Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Those were some cheap rear end looking robots but I kind of liked that episode in a Dr Who sort of way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Sir Lemming posted:

The way I remember Voyager -- and it was a while ago, so I could feel differently if I watched it now -- was basically that the interesting parts of it got chipped away one by one until it just wasn't worth watching anymore. And even then, those aspects were only "season 1 of a Trek" interesting, not really interesting. It briefly became worthwhile again when 7 got added (plus I was a teenager, c'mon), but then that turned out to be their one trick.

I never see it brought up here, but I literally remember reading TV Guide articles and whatnot where the producers said they were debating whether they should bring Voyager back to the alpha Quadrant early because they weren't telling any stories that required the Delta setting.

That may have been before they doubled down on the Borg

Drink-Mix Man fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Aug 7, 2018

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
“Is it possible we have stumbled into some sort of ROBOTIC WAR?!”

I love the way Janeway says words.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Windows 98 posted:

I don't remember that line yet I can hear that clear as day in my head

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Those were some cheap rear end looking robots but I kind of liked that episode in a Dr Who sort of way

They were created to be recurring villains, but them looking so cheap (because they were constantly being redesigned during production) has been stated to be the reason they never came back.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Sir Lemming posted:

The way I remember Voyager -- and it was a while ago, so I could feel differently if I watched it now -- was basically that the interesting parts of it got chipped away one by one until it just wasn't worth watching anymore. And even then, those aspects were only "season 1 of a Trek" interesting, not really interesting. It briefly became worthwhile again when 7 got added (plus I was a teenager, c'mon), but then that turned out to be their one trick.

I made it into season 5 of Voyager before giving up and watching only sporadically after that, so that tracks pretty well with what you're saying. You could have seen as early as the pilot that they weren't getting home until the finale; and after a stretch of I think 3 or 4 episodes in a row where they lost a shuttle, it was clear no one was taking the premise seriously. I wasn't asking for grimdark or turning the whole show into Year of Hell. But it certainly felt, after DS9 and B5, like a regression. At its best it was copycatting TNG, which can be a great thing to do, but more and more it fell into cargo-culting TNG and it just failed to keep my interest.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

I remember there was an episode of TNG where Q teleports the ship to the edge of the universe or something, but excluding that is Voyager the furthest instance of a ship venturing into space from the federation? And just how far is the delta quadrant? I think I remember someone saying a higher end warp was 400 billion miles a second. Is it possible to use some math and use that to find out how far 75 years of travel is?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Voyager went 70,000 light years. The DS9 wormhole was about 60,000 light years. The TNG Enterprise went to another galaxy then to the edge of the universe when loving around with Warp experiments.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Aug 7, 2018

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Windows 98 posted:

I remember there was an episode of TNG where Q teleports the ship to the edge of the universe or something, but excluding that is Voyager the furthest instance of a ship venturing into space from the federation? And just how far is the delta quadrant? I think I remember someone saying a higher end warp was 400 billion miles a second. Is it possible to use some math and use that to find out how far 75 years of travel is?

TNG several times gets into hijinks that involve them meeting space deities beyond the known edge of the universe.

Distances in Trek are wildly inconsistent, and how they are handled doesn't make sense from show to show or even within the confines of some of the show plots. It's never explained how you can enforce a neutral zone when the galaxy is not a flat plane and people can go much faster than light. Try not to think about it, because Trek has never really been about the exact science of anything. It's a show where you can make food out of ambient atoms and teleport yourself to the surface of planets sight unseen. The writing can't even agree on whether money exists or not.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

I was merely just trying to visualize the universe of Trek in my head. Like a map in a LOTR book or something. Nothing to specific.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I watched TOS shows and movied in earnest after watching all the TNG era shows and them casually strolling out to the edge or center of the galaxy made me all :pwn:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Windows 98 posted:

I was merely just trying to visualize the universe of Trek in my head. Like a map in a LOTR book or something. Nothing to specific.

Try this

Although they have the 1701 exiting the galaxy to the side, whereas it'd make more sense to assume they went straight up out of the disc and didn't go that far.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Aug 7, 2018

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

I made it into season 5 of Voyager before giving up and watching only sporadically after that, so that tracks pretty well with what you're saying. You could have seen as early as the pilot that they weren't getting home until the finale; and after a stretch of I think 3 or 4 episodes in a row where they lost a shuttle, it was clear no one was taking the premise seriously. I wasn't asking for grimdark or turning the whole show into Year of Hell. But it certainly felt, after DS9 and B5, like a regression. At its best it was copycatting TNG, which can be a great thing to do, but more and more it fell into cargo-culting TNG and it just failed to keep my interest.

Voyager does try to do some kind of DS9/B5 esque serialized plotting. Early on there’s a couple of things like that, like the insubordinate Tom Paris thing that turned out to be all a ruse to rumble the Kazon traitor or whatever. Or the episode where Kes is time traveling and it foreshadows Year of Hell. It’s just that it pretty much loving sucked at it. By season 3 it’s clear they had very little idea what they were doing and they took steps to freshen the show up (booting Kes, planning to boot Harry, bringing the Borg and later Seven of Nine in) but it had the consequence of effectively writing off almost everything that the show had originally been about. This wasn’t much. But for example the always-underused theme of tension between the Starfleet and Maquis crews just totally vanished without a mention by mid show.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Windows 98 posted:

I'd kill for there to have been a scene where Janeway and Sisko have an episode-long argument, because both of them are just outstanding emoters in very loving different ways

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Windows 98 posted:

Basically when it comes to trying to calculate warp speeds, don't. There are too many inconsistencies so it's best to just assume that things are highly variable based on local conditions, proximity to gravity wells, subspace nonsense etc.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Honestly, I wouldn't mind if Janeway drops by on The Picard Show and shoots the poo poo with Jean-Luc at some point. Mulgrew was always good to watch even if badly written and it'd be nice to let her have a go under new writers.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Paris was turned into a merman for flying too fast :psyduck:

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Windows 98 posted:

Paris was turned into a merman for flying too fast :psyduck:

Oh man, please let us know when you finish “Threshold.”

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

I’m fairly certain Worf also adopted Janeway and Paris’s slug kids. Word has so many kids.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

:rip: Crewman Darwin. I bet he was killed by a subspace ghost or some poo poo and we are going to spend 35 minutes chasing nothing.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

I just noticed that Tuvok speaks exactly like Obama

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Apparently they're giving the Klingons their hair back for Disco season 2, which should help hide a lot of the more extreme changes.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

MikeJF posted:

Voyager went 70,000 light years. The DS9 wormhole was about 60,000 light years. The TNG Enterprise went to another galaxy then to the edge of the universe when loving around with Warp experiments.
I think they consider making for the other end of the Wormhole but it wasn't going to save them that much time and I think even at the time they weren't sure if the Dominion would be OK with them.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Apparently they're giving the Klingons their hair back for Disco season 2, which should help hide a lot of the more extreme changes.

Clearly the purpose of this show is to be a vehicle for as many Klingon makeup variants as possible. I

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
One of my favorite things about Voyager was when they would try to make the coming attraction promos all sexy, with provocative voice-overs (mostly after S4 of course):

See 7 of Nine... OUT OF UNIFORM *Seven wears some leggings and a tank top while playing space-tennis*

Janeway makes... THE ULTIMATE SACRIFICE (implied sex) *Janeway, clad in nightgown, distracts a security guard*

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I wonder if in the Picard show they'll some how give us the Enterprise D. I need that ship in HD and widescreen. I'll take the 3 nacelles version. Come on, do it! I'm right here!

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I'm going to be happy about this until the first shots from s2 klingons come out and they all have Neelix hair.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I'm gonna need a 2 parter with in-universe explanations for every Klingon makeup change.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
let klingons have mullets 2020

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

With Voyager / Endgame, I just remember thinking it was such a hilarious cop-out that the big reveal was that the reason the Borg could get anywhere so quickly wasn't because they had transwarp drive, but they had a super-secret network of Space Tunnels.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Windows 98 posted:

I just noticed that Tuvok speaks exactly like Obama

Obama's a big enough nerd that I bet it's the other way around.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Alan_Shore posted:

I wonder if in the Picard show they'll some how give us the Enterprise D. I need that ship in HD and widescreen. I'll take the 3 nacelles version. Come on, do it! I'm right here!

I want to see the big interiors.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

YOU!!! THE ONE WHO LIKES TNG CANON! EXPERIENCE BIJJJJJJJJJJJJ

So looking over at some of the glimpses of the future we've seen in Star Trek, and what little we know of the new Picard series, I've dredged up some of what we can be expecting to be (disappointed in not) seeing in the new show:

The show takes place "20 years after Nemesis". Nemesis was the furthest point we've seen on screen in "contemporary" Original Timeline Star Trek, before you get into the Enterprise J era and the 29th Century Time Cops.

Nemesis takes place in 2379. Therefore the Untitled Star Trek Series Starring Patrick Stewart As Jean-Luc Picard takes place in roughly 2399. This is:

-35 years after "Encounter At Farpoint" and Picard taking over the Enterprise D
-29 years after "All Good Things"
-28 years after the Enterprise D is D-stroyed and Captain James Tiberius Kirk is finally, truly killed (or IS he? :getin: )
-21 years after Voyager "Endgame"
-12 years after Romulus is destroyed by the Hobus Supernova and Ambassador Spock and Nero go back to 2258 and create a new timeline
-4 years after the alternate future timeline events of "All Good Things"
-5 years before the alternate future of Voyager "Endgame"

What will Picard be doing?
Artist's Depiction of Jean Luc Picard in 2399

Picard could still be in Starfleet, as seen in a fake 2383 where he was an admiral:

More likely, Picard could be an Ambassador as seen in the supposedly canon (well more canon than ST:O anyway) Star Trek Countdown--retired Ambassador Picard in 2387:

Or he could spend the entire show in a Space Nursing Home out of his skull due to Irumodic Syndrome

"I don't want to take my meds! And that drat Andorian keeps changing the tv channel!"

What is everyone else doing?
-Riker-was Captain of the Titan until at least 10 years or so before
-He could even be an admiral, but probably not of a badass 3 nacelled Enterprise D:

(Well that's pretty close I guess :shrug: )

-Speaking of before, B-4 gets his retard mind wiped and replaced with the Superior Data, who becomes Captain of the Enterprise E and still is as of at least 2387

-but by 2399 he may be a wacky zany college professor:

-Crusher may or may not be the captain of the USS Pasteur:

-Worf may be an ambassador or King of the Klingots or something:

-Geordi could be a retired guy, rocking the coolest Future Suit since ST:III Sulu:

-Or still in Starfleet, as a captain as he may have been in at least one timeline as of 2390

-Or :stare:

-Counselor Mrs. Riker will be doing ???

-Or she'll be dead

-Wesley Crusher will be hot and sexay

(Well that's pretty close I guess :shrug: )

What will the technology look like? Well every single depiction of this era shows LCARS style graphics and similar uniforms, as well as ships that aren't too different:

(Pink and Green is the New Orange and Black)

Of course, this could all be wiped out by the fact that most of this is alternate timelines, so I"m sure the producers will use that excuse to "update" the computers, ships and uniforms for "modern sensibilities" and make them look like DISCO instead of Bermanga Trek. So say bye to your LCARS, nerds!

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

I don't mind if they ditch the touch screens in favor of something more advanced as long as the design lays homage to the Okuda look

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I will say that, as much as I adore "All Good Things..." I really hate the future timeline uniforms. Holy loving ugh.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I don't mind if they ditch the touch screens in favor of something more advanced as long as the design lays homage to the Okuda look

The issue with holograms is that there's always a background console visible.

I do hope they show the "viewscreens were always 3D" more visibly now but I suspect that's a piece of trivia too obscure for them to know.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Aug 7, 2018

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Fleet Admiral Picard but he’s evil now because almost all Admirals are evil and murderous.

He shoots Riker with a Colt 1911 in the knee.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
That's all well and good, but if they ignore all of it because it's the future and handwave away those other glimpses as alternate timelines, so that they can do whatever they want, I'm fine with that.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Man it looked so much better once they filled in all all the jaggies and the random glowy bits and greebles and smoothed off the pointy edges, compare to original:

(even though they didn't do a very good job covering up the that they just plastered over the nose gap)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Aug 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Minidust posted:

One of my favorite things about Voyager was when they would try to make the coming attraction promos all sexy, with provocative voice-overs (mostly after S4 of course):

See 7 of Nine... OUT OF UNIFORM *Seven wears some leggings and a tank top while playing space-tennis*

Janeway makes... THE ULTIMATE SACRIFICE (implied sex) *Janeway, clad in nightgown, distracts a security guard*

These promos are gold. The best/worst one was that episode where Seven makes up a rape accusation to destroy some innocent man's life, and it's made to sound like something you'd have to go the back room to rent.