Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Also I have about 300 Riddler trophies, only 140 or so to go :smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

codenameFANGIO posted:

at least Bioshock is based on the mildly cool part where the rich elites live in a secret superscience hideaway instead of the beginning part where the lazy ignorant masses ruin society

the big difference is that in bioshock, the dystopia is caused by john galt. the way people are talking about this other game make it seem like he's the main character

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think the concept actually has the potential to be cool. It's very possible it will be handled poorly though due to the topic of discussion and some of the info that was given in the interview posted earlier.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

veni veni veni posted:

I think the concept actually has the potential to be cool. It's very possible it will be handled poorly though due to the topic of discussion and some of the info that was given in the interview posted earlier.
Yeah, if he goes all the way with this idea understanding that many players will fundamentally disagree with his view of the future (from the interview it sounds like he doesn’t) then I’ll consider that a point in the game’s favor.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
I'm playing Madden to see my newly drafted bois and NMS. Both feel like time killers than actual interesting entertainment. Not sure what to look forward this month, maybe I'll dive back into Dead Cells for the 1.0 patch.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
gently caress I had a rainy day off work and did nothing but play Persona 5 and it's so good. Finished the second dungeon and I'm completely back on my persona bullshit

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

codenameFANGIO posted:

Also I have about 300 Riddler trophies, only 140 or so to go :smithicide:

Arkham Knight?
Locking the "true ending" behind that final riddler trophy was an aggressively stupid move.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

True endings hidden behind a wall of grinding are pointless and stupid in a world where youtube exists.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

HGH posted:

I don't know when exactly he shows up, but my advice is to beeline for Komaki's training and get the Tiger Drop to more or less break the game's difficulty. It takes a bit of work but it saves soooo much time against some of the more poorly designed fights (ie: guns), or if you just don't feel like fighting Majima proper.

Unless I'm remembering wrong, to get it you have to grind out the arena for most of its awards and if you can do that chances are just getting through the game normally is actually way less effort. Definitely not something you'd be able to get super early.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Arkham Knight?
Locking the "true ending" behind that final riddler trophy was an aggressively stupid move.

Return To Arkham City, actually. When I started redoing the series I told myself I would begin a fresh playthrough of Knight after City and finally get everything but it is looking increasingly like I will continue my old save because GOD drat.

exquisite tea posted:

True endings hidden behind a wall of grinding are pointless and stupid in a world where youtube exists.

I won’t feel right unless I earn it.

:negative:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I had no idea this was a thing.

https://twitter.com/minoru79/status/913910171885174784

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You could post pretty much any exchange in 0 and it'll get a laugh out of me. I love its style of humour so so much.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Penguin Patrol posted:

Why are they riding a convertible instead of chocobos?

you want the chocobos to die in an automobile accident? you're sick, you monster

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

You could post pretty much any exchange in 0 and it'll get a laugh out of me. I love its style of humour so so much.

Up to the start of chapter 5 where I’m at now it might be the funniest game I’ve ever played.

On that note I’m booting it up soon hell yeah! The very start of 5 has been a little dull (still funny and tbh I was a bit sleepy when starting it) but I think that’s the point. I’m sure things will ramp up soon.

The, uh, extremely horny dancing guys slay me. Every time it’s the funniest god drat thing.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Aug 7, 2018

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Is... is that loss?!

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

codenameFANGIO posted:

Return To Arkham City, actually. When I started redoing the series I told myself I would begin a fresh playthrough of Knight after City and finally get everything but it is looking increasingly like I will continue my old save because GOD drat.

I won’t feel right unless I earn it.

:negative:

Imagine my surprise when replaying the whole arkham series and realizing that Knight had significantly less riddler stuff than City.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

SiKboy posted:

Akuma is misremembering; in the final chapter when you go to see the guy to start the last story missions the game makes it clear that this is the point of no return, and to finish up anything you want to do. You can switch between Kiryu and Majima via the phones in their offices at that point.
Yeah this is what I meant by saying end/postgame and not just postgame! But I definitely could’ve been more explicit, yeah. My bad. My point was really that it’s not until right at the end.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

TremorX posted:

Is... is that loss?!

More like income :smuggo:

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've never played the Yakuza series but it's a big reason why I went with the PS4 over the Xbone. Which one should I cut my teeth on?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Blast of Confetti posted:

I've never played the Yakuza series but it's a big reason why I went with the PS4 over the Xbone. Which one should I cut my teeth on?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Hahahahaha holy poo poo this game. This is an item spoiler, not really a big story spoiler FYI but I’m still spoiling it just in case. I just met the squatter and then was confronted by the three Yakuza guys outside the building. A long talk happens and then when throw down. I remembered I had a weapon equipped and recently learned you can use those by pressing down. So at the start of the fight Kiryu busts out a loving GIGANTIC DEAD MARLIN, gives the three guys a slash with the spear tip and then USES IT TO SHOOT A MARLIN ROCKET AT THEM, BEATING THEM IN ONE EXPLOSION. I can’t loving handle this game oh my god. Why is that even a thing? How do you even top that?

Yakuza 0. There’s like 3-4 people playing it at the moment. Join us!

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Aug 7, 2018

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kilometers Davis posted:

Yakuza 0. There’s like 3-4 people playing it at the moment. Join us!

I don't have the cash for it this month. Was just wondering since it was going to be my next game purchase

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

Ryoga posted:

Imagine my surprise when replaying the whole arkham series and realizing that Knight had significantly less riddler stuff than City.

Oh holy poo poo good

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Kilometers Davis posted:

I remembered I had a weapon equipped and recently learned you can use those by pressing down.

As you're just playing through you might be able to answer this; Does the game ever actually tell you that? Because when I played I was a good way in before someone in this thread mentioned you can use the weapons you equip (up until then I assumed they were a passive bonus like the various bindings and shirts and whatnot) and its become one of my go-to pieces of advice for new players. But I've never been sure if I missed a tutorial message in the early game when I was still trying to get a handle on the controls and stuff that I forgot by the time I actually got a weapon or if it just expects you to know/work it out.

There has pretty much never been a better time to get far too into the Yakuza series. As everyone else has been saying, Yakuza Zero is the best starting place.

Akuma posted:

Yeah this is what I meant by saying end/postgame and not just postgame! But I definitely could’ve been more explicit, yeah. My bad. My point was really that it’s not until right at the end.

Ah, I took "end/postgame" to mean two terms for the same thing. It is right at the end, but still before the story finishes which was their main concern.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I was wondering how the Yakuza Remasters were coming along and 3 literally comes out this Thursday in Japan lmao

https://twitter.com/Siliconera/status/1026754091823783936

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

TremorX posted:

Is... is that loss?!

nah that's the start of yakuza 1

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

beep by grandpa posted:

Lol I used to post in the Undertale thread and made a few posts about how much I liked the Genocide route and thought it was cool that such a positive, upbeat game could swing so hard in the opposite direction and yet be true to the game's philosophy and even improves its world-building.

People got *super* mad at me for saying that and called me an edgelord and started posting creepy fan art "at" me. Yeah then I stopped posting in that thread after that lmao

Doesn't tarnish my enjoyment of that thing at all, just gave me big huge red flags on what fandoms I'm not welcome in and do not wish to be a part of. Game still rules, awesome soundtrack, awesome world, etc.

Yeah, uh, I stayed out of that thread because it was super creepy. Goons fetishized the poo poo out of the characters in that game and anyone who dared to say they killed anything in the game got raged at.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Note the sequence of events here:

Kiryu makes huge amounts of cash in real estate

Kiryu is so successful he commissions a ¥10 billion statue to celebrate his success.

A few years pass with him back in the family and of course as such a successful real estate magnate and legendary asskicker he's granted permission to start his own family in 1995.

Kiryu goes to jail for ten years. Clearly his vast real estate empire is seized since it was vaguely connected to his criminal activity.

2005 Kiryu gets out broke and eventually learns a corrupt politician and his ex-almost girlfriend invested ¥10 billion into the Yakuza which was then stolen back by her from the Yakuza.

:tinfoil:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Samuringa posted:

I was wondering how the Yakuza Remasters were coming along and 3 literally comes out this Thursday in Japan lmao

https://twitter.com/Siliconera/status/1026754091823783936
I'm gonna buy that and replay it like a motherfucker.

edit: except I'm in the middle of replaying Higurashi of all things.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I know right? Same here!

Marina does have a point though. That statue is extremely early PS3 graphics.

Also something totally unrelated that I was thinking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1PCtIaM_GQ

It's real tough to do in the real world, comparatively but there's nothing stopping developers from making a Jackie Chan style beat em up game.

SiKboy posted:

As you're just playing through you might be able to answer this; Does the game ever actually tell you that? Because when I played I was a good way in before someone in this thread mentioned you can use the weapons you equip (up until then I assumed they were a passive bonus like the various bindings and shirts and whatnot) and its become one of my go-to pieces of advice for new players. But I've never been sure if I missed a tutorial message in the early game when I was still trying to get a handle on the controls and stuff that I forgot by the time I actually got a weapon or if it just expects you to know/work it out.

Honestly, I don't think so? There might be like an instruction guide somewhere in the game but I watched a Let's Play of the game because it came out like half a year before I even got ahold of a PS4 for myself and I wasn't planning on buying one it just happened to work out pretty well when the opportunity arrived. Anyway, I just wanted to say that once I got Rush style and saw that weird other option on down I just pressed it to see what it did and then I pulled a stun gun or something out. I still had to look up how to shoot a gun in the game though.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Aug 7, 2018

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Neo Rasa posted:

Note the sequence of events here:

Kiryu makes huge amounts of cash in real estate

Kiryu is so successful he commissions a ¥10 billion statue to celebrate his success.

Let's remember that the entire plot of Yakuza 0 revolves around acquiring a couple of billion yens or so.

And also a man murdered with a pistol.

Both things you'll easily do before halfway through the main story.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

RareAcumen posted:

Honestly, I don't think so? There might be like an instruction guide somewhere in the game but I watched a Let's Play of the game because it came out like half a year before I even got ahold of a PS4 for myself and I wasn't planning on buying one it just happened to work out pretty well when the opportunity arrived. Anyway, I just wanted to say that once I got Rush style and saw that weird other option on down I just pressed it to see what it did and then I pulled a stun gun or something out. I still had to look up how to shoot a gun in the game though.

I'm pretty sure I tried pressing "down" early in the game after the multiple styles thing was explained, but as I didnt have a weapon equipped, nothing happened. So for the next third of the game or so I just assumed that pressing down would select dragon style if/when I unlocked it. I've always wondered if I missed a tutorial.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It definitely doesn’t tell you about pressing down to use a weapon. I figured it out myself while wanting to use the same item KD is freaking out about in the spoilers (my reaction was exactly the same fwiw).

Thanks for all the info re: my last question! Might try and do as much story stuff as I can over the next few days.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I just got to the real estate management and man, it’s going to get really addicting isn’t it? It is difficult to stay up on everything?

SiKboy posted:

Nope I don’t think so. I read all the tutorial stuff I can to make sure I don’t miss anything and I don’t think it explained that at all. Oh well.

I did find it super useful to pop into the abilities upgrade menu and hit triangle to read through the guide though. It’s a great refresher when you feel confused about how to use the various styles well.

Escobarbarian posted:

It definitely doesn’t tell you about pressing down to use a weapon. I figured it out myself while wanting to use the same item KD is freaking out about in the spoilers (my reaction was exactly the same fwiw).

Thanks for all the info re: my last question! Might try and do as much story stuff as I can over the next few days.

It was the most incredible thing :lol:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Wolfsheim posted:

Oh man, word of warning to VG and the other guy, the trial is far and away the hardest part of TNC and probably the part that makes most people switch to baby difficulty. But if you get through it, the rest of the game is balanced pretty reasonably. Also, of the three powers you can pick afterwards, the stealth one is completely OP compared to the other two.

They toned this part down in a patch soon after release. It's still hard, but not nearly as "gently caress this" hard as it was.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Wolfsheim posted:

Oh man, word of warning to VG and the other guy, the trial is far and away the hardest part of TNC and probably the part that makes most people switch to baby difficulty. But if you get through it, the rest of the game is balanced pretty reasonably. Also, of the three powers you can pick afterwards, the stealth one is completely OP compared to the other two.

Doesn't matter what you pick; You can find the other two abilities exploring previous levels while you hunt Ubercommanders.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Samuringa posted:

Let's remember that the entire plot of Yakuza 0 revolves around acquiring a couple of billion yens or so.

And also a man murdered with a pistol.

Both things you'll easily do before halfway through the main story.

Uh as pointed out in Yakuza 6 Kiryu has NEVER killed ANYONE and if he did his reputation in Japan's underworld and across all of Tokyo would be shot. :laffo:

...! posted:

Yeah, uh, I stayed out of that thread because it was super creepy. Goons fetishized the poo poo out of the characters in that game and anyone who dared to say they killed anything in the game got raged at.

This is pretty hosed up considering how much the game is about the consequences of wanting to kill people and how well done each route is. Like if you don't want to play that route whatever but that level of anger about it is a top tier goon level missing the forest for the trees.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

The last 5min of the genocide route is perhaps the most creepy and chilling thing I have ever seen in a video game and I remember a chill going down my spine, getting goosebumps and I couldn’t look away until it ended. loving rules. What a great memory and lasting, effective impression. Def worth it if you have a fascination with difficulty and going in reeeeal deep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Also Neo Rasa thanks for spoiling the entire plot of yakuza kiwami for me, I was quite enjoying watching the drama unfold but I guess it wasn’t important I guess