Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Yossarian-22 posted:

I seem to get mixed results on google vis-a-vis whether or not Australian terriers are hypoallergenic. The gf also owns pet bunnies but supposedly this breed loves hunting "pest" like animals so we're not sure if it would be a good fit for that reason. Thoughts?

The dog will kill your rabbits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

It seems like finding a dog that gets along with rabbits would be harder than finding a dog that gets along with cats. My cats will hiss at my dogs if they get too annoying. One of them swats. What do rabbits do? I don't even know if that's something I'd leave up to the dog breed since it seems like it's more individual to a specific dog.

My dogs may have killed a small bird this past weekend. I saw them sniffing around in some bushes and there was an injured bird in there. I think it was most likely killed by either my hound punching it to death or by other birds/a bird of prey. I don't think the terrier mix got a hold of it because I don't think she would have left so little damage. Or let it go. No idea though.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

(also, the buns are in a four foot high enclosure and we would keep them separate as a general rule)

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Yossarian-22 posted:

(also, the buns are in a four foot high enclosure and we would keep them separate as a general rule)

That sound more realistic then. You just need a dog that won't just stand by the enclosure and go nuts.

I still don't know if that can be a breed thing or if it matters more on the individual level.

Are you set on a puppy or particular breed? Could you work with a rescue to find a good match?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Yossarian-22 posted:

Your dog is going to find a way over that enclosure and it will take half a second of inattention or being unable to control it for the dog to kill your rabbits.

GoodBee posted:

What do rabbits do?

They die. Rabbits are a prey species whose role in the environment is turning plant calories into protein calories for predators, they survive by reproducing in huge numbers. Rabbits have no defense against predators except running and hiding.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jul 26, 2018

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

The rabbits will die of heart attacks from the constant presence of a predator. That's if the enclosure keeps the dog out.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Phuzun posted:

The rabbits will die of heart attacks from the constant presence of a predator. That's if the enclosure keeps the dog out.

This. Out of curiosity I asked my veterinarian mother-in-law and she said that they'd likely die from stress with enough exposure to the dog, and that in her experience most dogs, regardless of breed, will do their best to kill (or "play with") the rabbits anyway.

Apologies if there are actual vets in the thread who have already said basically that, I only just started lurking the thread.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

The OP already asked these questions in the rabbit thread and got pretty much the same answers. I think he's just shopping for the answer he wants.

Wait a couple years for the rabbits to die of natural causes and then get a dog.

rabbitmonger
Jan 16, 2008

AAAUGH
I had a dog and rabbits and they got along well enough for several years (dog didn't gently caress with them, buns eventually died of old age) BUT it was a very specific "this particular dog and these particular rabbits are not making each other miserable" situation. I would not do it again and I don't recommend other people do it either. You're rolling the dice on the wellbeing of the rabbits and that's naive at best, cruel at worst.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

rabbitmonger posted:

I had a dog and rabbits and they got along well enough for several years (dog didn't gently caress with them, buns eventually died of old age) BUT it was a very specific "this particular dog and these particular rabbits are not making each other miserable" situation. I would not do it again and I don't recommend other people do it either. You're rolling the dice on the wellbeing of the rabbits and that's naive at best, cruel at worst.

If the dog (as a puppy) grows up with the buns they might be ok, but introducing a grown dog to rabbits is asking for trouble. We had a bird when we got our puppy and he was fine with it because he knew it was off limits, but when we got a second dog who was 6 months+ we ended up sending the bird to live with my mom (who spoils him rotten) because dog #2 was going to eat him the second she got a chance. What I’m saying is, don’t introduce grown rear end dogs to your rabbits because carnage will ensue.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

queserasera posted:

The OP already asked these questions in the rabbit thread and got pretty much the same answers. I think he's just shopping for the answer he wants.

Wait a couple years for the rabbits to die of natural causes and then get a dog.

It's a repeat of this thread.

:downs: I want a dog that's ludicrously inappropriate for my circumstances. Anything I need to know?

:confused: That is a terrible idea, your new dog is going to kill someone/thing.

:downs: I have lots of experience with dogs! It will be fine!

:nono: THAT DOG IS GOING TO KILL YOUR KIDS CATS RABBITS.

:downs: I have a puppy!

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Wow. Was there ever a follow up to that thread? That's crazy.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

GoodBee posted:

Wow. Was there ever a follow up to that thread? That's crazy.

Someone later tracked the goon down on facebook. Surprise, the maremma puppy attacked the toddler and the dog was sent to a rescue.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Taking my pupperdoodle to the vet tom morning to receive her first round of heartworm injections. I'm so worried for her right now. I've gotten her somewhat used to being more sedentary. She's still less than 2 so wants to play and becomes vocal about it. That I can handle well enough. I've "resigned" myself to providing her with all her stimulation as other dogs get her too excited and energetic. I'm worried my housemate doesn't understand how severe the risk is to her. I don't think I'm overstating it when I've told her that the treatment could kill my dog, and that she's on severe exercise restriction. I'm going to request detailed paperwork from the vet on the risks associated with heartworm treatment if they have it. My housemate seems to be under the impression that my dog needs to be social with other dogs, while that's true. It certainly isn't something she can do without strick supervision or off leash.

Kinda rambling. I'm just super worried about my doggy and want her to get through this so we play and have fun for years to come.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Good luck with your puppers. Hopefully everything will go smoothly and eventually you will have a worm free roo who is free to play as much as they want.

We also have a vet appt tomorrow. My 11 yo dog Belle has been having vomiting and diarrhea since Thursday that we tried to treat our usual way with swapping out her food for simple stuff like rice and re-introducing slowly. Sunday I thought we had licked it, but last night she had diarrhea all over. This was with a mix of her normal food and rice.

What makes me worry is the fact that recently she began eating dirt. I noticed it maybe a few days before the vomiting. I thought our other dog Ivy was instigating it, because she is young and likes to eat whatever, but upon closer watching, it is definitely Belle eating dirt. Then Ivy comes over because if someone is eating she has to be eating, but Belle is starting it.

I am afraid the dirt eating in is a symptom of something really bad going on. Belle's littermate was put down earlier this year for a "non cancerous stomach tumor" coupled with liver failure. Another littermate died last year from kidney issues plus another tumor of some kind, we don't know the full details. The dogs are all in my husband's extended family, and that is 2 out of 6 of the litter dying in the past year or so.

I mean, it's likely this is just worms or something, right? I have a bad feeling about this, like these dogs are susceptible to either liver and kidney disease and/or tumors and now it's Belle's turn. They are half golden, half lab, so 11 is really getting up there as well. I am not ready for her to go.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

dog nougat posted:

Kinda rambling. I'm just super worried about my doggy and want her to get through this so we play and have fun for years to come.

How's your pup?

My dork monster is going Saturday. She had her 2nd round of heartworm shots in February so it's been about 6 months. I guess we're going to test again in addition to regular shots.

Get painkillers for after. I didn't get immediately after her second treatment and she was just super miserable. I went back later that day to pick some up.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

GoodBee posted:

How's your pup?

My dork monster is going Saturday. She had her 2nd round of heartworm shots in February so it's been about 6 months. I guess we're going to test again in addition to regular shots.

Get painkillers for after. I didn't get immediately after her second treatment and she was just super miserable. I went back later that day to pick some up.

A happy, if not frustrated pooch currently. Dropped her off this morning. She was super scared and didn't want to leave me. I almost cried. I'll def ask about painkillers if they don't give me any when I go back to pick her up this afternoon.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Carpet Cleaning and Dogs! (Not to mention other small, messy mammals)

We're living in a house with increasingly off-white carpet on the ground floor (walk-out to the back yard). The house is a rental so we can't remove the carpet, and we'll probably be here for at least 18-24 more months. In the last three months, a relative's dog stayed for a while and marked most of downstairs; our dachshund/terrier got another of her almost-like-clockwork annual UTIs; we took in a 13 year old dog who we just discovered thanks to a couple of post-walk puddles has the beginning of renal insufficiency (fortunately treatable by diet); we have a couple of younger kids staying with us for a bit (probably aggravating the incontinence the new dog is showing); and the end of Pacific Northwest Summer is approaching (and thus the constant drizzle and the mud and the glavin).

So we've been using Nature's Miracle (pretty damned close to its name; I wish I had found this stuff longer than a few months ago!) to clean up the dog urine, and have been lucky enough to find most of the spots when fresh. (I also know that once things get into the pad, then it takes real work and often replacing pieces of carpet to get to the odor.)

My question is more around visual cleaning. Because I'm sure I will continue to find damp (or worse yet, dry) spots by surprise either as the renal issues progress or the younger dog decides it's time for another UTI; because coming in and out of the back yard [whether by dog or kid] will become messier as things get wetter; because we'll likely continue to have children come and go (and have to learn house rules about shoes, and possibly stress out the dogs more); because of the fact that this house has carpet downstairs and wood upstairs (instead of the reverse, why?); etc.; the carpet is going to get dirtier and dirtier.

So my question is this...I have pretty good information (thanks to this thread and elsewhere) about cleaning solutions for both pet stains and dirt stains. But in terms of semi-regular or severe spot cleaning, does anyone have recommendations about specific carpet cleaning machines they've bought and been happy with? I don't want to rent a Rug Doctor or the like on a regular basis; looking to buy a consumer model (price is a consideration but quality much more so). Even though pet-driven mess is only part of my problem, I'm guessing pet owners have more experience with and reasons to keep carpets clean than your average bear.

I did some searching, and found information here around chemical cleaners but not actual machines. I'm asking this specifically in PI because "when you find a new, large, almost-dry urine stain, the Binford Scour-X-TREME filled a Y% solution of P-B-GON! [red bottle only!] will make the stain and scent completely disappear" would be a dream recommendation.

Any advice/anecdotes/etc.? I didn't think this was threadworthy but if there is one open that I missed, please point me that way.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Ive always had success with the following.

Use light pressure with a towel or sponge to soak up the liquid urine from the top layer of the carpet. Use a shop vac (wet/dry vac) to suck up the rest. The last thing you want to do is to spread the urine around the carpet or push it down into the padding . Next using a dry sponge or a new towel, use firm pressure on the spot to soak up whatever remaining liquid is in the padding. Try to keep using a clean spot on the towel every time to prevent pushing urine back into the padding. Spray with natures miracle and some baking soda. Gently rub it into the carpet and let it sit for a few minutes. Use your wet dry vac to soak it up and try to dry the space out with a fan if possible.

For worse messes, I'll usually take some clear dish soap (don't want any colored dyes in light carpet) and mix it with the baking soda and natures miracle, rub it into the spot, remove with several rounds of warm water and repeat until clean. Then soak the water up with a sponge/vacuum.

My dog was starting to be trusted at home by himself when he was under a year old with great success. We left one night for dinner only to return to not find our dog anywhere. I noticed our office door was closed. I opened the door and saw our dog who looked stressed out and a huge mess (not poop). We hung a shoe rack for my wife's shoes off the back of the door. It must have closed behind the dog and he ripped it down trying to get out. In that shoe rack was a can of black shoe polish which he got ahold of and was covering our brand new off-white carpet in a brand new rental that was freshly painted.

It took a few hours but with the mix above (minus the natures miracle because he didn't pee), a small scrubber brush, and a bunch of towels I was able to remove every trace of the shoe polish from the carpet. When we moved, you couldn't even tell anything ever happened to the carpet.

Winter Rose
Sep 27, 2007

Understand how unstable the truth can be.

We just caved and bought a Kissell Proheat 2x Revolution or something along those lines at Costco. It did a great job at cleaning up like 90% of months-old puppy pee stains on white carpet. The very worst patch is still kinda gray but we're hoping it'll go away with repeated treatment. Figured it's an investment (and it was cheaper than paying someone to do the carpet cleaning).

Before:

After:

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Winter Rose posted:

Figured it's an investment (and it was cheaper than paying someone to do the carpet cleaning)
Exactly my thinking too; I'm not paying someone to clean my carpet unless it requires the van equipment, and I'm not shelling out for a rental every time I get a little annoyed at how dingy things look. I'm not a total neat freak but I hate carpet, and because of our new doggo's old man issues we're certainly going to find some dry stains every now and then. (Plus all the other problems; seriously, why would you use carpet in Washington State?) I'll look into the Bissell Proheat Revolution line.

Post Value Rating: 4/5 thanks!

Verman posted:

...Use a shop vac (wet/dry vac) to suck up the rest...
"See! I've been telling you I need a larger, stronger shop vac anyway for my workshop! And now I have this stranger on this board telling me that we can avoid buying a specialized carpet-only tool if I merely get a new, max HP top-of-the-line brand one! We're practically saving money once you factor in the tax deduction for giving the old one away to charity! Um, no, that's not the site with those 'GBS' threads I read all the time. Totally different place."

Post Value Rating: 5/5 AWESOME!

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

this is good but hose may break per reviews https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B008DBRFBK/ref=emc_b_5_t

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
This seems as good a thread as any to give the folks here a heads' up --

We're doing All Creatures Great and Small as the Book Barn BOTM this month, come on over and read about doggy and vet stuff:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3864759&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post486652954

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

So my in-laws have this maremma and they're headed out of the country for 3 months...

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Warbird posted:

So my in-laws have this maremma and they're headed out of the country for 3 months...

I'm... I'm very concerned because what I know about maremmas says that they really, really need to live on a big farm with things they can protect, not in urban environments....

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm... I'm very concerned because what I know about maremmas says that they really, really need to live on a big farm with things they can protect, not in urban environments....

If you want to know about maremmas, look through the thread I linked a bit above. They are livestock guardian dogs, not pets.

squidtarts
May 26, 2005

I think women are intimidated by me because I have mean cartoon eyebrows.

I have this and it’s been a godsend with an elderly akita who sometimes loses her bladder inside.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

My big idiot hound dog has started nibbling on the furniture. Basically everything at snoot height. Couch, chairs, beds, stuff with fabric. She has toys and she hasn't torn any furniture up yet. It's just weird.

She also nibbles her little sister's whiskers off and tries to nibble on the cat. The cat gets annoyed quickly and leaves though.

She's a mega toy murderer but I figure that's fine. Those are hers. And she eats socks but those shouldn't be laying around the house in the first place.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Double post random question:

My little dog has a vet appointment tomorrow for her shots. She's the worst patient. She tries to bite vet techs so we muzzle her. She's a nervous wreck even though I drug her before we go. She's 25 lbs of a terrier-ish thing so we can manhandle her but she super hates it and it's real annoying for everyone involved.

I can bring just her or I can bring someone else she loves and my other dog who loves the vet. I can't tell if that's the worst idea or if that will calm her down.

I'll probably just bring her tomorrow and ask my vet if should try that next time.

It's a little better if we wait in the car until the vet is ready for us so we're definitely going to do that again.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

GoodBee posted:

I can bring just her or I can bring someone else she loves and my other dog who loves the vet. I can't tell if that's the worst idea or if that will calm her down.

I usually bring both dogs to the vet, even if only one has an appointment. I figure it’s good practice for them to see the vet isn’t always painful.

Speaking of painful visits to the vet... Noodle got into a porcupine today.

I removed about 20 quills and the vet got 60. My other dog has a shock collar so I was able to kept him away from the porcupine. Noodle is going to get one now and hopefully we won’t have this happen ever again! Shocking my dog sucks but it’s a lot better than 80 quills to the mouth :(

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

GoodBee posted:

Double post random question:

My little dog has a vet appointment tomorrow for her shots. She's the worst patient. She tries to bite vet techs so we muzzle her. She's a nervous wreck even though I drug her before we go. She's 25 lbs of a terrier-ish thing so we can manhandle her but she super hates it and it's real annoying for everyone involved.

I'll probably just bring her tomorrow and ask my vet if should try that next time.

It's a little better if we wait in the car until the vet is ready for us so we're definitely going to do that again.

My dog is a neurotic little poo poo so here are some of the things I do:

If I'm taking him someplace stressful where there's a good chance he'll need a muzzle, I'll muzzle him myself at home first to save some drama. Also I trained him to wear a muzzle.

Unless the dog is going to be in a back room where I'm not supposed to be, he does better if I'm there. (Then again, when I handed him off to be boarded for a few days when I was going out of town, he threw a huge tantrum and then calmed down as I was leaving. He knew what was happening. ymmv)

Some vet clinics will basically allow you to make a free appointment to go in an exam room and you and a vet tech just feed it treats for a half hour. He's a lot more comfortable at the vet since he knows the people there now.

In a calmer, not vet setting, make sure she gets used to being poked and prodded.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

That's all good stuff.

Dogwood Fleet posted:

My dog is a neurotic little poo poo so here are some of the things I do:

If I'm taking him someplace stressful where there's a good chance he'll need a muzzle, I'll muzzle him myself at home first to save some drama. Also I trained him to wear a muzzle.

I did that! I ordered her a muzzle after the first time she was a turd and we had to muzzle her. She really doesn't seem to mind it. I could probably use it on her more often.

I got her the kind on muzzle that the vet used at the appointment, which is the cloth kind that goes around her snoot. She's really pointy so it fits well. It's just not the kind I can leave on her for any amount of time. It's also just got the one strap, nothing like the kind that attaches to a collar. She'll wiggle it off her face if she's unattended for a minute.

I don't really think I need a basket muzzle for her.

quote:

Unless the dog is going to be in a back room where I'm not supposed to be, he does better if I'm there. (Then again, when I handed him off to be boarded for a few days when I was going out of town, he threw a huge tantrum and then calmed down as I was leaving. He knew what was happening. ymmv)

We do this now. The vet didn't want to keep her for observation after her heartworm treatments since I could arrange to watch her and bring her back if there was a problem.

I haven't needed to board her yet. I'm planning to have mom watch her if I need to. The real danger there is mom would probably give her treats until she explodes and I'll come home to a sphere of a dog.

quote:

Some vet clinics will basically allow you to make a free appointment to go in an exam room and you and a vet tech just feed it treats for a half hour. He's a lot more comfortable at the vet since he knows the people there now.

This is hilarious and she does love treats. They told me we could come in and use the scale in the lobby any time. Maybe we should go by and get treats in the lobby for a few weeks. She loving loves riding in the car.

quote:

In a calmer, not vet setting, make sure she gets used to being poked and prodded.

I poke the crap out of her but she doesn't let strangers touch her. It took months before my mom could touch her and she showers her with treats.

Last time she met new people, I stuck her in her kennel and let the strangers give her bits of pizza crust. That was apparently a better bribe than her treats. I let her out and she wasn't a turd.

I think she might stress out more about the other dogs than the people.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Hey, remember me? I'm the dumbass who almost got a terrier, but thankfully the gf and I have returned it and we got an adorable 1 year old poodle instead. Some questions:

How to avoid separation anxiety, whining, and the like?

In regard to the above question, we have her sleeping in a doggy bed in our room. How do we stop her from waking us up at 6 am (when she typically eats in the morning)?

How do we help our dog behave around our two pet bunnies and around other animals?

Is there any reason to crate train if the dog is already potty trained?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

So, my pup over the past few months (shortly after turning a year) has started to get aggressive with other male dogs, typically larger males, but he did just snap at a pup yesterday, though the pup might have bit his face or something that triggered it.

Does anyone have any advice for training him out of this, or am I doomed to avoiding certain dogs for the rest of his life?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Yossarian-22 posted:

Hey, remember me? I'm the dumbass who almost got a terrier, but thankfully the gf and I have returned it and we got an adorable 1 year old poodle instead. Some questions:

How to avoid separation anxiety, whining, and the like?

In regard to the above question, we have her sleeping in a doggy bed in our room. How do we stop her from waking us up at 6 am (when she typically eats in the morning)?

How do we help our dog behave around our two pet bunnies and around other animals?

Is there any reason to crate train if the dog is already potty trained?

Separation anxiety is usually derived from the dog not liking where they're being left, not having anything to do, or both. Give the dog something to entertain herself (like an indestructible chew toy with food hidden in it or rawhide strips or whatever), that may help. Some dogs will always whine though. But if she's anxious when left alone, you'll want to find a way to fix that or it'll just escalate into ripping stuff up or being destructive because she's bored/under-stimulated. I will say, if you just got the dog, it's not separation anxiety as such. The dog probably couldn't give a poo poo that you in particular are gone, just that she's confined and has nothing to do.

Dogs wake up when they feel like it. You may have to just get used to it. You can try to head it off by setting an alarm earlier than she usually gets up, so that you are the one waking her up rather than the other way around. Once you establish that habit, you may be able to edge her wake-up later and later over time (like, literally a few minutes a day, it has to be pretty gradual). It depends a lot on the dog though, and you may never really be able to affect her schedule.

You didn't get it the last time people told you, so I'll just reiterate it here: if you want the bunnies to live their natural lives, don't let the dog near them. Any dog will have some amount of predatory instinct, even if they're generally well behaved around typical "prey" animals. My wife had two german shepherds growing up who had been around the farm's goats since they were puppies. They never had any issues for years, then one day when they were about five or six years old, something snapped in them and they killed four of the goats. Nobody ever figured out why, and the dogs obviously had no idea they ever did anything wrong. It's not the sort of thing you can control, or even guard against.

As for training a dog to behave around other animals or other dogs, that is a very involved topic and requires a lot of time and dedication. The fact that the dog is already a year old means that you're kind of past the key time for socializing a dog to other animals, which will complicate the process. But if you want her to be okay with other dogs, it's something you need to look into, and right away. If she's a rescue, it's entirely possible she'll respond poorly to other dogs depending on her past treatment and experience with them. Dogs develop a lot of impressions about people and other animals in the first 8 months of their life and they can be very difficult to change sometimes.

As for crate training, it would be the solution to most of the questions you asked. I genuinely don't get dog owners who refuse to crate train their dogs. If you do it when they're young, and do it right (which once again, takes time and dedication), your dog will come to see the crate as a safe place. My two dogs are fine, but kind of uncomfortable and jumpy, if they have to sleep somewhere overnight and don't have a crate to crash in. A dog that's crate trained well will generally calm down pretty well when they're in a crate, and if you really take the time to do it right, they'll even hang out in the crate, with you present and visible, without whining or stress. It makes leaving your dog at home a non-issue (and would make it very easy to just leave chew toys etc. in the crate with them, thus dealing with the "separation anxiety" issue) and it would make training her to wake up when you want to get up a lot easier as well. It's an easy one-stop shop sort of training tool that I don't think I could live without.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

MF_James posted:

So, my pup over the past few months (shortly after turning a year) has started to get aggressive with other male dogs, typically larger males, but he did just snap at a pup yesterday, though the pup might have bit his face or something that triggered it.

Does anyone have any advice for training him out of this, or am I doomed to avoiding certain dogs for the rest of his life?

It's hard to say without being there and seeing what's setting the dog off. It could be totally normal dog communication (dogs do just get up in each others' faces and need to let each other know that's okay), it could be that your dog feels unusually threatened for some reason or another, but it's hard to speculate. There are ways to kind of identify the problem and help your dog feel more comfortable but it's an involved subject, and given it's a situation where guessing what the problem might be and getting it wrong could result in one or more dog being hurt, I'd suggest seeking out an experienced trainer for advice, one who can see your dog interact with other dogs.

Some dogs just don't do well with other dogs, some don't do well with dogs bigger than them, some form other strange avoidances. One of mine, for example, got freaked out by a big, aggressive white dog as a puppy so he takes a long time and careful encouragement to warm up to other white dogs.

A general note, just because I see people do it a lot: don't ever scold your dog for growling, at people or other dogs. That's the dog's way of letting whatever or whoever know that they're not happy with the situation. It's basically an early-warning system. Dogs know to avoid a dog that's growling (generally, unless it's been trained out of them or they were taken from the litter too early) but people sometimes view it as undesirable behavior. But if you train a dog to not growl, you're basically training it to skip over the "hey I don't like this" phase straight to the "I'm going to bite you because I'm scared" phase.

The same applies in general to dogs who snap at other dogs without actually making contact. Snapping is sort of a last-resort "leave me alone" signal. It's usually the case, though, that you as the owner would want to intervene in the situation before it gets to that point, but it takes experience to know what the problem even is and how best to intervene without reinforcing fearful behavior, which would just lead to more growling and snapping.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

MockingQuantum posted:

It's hard to say without being there and seeing what's setting the dog off. It could be totally normal dog communication (dogs do just get up in each others' faces and need to let each other know that's okay), it could be that your dog feels unusually threatened for some reason or another, but it's hard to speculate. There are ways to kind of identify the problem and help your dog feel more comfortable but it's an involved subject, and given it's a situation where guessing what the problem might be and getting it wrong could result in one or more dog being hurt, I'd suggest seeking out an experienced trainer for advice, one who can see your dog interact with other dogs.

Some dogs just don't do well with other dogs, some don't do well with dogs bigger than them, some form other strange avoidances. One of mine, for example, got freaked out by a big, aggressive white dog as a puppy so he takes a long time and careful encouragement to warm up to other white dogs.

A general note, just because I see people do it a lot: don't ever scold your dog for growling, at people or other dogs. That's the dog's way of letting whatever or whoever know that they're not happy with the situation. It's basically an early-warning system. Dogs know to avoid a dog that's growling (generally, unless it's been trained out of them or they were taken from the litter too early) but people sometimes view it as undesirable behavior. But if you train a dog to not growl, you're basically training it to skip over the "hey I don't like this" phase straight to the "I'm going to bite you because I'm scared" phase.

The same applies in general to dogs who snap at other dogs without actually making contact. Snapping is sort of a last-resort "leave me alone" signal. It's usually the case, though, that you as the owner would want to intervene in the situation before it gets to that point, but it takes experience to know what the problem even is and how best to intervene without reinforcing fearful behavior, which would just lead to more growling and snapping.

Yeah I've been avoiding scolding him and I typically avoid the situation entirely (walk across the street or whatever) sometimes avoidance is not possible so I will walk into the parkway and keep him close to me and the leash shortened but he goes loving ballistic.

Thanks for the suggestion though I'll try to find a local trainer that can help.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

As for crate training, it would be the solution to most of the questions you asked. I genuinely don't get dog owners who refuse to crate train their dogs

With respect to this, would a pen suit my purposes just as well? I was considering one for the sake of her having a less claustrophobic space with which she could play with more toys, and even use the toilet if need be

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Dogs don't think that crates are claustrophobic. They like being in enclosed spaces with only one entrance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Dogs don't think that crates are claustrophobic. They like being in enclosed spaces with only one entrance.

This. This this this. Humans are dumb and look at crates and think "oh no a dog prison". Dogs look at crates and think "I would be safe in there". Or something like it. They don't find them claustrophobic, and in fact a lot of breeds prefer smaller crates than we'd expect. It's also about a thousand times easier to housetrain a dog that's also crate-trained since they don't like to eliminate in their own "home", but that doesn't really apply to Yossarian-22.

Most dogs look at stuff like X-pens and ask themselves "how quickly can I knock this over or shove it against something and climb out?" in my experience.