Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Activating but especially leaving split screen mode seems more cumbersome with gesture navigation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

Incessant Excess posted:

Activating but especially leaving split screen mode seems more cumbersome with gesture navigation.

Activating takes a few more taps, but leaving is the same, just drag the divider all the way up or down depending on which app you want fullscreen.

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
My Pixel 2 definitely feels snappier with the update. Wasn't feeling the swipe so I'm keeping my normal navbar for now (I like being able to quick switch between last used app with the square soft button thingy). It doesn't seem to really be all that useful. I also prefer the vertical app scroll to the horizontal. Is there a way to close all apps at once or do you have to manually do them all? Nice having the battery percentage on the lock screen. The clock in the top left is weird though.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I used to leave it by long pressing recents again, which I preferred.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

kitten smoothie posted:

Just accept the update to the final version when it's offered to you (or go to the system settings and check for updates to get it sooner). It'll apply the diffs to make your system partition be just like if you went from 8.1 -> 9 and skipped the betas. You can factory reset after that if you really want to erase your userdata and start over.

If you absolutely don't want to wait any longer, then follow the directions to download an apply an OTA image, but fair warning is that requires a computer with the Android developer tools installed, and it's a 1.1GB download. If you take the incremental update on your phone when it's offered to you, the update from DP5 to the final version is like 45MB.

You only need the platform tools, which Google finally split out here: https://developer.android.com/studio/releases/platform-tools

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

hmmxkrazee posted:

Is there a way to close all apps at once or do you have to manually do them all? Nice having the battery percentage on the lock screen. The clock in the top left is weird though.

The Clear all function is at the extreme left of all your apps.

I like the weather being on the Always On Display now, nice wee subtle bit of colour if it's sunny or raining.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Wow, I can't really believe just how quickly my P2XL updated to 9.0. I plugged it in, forgot about it for a couple minutes, and it was done. I really haven't had any time to mess around with it (this is my first taste of...uhhh...pie), but it seems pretty snappy.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
Any speculation on whether google is going to do the trade in program again for the pix3?

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Mental Hospitality posted:

Wow, I can't really believe just how quickly my P2XL updated to 9.0. I plugged it in, forgot about it for a couple minutes, and it was done. I really haven't had any time to mess around with it (this is my first taste of...uhhh...pie), but it seems pretty snappy.

i'm 33 minutes in and only halfway done with step 2 (installation)

e: the back button is always on-screen with nova launcher :shepface:

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Aug 7, 2018

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

AT LEAST YOU GOT THE UPDATE. Still nothing for me. I thought gf had gotten it on her essential but nada, I know when oreo came out for that Telus/Koodo was a little while pushing the update out, I guess thats whats going on again now. May just end up flashing the google image, theres no bloatware on our phones but I guess there is some little quirk thats slowing poo poo down for us.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

codo27 posted:

AT LEAST YOU GOT THE UPDATE. Still nothing for me. I thought gf had gotten it on her essential but nada, I know when oreo came out for that Telus/Koodo was a little while pushing the update out, I guess thats whats going on again now. May just end up flashing the google image, theres no bloatware on our phones but I guess there is some little quirk thats slowing poo poo down for us.

:same:
Sitting here mashing Check for Update occasionally

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I didn't get it either. Enrolled in the beta just to see if that would force it and still nothing. Also verified my Play Services are up to date and still nothing.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

isndl posted:

Generally speaking, the center of the notifications bar is dead space. Either you tidy your notifications regularly so it's always blank, or you habitually ignore notifications so you don't care what's there. The notch allows that dead zone to be reclaimed for hardware necessities while still maintaining the core functionality of the notifications bar. Plus Apple already did it so it's low risk.

It takes some getting used to after years of the traditional style but for me seems fine overall, it increases the 'usable' area of the display so you can see more text at once while your browser has the nav bar out etc. I can see it being especially good for smaller devices where the camera/light sensor physically can't get smaller but you still want to squeeze more display space.

Or! They could have just left it the way it was rather than make a bunch of compromises in the name of faux advancement. See also: headphone jack.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

LastInLine posted:

I didn't get it either. Enrolled in the beta just to see if that would force it and still nothing. Also verified my Play Services are up to date and still nothing.

It's probably because you're last in line :imunfunny:

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Pie sucks. The clock on the left is stupid, the Holo-looking quick toggles are stupid, not being able to see everything in the task switcher is stupid and the big "LTE" in the notification bar is ugly as hell. This is the first update I can remember being unhappy with.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

As always, there's an invisible roll-out that you can't force no matter which way you check for updates. It's not a bug, Google have decided your phone isn't getting it yet.
You'll need to do the manual procedure if you're desperate for it.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

May we band together, update-shunned brethren in hopes of better days ahead.

So why does everyone attribute the notch to apple when the essential came out 2 months before? I guess it has something to do with all of 5 people off these forums ever having heard of it. I mean its a pretty safe bet that apple didn't invent whatever it is they get credit for.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

codo27 posted:

So why does everyone attribute the notch to apple when the essential came out 2 months before? I guess it has something to do with all of 5 people off these forums ever having heard of it. I mean its a pretty safe bet that apple didn't invent whatever it is they get credit for.

Several billion dollars of advertising

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Well there's at least one cool thing.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

butt dickus posted:

Pie sucks. The clock on the left is stupid, the Holo-looking quick toggles are stupid, not being able to see everything in the task switcher is stupid and the big "LTE" in the notification bar is ugly as hell. This is the first update I can remember being unhappy with.

Most of those are to me, someone whose phones doesn't have a notch, kinda pointless or minor nuisances. The new app switcher tho, that's something I'm no fan of either. I feel like the old switcher allowed me to "find" the app I wanted to switch to much more easily as the way it was sorted, you could see a few apps back, do a quick swipe to your target app and then tap it to switch to it. With the new recents menu, I find myself having to swipe through the list much more slowly as I don't have a sense where the app I'm looking for is and don't wanna swipe past it. I feel like the most likely reason for the change must be in the gesture navigation, as it would have been counterintuitive to have to swipe up to open recents and then immediately swipe down to scroll through your app list. Now they changed it to having to swipe up to go into recents and then having to swipe left to go through your list. I guess I'll get more used to it as I spend time with it but it's definitely not making a great first impression.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Khablam posted:

As always, there's an invisible roll-out that you can't force no matter which way you check for updates. It's not a bug, Google have decided your phone isn't getting it yet.

That actually changed. It's supposed to be that now if you manually check for an update you get pushed the update. That was fixed with the Play Services update referenced in this post and it's worked for every security update since then for me but I guess I really am last in line this time.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

My G5+ got an update! To the June security patch

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Bandire posted:

Or! They could have just left it the way it was rather than make a bunch of compromises in the name of faux advancement. See also: headphone jack.

Man, they could have kept the hardware buttons too instead of this software poo poo!

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

codo27 posted:

Because like many things (touchscreen, smartphone, etc), Apple doesn't invent it, but they popularize it. That popularity makes other OEMs copy it.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

P downloaded and installed this morning. Let's see how it goes.

I've grown to accept poo poo battery life on my OG PixelXL because I have multiple user profiles and Knex/O365 for my work stuff, so I won't really be able to test that bit.

So far, in the 45 minutes or so I've had it, everything seems ok, though.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

docbeard posted:

My G5+ got an update! To the June security patch

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Incessant Excess posted:

The new app switcher tho, that's something I'm no fan of either. I feel like the old switcher allowed me to "find" the app I wanted to switch to much more easily as the way it was sorted, you could see a few apps back, do a quick swipe to your target app and then tap it to switch to it.

I'm starting to get used to it Yea, you do switch a little slower. I like the full-screen preview of what was in the app so I can just quick refer to something and switch back to another app- like a phone number or something.

To alleviate your concern, maybe if they had an list of app icons near the bottom of the screen/on scroll bar that move to show which one is selected and which are to the right or left would be a neat addition.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Did the screen brightness slider change with P? The 40-50% I usually have my screen set on my P2XL seems way too dark now. I have to put it at 75% to comfortably see the display indoors.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Yea, it seems darker.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Brightness is supposed to be more adaptive now, so it's possible the scale has changed to make that easier.

I don't know that the phone at peak brightness is dimmer, it's possible they are using some sort of logarithmic scale on the slider to give more fine grained adjustment on the lower end.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Did they remove the ability to hide certain icons in the status bar? I had stuff like the alarm icon and "do not disturb" hidden before.

e; Still there, just not accessible unless you use ADB or Nova Launcher to get to it. :shuckyes::google:

Still not really liking leftclock. :(

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Aug 7, 2018

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Red Warrior posted:

Yeah just clicked 'check for update' and got the OTA on my original Pixel. Wasn't in beta/developer program.

day two of me hitting check for update on my Fi Pixel. "Your system is up to date." I laugh. I weep.

Incessant Excess posted:

They went back to the horizontal app switcher from the holo days lol

webos060609 ride or die baby

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

hmmxkrazee posted:

Is there a way to close all apps at once

FWIW, there's mostly no point in doing this other than to appease your OCD.

I like the new app switcher if only because the thing where you can copy text from other apps while right in the switcher is badass.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Thermopyle posted:

FWIW, there's mostly no point in doing this other than to appease your OCD.

I like the new app switcher if only because the thing where you can copy text from other apps while right in the switcher is badass.

It doesn't work for me despite being on in the settings, I'm sure it did at some point in the preview

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

isndl posted:

Man, they could have kept the hardware buttons too instead of this software poo poo!

Nothing wrong with software buttons. I just don't want something useful taken away or something lovely foist upon me where where the added "benefit" is still net negative. Maybe notches won't annoy me as much in practice. It just looks dumb and seems pointless.

That said, I'll be fine when charging ports go away once Apple has the courage to do it since that means every phone will have wireless charging. I hated giving that up going from Turbo to Pixel.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Skarsnik posted:

It doesn't work for me despite being on in the settings, I'm sure it did at some point in the preview

Weird. Works fine for me.

Not that I've used it a ton yet...maybe it's finicky.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Pixel XL on Project Fi and I've mashed the button a few times since yesterday and nothing :mad:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

No OTA for my 2XL yet, but I'm on DP5 so don't really care.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

It's apparently doing some sort of OCR, in my above example I was selecting text from an image. Funny how you have to be in the switcher to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Thermopyle posted:

Weird. Works fine for me.

Not that I've used it a ton yet...maybe it's finicky.

Yeah I just get a haptic buzz but no option to select