Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Holy moly lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

didn’t know Pattinson was Russian.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

tweet my meat posted:

Counterpart is a wonderful entry into the genre of multidimensional spy thrillers. It's on the starz catalogue if you wanna get a free trial on prime, they have the pixar collection as well I think which is fun.

A while ago I asked about supernatural / sci-fi spy thrillers and nobody could name any (aside from Person of Interest, sort of) so I will absolutely check this out.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Our president, ladies and gentlemen.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Probably mentioned a bunch but I had a lovely day and turned on Somebody Feed Phil and it's just a really happy, pure thing about food and made the day better. The New York episode is great. We must protect Phil at all costs.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Tim Whatley posted:

Probably mentioned a bunch but I had a lovely day and turned on Somebody Feed Phil and it's just a really happy, pure thing about food and made the day better. The New York episode is great. We must protect Phil at all costs.

It depends on my mood. I really enjoyed the first season, and found him charming albeit cheesy. I sat down last week to watch the new season, and I was already in a bad mood, and his constant dad jokes made me want to hurl.

It also resulted in me having the theme song stuck in my head all day yesterday.

I'm sure I'll dive back in eventually.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Us and Them was an ok watch. Kind of like Funny Games, except from the antagonists pov and very topical. I don't know if I'd call it great or anything, but it had some solid performances and wasn't too bad for the genre. Incredibly loving bleak though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Trump's obsession with RPatz is one of the more bizarre things about this timeline.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Anon: Wait, they're tricking the superhacker with a slapped together identity for the same cop that she was chased by and who she brain-hacked shortly before?

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I just watched the netflix movie event of 2018: Extinction.

Oh boy, this could be renamed Plot Hole the movie.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Actual trailer for Netflix's Maniac. This things looks crazier than what the teaser suggested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6cDDmk-O5A

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Collateral posted:

I just watched the netflix movie event of 2018: Extinction.

Oh boy, this could be renamed Plot Hole the movie.

I watched it last night, and by the point they were trying to escape the apartment, I had somewhat rightly guessed what the big plot twist was.

I do have a question though, considering there were about five times the characters put themselves in danger because the one kid kept just panicking and freezing up... has there ever been a movie where a character has just gone ‘welp, sorry kid, can’t have you dragging everyone down!’?

Not that I’m rooting for a sniveling kid to get annihilated, but ‘kid freezes up, character puts themself in mortal danger’ is just a pretty easy-peasy way to add tension to scenes.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
edit- YOU SAW NOTHING

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Aug 6, 2018

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

GonSmithe posted:

edit- YOU SAW NOTHING

YOU ARE RIGHT, I SAW NOTHING

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Aug 6, 2018

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

LadyPictureShow posted:

I watched it last night, and by the point they were trying to escape the apartment, I had somewhat rightly guessed what the big plot twist was.

I do have a question though, considering there were about five times the characters put themselves in danger because the one kid kept just panicking and freezing up... has there ever been a movie where a character has just gone ‘welp, sorry kid, can’t have you dragging everyone down!’?

Not that I’m rooting for a sniveling kid to get annihilated, but ‘kid freezes up, character puts themself in mortal danger’ is just a pretty easy-peasy way to add tension to scenes.

Haha there is actually a part in chapter 4 of The Walking Dead (the Telltale game) where this comes up. Useless idiot who keeps almost bringing about disaster is in danger and it's up to you to save him, or not. I let that fool die. no regrets.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
You guys are all insane I totally stand by my assessment that Tusk is amazing.

But don't ask me to watch it again. Because I won't. You can't make me.

So, maybe I wouldn't say amazing. Remarkable? In that, I'm able to remark about it?

Ehh.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

magnificent7 posted:

You guys are all insane I totally stand by my assessment that Tusk is amazing.

But don't ask me to watch it again. Because I won't. You can't make me.

So, maybe I wouldn't say amazing. Remarkable? In that, I'm able to remark about it?

Ehh.

It was... something all right. It felt like a real gently caress you from Smith to everyone in the establishment that (rightfully) criticized his later films. He doesn't need to get better at his job; he has internet fans who actually want him to get really high and dook out an idea. He doesn't need professional laudates; he has a thriving community of mediocretins who love him just the way he is and he can prove it by making a movie out of some meandering poo poo that leaked out of his face during one of his many podcasts and bask in the geek love.

Which definitely makes it interesting because, more than any other Smith film, its existence is a clear, focused statement that emerged from his feelings rather than his twerpy intellect. I was definitely in for the ride and was looking forward to watching more personal statements from an insecure man who I consider moderately aggravating at the best of times.

Then Yoga Hosers came out.

Then... Yoga Hosers... came out.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

The MSJ posted:

Actual trailer for Netflix's Maniac. This things looks crazier than what the teaser suggested.

Desire to know more intensifies.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I'm going to interrupt the terrible movie chat to remind everyone that The Godfather parts 1 & 2 are on Netflix still and deserve your time and attention.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

The MSJ posted:

Superbad 2 going in some new directions.

mystes
May 31, 2006

The MSJ posted:

What is a "Netflix Limited Series"?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
A mini-series made by Netflix.

Duh.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Franchescanado posted:

I'm going to interrupt the terrible movie chat to remind everyone that The Godfather parts 1 & 2 are on Netflix still and deserve your time and attention.
Yeah well, say what you will but GF1 and 2 are no TUSK that's for sure am I right guys

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

mystes posted:

What is a "Netflix Limited Series"?

It's their way of saying that it's a series, but expect it to be a complete story with a beginning, middle and end. HBO I think was calling Big Little Lies a limited series because they wouldn't expect to ever get that cast together again.

Of course, if it's a big enough hit they'll figure out a way to go for Season 2 like they did with True Detective.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I don't trust Netflix not to continue it, but I like the idea.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

mystes posted:

The End of the loving World season 2 coming soon

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

mystes posted:

Yeah, it’s new corporate speak for television. Most stuff is marketed as a Limited Series now. If it succeeds then they can bring it back and they get credit for listening to the wants of their consumers. If it fails then the show wasn’t canceled, it just finished it’s limited run.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I turned off Extinction part way through, I had low expectations but any alien invasion movie where the aliens get ambushed and wiped out by a crew of amateurs (there are actually quite a few films with this trope) just ticks me off

Why would you risk your life to wipe out humanity when you could just build space robots to do it for you and then you haven' t flown between the stars just to get shot in the back by some redneck with an AK

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

regulargonzalez posted:

Haha there is actually a part in chapter 4 of The Walking Dead (the Telltale game) where this comes up. Useless idiot who keeps almost bringing about disaster is in danger and it's up to you to save him, or not. I let that fool die. no regrets.

Oh yeah, I remember that bozo; Ben, right? Either way, things don’t end well for him.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Filthy Hans posted:

I turned off Extinction part way through, I had low expectations but any alien invasion movie where the aliens get ambushed and wiped out by a crew of amateurs (there are actually quite a few films with this trope) just ticks me off

Why would you risk your life to wipe out humanity when you could just build space robots to do it for you and then you haven' t flown between the stars just to get shot in the back by some redneck with an AK

Too bad you missed the twist.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I watched Extinction, but did I miss a satisfactory explanation why they decided it was a good idea to believe they were human? I'm perplexed by that, and just seems like it was done to trick the audience. I guess none of them ever had an accident and needed "surgery"?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Some of them had robo-PTSD and wanted to forget they murdered huge swaths of their makers. Some still remembered but chose to keep it a secret to let those that didn't lead a peaceful life. And I would assume if someone was damaged enough to expose their robo-innards, they'd just have those memories wiped again after they were repaired.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Lycus posted:

I watched Extinction, but did I miss a satisfactory explanation why they decided it was a good idea to believe they were human? I'm perplexed by that, and just seems like it was done to trick the audience. I guess none of them ever had an accident and needed "surgery"?
It's because the movie is terrible.

If they thought they were human, why did none of them think it was weird that the kids stayed kids for decades/years? Was the entire population mind-wiped every year?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Crows Turn Off posted:

? Was the entire population mind-wiped every year?

I filled that gap that way on my own, but it still depends on the bizarre decision to pretend to be human in the first place.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Some of them had robo-PTSD and wanted to forget they murdered huge swaths of their makers.

So no, not satisfactory.

Why pretend to be human for that, anyway? Just create memories of being happy robots who got freedom peacefully. Again, to trick the audience.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Aug 6, 2018

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I was just thinking about the Rover, and when Guy Pierce first catches up with the guys who stole his car, why didn't he just ask for his dog back?

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

veni veni veni posted:

I was just thinking about the Rover, and when Guy Pierce first catches up with the guys who stole his car, why didn't he just ask for his dog back?

Pride, maybe?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Lycus posted:

So no, not satisfactory.

Why pretend to be human for that, anyway? Just create memories of being happy robots who got freedom peacefully. Again, to trick the audience.

Yep, they tricked the audience.

So what.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Yep, they tricked the audience.

So what.

That's missing the point. A good twist is also natural in-universe.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Lycus posted:

That's missing the point. A good twist is also natural in-universe.

Very much agreed. It's the difference between the "it was a dream" twist in Mulholland Dr and the one in Lynch's daughter's movie Boxing Helena

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The way the second part of the twist was disguised was just as ridiculous. Humans just wear alien costumes now for some reason The worst part is I still felt like it was obvious what was gonna happen there despite the goofy nonsensical costumes.