Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

akadajet posted:

lol did they ever ship this?

nope. the idea was too dumb for android lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
when they say the mac pro will be modular they mean it will have a lot of ports for dongles

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

when they say the mac pro will be modular they mean it will have a lot of ports for dongles

no poo poo

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Shaggar posted:

nah what they mean is they'll just sell you as many lovely bricks as you want and none of them will connect together. they'll just sit there sucking power

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
an aluminum cube, 1 square foot, rounded edges. 36 small vent holes drilled in the bottom and four rubber feet, each covering a proprietary screw head. 8 usb-c ports on one side. literally nothing else on the case.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

are those google employees or an 8th grade field trip to google

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

i assume the purpose of that gathering is to make a human sacrifice.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
dehumanize yourself and face to Android 9 Pie

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
they call it android 9 pie because when you see it you do four and a half rotations and walk away

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
android Peopleflesh pie

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

wage-slaves to white supremacist fascists, smile!

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Fiedler posted:

an aluminum cube, 1 square foot, rounded edges. 36 small vent holes drilled in the bottom and four rubber feet, each covering a proprietary screw head. 8 usb-c ports on one side. literally nothing else on the case.

and inside is one 30mm fan with blades operating in the transonic regime despite the cpu being idle.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Shifty Pony posted:

and inside is one 30mm fan with blades operating in the transonic regime despite the cpu being idle.

there's no CPU, just the fan

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

fishmech posted:

there's no CPU, just the fan

ah right.

you need to purchase the compute-pro module for $6999 if you have a crazy edge use case where you would need to have a dedicated (4 core i7 mobile) CPU. how could I forget.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
they'll also offer an a11 compute core, in case you just want to run ios "pro" apps on a 30" screen

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

PleasureKevin posted:

are those google employees or an 8th grade field trip to google
Look for employee badges

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Sagebrush posted:

qirex posted:

a 7ms difference in latency is not perceptible to a human that has a reaction time of 200-400 milliseconds
i am always really entertained by the "i am really good at my thing so i defy physics/biology" attitudes that are so pervasive among hobbyists
This is relevant, but it is also true that all this latency is additive. 7ms saved on your input device is an extra 7ms delay you'll tolerate in the display or network.

So maybe the sum of all those things is 200+ms if you're doing something weird like using a stupid smart TV or cloud gaming.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Shaggar posted:

lol at the idea of ports when bluetooth exists. get with the times!

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Fiedler posted:

three of the ports will be upside-down

Shifty Pony posted:

you need to purchase the compute-pro module for $6999 if you have a crazy edge use case where you would need to have a dedicated (4 core i7 mobile) CPU. how could I forget.

nah

apple cloud compute service, like aws but for your computer, the brick knows how to go online to a single, hardcoded ip and connect to its brain

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Shifty Pony posted:

ah right.

Why would you ever need local compute resources? That's what THE CLOUD is for.

EDIT: Beaten by seconds!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Gynocentric Regime posted:

Why would you ever need local compute resources? That's what THE CLOUD is for.

EDIT: Beaten by seconds!

it’s called fog computing

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

flakeloaf posted:

three of the ports will be upside-down

usb-c tho

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

life, uh, finds a way

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
The totally revolutionary Mac pro. we think you're going to love it."

*lights fade for a moment, then come back up. Tim is now holding a usb-c hub*

*crowd goes wild*

*hot online takes that this is just like removing the floppy drive from the imac and that jony is a genius*

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

please let it be this one https://mg.lol/blog/charger/

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

lol i’m seeing an ad for the chromebook (they still make these?) and they’re leaning on the fact that it can play pubg*

*mobile

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Rex-Goliath posted:

lol i’m seeing an ad

lol indeed

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

look at this guy :rolleyes:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

goog figured out that chromeos is useless so they're considering making chromebooks dual boot windows 10

quote:

Google appears to be working on dual-boot support for Chromebooks. XDA-Developers has discovered that Google has been working to support an “alt OS mode” for its Pixelbook laptop for months now. Dubbed “Campfire,” an obvious nod to Apple’s own Boot Camp feature, Google’s dual-boot is rumored to support Windows 10 on Chromebooks.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/8/13/17682902/google-windows-10-dual-boot-chromebooks-support-campfire

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

google in 2010: a web browser is literally all you need!
google in 2016: ok fine, a web browser and some android apps
google in 2018: a web browser, some android apps, and dual-booting into windows???

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Fiedler posted:

google in 2010: a web browser is literally all you need!
google in 2016: ok fine, a web browser and some android apps
google in 2018: a web browser, some android apps, and dual-booting into windows???

There's also (limited) .deb Linux support too, bringing the total OSs to four.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

its an x86 laptop of course it can run whatever

the question is "how official" this effort will be

edit: some of them are x86 i mean

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
as long as the drivers are there windows will just work.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
chomebook suits my couch reading needs and is nice to travel with when I need a keyboard to respond to emails and do some light work

but I also have to use ms word for my job to do anything substantial so that kinda sucks

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

my dude, are you familiar with microsoft word online?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Windows owns

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

infernal machines posted:

my dude, are you familiar with microsoft word online?

ya but last I checked it could subtly gently caress formatting in existing docs

that being said, "last I checked" was like 3 years ago. maybe should look again

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it's a joke.

i mean it exists, it will probably only break documents from older versions of word that have markup or change tracking (because that poo poo breaks everywhere between versions), but i'm not seriously suggesting you use it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

is there a way to revert to the blob-man emoji on an android phone without running your phone through a russian credit card skimmer?

my new phone has android 8 and the only thing i really miss is the blobs

• Locked thread