Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

‘Sup, not-allowed-to-watch-Beavis-and-Butthead-while-growing-up homies? :smith::hf::smith:

This is where it helped to have a friend with divorced absentee parents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

not a cult posted:

this happens with any show that's not childishly black and white, there are people who root for tony loving soprano

With Tony Soprano it's pretty contextual because everyone on the show is pretty awful so character like Bobby who are still murderers are among the more likable characters on the show. It's a show and forming an attachment to the main character is what happens when everything works the way it's supposed to. It doesn't mean that you condone the actions of that character in real life.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

IRQ posted:

This is where it helped to have a friend with divorced absentee parents.

Beavis and Butthead AND two Christmases? Lucky dogs.

Cary Fukunaga's new Netflix miniseries, starring Emma Stone, Jonah Hill, Justin Theroux and Sally Field
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6cDDmk-O5A

Looks dooooope. Gives me a very Eternal Sunshine vibe

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Aug 6, 2018

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Yep, maniac looks amazing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You can kind of see some hints of it in the trailer but it's allegedly a comedy

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I need something to watch that's somewhat light that I can binge and not care when I fall asleep halfway through if I've got it on at night. Netflix wants to recommend Supernatural to me, I watched the first episode last night and it was fine I guess. Is it halfway decent? Seems to have a million episodes, and I've heard it has obsessive fans, but know nothing else about it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Supernatural owns BUT it's 22 episode seasons so there's a lot of filler. Some of the MOTW stuff is good, some isn't, but the strength of the show are the two leads and their good chemistry and performances.

I've said this before but imo the perfect watch-to-fall-asleep content out there is MST3K/Rifftrax because you don't have to pay an ounce of attention. Netflix has 22 episodes and Hulu has more, and Prime has about 40 Rifftrax movies with the riff track already integrated.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Sirotan posted:

I need something to watch that's somewhat light that I can binge and not care when I fall asleep halfway through if I've got it on at night. Netflix wants to recommend Supernatural to me, I watched the first episode last night and it was fine I guess. Is it halfway decent? Seems to have a million episodes, and I've heard it has obsessive fans, but know nothing else about it.

Supernatural was initially planned for 5 seasons, so the first 5 seasons are really tight and good. Stop watching at the end of season 5.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Noted, Iron Crowned. thx

zoux posted:

I've said this before but imo the perfect watch-to-fall-asleep content out there is MST3K/Rifftrax because you don't have to pay an ounce of attention. Netflix has 22 episodes and Hulu has more, and Prime has about 40 Rifftrax movies with the riff track already integrated.

Good tip, for me Law & Order is kind of the perfect show for this but I've seen every L&O episode approx 35409 times so I really need something new.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I like watching Doc Martin. Really low stakes with lots of beautiful scenery every episode. Sometimes it's so slow that it puts you to sleep.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Pluto.tv has a dedicated Rifftrax AND mst3k channel, so it's really easy just to tune in without making choices.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Sirotan posted:

Brooklyn Nine Nine?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Mu Zeta posted:

I like watching Doc Martin. Really low stakes with lots of beautiful scenery every episode. Sometimes it's so slow that it puts you to sleep.

It's incredibly formulaic, but everyone is such a joy to watch.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

bull3964 posted:

Pluto.tv has a dedicated Rifftrax AND mst3k channel, so it's really easy just to tune in without making choices.

This is the best suggestion. Free too.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Parks and Rec, 30 Rock, American Dad, Futurama, Family Guy, Community, Brooklyn 99 are all shows we bounce between and let play in the background as we do chores and/or sleep.

e: King of the Hill too but that's because I got impatient waiting for it to come back to Netflix like 3 years ago and just bought the whole series digitally on amazon and still have access to it even though you can't buy it anymore.

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe
Maniac is based on a Norwegian show with the same name. The American version seems to be a bit more... american

Here's a trailer for the original, with subtitles. The tone is pretty different
https://youtu.be/yaBzdr1eBI8

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
30 Rock is the king of background binging and when you pay attention you will find a joke that will slay you

OUR BASKETBALL HOOP WAS A RIBCAGE

Shame it's not on Netflix anymore

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
30 Rock was and is a drat treasure and I miss it dearly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzxrq2FYhiE

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Seeeecret plaannnnnnn revenge on my minddddd

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Escobarbarian posted:

Watch Succession, everybody.

esperterra posted:

So. Sharp Objects. It's real good.

I can't decide which one to watch first!!!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Sharp Objects is a miniseries, and nearly over, so I'd say wait tbh and binge it when it's done!

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

esperterra posted:

Sharp Objects is a miniseries, and nearly over, so I'd say wait tbh and binge it when it's done!

On another note, it's super dpressing, don't binge it without a blanky and a stiff drink

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

precision posted:

all y'all that slept on Pose need to binge that poo poo now that the season is wrapped and they've ordered a season 2. It gets better and better as it goes along and the finale knocked it clean out the park

Agreed completely. Easily my fav new show of the year, so glad it got renewed

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Calaveron posted:

30 Rock is the king of background binging and when you pay attention you will find a joke that will slay you

OUR BASKETBALL HOOP WAS A RIBCAGE

Shame it's not on Netflix anymore

Hulu got it when it went off Netflix and I’m pretty sure it’s still there.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
The 2nd live episode, particularly the skit between Jon Hamm and Tracey Morgan is comedy gold and only the second acceptable use of blackface ever.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Just finished watching season 2 of Luke Cage. It was pretty good all the way through but boy did they fumble on that ending.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

raditts posted:

Just finished watching season 2 of Luke Cage. It was pretty good all the way through but boy did they fumble on that ending.

Yeah, it was kind of weird to have him go from moral compass to ok I will be a bad guy but just so I can minimize the badness. Its like Captain America being like "fine, I will run the Black Ops for the US, but only so I can keep the kill count low".

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

swickles posted:

Yeah, it was kind of weird to have him go from moral compass to ok I will be a bad guy but just so I can minimize the badness. Its like Captain America being like "fine, I will run the Black Ops for the US, but only so I can keep the kill count low".

It was like they got all the way to the 13th episode and realized "oh poo poo, we have to make an ending to this thing"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

raditts posted:

It was pretty good all the way through but boy did they fumble on that ending.

This sentence could apply to like, almost literally every single season of every Netflix Marvel show that I've watched haha

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Homeland is finally ending at Season 8 which I say is 7 seasons too long. I still contend it could have been an all-time show if it just ended at the 1st season.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I liked the last few seasons. The ones in Germany, pakistan, and usa were good or at least built up to something interesting.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

So I saw that the Chris Gethard Show got cancelled, and it was something I had been meaning to watch. I am like ten minutes into the episode with Paul Sheer and Jason Mantzoukas amd holy poo poo if the rest of it is half as good as this I need to watch this immediately.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

swickles posted:

So I saw that the Chris Gethard Show got cancelled, and it was something I had been meaning to watch. I am like ten minutes into the episode with Paul Sheer and Jason Mantzoukas amd holy poo poo if the rest of it is half as good as this I need to watch this immediately.

Almost every episode of The Chris Gethard Show owns and I will die on this hill.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

I can't decide which one to watch first!!!

Succession just finished its first season, whereas as esperterra mentioned Sharp Objects is still ongoing. I do prefer Sharp Objects tbh, but they’re both superb shows.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Ending of Luke Cage season 2 was fine, if grim. He basically realizes he has to turn Harlem into a mashup of Switzerland and Hamsterdam to keep a lid on things. It's all going to blow up in his face, of course.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Golden Girls is great falling-asleep comfort food.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Harlock posted:

Homeland is finally ending at Season 8 which I say is 7 seasons too long. I still contend it could have been an all-time show if it just ended at the 1st season.

Old news, and very wrong because seasons 4, 5, 6, 7 are all very good to excellent.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Laterite posted:

Golden Girls is great falling-asleep comfort food.

I don't have a TV in my bedroom yet (since I only got divorced a few months ago, and I'm still putting my apartment together; I need to find something to use as a cheap Netflix box that will work with an unused computer monitor), but I've found that really, really talky podcasts will just zonk me right the gently caress out: Stuff You Should Know, America's Test Kitchen, etc.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Sharp Objects is great but tbh one episode a week is almost overwhelming for me so I feel like binging it will just leave you feeling dreadful. Terrific show, though! Just very raw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Sirotan posted:

Letterkenny

edit: It's basically this for 5 seasons:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI2GVcjXXI8

Slamhound fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Aug 7, 2018