Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
How did he know you were on Jeopardy in the first place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
"I need a $1000 signing bonus because I'm still waiting for the check from my third-place finish on Jeopardy!"

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Anne Whateley posted:

How did he know you were on Jeopardy in the first place?

I put it on my resume.

I also brought my Jeopardy tote bag along with me to hold my stuff and paperwork (and my Jeopardy cap and newspaper), but that wasn't noticed until after the interview was over.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you can put that kind of thing on your resume?

...on second thought, maybe my episode of wipeout is best worth not mentioning.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

you can put that kind of thing on your resume?

...on second thought, maybe my episode of wipeout is best worth not mentioning.

I put it on my resume for sure (I put a 3-4 line interests and hobbies section above my references), and it has come up in every single interview I've had since, usually as topic #1.

People think you're smart if you've been on the show. It's my way of fooling them.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Like what's your exact wording? And do you have a multiple-page resume? For me I'm not sure it's worth kicking off a line or two of other things...

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
You can and should put cool stuff like that on your resume. It isn't just your skills that are being interviewed - you're being judged on fit, and giving yourself a fun conversation topic that you can gush about makes you a human instead of a data robot.

I interviewed a guy who put "Time Magazine Person Of The Year 2006" in his Awards section. He got an offer. He was extremely qualified, but it was a talking point that showcased the kind of person he was.

Like if a company is going to disqualify you for having fun then why would you want to work there anyway?

e: since this is vaguely offtopic I will also express how annoyed I am that Youtube TV isn't recording Jeopardy reruns for me.

Poque fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Oct 17, 2022

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Otoh, nobody wants to interview the rear end in a top hat who puts MENSA on there. I agree you gotta have a conversational hook or two, but I already have that. My concerns are A, whether it's more rear end in a top hat or interesting, and B, even if it is okay, is it more important than a line of relevant achievements.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Anne Whateley posted:

Otoh, nobody wants to interview the rear end in a top hat who puts MENSA on there. I agree you gotta have a conversational hook or two, but I already have that. My concerns are A, whether it's more rear end in a top hat or interesting, and B, even if it is okay, is it more important than a line of relevant achievements.

I think it's way more interesting and not comparable to a Mensa mention at all (even more so if it's tongue-in-cheek and includes a reference to coming in third). It shouldn't be included in place of an industry achievement, though, if you're really hurting for space.

You mentioned multi-page resumes before - it kind of depends on how your resume is laid out. I don't particularly care for multi-page resumes but it's impossible to avoid at this point (10+ years in the industry across multiple companies), so I have mine set up where the first page is the most relevant information and the second page is just kind of bonus: Contact info, detailed current employment, and skills on the first page, then prior employment and accolades on the second page. I don't think prior employment is as important as current and skills, so I don't mind if a recruiter gives a detailed look at my first page and skims the second. In this case, I would be comfortable deleting or shortening a line about one of my prior jobs to include a reference to Jeopardy in my achievements section.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Longmont Potion Castle finally got to Trebek. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzZUXHtTr6c

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I love when there's a prank call and the "victim" immediately susses it out, but the prank callers think it's a "gotcha!" anyway.

Also that video is nine years old.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
lol if you don't use the brony resume template

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Anne Whateley posted:

I stuck it at the top of my second page, right above References, in my Interests section. Just one line, enough for a hook of sorts if they're interested.

totally losing my mime
Aug 3, 2012

The quiet can scrape
All the calm from your bones.
But maybe it should.
Maybe we need to be hollowed
To get up and grow,
And stop fucking around,
To kick off our braces and start straightening out
Fun Shoe
The only solution for Trebek retiring

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

that would be a pretty boss way to end the show

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Anyone else catch Trebek in the opening episode of the new season of Orange?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Trebek retiring will be a big change, but I think if they find the right person for it, it can be fine. Look at when Bob Barker retired and Drew Carey took over the Price Is Right. It was a big change, but Drew is a good host in his own right. I think LeVar Burton could totally pull it off with Jeopardy! the same way.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Well I guess LeVar might have something on his plate now. Thanks a lot Patrick Stewart

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
LaVar Barton and Patrick Stewart should both host. While holding hands preferably. Just like in my fanfiction.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
The real replacement should be Kenan Thompson.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Tumblr of scotch posted:

The real replacement should be Kenan Thompson.

If it gets him off SNL, I'm all for this.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Cheesus posted:

Longmont Potion Castle finally got to Trebek. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzZUXHtTr6c

LPC 14 has multiple calls to Alex Trebek (my fav is probably the one where he conferences in Jeremy Piven to pitch them a show called, "What's Crackin?") +
LPC's brought Trebek up in multiple interviews
"He has employed the conceit with both Kiefer Sutherland and Alex Trebek. (Sutherland changed his phone number right away; Trebek still has the same digits and answers almost every time. In fact, LPC says, “I just talked to him earlier in the week. Sometimes when I’m talking to somebody I just add him to the call and see what happens. He enjoys explaining to people what’s going on.”
& on the Q&A track on his most recent album he calls him when someone asks. & so on...
Classic call but Insane 2 come into the Jeopardy thread of all places without preppin ur trivia appropriately
🙅🙅🙅🙅🙅

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

That sounds like a completely different person.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Timby posted:

If it gets him off SNL, I'm all for this.

Hot take you got there

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Croatoan posted:

Hot take you got there

People piss and moan--rightfully so--about how awful Jimmy Fallon was on SNL, and how terrible he is on Tonight Show, because of his inability to keep himself from corpsing and laughing at his own gags.

Kenan is just as bad.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
imagine thinking SNL has comedic integrity to preserve

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I have literally never managed to sit through more than five minutes of an episode of SNL.

It's literally TGS from 30 Rock.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I saw a comedian one night and Kenan was the warm-up act

he said the f-word and talked about smoking weed to show off how edgy he was and not just a nickelodeon actor

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
Had my in-person audition today. That was a lot of fun! I left feeling far more confident than I did going in, which I'm hoping is a good sign.

I found the in-person test easier than any of the online ones that I've taken. I optimistically feel like I got about 45/50. I know I'm in the 40s at the very least.

I also felt like I nailed the on-camera portion.

All the kind words people have said about Maggie rang true, she is very good at her job.

If you ever have a chance, don't skip it. Even if I don't make it on the show, it was a great experience.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Fun trivia fact, Kenan Thompson is the longest-tenured SNL cast member in the history of the show

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Hannibal Smith posted:

Had my in-person audition today. That was a lot of fun! I left feeling far more confident than I did going in, which I'm hoping is a good sign.

I found the in-person test easier than any of the online ones that I've taken. I optimistically feel like I got about 45/50. I know I'm in the 40s at the very least.

All the kind words people have said about Maggie rang true, she is very good at her job.

If you ever have a chance, don't skip it. Even if I don't make it on the show, it was a great experience.

Good luck in the contestant pool!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Vulture Culture posted:

Fun trivia fact, Kenan Thompson is the longest-tenured SNL cast member in the history of the show

He's also widely considered to be the leading candidate to take over the show when Lorne Michaels retires / carks it.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Hannibal Smith posted:

Good luck!! Glad you had fun! :) I didn't want to say anything before you did it but yeah the in-person test was way easier for me too.

Enjoy checking all your phone calls for the next few weeks to see if they come from a 310 area code, but honestly after that just put it out of your mind as best you can, and if you get the call, then you can be super excited.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Timby posted:

He's also widely considered to be the leading candidate to take over the show when Lorne Michaels retires / carks it.

And he's the first cast member to be born after the show's series premier. drat, we're two more Keenan facts from a Jeopardy category.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

And he's the first cast member to be born after the show's series premier. drat, we're two more Keenan facts from a Jeopardy category.

Him being an original cast member of" All That" on Nick, which was basically the teen friendly version of SNL, as the jump off to his career, might qualify.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I'm watching some old episodes and I happened to see the into (I often skip it because PVR) and one of the challengers listed their occupation as "balloon animal twister" and that's basically my favourite job I've ever heard on the intro.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
my favorite was the guy who introduced himself as "a self-proclaimed gadabout"

http://gawker.com/5325119/meet-john-munson-self-proclaimed-gadabout

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Ein cooler Typ posted:

my favorite was the guy who introduced himself as "a self-proclaimed gadabout"

http://gawker.com/5325119/meet-john-munson-self-proclaimed-gadabout

Hahahahah this guy sounds like the type that this thread would have had strong opinions about.

I automatically like a dude who drew his name into a dick.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I doubt anyone would admit to watching it but Austin Rogers was on TMZ Live yesterday as a guest host

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

HookShot posted:

Hahahahah this guy sounds like the type that this thread would have had strong opinions about.

I automatically like a dude who drew his name into a dick.

Those decade old Twitter takes in the gawker article seem like goon opinions. The ascot, whatever, but having a focal seizure trying to ring in gets old quick.