Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

My first attempt at painting scenery. Used the technique from this video, so primed with a rattlecan of Chaos Black I bought ages ago, then drybrushed with Vallejo Model Color Flat Brown and drybrushed again with Scalecolor Thrash Metal, then did the panels in Vallejo Model Color Burnt Red via stippling with a lovely brush.

It's a hell of a proof of concept. Now to apply it to this:

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Aug 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

After spending my beach trip cutting Knights off of sprue, I came home and finished these guys. All that's left is to clear coat and all of my Primaris are done!

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Painted up this monster Reaper Bones worm this weekend.

Trying to use the airbrush on organic shapes more so I only used a brush for the interior teeth and applying wash to the base. I'm pretty happy with the results.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
I finished my Harker!

The last picture is a bit blurry, sorry about that.
I made this lady bashing together bits from six different GW kits, across four different ranges, which was tons of fun. Can you spot all of them?

I am insanely happy with how well her eye turned out. That was, believe it or not, on the first try.

I'm never in my life going to be able to make a first attempt even half as well. :negative:

Also yes, I'm aware of the mold line on her arm. I managed to miss it right up until I took the pictures. :smith:

It is at least not as noticeable in real life, and completely invisible at tabletop distance. :unsmith:

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Groetgaffel posted:

I finished my Harker!

I made this lady bashing together bits from six different GW kits, across four different ranges, which was tons of fun. Can you spot all of them?

Escher, Ogryn, Tempestus, Skitarri, some flavour of orc/orruk (possibly blood bowl?) and maybe necron.

Would be my guess, but thats only 3 ranges.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

MrFlibble posted:

Escher, Ogryn, Tempestus, Skitarri, some flavour of orc/orruk (possibly blood bowl?) and maybe necron.

Would be my guess, but thats only 3 ranges.

Oh, I meant ranges as in Escher plus three different 40k armies.

Escher (obviously), Necron, and AdMech are right.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Groetgaffel posted:

Oh, I meant ranges as in Escher plus three different 40k armies.

Escher (obviously), Necron, and AdMech are right.

Well I was sure that was an ogryn jerry can underneath that massive gun. The fourth range has to be imperial guard or space marine, right?

Either way that's an impressive model, congrats.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

MrFlibble posted:

Well I was sure that was an ogryn jerry can underneath that massive gun. The fourth range has to be imperial guard or space marine, right?

Either way that's an impressive model, congrats.
Thanks man! :yayclod:

Base model is an Escher.
Both legs and the right arm plus grip: Necron Warrior
Left arm plus top handle: Necron Immortal
Heavy Bolter: Chaos Space Marine
Ammo box and belt: Kastelan Robot
Shoulder pads: IG tank commander
Targeter gizmo under the barrel: IG heavy weapons team.

E: oh that's seven, not six, huh.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
I'm late to the party but since i have a lot of free time recently I wanted to motivate myself to paint more so I'm going to do a :toxx:

I :toxx: to have 3 more Kill Teams of at least 100pts in value, and the major terrain piece I've made from the Kill Team starter box, fully painted and based by the end of the year.

That'll give me 4 teams finished just in time for no one to care about Kill Team anymore :v:

I also mostly finished some Grey Knights, all they need is a good once-over with some Testor's Dullcote and basing and they're finished. All I have is a mediocre phone camera but enjoy!

Had to take the full roster photo out of the lightbox because it's too small for all of them.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

This is what I have to do before NOVA.

This is looking pretty good though.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Aug 7, 2018

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Cross-posting from the 40k kill team thread.

Should be done to tonight when I get home. Along with a box of acolytes so I can make their leader and complete the team.

EDIT: Done

richyp fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Aug 7, 2018

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Armiger painting progresses. Felt like doing some hazard stripes and lots of yellow to figure out how to get good coverage/shading.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
I finished painting my Grey Knight Strike Squad for Kill Team today! Now they just need a varnish and some basing but that's for tomorrow.

I also started planning out my AdMech and I'm not sure how I feel about how this guy turned out.

I'm kicking myself for assembling them before painting them but I wanted to try them out before I committed to painting them.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I spent my entire evening painting session basecoating the trim on my Idoneth soulscryer's robe. I'm wishing I had picked any color other than VGC scrofulous brown for, as a color it's great and goes really well with the purples and blues I'm using but as a paint it suuucks.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

The Moon Monster posted:

I spent my entire evening painting session basecoating the trim on my Idoneth soulscryer's robe. I'm wishing I had picked any color other than VGC scrofulous brown for, as a color it's great and goes really well with the purples and blues I'm using but as a paint it suuucks.

I love it out of an airbrush, and hate it on a brush.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Took me an hour and a half to just do to do the edge weathering on his legs. I'll probably speed up as I get more practice, though. This is definitely better than the first two, in terms of paint placement.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

An attempt at white mask, porceline style. I think it might need more contrast but I dunno, gonna tackle the rest then come back to it.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Finished up my intercessor sarge last night.

I'm very happy with how he came out and I think I've really gotten a knack for the glowy eyes effect. I did gently caress up the gold on his backpack a bit but I'll just weather that out.

Tonight I'm gonna make my first attempt at a power sword so we'll see how that goes. Once I've got that and the bases done I can finally put this squad to bed. :woop:

E: forgot about weathering and decals. This paint job will never end.

Mikey Purp fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Aug 8, 2018

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I HAVE TOO MANY MINIS

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

This is looking pretty good though.

I didn't know that the Las cutter varient was out yet. I'm curious as to how it holds up on a regular Knight. I have the same weapon on the Atrapos, but in the one match I managed to use it in, it didn't feel that effective.

Thankfully now that chaos can take Armigers, my Atrapos should take less fire. So look forward to Antibus finally being finished.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

jadebullet posted:

I didn't know that the Las cutter varient was out yet. I'm curious as to how it holds up on a regular Knight. I have the same weapon on the Atrapos, but in the one match I managed to use it in, it didn't feel that effective.

It's not. I modeled and 3D printed that.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Mikey Purp posted:

Finished up my intercessor sarge last night.

I'm very happy with how he came out and I think I've really gotten a knack for the glowy eyes effect. I did gently caress up the gold on his backpack a bit but I'll just weather that out.

Tonight I'm gonna make my first attempt at a power sword so we'll see how that goes. Once I've got that and the bases done I can finally put this squad to bed. :woop:

E: forgot about weathering and decals. This paint job will never end.

Have you considered adding a pin wash to the recesses in the shoulder pads? Adding a dark line there might really look good.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It's not. I modeled and 3D printed that.

It looks great. I obviously couldn't tell, haha.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Have you considered adding a pin wash to the recesses in the shoulder pads? Adding a dark line there might really look good.

Thanks for the tip! I did try to do that with nuln oil but then ended up going over it when I did the orange edge highlights. I'll go over them with a micron pen tonight.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Mikey Purp posted:

Thanks for the tip! I did try to do that with nuln oil but then ended up going over it when I did the orange edge highlights. I'll go over them with a micron pen tonight.

I had good success with hitting the shoulder pads of my Armigers with a gloss clear coat and then lining the recesses with some GW gloss wash. Might be a bit more gradual than a pen.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

And his edge weathering is done. This is much better -- albeit not much faster -- than the first two I did with this technique; I'm learning to be much more restrained. Paint consistency is still a problem, though.

Just four more to go in this squad!

(Well, done except for the oil paint weathering which I will handle later....)

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

That looks sharp as hell mate.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Looks awesome, and I love me some beakies. I am eager to hear about your oil paint weathering method when you get to it. Considering going a similar route for my blood angels.

Speaking of, finished my intercessor sergeant's power sword last night:

I was going for this and did not get remotely close to that level of quality...but it turned out ok. I have lots to learn when it comes to airbrushing, especially when trying to do fine details. Paint consistency was my main problem and I had a lot of spidering going on. I ended up embracing that, especially around the tine of the lightning rod(?) cuz it made a kind of cool charge effect anyway.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Mikey Purp posted:

Looks awesome, and I love me some beakies. I am eager to hear about your oil paint weathering method when you get to it. Considering going a similar route for my blood angels.

Here's the reference video.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
Shortened crosspost, i was testing new color schemes after coming back from a several-year break to find my dried-out pots had all been discontinued.

Ceebees posted:

Kantor and Altdorf blues

Macragge and Calgar blues

Caledor and Lothern blues

The Fang and Fenrisian 'greys'

And a group shot.

Results: I have remembered that i'm quite indecisive. Going to try one more in blue-grey with a less vivid highlight color before final pick.
I like the blue-grey and navy blue schemes, but the sheer convenience of being able to spray-prime in macragge smurf blue is enormously tempting.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Mikey Purp posted:

Speaking of, finished my intercessor sergeant's power sword last night:

I was going for this and did not get remotely close to that level of quality...but it turned out ok. I have lots to learn when it comes to airbrushing, especially when trying to do fine details. Paint consistency was my main problem and I had a lot of spidering going on. I ended up embracing that, especially around the tine of the lightning rod(?) cuz it made a kind of cool charge effect anyway.

Looks great. I think it's a solid approach and actually like the effect more than the reference. Have you tried a wet palette for consistency?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
I painted some dudes.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Looks great. I think it's a solid approach and actually like the effect more than the reference. Have you tried a wet palette for consistency?

Oh yeah. I use a wet palette for brush painting, I was talking about getting the right consistency for my airbrush. Still trying to get the feel for the correct consistency and pressure for smooth results.

Booley posted:

I painted some dudes.

Nice, I especially like the weathering. How did you do the mud on the boots?

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

Ceebees posted:

I like the blue-grey and navy blue schemes, but the sheer convenience of being able to spray-prime in macragge smurf blue is enormously tempting.

If you're looking for feedback:

Kantor and Altdorf blues - this looks much more like a Crimson Fists appropriate blue

Macragge and Calgar blues - probably closest to the studio scheme. Maybe take the highlight one shade lighter? My second favorite.

Caledor and Lothern blues - add yellow shoulder pads and you've got some RT era boys going.

The Fang and Fenrisian 'greys' - I like this one a lot. Recognizably "Ultramarines," but a unique scheme nevertheless. The greys pair well with the gold and red you've chosen.

As an aside, consider incorporating codex markings strictly once you get going, including kneepads and shoulder pad edging for specific companies and squad markings. Codex-adherent Ultras (and Ultra successors) are extra great.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Mikey Purp posted:

Oh yeah. I use a wet palette for brush painting, I was talking about getting the right consistency for my airbrush. Still trying to get the feel for the correct consistency and pressure for smooth results.

Nice, I especially like the weathering. How did you do the mud on the boots?

Just slapped some black and grey pigments on there

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

If you're looking for feedback:

Always, thank you!

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I just applied Tamiya Dark Yellow to the yellow quarters of ONE HUNDRED Primaris Marines.

My eyes.
My trigger finger.
My sanity.
:negative:

(Fixing some saturation issues, and unifying my approach. I thought it best to complete it on every single one.)

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Finished up another 2 dudes today and still had my camera set up:

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Ha! Got all the edge highlighting done in one evening this time! Two down, three to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

dexefiend posted:

I just applied Tamiya Dark Yellow to the yellow quarters of ONE HUNDRED Primaris Marines.

My eyes.
My trigger finger.
My sanity.
:negative:

(Fixing some saturation issues, and unifying my approach. I thought it best to complete it on every single one.)

https://youtu.be/8xCdNPltksc

Seriously dude, I wish I had half your drive and/or insanity. Chewing through my backlog would be significantly faster.