Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

There's three birthday cakes on every map. Save the World supremacy!

I finally got to Twine Peaks just in time for a bunch of 50-somethings to make it there, too. It seems your progression to Twine Peaks from Canny Valley is linked to your Canny SSDs, which are available one after another as side quests now. I don't know if the new Canny quest chain is required to unlock them (since they're shown as Side Quest) but since they seem to get you to Launch the Rocket instead of any other quest chain the bar to entry is very low. In Canny in the last month there's been a lot more leechers who are mostly goddamn idiots who want to harvest resources so they can trade for "good guns." So, I'm at Twine Peaks at homebase level 80 and I've arrived at the same time of 40 and 50 level idiots who will ruin missions there.

It's kind of amazing that they all want good guns but they just seem to collect them and trade them, despite guns being consumables made for doing missions that anyone with the schematic can infinitely produce. StW has gotten super weird since so many BR players jumped over. The new reporting feature lets you report people for ignoring objectives but I doubt they'll ban 80% of the playerbase for pissing off the other 20%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Rexxed posted:

The new reporting feature lets you report people for ignoring objectives but I doubt they'll ban 80% of the playerbase for pissing off the other 20%.

I'd be very surprised if the report feature wasn't just added as a placebo or otherwise just sends things to a currently unmonitored log.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Coolness Averted posted:

I'd be very surprised if the report feature wasn't just added as a placebo or otherwise just sends things to a currently unmonitored log.

Yeap, this is the case. Just like the last report system didn't do poo poo for 11 months straight. They even admitted the latter, which gave me a huge Blizzard vibe.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Seditiar posted:

Yeap, this is the case. Just like the last report system didn't do poo poo for 11 months straight. They even admitted the latter, which gave me a huge Blizzard vibe.

Blizzard reports work though, remarkably well at that.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Blizzard reports work though, remarkably well at that.

Yes, they do. But they also admitted bug reports specifically never reached a pair of eyes from any Blizzard staff. I'm a bit foggy on the date, but I believe this was up to and including MoP.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Rexxed posted:

There's three birthday cakes on every map. Save the World supremacy!

I finally got to Twine Peaks just in time for a bunch of 50-somethings to make it there, too. It seems your progression to Twine Peaks from Canny Valley is linked to your Canny SSDs, which are available one after another as side quests now. I don't know if the new Canny quest chain is required to unlock them (since they're shown as Side Quest) but since they seem to get you to Launch the Rocket instead of any other quest chain the bar to entry is very low. In Canny in the last month there's been a lot more leechers who are mostly goddamn idiots who want to harvest resources so they can trade for "good guns." So, I'm at Twine Peaks at homebase level 80 and I've arrived at the same time of 40 and 50 level idiots who will ruin missions there.

It's kind of amazing that they all want good guns but they just seem to collect them and trade them, despite guns being consumables made for doing missions that anyone with the schematic can infinitely produce. StW has gotten super weird since so many BR players jumped over. The new reporting feature lets you report people for ignoring objectives but I doubt they'll ban 80% of the playerbase for pissing off the other 20%.

People are stupid, they're even too loving dumb to realize that not helping with encampments is the dumbest thing you can ever do. Even from a pure material farming perspective, it's best to knock out all the camps as they give a ton of rewards.

They're tightening the PL requirements of maps today, but it'll just result in more high level loving assholes to taxi lower levels into maps.

objectively bad
Nov 11, 2006

ABANDONS HIS FRIENDS

H A T T A M posted:

After messing with my settings in Playground for a while, I played my first match (Solo). I landed far away from the bus in Pleasant Park and spent 15 minutes looting it without seeing a single person. The circle kept coming to me so I just kept looting. I got 9th place by not seeing anyone until I heard someone in a house and lost the fight. It was so incredibly boring. Now I go to Tilted and am actually having fun, even if I die within 30 seconds.

This is why I stopped playing solos. I'd rather go into duos or squads alone. There's 20-25 people left alive before the first circle has started closing in in solos. Its incredibly boring.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Seditiar posted:

Yes, they do. But they also admitted bug reports specifically never reached a pair of eyes from any Blizzard staff. I'm a bit foggy on the date, but I believe this was up to and including MoP.

I have no idea about WoW reports, especially that long ago. In Heroes of the Storm and Overwatch the system works and is being improved over time.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I have no idea about WoW reports, especially that long ago. In Heroes of the Storm and Overwatch the system works and is being improved over time.

Yeah, that I agree with. It's just the specific part about basically not even registering certain reports that gave me a Blizzard vibe.

I can only hope Epic becomes be as great as Blizzard when it comes to reports of people who're (consistently) assholes/grief etc..

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

They changed the camera angle in StW (maybe in BR as well?) and it's super weird and gross. They somehow managed to block even more of your screen with this update, between this and their bloated UI you have about 40% of your screen left when aiming.

They did add auto pick-up for building mats/ammo to StW now though, which is great. Not in the patch notes for some reason.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Dog controls your destiny.

5.20 update is out. They didn't bother to fix the motion aiming after breaking it for inverted Y-axis players with 5.10.

New LTM is a constantly closing circle. Could be neat.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Apparently the new camera angle in StW is now the same as BR. I never noticed it being an abomination in BR. I guess it's mostly due to BR having a clean, minimalistic design while StW's UI already blocks a shitload of your view.

It does make aiming a bit easier though, which is nice.

Seditiar fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Aug 7, 2018

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Game seems very buggy after the patch.

Had a lot of crash to desktops and just randomly lose all sound in the game.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Is ATK back? Still need to do the challenge from last week.

Edit: it is

Fritzler fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Aug 7, 2018

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

freeranger posted:

Game seems very buggy after the patch.

Had a lot of crash to desktops and just randomly lose all sound in the game.

I haven't had all that much time to play on desktop but I put it on gfs laptop and both times I've played (pre 5.20) I've had sound issues. I noticed last night that when you get that beep after spawning in the waiting area, it skitzed out and then no sound at all. I tried a few things, disabling exclusive control of the device, enabling background sound in the game, I dunno if its where I have the bitrate up on max or not. But its annoying. Gotta relaunch the game to get it back.

Fritzler posted:

I feel like they oughta just spot us that challenge. gently caress using the shopping carts for it

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Fritzler posted:

Yeah, that's my last remaining challenge and it's pretty annoying that we can't complete it.

I tried doing one with a shopping cart, made it about halfway up my ramp before falling over and having the opposing 50v50 team ram me with an ATK then blow me up with a rocket launcher, it was the saddest ramp jump I think on record.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Seymour Buttz posted:

5.20 update is out. They didn't bother to fix the motion aiming after breaking it for inverted Y-axis players with 5.10.

New LTM is a constantly closing circle. Could be neat.

They said they’re on it and another Switch only patch is coming.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Aw man I miss the Battle Bus Birthday Beats

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

manero posted:

Holy gently caress it's gone? I gotta turn the game on just to hear it without that. So worn out

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

SeANMcBAY posted:

They said they’re on it and another Switch only patch is coming.

Nice! Scouring the internet for beacons of hope was getting sad so I haven't checked in a while. Thanks.

edit: (to the person below this post) Yeah that's pretty big. PUBG Mobile was the first game I played with good gyro and I was baffled by how I could get better long range shots on a PHONE than I could on analog sticks I've been using since I was like 11. I still can't imagine building on mobile controls though.

Seymour Buttz fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Aug 8, 2018

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

They just added gyro aiming to the phone version too! Maybe I’ll give it another try now.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

So the game (or its menus anyway) is nothing but one big glitch since the patch. Cool

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Here's an interesting bug in the Switch version. If you touch the screen in handheld mode one time during a game, the camera will jump drastically. It doesn't happen again after that first touch.

Could that be left over from some abandoned touch control scheme or something?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

manero posted:

Best music. :(

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
that was the most annoying game music I've ever heard

except for the club music that's playing in that unnamed town in the south

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

What is wrong with you.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

the birthday beats should have kept going for the full bus ride instead of cutting off on two weird beats in the middle

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Of course I will get headshot by the new shotgun from a mile away and I do 27 damage on a stationary target I sneaked up on. loving shotguns.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Come on now. I hit someone with a well placed shot with the new double barrel last night, I think it may have even been legendary, I dunno how to gauge the distance but it was close enough I thought it would do something. Did 7 damage.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I shotgunned someone I snuck up on 4 times in the back in a 50v50 last night, with the tactical shotgun.. They turned around and one-shot me.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Nullsmack posted:

I shotgunned someone I snuck up on 4 times in the back in a 50v50 last night, with the tactical shotgun.. They turned around and one-shot me.

Everyone who has ever played a multiplayer shooter has to read this, this post reminded me of this line from it

glory days of SA posted:

TMP - This 'tactical machine pistol' is used by the counter-terrorists. If real counter-terrorists use this thing, I fear for our nation's safety. People who use this gun will tell you that it has a fast rate of fire, it's accurate, and it reloads quickly. This is all true. There's really only one downside to this gun - in order to actually do any damage with it, you have to empty at least 40 shots into an enemy before the total damage will be high enough to round up to 1. After that happens, the enemy will turn around and clobber you with a Desert Eagle, which he bought for half the cost of the TMP. Nothing is more humiliating than being slaughtered by low-budget terrorists.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Inspired by the "John Green is a Fortnite Pacifist" videos, I decided to see how it would go if I never shot anyone and just hid my way to the end. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0on2x1YE8c

I played 10 matches, came in 2nd place three times, 3rd place twice, 9th place 3 times, and the other two were in the teens somewhere.

Keep in mind, I've never played Fortnite before. My conclusion is that most people must be playing this game as if it were team deathmatch or free-for-all, just running around and trying to get a bunch of kills. It seems to me that the only reasonable strategy, given that you are supposed to outlast 99 opponents, is to land far away from people, gather resources, then avoid all fights unless absolutely necessary, until finally taking on the last remaining opponent. Unless you're so good that you figure you have a 90+% chance of winning a fight, you shouldn't be fighting anyone along the way.

I don't think it's realistic to be able to win a match without fighting at this point. I believe it used to be more doable, when the mechanics of how the new circles are chosen were different. At the end, the new circle now often ends up outside the old one, forcing you to go running across a field in the open, which pretty much means you're dead if you're trying not to shoot. It used to be that you could find or build a monster building and hide in it somewhere and then outheal the opponent to a win when the final circle closed on the last two people, but I don't think this can likely work now.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Yeah, but that's intentional. Stockpiling and only going for advantageous fights until the end should be viable. "I'm in a bunker with multiple stacks of bandages and medkits I've juggled, surviving storm damage next to a campfire" should not be viable as it makes for a very stale game.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Orange Sunshine posted:

My conclusion is that most people must be playing this game as if it were team deathmatch or free-for-all, just running around and trying to get a bunch of kills. It seems to me that the only reasonable strategy, given that you are supposed to outlast 99 opponents, is to land far away from people, gather resources, then avoid all fights unless absolutely necessary, until finally taking on the last remaining opponent. Unless you're so good that you figure you have a 90+% chance of winning a fight, you shouldn't be fighting anyone along the way.

A large, large number of my rando squad losses come directly from one of my teammates deciding that if an enemy exists on their screen, they need to shoot them immediately.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I think most people playing this are children, so it's not surprising that they're bad at it. otoh some children are very good at it.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Coolness Averted posted:

Yeah, but that's intentional. Stockpiling and only going for advantageous fights until the end should be viable. "I'm in a bunker with multiple stacks of bandages and medkits I've juggled, surviving storm damage next to a campfire" should not be viable as it makes for a very stale game.

Oh, I'm not complaining about that. Trying a pacifist way of playing naturally makes you want to see the limits of how far you can go with it, but of course the game shouldn't be designed around this. The current way that circles work at the end game is probably for the best, as it forces people to move around instead of sitting in a huge tower.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Question: I'm thinking of trying my pacifist gameplay during squad play, to find out how that goes. This would mean me ignoring my team completely and hiding in bushes. Would that be an rear end in a top hat thing to do?

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.

Orange Sunshine posted:

Question: I'm thinking of trying my pacifist gameplay during squad play, to find out how that goes. This would mean me ignoring my team completely and hiding in bushes. Would that be an rear end in a top hat thing to do?

Yes

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Orange Sunshine posted:

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
If they're not on board and supporting that plan? completely