Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

canepazzo posted:

Weird thing about their army composition: miltech 17, they had 112k infantry and 2k cavalry. 0 artillery.

This is why AI Russia is usually a paper tiger. The way the trade nodes are set up makes it very difficult for the Russian AI to earn much money from trade. While russian ideas include big bonuses to manpower and force limit Russia can rarely afford to build up to their force limit even with basic infantry. Artillery is a luxury Russian generals can only dream about. Thus once you hit mil tech 16, any army with proper artillery support can stack wipe Russian armies at will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Started up a new game as Ireland. Basically paid zero attention to continental Europe while I was conquering the Irish OPMs, England, and Scotland. The early 1600s roll around and suddenly, through no action on my part, I find myself elected emperor of the HRE. Somehow Catholicism remained the official religion of the empire, but everybody was Protestant. There was only one elector, which also happened to be the sole remaining Catholic country in the HRE. Basically my ruler got an unexpected package in the mail, and when he opened it he discovered the emperor's reglia and a note that said "You're it."

The six empty elector slots, the 30+ heretic princes, and the skads of provinces under non-HRE members meant my imperial authority gain rate was -95, so this ended up not being the pleasant surprise it might otherwise have been. I used the unlawful territory demand to start several wars and convert the losers, though this was complicated by the converted provinces getting gobbled up by Protestant neighbors as soon as they'd peaced out with me. Eventually I got enough Catholics to fill the empty elector positions, then tanked my rep with them to make them vote for someone else. Now it's Denmark's problem.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Communist Walrus posted:

Started up a new game as Ireland. Basically paid zero attention to continental Europe while I was conquering the Irish OPMs, England, and Scotland. The early 1600s roll around and suddenly, through no action on my part, I find myself elected emperor of the HRE. Somehow Catholicism remained the official religion of the empire, but everybody was Protestant. There was only one elector, which also happened to be the sole remaining Catholic country in the HRE. Basically my ruler got an unexpected package in the mail, and when he opened it he discovered the emperor's reglia and a note that said "You're it."

The six empty elector slots, the 30+ heretic princes, and the skads of provinces under non-HRE members meant my imperial authority gain rate was -95, so this ended up not being the pleasant surprise it might otherwise have been. I used the unlawful territory demand to start several wars and convert the losers, though this was complicated by the converted provinces getting gobbled up by Protestant neighbors as soon as they'd peaced out with me. Eventually I got enough Catholics to fill the empty elector positions, then tanked my rep with them to make them vote for someone else. Now it's Denmark's problem.

It's still usually nothing but bonuses, even when the authority is in the tank. I say just let the HRE collapse while you farm them for manpower. Alternatively, dismantle the HRE entirely and get the big bonuses attached with doing so. It would've been piss easy with one elector.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It's still usually nothing but bonuses, even when the authority is in the tank. I say just let the HRE collapse while you farm them for manpower. Alternatively, dismantle the HRE entirely and get the big bonuses attached with doing so. It would've been piss easy with one elector.

You can't dismantle the HRE when you're the emperor, and I couldn't join the empire because none of its territories were near enough to the British Isles to count as adjacent. It was either be the emperor or be nothing at all. They'd only managed to pass the first two reforms, so I wasn't missing much.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Communist Walrus posted:

You can't dismantle the HRE when you're the emperor, and I couldn't join the empire because none of its territories were near enough to the British Isles to count as adjacent. It was either be the emperor or be nothing at all. They'd only managed to pass the first two reforms, so I wasn't missing much.

You can dismantle it as a country outside the empire (as happened historically). The requirements for the electors' status are pretty weird though: http://eu4.paradoxwikis.com/Holy_Roman_Empire#Dismantle_HRE

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
Yeah no idea why the Russian AI decides to build only infantry, it's quite an oddball. Even looking at their income they should be able to afford a few artillery pieces.
Did try it though in my own ironman and just overwhelm Ottomans and Ming with my infantry and it worked out decently enough. I was super close to achieving enough manpower recovery so I could have a million men on a single province and replace my attrition and my total military maintenance was somewhere around 20-30 ducats a month.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Aug 5, 2018

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Do the AI regularly use Streltsy?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Sage Grimm posted:

Do the AI regularly use Streltsy?

I'm pretty sure it's this. They hit the button as soon as they have forcelimit so they never have the chance to build cannons or horses.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Is it just me that is "lucky" or does ai Ottomans have a similar problem, not recruiting janissaries and just using mercs 90% of the time?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Atreiden posted:

Is it just me that is "lucky" or does ai Ottomans have a similar problem, not recruiting janissaries and just using mercs 90% of the time?

I haven't personally observed this but I wouldn't be surprised. AI ottomans go warmongering like crazy, run their manpower dry, recruit shitloads of mercs to make up for it because they're just that filthy rich, never recruit janissaries as a result.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Also Janissaries suck now

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

you can only recruit jans from heathen states now so they may just not be able to

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

oddium posted:

you can only recruit jans from heathen states now so they may just not be able to

No I've seen this over multiple games in this patch, where they still hold a lot of orthodox provinces in Greece and the Balkans. I honestly just think the ai can't handle these new special units and it might be better to give ai Otto's and Russia a general buff to troops like Otto's had before.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Also Janissaries suck now

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
In the games I've played they always run out of manpower because they're fielding 200k armies in the mid-1500's.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Ithle01 posted:

In the games I've played they always run out of manpower because they're fielding 200k armies in the mid-1500's.

All the big countries at one point or another do this. They can't quite handle supply when at war and march doom stacks of armies around and then sometimes get stuck bleeding attrition while at peace.

I've also seen smaller countries have their military AI break and buy up more troops but don't collect them into stacks or move them when at war. Rarely will they snap out of it.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I had a weird glitch I think where the an enemy navy was stuck between leaving the port of a province I'd captured and going out to sea. It was the weirdest thing. For months it would just jitter as if it was like "Wait, I can't be in this port, the province is occupied, I have to go out to sea--but I don't want to go out, it's scary!"

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Mr. Fowl posted:

I had a weird glitch I think where the an enemy navy was stuck between leaving the port of a province I'd captured and going out to sea. It was the weirdest thing. For months it would just jitter as if it was like "Wait, I can't be in this port, the province is occupied, I have to go out to sea--but I don't want to go out, it's scary!"

I've seen that a few times and seen some other people mentioning it. Seems to be a fairly common bug.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Sage Grimm posted:

All the big countries at one point or another do this. They can't quite handle supply when at war and march doom stacks of armies around and then sometimes get stuck bleeding attrition while at peace.

I've also seen smaller countries have their military AI break and buy up more troops but don't collect them into stacks or move them when at war. Rarely will they snap out of it.

Saving and reloading often helps with AI glitches.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

I've seen that a few times and seen some other people mentioning it. Seems to be a fairly common bug.

Thanks, good to know it's not just me.

We've got a new Dev Diary. Mostly more of the same, listing some more countries that are getting unique national ideas and mission trees. I am always grateful though when they make special note of what comes free and what doesn't and when stuff gets tacked onto old dlcs, like they do here.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Sage Grimm posted:

I've seen it worse for the Ottomans because they balloon up early and then stay big while staying at war often.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Is there a way to edit ironman saves/cheat in ironman mode? I'm playing in Japan and an AI ally declared the war for japan but decided to sit at 99% warscore without ever signing a peace deal, meanwhile I'm at 60% overextension and they threw me in a war with the country all those cores belong to. Basically, they're sitting at full warscore while my country implodes because they're blocking me from coring my territory. You could call it a clever ploy on their part but in reality it's just a lovely AI bug absolutely destroying my campaign for no good reason. I'd rather not have that happen, if at all possible.

edit: Oh thank god, they finally signed the peace just as the Civil War disaster was about to trigger. And the peace they held out for was just for Ashikaga and Hosokawa to cede a bunch of land to everyone else in the war but me, with the shogunate not changing hands. Thanks guys.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Aug 10, 2018

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

If you're both tags that exist in the 1444 start you can do the old tag swap bug to take control of them and force them to send a peace deal that will end the war.

explained in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jO6Df8EL0E

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Aug 10, 2018

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I'll keep that in mind. When playing non-ironman mode, I have a tendency to "correct" bullshit moments caused by bugs or dysfunctional AI, and maybe get a bit overzealous. I've been trying to play on ironman more so I learn to just roll with the punches but this particular moment was so potentially disastrous that I just sorta panicked. It ended up just narrowly working out, though I had to raise autonomy in a lot of provinces as a result. Now I have the most development of the remaining daimyos but the lowest force limit and income. I guess I'll look on the bright side: my realm has plenty of room for improvement!

I can't afford to expand much for the next while so maybe I'll alternate humiliation wars between the big boys to avoid coalitions while I wait for my realm to stabilize. Or do I just go full balls-to-the-wall conquest, stability be damned?

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Aug 10, 2018

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Trying to understand trade (uh oh):

Most of the advice is "set your home node to wherever you have the most trade power". I'm playing as Prussia and have the most trade power in Saxony, but also have maybe 10% of power in the English Channel. The English Channel makes A LOT more money than Saxony, so moving my home node to the Channel gets me a lot more money. Am I right that this is the better choice?

The other main piece of advice is "don't collect from nodes that aren't your trade node" because of the big negative modifier. But in my Prussia example I'm pretty sure I make more money by collecting directly in Saxony and Lubeck (despite the malus) rather than steering them towards the Channel (where I only have a small slice of the final pie). Is that right? Or should I just be steering?

The tooltip for the light ships protect trade mission that tells you how much profit you'll make for each node: does this assume that you are collecting from that node rather than steering? The tooltip says "this will increase our trade value from 1 to 2 (1 gain)" and calculates the profit, but I might be steering that money downstream and only collecting a small part of it, right? From playing around it seems like that tooltip can't be totally trusted.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

fuf posted:

Most of the advice is "set your home node to wherever you have the most trade power". I'm playing as Prussia and have the most trade power in Saxony, but also have maybe 10% of power in the English Channel. The English Channel makes A LOT more money than Saxony, so moving my home node to the Channel gets me a lot more money. Am I right that this is the better choice?

The other main piece of advice is "don't collect from nodes that aren't your trade node" because of the big negative modifier. But in my Prussia example I'm pretty sure I make more money by collecting directly in Saxony and Lubeck (despite the malus) rather than steering them towards the Channel (where I only have a small slice of the final pie). Is that right? Or should I just be steering?

The tooltip for the light ships protect trade mission that tells you how much profit you'll make for each node: does this assume that you are collecting from that node rather than steering? The tooltip says "this will increase our trade value from 1 to 2 (1 gain)" and calculates the profit, but I might be steering that money downstream and only collecting a small part of it, right? From playing around it seems like that tooltip can't be totally trusted.

That kind of advice should never be taken as an absolute "always do it this way" kind of thing. Honestly, it can be pretty hard to predict how much money you'll make with certain merchant configurations. Whatever configuration makes you the most money is the correct configuration, end of story. Luckily, moving merchants around is free. So just experiment and stick with whatever makes good money.

Sorry if this doesn't teach you much about the trade system. But honestly, after probably over 1000 hours with the game, I still feel like I don't fully understand trade. Not that it's an impossible-to-understand monster of a system like the Vicky2 economy, but just because I never felt like fully understanding it was actually necessary to do well. Case in point: I never even knew those tooltips existed until this very moment. From experimenting just now, it seems that the "profit" part actually suggests total revenue generated subtracted by the maintenance cost of the ships you're using, and the numbers I'm seeing add up--when protecting a node you collect in. The numbers for nodes you're steering trade at are complete bullshit. I have no idea what is up with those numbers.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Aug 10, 2018

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

fuf posted:

that tooltip refers to how much money your trade power in the node controls. it is also unreliable as hell and i'm pretty sure had a bug or three involved last i played (cradle)

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Whatever configuration makes you the most money is the correct configuration, end of story. Luckily, moving merchants around is free. So just experiment and stick with whatever makes good money.

Thanks, yeah that makes sense. It's hard when the Reman's guide on youtube says emphatic stuff like "99% of the time your merchants should be steering". I always have the vague feeling that I could probably double my income if I just knew the optimal way to arrange things.

Prav posted:

it is also unreliable as hell and i'm pretty sure had a bug or three involved last i played (cradle)

Ok good to know. Even without the bugs it seems pretty misleading (if I'm reading it right). It says "profit" but it's pretty rare that you're actually receiving that money directly as income. If it's all going downstream to a node where you have no power then you might actually be losing money on the ship maintenance.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

fuf posted:

That kind of advice should never be taken as an absolute "always do it this way" kind of thing. Honestly, it can be pretty hard to predict how much money you'll make with certain merchant configurations. Whatever configuration makes you the most money is the correct configuration, end of story. Luckily, moving merchants around is free. So just experiment and stick with whatever makes good money.

Sorry if this doesn't teach you much about the trade system. But honestly, after probably over 1000 hours with the game, I still feel like I don't fully understand it. Not that it's an impossible-to-understand monster of a system like the Vicky2 economy, but just because I never felt like fully understanding it was actually necessary to do well. Case in point: I never even knew those tooltips existed until this very moment. From experimenting just now, it seems that the "profit" part actually suggests total revenue generated subtracted by the maintenance cost of the ships you're using, and the numbers I'm seeing add up--when collecting in a node you collect in. The numbers for nodes you're steering trade at are complete bullshit. I have no idea what is up with those numbers.

Agree with Dr. Video Games, the trade system is opaque at best. In your place, I'd do exactly what you do: get some power in an end node (so nobody is siphoning away), collect there, and steer there if possible (like I'd steer from Lubeck to EC), then make the utmost to get more trade power in the end node. Conquer more provinces, put 100 light ships to protect trade, get trade ideas, give CoT/estuary/high DIP development provinces to the burgher estate, whatever you can.

If you have a reasonable amount of trade power in valuable nodes that can't be steered to your collecting node, you can collect there, I think that decreases some efficiency somewhere but if the collected value is high enough it will offset it. Like if you own all of Italy, you'll probably have the lion's share of trade power in Venice and a good chunk in Genoa; Genoa can become a much richer node thanks to New World trade coming in after the colonizers do their job, so it makes sense to make it your home node but in that case collecting in Venice avoids all the ducats arriving there going to waste, even if you have to give up some trade power in Genoa (and thus get less ducats from there) this way.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Why can I forced my enemies to optimize trade to benefit me but can't press a button that just sas "maximize profits" for my own country? Seems weird

Why do I literally have to send, wait, then compare? Why is it not instantly or some way to see it right away like with boats?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Why can I forced my enemies to optimize trade to benefit me but can't press a button that just sas "maximize profits" for my own country? Seems weird

Why do I literally have to send, wait, then compare? Why is it not instantly or some way to see it right away like with boats?

An optimize trade button sounds like it would be kind of difficult to implement. There's a lot of factors, and even the boats info lies all the time.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

fuf posted:

We're going to need a map that shows your country and also the trade map. Generally speaking, if you've kept to mostly Germany and the Baltic you should be better off trying to dominate the Lübeck node. You can take Sjælland from Denmark to get a big boost and with some alliance juggling it shouldn't be too hard to get Lübeck and Hamburg from the small republics. Then if you control Danzig and other stuff up that way you can funnel basically all the trade from that node to Lübeck.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

AnoHito posted:

An optimize trade button sounds like it would be kind of difficult to implement. There's a lot of factors, and even the boats info lies all the time.

Optimize is a strong word, but some sort of "gently caress it, I don't want to put any brain power into this, just have the AI handle it" button would be nice.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Collecting outside your home node is actually quite a good idea a lot of the time, it's extremely bad advice to tell people that you generally want to steer back to your home node.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

AnoHito posted:

well i mean they have some ai routine for it already

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

RabidWeasel posted:

Collecting outside your home node is actually quite a good idea a lot of the time, it's extremely bad advice to tell people that you generally want to steer back to your home node.

Why is that? I've only ever found a reason to do it in relatively unusual circumstances, ie. when I'm strong in a valuable node I can't steer home.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

the only time i’ve found collecting outside of home worth it is on the extremes of trade node control, which is when i’m an opm and have nothing and when i’m 5000 dev and own everything

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Wafflecopper posted:

Why is that? I've only ever found a reason to do it in relatively unusual circumstances, ie. when I'm strong in a valuable node I can't steer home.

It often depends on what your home node is - some nodes just aren't good for collecting in even if they're your home node - at the same time, you don't want to move your home node and spend 200 dip points every time you conquer a new chunk of territory.

Also it only takes a small amount of leakage en route to your home node for locally collecting to be better. And if you can't dominate any single node for whatever reason, then collecting separately in all of them is usually better, or a combination of collecting and transferring.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Anyone have experience with Dracula’s Revenge? I can’t get it off the ground. Is Wallachia or Moldavia an easier start?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

moldavia by far, you can eat poland in independence wars