Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

i am always really entertained by the "i am really good at my thing so i defy physics/biology" attitudes that are so pervasive among hobbyists

buddy I read avsforum so I am intimately familiar with this, a bunch of dudes in their 50s and 60s arguing about high resolution music when they can probably barely hear over 12kHz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Yeah lol at the scale on that graph

also packet size isn't that relevant to BTLE communication as long as the device is using btle 4.1 (? whichever revision added the extended pdu standard). previously it would have been very important to get your payload below 20 bytes which was the max size for a gatt pdu, and not as important below that unless you were doing """"connectionless"""" by putting data in advertising packets (do not do this). if you have the modern standards, you can get extended pdus. this is good because btle has a tdma scheme multiple connections to a single central, and you get one pdu exchange every time your connection interval comes around. the connection intervals are what determine the latency - your phy rate is 1mbps (or 2 on recent hardware) and with packets that even with the extended pdus are only 500ish bytes, that's not gonna contribute. the connection interval you negotiate with the host is what matters. this is a thing where the peripheral presents preferences but the host gets to pick, and the intervals go down to like 10 or 12ms. so what you see with the ds4 is basically the absolute minimum for btle latency and like people have been saying it's gonna be imperceptible especially on a console that is pushing frames to a real tv.

the connection interval, and thus the latency, is going to be larger than that on other devices for a couple reasons

- battery usage. the battery usage of a btle peripheral isn't super high, it's probably 5-10ma while transmitting the (again, quite short) packets and ua to na depending on how good the transmitter is otherwise; however, you do have to send something every connection interval and so this can be the difference between hours or days of battery life and months or years of battery life. so increasing the connection interval, or the number of connection intervals that can be missed before a connection dies, and talking less is a battery saving strategy. and these can vary quiiite a bit - connection intervals can go up to like 380ms and the timeouts before a device is considered disconnected much higher, to tens of minutes iirc
- the drat central doesn't let you. the central is what eventually presents you connection intervals you have to use. this part of the central is usually controlled by the OS drivers, and applications written on the OS that want to talk to peripherals don't get any say in the matter. for laptop or phone centrals there's power saving here too that can matter a lot more, since they don't get a connection supervision timeout, they have to be monitoring advertising channels, and they have to connect to multiple devices
- you're bad at developing btle peripherals. just rolled with defaults and your connection interval is at a lazy 100ms and you never investigated extended pdus even though your drat hardware is capable you just copy pasted the example code you lazy fucks i can fully understand why you were fired

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Shifty Pony posted:

here's the PS4 data format when acceleration and trackpad data isn't needed and it looks like they have it set up to jam all of the essential data into just 11 bytes.

that’s pretty cool. the old Xbox 360 controller system used a lot of power and i’m pretty sure it killed a USB hub for two when i used the PC adapter.

qirex posted:

a 7ms difference in latency is not perceptible to a human that has a reaction time of 200-400 milliseconds

i am in fact the same pleasurekevin that has argued that game streaming is fine and the lag is trivial. even when lag exceeds a few hundred milliseconds, we can adapt to it. but there are definitely bluetooth devices with and without perceptible lag.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

jit bull transpile posted:

What am I supposed to be looking at here

the ps4 controller has lower latency via Bluetooth than it does when wired via USB. pretty good indication that they put a hell of a lot of work into optimizing the Bluetooth link.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

The Management posted:

the correct answer for this:
1 cable that goes to a usb c monitor. monitor provides power and acts as a usb hub.

yes, it would be loving amazing if apple made something like this, you know, like they did with the cinema display

but no, let's just sell a bajillion dongles and hope loving belkin or lg can makes something that doesn't poo poo the bed in the presence of a wifi signal

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Shifty Pony posted:

the ps4 controller has lower latency via Bluetooth than it does when wired via USB. pretty good indication that they put a hell of a lot of work into optimizing the Bluetooth link.

kind of but it’s more an indication that they didn’t put a hell of a lot of effort into optimizing the usb link. you could get a lot less latency than that with a usb2 isoch endpoint

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

jit bull transpile posted:

What am I supposed to be looking at here

people caring about 2d fighters in 2018

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

xbox one controller is the epitome of game controllers, no reason to ever use or buy anything else

the 360 was almost perfect except for the d-pad and no usb port and they fixed both those things. nothing better

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Cocoa Crispies posted:

people caring about 2d fighters in 2018

does nidhogg count? because I will care about nidhogg until the end of time

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Lambert posted:

The PS4 controller absolutely does have less latency than other controllers, like the Xbox controller.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/controllers-input-lag-comparison.58569/

Thanks for the graph showing Sony controllers are garbage

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

fart simpson posted:

the actual correct answer is a computer with ports, op

i bought one of these. it is good

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Scott Forstall posted:

does nidhogg count? because I will care about nidhogg until the end of time

nidhogg is so good

shame about nidhogg2 looking like some gross 90s cartoon

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

infernal machines posted:

yes, it would be loving amazing if apple made something like this, you know, like they did with the cinema display

you’re looking for the LG Ultrafine, it seems to have Apple’s seal of approval and is sold exclusively at Apple. Apple doesn’t make Apple-branded external displays anymore.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

PleasureKevin posted:

you’re looking for the LG Ultrafine, it seems to have Apple’s seal of approval and is sold exclusively at Apple. Apple doesn’t make Apple-branded external displays anymore.

the lg ultrafine is a loving piece of poo poo

i am aware that apple doesn't make 1st party external displays, that was sorta the point

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

the lg ultrafine is a loving piece of poo poo

i am aware that apple doesn't make 1st party external displays, that was sorta the point

seems good to me

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

just fuckin' peachy

absolutely the top quality hardware we've come to expect from lucky goldstar

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

that was over a year ago and it’s fixed. apparently thunderbolt carries so much data it can gently caress with electronics and they didn’t have adequate shielding.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
i was gonna buy an lg 5k or two (and a macbook pro to drive them) but then apple announced they were working on a monitor for 2019 so welp

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

poty posted:

i was gonna buy an lg 5k or two (and a macbook pro to drive them) but then apple announced they were working on a monitor for 2019 so welp

i missed that announcement

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

PleasureKevin posted:

apparently thunderbolt carries so much data it can gently caress with electronics and they didn’t have adequate shielding.

yes, if your product isn't properly designed, it might not work. amazing.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

duck duck go is failing me, i can’t find any announcement

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

PleasureKevin posted:

duck duck go is failing me, i can’t find any announcement

i hope this doesnt take much pleasure away

https://www.macworld.co.uk/news/mac/new-apple-display-3474851/

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

on the contrary my pleasure has only increased

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
Regular brain: I'll use a wired input device that never runs out of battery, is cheap, and works great

galaxy brain: I'll use a wireless input device that performs worse, runs out of batteries (thus contributing to ecological destruction and running the risk of literally exploding), is more expensive, and requires me to open up my computer to wireless attack vectors

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

quote:

"As part of doing a new Mac Pro — it is, by definition, a modular system — we will be doing a pro display as well."

ahahahahaha

they've learned loving nothing from the trashpro

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

fishmech posted:

Thanks for the graph showing Sony controllers are garbage

learn2read

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
The fact it's taking this long to produce should make it pretty obvious the new Mac Pro is going to be another overengineered POS.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Lambert posted:

The fact it's taking this long to produce should make it pretty obvious the new Mac Pro is going to be another overengineered POS.

who are you?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
It's me, Jony Ive.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Lambert posted:

It's me, Jony Ive.

:gb2gbs:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

you see, you've got your compute core here, then you connect your thunderbolt jbod/raid stack, and you connect your thunderbolt gpu stack, and you connect your thunderbolt PCIe enclosure for DSPs

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
everyone in yospos is constantly on a plane,

I hope they get the thing they like

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Lambert posted:

learn2read

the graph explicitly shows that sony controllers are garbage dude

did you read it?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

ahahahahaha

they've learned loving nothing from the trashpro

we knew this ever since that article talking about how apple hired a bunch of "professionals" to study their workflow and the behind the scenes look had them running a recording studio using iPad pros as input devices for an iMac pro while a mbp with external GPU was doing whatever the gently caress on the side:

quote:

First, we visit the room where they record new instruments for Logic and Garage Band and then on to an edit bay used by the Pro Workflow Team to put Final Cut Pro through its paces.

Throughout, the idea of modularity was omnipresent. An iMac Pro with two iPad Pros hooked up to it allows for direct control, shortcuts and live access to the Logic manual, all while you’re mixing a song on the main device: an eGPU with a MacBook Pro running a live edit of an 8K stream with color grading and effects applied.

so yeah shits gonna suck because tim sees an opportunity to make users empty their bank accounts buying each modular bit separately.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

just fuckin' peachy

absolutely the top quality hardware we've come to expect from lucky goldstar

quote:

the LG UltraFine 5K Display can be effectively unusable if placed near a Wi-Fi router with some kind of radio interference causing the monitor to regularly black out and hang the connected MacBook Pro.

lmbo

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

turns out piping xxxtreme rfi down the pci-e bus is bad for stability

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Shifty Pony posted:

we knew this ever since that article talking about how apple hired a bunch of "professionals" to study their workflow and the behind the scenes look had them running a recording studio using iPad pros as input devices for an iMac pro while a mbp with external GPU was doing whatever the gently caress on the side:

so yeah shits gonna suck because tim sees an opportunity to make users empty their bank accounts buying each modular bit separately.

its because apple hasn't made anything good since december 1992, and gave up the pretense of making anything good in january 2011

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

I sincerely hope the next Mac Pro is essentially a Mac Mini with optional Thunderbolt eGPU that stacks on top of it

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
oh snap they leaked a pic of the Mac Pro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

oh snap they leaked a pic of the Mac Pro

lol did they ever ship this?

• Locked thread