciated as well.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Guncaster Vindicated doesn't fix all the problems associated with Guncaster vanilla but it does improve it. At the very least it includes advanced monsters which by default progresses dynamically.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

DoubleCakes posted:

Guncaster Vindicated doesn't fix all the problems associated with Guncaster vanilla but it does improve it. At the very least it includes advanced monsters which by default progresses dynamically.

Does Guncaster also have some sort of experience or progression system? Might be the mod to finally play through Hellbound with.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Shadow Hog posted:

It's going to stream live so this time it's for both atendees and plebs like us. :] Hype!

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Heavy Metal posted:

My 970 is never leaving this rig, I'll play the Doom Eternal in 640x480 if need be. For me I agree keep doing their thing, but keep improving the level design, not sticking with the locked off arena only formula, and in general give us FPS level design excellence. The last game was a big step in the right direction, but there are places to improve. The level design is the main thing that makes Doom what it is for me, though nailing the combat in DOOM 2016 was appreciated as well.

Why would a 970 not be powerful enough?

970 has been the perfect GPU for me for 1080p/120fps gaming for years now that I don't think I can get a new GPU if this one dies on me.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Ularg posted:

Why would a 970 not be powerful enough?

970 has been the perfect GPU for me for 1080p/120fps gaming for years now that I don't think I can get a new GPU if this one dies on me.

I'm sure it'll be fine, was just saying for solidarity with other 970 posters, I'm gonna keep using a 970 as well. The more it looks like OG Doom the better, I dare them to make me lower the settings, I'm ready! And very very pumped to see some Doom Eternal action.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
I have a 770 and the only thing I'm worried about is the harddrive space for all those megatextures

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

Steakandchips posted:

I’m enjoying the Alternate Dimensions mod in Quake a great deal.

Arcane Dimensions, right? It is incredible and every poster in this thread needs to play it.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

anyone got any sort of 32 map megawads to recommend?

i've played:

both epics
jenesis
back to saturn
Plutonia community thing
Plutonia 2
Brotherhood of Ruin
Going Down
Ancient Aliens
Alien Vendetta
that shitass TNT sequel, eternal eye or whatever

and a couple others that clearly did not make a good impression on me

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

japan community map project or whatever

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

spider wisdom posted:

Arcane Dimensions, right? It is incredible and every poster in this thread needs to play it.

Sorry, yes, Arcane Dimensions. It is hard and fun and there are some great set pieces. Love it. Better than vanilla if you can believe it!

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i've played:

both epics
jenesis
back to saturn
Plutonia community thing
Plutonia 2
Brotherhood of Ruin
Going Down
Ancient Aliens
Alien Vendetta

My personal pet favorite megaWAD to recommend is Moonblood. Really nice open maps, and a fantastic soundtrack to boot. The author’s also releasing a sequel to it called Exomoon fairly soon; I playtested some of the early maps, and they’ve got the same sort of qualities I liked about Moonblood while also ramping up the difficulty a degree or so. I also don’t see any of the Scythe series on your list; you’ll really want to play the Scythe series.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i've played:

both epics
jenesis
back to saturn
Plutonia community thing
Plutonia 2
Brotherhood of Ruin
Going Down
Ancient Aliens
Alien Vendetta

hell revealed 1 and 2 are good if you're okay with them getting slaughtermap-y

scythe and scythe 2 are both fantastic

valiant is also very good but idk if it's 32 maps, it's a lot though

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yeah, it's 32.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

also i forget how many maps it has but sunlust is pretty decent

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Is it a slaughterwad?

BONESTORM
Jan 27, 2009

Buy me Bonestorm or go to Hell!
I never beat it, but it’s definitely not for the first half at least. I was impressed by it but never remembered to go back and finish it. Think I know what I’ll be playing the next rainy day when I get home from this rotation.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Sunlust is definitely a slaughtermap wad, it's a tribute/successor to Sunder.

If you want good reviews of WADs/need to find something new to play, don't forget about https://onemandoom.blogspot.com/ KMEXIII posts in this thread even!

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Mordja posted:

Is it a slaughterwad?

yeah it definitely gets that way

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
First half of Sunlust is mostly not slaughtery, second definitely is. It’s Sunder inspired so...

PsyClops
Jun 15, 2000

Back to Saturn X Episode 1 and 2 are both pretty long. Not a strict 32 but both are pretty good.

e: nvm I just saw it on your list. Interception is also pretty ok.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

thanks friends!

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
There's Icarus: Alien Vanguard, I haven't played a lot of it but what I have is pretty good. I've played a little bit of Whispers of Satan, but people seem to like it. Haven't played Unholy Realms, but I've heard good things about it too.

It's not 32 maps, only 18, but 50 Shades of Graytall is neat. I think I'm about half way through it.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
You want megawads?
https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=61211

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I'm lookin' for shooters that deal with supernatural elements. Stuff like Undying (I love it) and Painkiller (it's okay) that's flown under the radar. I was just playing Hunter: The Reckoning and was thinking how much I'd love an FPS in a similar setting. Lemme waltz through dingy rear end subways mowing down monsters with an SMG.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I'm lookin' for shooters that deal with supernatural elements. Stuff like Undying (I love it) and Painkiller (it's okay) that's flown under the radar. I was just playing Hunter: The Reckoning and was thinking how much I'd love an FPS in a similar setting. Lemme waltz through dingy rear end subways mowing down monsters with an SMG.

I mean there was that weird PS1? PS2? Hunter game if you want that :v:

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Technically, you could play Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, and go with a firearm build, but the combat in VtMB isn't that great, and melee is sometimes more effective.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Max Wilco posted:

Technically, you could play Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, and go with a firearm build, but the combat in VtMB isn't that great, and melee is sometimes more effective.

Y'know I could never get into VTMB, and oh lord I tried many times. It's just too janky, even with all the fan patches and fixes. Love the soundtrack though. Introduced me to Chiasm and anything with Lacuna Coil is automatically good, let's be real.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

sunlust definitely gets a bit choked up later, but that's why i enjoy it with a gameplay-altering mod that makes the character more powerful and able to deal some good damage while also making enemies deadlier to compensate a bit. i don't care for slaughtery stuff with base gameplay but mods to make it more dynamic help a lot.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Did you play FEAR yet?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

It's third person...and maybe not a shooter..but I loved the original Shadowman game on N64.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Arivia posted:

Doom Eternal gameplay preview on Friday.

I have the feeling the Eternal label indicates some kind of roguelite/rpg elements. I wouldn't be surprised if you can level up your character and there is big rpg skill tree while playing sp/coop.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Turin Turambar posted:

I have the feeling the Eternal label indicates some kind of roguelite/rpg elements. I wouldn't be surprised if you can level up your character and there is big rpg skill tree while playing sp/coop.

It'll be an open world game featuring the gunplay of Fallout 3 and the engine of Fallout 4. I'm hype af!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

or, get this, maybe they just didn't want to do 'doom 2' again