Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Doctor Butts posted:

I just installed Pie on my Pixel 2 but I still have three buttons at the bottom. Their website says it's been changed to one. Anything I did wrong here?

Go into settings and enable gesture navigation (search for it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

vyst posted:

Because it can always work better? And a factory reset is a PITA but if there's a performance value there - then it's something worth exploring.
Quite a few people hitting Oreo 8.0 reported random issues that went away if they reset after the install.
If all your poo poo is in your butt then it's probably not a terrible idea.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Worth it's own post just to say:
I know people give the new Nokia phones a lot of praise already ITT, but by all account they'll be getting Android P this month if they're an Android One device.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Essential phone also got 9.0 today. They seem cool, and good.

Well, it's not like they're busy with the Essential 2 so

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

ilkhan posted:

Thats like saying "I'm totally happy with my house, but I think I want to burn it down and rebuild". Good enough is good enough.

If I could press a button and burn my house down and have it instantly rebuilt except now everything is clean and brand new you'd better believe I'd press that button every so often even if I had to cart my stuff out and back in first.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

docbeard posted:

If I could press a button and burn my house down and have it instantly rebuilt except now everything is clean and brand new you'd better believe I'd press that button every so often even if I had to cart my stuff out and back in first.

Preach my dude.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Incessant Excess posted:

Well, it's not like they're busy with the Essential 2 so

No need to be really tbh

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

FunOne posted:

Go into settings and enable gesture navigation (search for it).

Ah. Thanks. This is a change. If I keep this I'll have to get used to swiping all the way up for the app drawer.

edit: is there a quicker way to go into settings besides swiping down twice from the top and clicking the gear?

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Aug 6, 2018

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

No need to be really tbh

They could fix the camera

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Is the gesture navigation stuff worth learning?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Incessant Excess posted:

I've been trying it on the beta for ages and just am not seeing the point of it.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I'm down with it, it was quite jarring using the mrs' g6 recently without it

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

For some reason I thought the left side clock thing was configurable? Am I crazy? Why do we need notches again?

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Bandire posted:

For some reason I thought the left side clock thing was configurable? Am I crazy? Why do we need notches again?
because Apple

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

still no update on my pixel 2 after checking. google!!! :argh:

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Taffer posted:

still no update on my pixel 2 after checking. google!!! :argh:

Same, I barely know what the update is or what it's good for but I want it NOW

Sent from my iPad
Jun 19, 2000

What're the odds that the Moto X4 eventually gets updated to Pie?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Very good and likely very quickly since the Fi version of the X4 is Android One.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Still no update either. Gf got it on her essential.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I guess I better get used to gesture nav since it's the only option on the P3 and forward devices

https://9to5google.com/2018/08/06/google-pixel-3-android-pie-gesture-navigation/amp/

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Incessant Excess posted:

I've been using it this afternoon.

It's fine I guess. I don't see the point of it, but I also don't find it worse than the old style other than having to learn something new.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Thermopyle posted:

I've been using it this afternoon.

It's fine I guess. I don't see the point of it, but I also don't find it worse than the old style other than having to learn something new.

Same. Maybe with enough time it'll become faster as I get more proficient, but probably it'll just be about the same. I don't really mind it.

Tip for anyone (like me) who used to double tap the square to quick switch to their last used app: do a quick swipe right from center to do the same. Took me a bit to figure that out, but it's already feeling pretty natural.

If anyone has any tips for using the gestures, I'd love to head them.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

I don't see why they bothered with gesture navigation if they weren't also going to ditch the navigation bar as a concept entirely.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

sleepwalkers posted:

I don't see why they bothered with gesture navigation if they weren't also going to ditch the navigation bar as a concept entirely.

Maybe they're taking baby steps? In Pie, they introduce the slidy buttons and stuff, and then in the next version they make the navigation bar toggleable with default on, then the next they make it default off, etc...

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

sleepwalkers posted:

I don't see why they bothered with gesture navigation ...

The Merkinman posted:

because Apple

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

My work phone is a X (ballin and flexing itt) and took to it like a duck to water. Kudos to Essential for enabling it by default. They didn't copy the best feature from the X (or larger iphones for that matter) which is swiping down on the bar brings the screen down by half for one handed navi.

They should allow\enable swiping the fingerprint scanner from left to right should let you swap apps as well.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Incessant Excess posted:

Nothing to learn once it clicks that the implementation is less "gesture navigation" and more "consolidation of the nav bar, search, multitasking and All Apps into an expandable space equivalent to the Notification shade/Quick Settings".

It's essentially Android's take on Control Centre disguised as Android's take on the iPhone X.

sleepwalkers posted:

Hiding core navigation ("back") behind an invisible gesture is risky usability wise due to how entangled/multifaceted it is and "don't design it that way in the first place" isn't an option. The "Go all in, swipe left for back and remove the button!!!11" thing the Android bloggers seem to be pushing for just seems ergonomically worse given the amount of times back is accessed.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
What is the navbar gensture? I have Nova set to swipe up for it, but can't find the real gesture.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Slide up once to see the open apps, holdslide left and right to scroll.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Am I blind, or did they get rid of the ability to change all of your sound volumes without having to go into the settings? If I click one of the volume buttons now, I get a slider on the side, a button to turn on vibrate only, and a quick toggle to the sound settings menu.

edit: didn't CyanogenMod at one time have gesture navigation called Pie? :raise:

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

incoherent posted:

Slide up once to see the open apps, holdslide left and right to scroll.

Whoa.

I'm in the "lose that back button" camp, for sure.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Does the ability to quickly disconnect from a bluetooth device still exist? I expanded the quick settings pane and tapped the BT icon and it turned off BT. I instead held it and it took me to the BT menu, where it takes a few more taps to disconnect something.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

sirbeefalot posted:

Whoa.

I'm in the "lose that back button" camp, for sure.

I'm very much in the "give me a toggle for a smaller bottom bar" camp. I don't know how many of us there are. Just shrink it down a good bit, that'll cover me.

I've been using the gesture nav since the RC and I'm liking it, took a day or so, but it makes it one move to both launch & multi task, making me much more likely to just jump back into an app instead of going home and using the icon there. It "feels" faster because of this, which is good enough for me.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

hooah posted:

it takes a few more taps....

Honestly, that seems to be a common theme with Pie, it takes a few more taps to do a lot of stuff.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
aaaaAAAAAAAAAA THEY FINALLY FIXED TEXT SELECTION HOLY poo poo

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

hooah posted:

Does the ability to quickly disconnect from a bluetooth device still exist? I expanded the quick settings pane and tapped the BT icon and it turned off BT. I instead held it and it took me to the BT menu, where it takes a few more taps to disconnect something.

How complicated are you willing to get?

https://www.androidcentral.com/making-tasker-magic-bluetooth-connect

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Okay, but that's not really my point. I'd love it if they actually copied Apple here, but they didn't. They eliminated one software button.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
This is a dumb question, but how do I restore to 9? I'm on a Pixel 2 and on the beta program. I want to flatten and restore to the public release. I've only ever used iOS so I'm at a loss here

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Bandire posted:

Why do we need notches again?

Generally speaking, the center of the notifications bar is dead space. Either you tidy your notifications regularly so it's always blank, or you habitually ignore notifications so you don't care what's there. The notch allows that dead zone to be reclaimed for hardware necessities while still maintaining the core functionality of the notifications bar. Plus Apple already did it so it's low risk.

It takes some getting used to after years of the traditional style but for me seems fine overall, it increases the 'usable' area of the display so you can see more text at once while your browser has the nav bar out etc. I can see it being especially good for smaller devices where the camera/light sensor physically can't get smaller but you still want to squeeze more display space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

This is a dumb question, but how do I restore to 9? I'm on a Pixel 2 and on the beta program. I want to flatten and restore to the public release. I've only ever used iOS so I'm at a loss here

Just accept the update to the final version when it's offered to you (or go to the system settings and check for updates to get it sooner). It'll apply the diffs to make your system partition be just like if you went from 8.1 -> 9 and skipped the betas. You can factory reset after that if you really want to erase your userdata and start over.

If you absolutely don't want to wait any longer, then follow the directions to download an apply an OTA image, but fair warning is that requires a computer with the Android developer tools installed, and it's a 1.1GB download. If you take the incremental update on your phone when it's offered to you, the update from DP5 to the final version is like 45MB.