Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Weedle
May 31, 2006

Andrast posted:

I have no idea how developers can't get 2D games to run at 60 these days

Weird how game developers never say this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Hot take I don’t associate 60 FPS with quality and I remember a lot of the worst, cheapest looking games I played as a kid being 60 FPS

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
So I finally got around to playing odyssey and god drat do I hate these motion controls. After 3 hours I gave up and went back to the pro controller, looking up how to emulate 'most' of the motion moves with buttons but that some seem to still be missing feels like a huge oversight. Still enjoying the game regardless though.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Mega Comrade posted:

So I finally got around to playing odyssey and god drat do I hate these motion controls. After 3 hours I gave up and went back to the pro controller, looking up how to emulate 'most' of the motion moves with buttons but that some seem to still missing feels like a huge oversight. Still enjoying the game regardless though.

There's only 1 moon in the entire game that requires motion controls.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
What motion stuff did Odyssey have that was important again?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
If you shake the controller while doing a move with a captured enemy they do the move slightly "more", so for example of you're a frog and you jump while shaking the controller you'll jump like 10% higher. You can play through the entire game without ever worrying about using motion controls.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Except that rolling with motion controls is faster than not doing it so the multiplayer stuff becomes impossible without it

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Your Computer posted:

e: I recommend this GDC talk if you want some insight into how it's done:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhGjCzxJV3E

This video rules.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

American McGay posted:

If you shake the controller while doing a move with a captured enemy they do the move slightly "more", so for example of you're a frog and you jump while shaking the controller you'll jump like 10% higher. You can play through the entire game without ever worrying about using motion controls.

isn't the hat spin thing only doable with motion controls also? i can't remember ever really needing it during the game tho

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Generic Monk posted:

isn't the hat spin thing only doable with motion controls also? i can't remember ever really needing it during the game tho

You can do that by spinning left stick then throwing the hat but it's kind of unreliable.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Kind of related but 2d has "secretly" been 3d for a long time. https://youtu.be/kN-eCBAOw60

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I am an enormous fan of the turn to cool behind the scenes videos the thread is taking.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

BattleMaster posted:

It's faster to feed that poo poo as polygons to a GPU than to do things traditionally by copying pixels around with the CPU
True, but "copying pixels around" isn't really traditional either. 2D platformers got their start on dedicated graphics hardware that were basically super primitive 2D only GPUs, and the layering done by Hollow Knight exactly mimics how hardware layers were used on 16-bit consoles.

Software rendered 2D scrolling platformers wasn't viable until 1990's Commander Keen, and by the end of the 90s was already shifting to using GPUs with orthographic projections.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

Hot take I don’t associate 60 FPS with quality and I remember a lot of the worst, cheapest looking games I played as a kid being 60 FPS

that's more 'unlocked/variable framerate' than '60fps' tbf. which is a recipe for a juddery embarassing mess

doingitwrong posted:

I am an enormous fan of the turn to cool behind the scenes videos the thread is taking.

digitalfoundry's df retro series is amaze for stuff like that tbf check it out

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

TheKingofSprings posted:

Cold as ice take: I don't care about "quality" but 30 fps gameplay, at least on a big screen (like a computer monitor) right in front of my face is uncomfortable :(

ExcessBLarg! posted:

the layering done by Hollow Knight exactly mimics how hardware layers were used on 16-bit consoles.
I'm wondering if there's a little more to it because some places have an incredible sense of depth. Anyway another cool thing Hollow Knight does is that it couples this layered approach with realtime (volumetric?) lighting. It doesn't come across how good it looks in screenshots but the game looks absolutely breathtaking in action :kimchi:

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
I bought a shitload of stuff on the Nintendo Summer Sale. I don't have the income for this!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Sonic Mania is an neat inversion of 2D games actually rendering in 3D on the GPU, as it features 3D sections that are rendered entirely on the CPU in order to emulate the janky fixed point math that early 3D consoles used :shittydog:

That's probably why the Switch struggled with those sections until they optimized it with the Plus update.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

ExcessBLarg! posted:

True, but "copying pixels around" isn't really traditional either. 2D platformers got their start on dedicated graphics hardware that were basically super primitive 2D only GPUs, and the layering done by Hollow Knight exactly mimics how hardware layers were used on 16-bit consoles.

Software rendered 2D scrolling platformers wasn't viable until 1990's Commander Keen, and by the end of the 90s was already shifting to using GPUs with orthographic projections.

You're right; I was thinking from an early PC perspective which never had any of the assistance that contemporary consoles and some home computers like the Amiga series had.

But if you wanted to do 2D without figuring out how to represent it as polygons and sending it to the GPU on a modern platform like the Switch, you'd have to do it the slow and computationally-expensive way. And no one does because gently caress that.

repiv posted:

Sonic Mania is an neat inversion of 2D games actually rendering in 3D on the GPU, as it features 3D sections that are rendered entirely on the CPU in order to emulate the janky fixed point math that early 3D consoles used :shittydog:

That's probably why the Switch struggled with those sections until they optimized it with the Plus update.

Okay I guess not "no one" but only if you want a specific crappy on purpose look?

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

doingitwrong posted:

This video rules.

:yeah:

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

repiv posted:

If you bought the original Sonic Mania, is the Plus stuff part of an update or DLC? I loved Sonic Mania and I wouldn't mind playing it again, but not if I have to buy the whole shebang over again.

edit: Answered my own question, it's a $5 dlc. There's something to do, I expected to be playing Cross Tag since 9 characters were supposed to be dropped as DLC today, but it looks like ArcSys submitted it too late and now I have to wait for the eshop to update again, probably.

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Aug 7, 2018

Moly B. Denum
Oct 26, 2007

THE loving MOON posted:

If you bought the original Sonic Mania, is the Plus stuff part of an update or DLC? I loved Sonic Mania and I wouldn't mind playing it again, but not if I have to buy the whole shebang over again.

edit: Answered my own question, it's a $5 dlc. There's something to do, I expected to be playing Cross Tag since 9 characters were supposed to be dropped as DLC today, but it looks like ArcSys submitted it too late and now I have to wait for the eshop to update again, probably.

The performance increase is part of a free patch, the $5 dlc is just for the new characters/modes.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Moly B. Denum posted:

The performance increase is part of a free patch, the $5 dlc is just for the new characters/modes.

I figured the performance stuff was in the free patch, I just hadn't looked into the new characters/etc yet.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Sudden Javelin posted:

I bought a shitload of stuff on the Nintendo Summer Sale. I don't have the income for this!

What did you get? When I looked all I saw were titles I've never heard of

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

I've never preordered on the eshop before, when does Dead Cells unlock? Midnight EST?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Jim Sterling has a point: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jFBJZAT_1U

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

I've never preordered on the eshop before, when does Dead Cells unlock? Midnight EST?
:iiam:

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

Dev confirmed on Twitter midnight pst.
https://twitter.com/motiontwin/status/1026521103261425664?s=20

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Aug 7, 2018

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

bushisms.txt posted:

Dev confirmed on Twitter midnight pst.

Thanks. :cheers:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

That’s bullshit, 1.0 is already out on PC. Cancelling my preorder.

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007
Hey guys. Hollow Knight, or dead cells?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Zosologist posted:

Picross S 2

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Zosologist posted:

Celeste

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Zosologist posted:

Hollow Knight is amazing and out now. Can't say the same about Dead Cells

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
If I found Hollow Knight really hard, Dead Cells is probably not for my delicate babby sensibilities?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Dead Cells is bad because it's a poorly designed experience in which you need to die 300 times to hopefully unlock a very specific subset of abilities which might make it easier for you to kill one of the bosses that randomly generated.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Hollow Knight is legit right behind BotW for best Switch game I have played. It’s truly amazing. Anyone who is on the fence and has ever enjoyed a metroidvania needs to get it ASAP.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Piquai Souban posted:

If I found Hollow Knight really hard, Dead Cells is probably not for my delicate babby sensibilities?

Dead Cells is not nearly as hard as Hollow Knight in my opinion. There's a wide variety of playstyles available including just staying back and throwing traps and turrets

American McGay posted:

Dead Cells is bad because it's a poorly designed experience in which you need to die 300 times to hopefully unlock a very specific subset of abilities which might make it easier for you to kill one of the bosses that randomly generated.

it
s a roguelike

RCarr posted:

Hollow Knight is legit right behind BotW for best Switch game I have played. Its truly amazing. Anyone who is on the fence and has ever enjoyed a metroidvania needs to get it ASAP.

agreed it's really good. like insanely good

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Yeah, the more I play it, the more I'm appreciating it. Hollow Knight is a really good game.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Zosologist posted:

Too many drat good games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

lumines