Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Kai Tave posted:

How is it fuckin 700 pages? Isn't it a Warhammer Fantasy 1E retroclone? How big was the actual game it's "homaging?"
The Warhammer FRPG 1E rulebook was pretty honkin' big - 366 pages or so, and IIRC the text and margins were pretty tight.

Using terrible 1990s layout techniques, I could see puffing it up to 700 pages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I'm not really familiar with WFRP1E but Zweihander seems pretty solidly based on WFRP2E, and that core book was only about 250 pages. And it had an actual straightforward setting chapter in it.

EDIT: Hm, see, WFRP1's book is pretty big, but over 10030* pages of that is a setting guide. WFRP2 and Zweihander don't really have that.

EDIT 2: * Woops I hosed up.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Aug 6, 2018

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
now I'm thinking how thick a single book of D&D 3.5 would be if it included every single player-facing supplement in it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

now I'm thinking how thick a single book of D&D 3.5 would be if it included every single player-facing supplement in it.

too large. like an entire bookcase large.

edit: you could do it in multiple like 700 page volumes though

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Groverhaus but with load-bearing thousand-page hardback books.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

gradenko_2000 posted:

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

lol I'm at a bookstore and just idly flipped around in the Pathfinder playtest and the rules for rounding, multiplication and duplicate effects are in a subsection on page 299.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
I'd say it'd have to be at least five of these.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Pretty sure the Playtest didn't sell out like Starfinder did. Heard a story about somebody mentioning to folks waiting in line that it was freely available and annoying a Paizo rep. I've only gotten to start glancing at my virtual copy myself; it looks like it's trying to define stuff more tightly for Society play and the like?

gradenko_2000 posted:

Reminds me of my days running it; I would literally carry a milk crate of books into a session. Not missing doing that.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/darthmongoose/status/1026387102638989312

https://twitter.com/darthmongoose/status/1026387105377923078

https://twitter.com/darthmongoose/status/1026387108183896064

https://twitter.com/darthmongoose/status/1026387110738182145

https://twitter.com/darthmongoose/status/1026387113242251264

https://twitter.com/darthmongoose/status/1026387115884470272

https://twitter.com/darthmongoose/status/1026387118401232897

https://twitter.com/darthmongoose/status/1026387119567200256

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

It's no surprise I haven't seen it since I don't really follow much discussion of D&D, but who the gently caress is saying D&D's problem is that it's not Fate-like?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Yeah, the Pathfinder 2e rules are way less natural language and way more defined terms. It honestly feels a lot like 4e, which is really good.

Also D&D as prescribed rules would be great if 5e had any prescribed rules to make things easier.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

That Old Tree posted:

It's no surprise I haven't seen it since I don't really follow much discussion of D&D, but who the gently caress is saying D&D's problem is that it's not Fate-like?

More the opposite, where people are liking D&D because so many things are undefined

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

drat, turns out i'm just not #woke enough for not liking d&d

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
“In D&D no one gets to just do more because of their class and everyone is equal”

*fighter gets to attack and maybe deal damage three times*

*Wizard casts “Solve Encounter”*

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

this is a really good series of tweets

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I honestly cant disagree with her too much. Even allowing for the fact that D&D is not particularly well balanced, the narrative games really do favor the sort of people who actively go out of their way to dominate the table at the expense of less loud people. Social balance vs game balance I suppose. That said, D&D is no panacea to protect from the actively obnoxious.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
You can probably still do much better than D&D within that space but it does a good job of laying out some of the strengths of the paradigm

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

quote:

it had to be D&D because of the tight, unambiguous rules.

While "hey, Fate isn't great for everyone" is certainly true, and I love me some crunchy games...this sentence made me cringe.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Yeah her basic thesis is correct, but it falls about at DnD 5e.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

LeSquide posted:

While "hey, Fate isn't great for everyone" is certainly true, and I love me some crunchy games...this sentence made me cringe.

Yeah, people who like crunchy games deserve better crunchy games than stuff like D&D 5e or Shadowrun 5e in terms of rules tightness (or basic layout in the later case) to name a couple.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

That Old Tree posted:

It's a possible jump from the new Inspiration mechanic which is sort of like FATE points except tacked on the top of d&d and with no system support.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

cheetah7071 posted:

You can probably still do much better than D&D within that space but it does a good job of laying out some of the strengths of the paradigm

13th Age, D&D 4e, Torchbearer, the One Ring, etc. All better than 5e at this.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

This poo poo makes me miserable and I wish I understood why. Maybe its just a further reminder that a single game dominates all conversation outside of a few places and people just loving coming up with more justifications for why you shouldn't try other things.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
The idea of 5e's rules being concrete when several of the classes have access to jackhammers is hilarious.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Cassa posted:

The idea of 5e's rules being concrete when several of the classes have access to jackhammers is hilarious.

"5e is concrete."

Mike Mearls: "Stealth rules are decided entirely by the GM."

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

She never even said if it was 5e you freaks

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Plutonis posted:

It seems pretty clear thats what she is talking about. Especially when she has follow up discussions abut 4e with language like this:

https://twitter.com/darthmongoose/status/1026484676435824641

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

kingcom posted:

This poo poo makes me miserable and I wish I understood why. Maybe its just a further reminder that a single game dominates all conversation outside of a few places and people just loving coming up with more justifications for why you shouldn't try other things.

The entire series of tweets was good and 100% correct... just not about D&D. Replace D&D with a good crunchy game and you have a good summation of some of the strengths of crunchy games over loose games.

Or just append "4e" and it's all good.

More broadly, yeah, people rationalize their irrational preferences and it's impossible to tell whether they are honestly laying out their reasons or whether they are trying to come up with justifications to reduce cognitive dissonance. That's just a part of every discussion on every topic. Which is she doing? Who knows! Not even she knows, because it's hard even to catch yourself doing it, and you do it all the time!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
D&D only sucks in 3rd and 5th, the other editions are perfectly fine

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Plutonis posted:

It's either 3e or 5e because she half-dumps on 4e

e- dangit beat.

I'm going to marvel at this instead because holy poo poo

https://twitter.com/darthmongoose/status/1026387117239361536

Noxious player bases have nothing to do with whether or not the rules are clearly defined. There are just as many misogynistic pigs that play D&D as don't. And D&D does nothing to bridge the gap in communication/assertiveness between players.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Aug 7, 2018

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

there's a significant gap between "noxious playerbase" and "who naturally gravitates towards dominating a conversation, possibly without even meaning to"

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

there's a significant gap between "noxious playerbase" and "who naturally gravitates towards dominating a conversation, possibly without even meaning to"

:ironicat:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

what?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I mean no matter what tabletop rpgs are going to be dominated by men for the forseeable future so I don't see what the difference is here

:v:

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

The flask is the right choice because the devil or whoever wrote those little descriptions was insufficiently specific regarding the definition of liquor.

1. a distilled or spirituous beverage, as brandy or whiskey, as distinguished from a fermented beverage, as wine or beer.
2. any liquid substance, as broth from cooked meats or vegetables.
3.Pharmacology. solution(def 6).
4. a solution of a substance, especially a concentrated one used in the industrial arts.

Screw the wallet, if I have a flask with unlimited insulin I can make a pretty big dent on world diabetic health, and that's just with me not knowing any rarer solutions of substances for health. I guess maybe horseshoe crab blood? And if I'm hurting for money I'll just refill ink cartridges or something. Booze is for suckers.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Aside from never being able to live with myself if I ever used the locket, it's also just not terribly useful to me because I'm a lesbian...

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

The bit about putting a picture in a locket is a separate power without the opposite sex rider. So there's that, though yeah, it's all horrible and stuff. And as it stands, I can't imagine "Every dude you ever meet would do you" is all that different from the horror show that is the female experience in general.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

drrockso20 posted:

D&D only sucks in 3rd and 5th, the other editions are perfectly fine

D&D 3rd Edition is rather a strong example of the kind of rigorous rulesmanship that the twitter lady is talking about, and in that sense is miles ahead of 5th Edition.

4th Edition is better in the sense that the output of those rules makes for a better game, but if we're talking about the inherent value of defining everything within the rulebook and the enhancement of gameplay experience because of the limits placed by these rules, 3rd Edition is an exemplar in that regard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The real system rules being focused on here are the rules that relate to "how am I allowed to interact with the narrative?". Story games tend to say "do whatever the hell you want within reason, and here's the dice you roll depending on what you decide", which those tweets are claiming can be overwhelming. 3e and similar crunch-level systems attempt to document every way a player might want to interact with the world, so a sufficiently studious player could just remember what their options are from back in the long boring chapter about skills. 4e and 13th age just have a big old shrug emoji for how you interact with the narrative because it isn't what the rule systems are about.