Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Yeah it's weird that Elidibus hasn't done anything straight-up evil so far (I haven't checked the Warring Triad stuff), but I can't say he's a good guy either if he hangs out with the outright evil Ascians even if it's just to mainly oversee things.

I guess given the balance theme, we'll never run out of things to fight, which is a good thing from a gameplay perspective... I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Argas posted:

The Ascians just want to revive Zodiark or whatever but Elidibus wants there to be a world for him to wake up in while the other Ascians just feel like the end of the world is a problem for the Warrior of Light to deal with.

Yeah, Elidibus is still an antagonist, but he's one of those antagonists who understands that the road trying to go through Superman is dumb and if it's really important he'll let his Chaotic Stupid teammates go that course while he'll wait for his all-powerful God of Darkness to come and be the one to handle the Godslayer when the time comes.

... I mean, he might not have thought this as through as he thinks he has, but at least he's trying, Lahabrea.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Mr. Locke posted:

... I mean, he might not have thought this as through as he thinks he has, but at least he's trying, Lahabrea.

Lahabrea posted:

It is time for the Bringer of Light to die.

Also Lahabrea posted:

Aw gently caress, did I sit on my rear end the whole expansion and not actually do anything again?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/75215c7b7cf325ca1cbe89b6f692f36973bc42a6

Maintenance ending early.

Edit: Aaaand servers up.

Hogama fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Aug 7, 2018

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is that just posted for DPS in need? Because you only have four roulettes unlocked at level 63?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
They. Are. Literally. loving. Rathalos. Panties.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Does anyone else get a really bad feeling about Pagos when the first thing you hear is 'Do more grinding' and soloing an equal level mob is nigh-impossible?

Hunter Noventa fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Aug 7, 2018

Banjo Kaczynski
Jul 26, 2016

watch as I pass you by

SwissArmyDruid posted:

They. Are. Literally. loving. Rathalos. Panties.

That you need 8 scales for! Where do they go?!

Hunter Noventa posted:

DOes anyone else get a really bad feeling about Pagos when the first thing you hear is 'Do more grinding' and soloing an equal level mob is nigh-impossible?

isn't that basically what anemos was on release?

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

pupuru posted:

isn't that basically what anemos was on release?

Yes. I thought they said it would be different.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Hunter Noventa posted:

Joke's on you if you ever believed that.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
I'm level 57 and I'm still in ARR oh my god how please someone

Banjo Kaczynski
Jul 26, 2016

watch as I pass you by

Hunter Noventa posted:

it's got snow now

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sion posted:

I'm level 57 and I'm still in ARR oh my god how please someone

Doing a lot of dungeons?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Hunter Noventa posted:

Does anyone else get a really bad feeling about Pagos when the first thing you hear is 'Do more grinding' and soloing an equal level mob is nigh-impossible?

I forgot how bad Anemos was when I first went in. This just brought it all rushing back. :smith:

At least I can laugh at people getting destroyed by random enemies. That's always fun.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Good grief, peeking into the Wow lore thread has made me glad I jumped to this. Everyone is so much more laid back about the story, its kind of depressing.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Safeword posted:

Good grief, peeking into the Wow lore thread has made me glad I jumped to this. Everyone is so much more laid back about the story, its kind of depressing.

To be fair, it's because we've had thirteen-plus prior core Final Fantasy games to understand that Final Fantasy stories are stupid. Warcraft had, what, three and two expansions? And one of them was even GOOD plot-wise.

(Alternatively, if Y'shtola went and set fire to Gridania, it's not like most of the playerbase wouldn't start cheering for freeing those folks from constant crippling fear of death by elemental. She'd be the hero the Scions need.)

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Safeword posted:

I'd say that's in large part due to FFXIV having had genuinely good writing for most of its post-relaunch run. 2.0 was a lot of hit-and-miss stuff (mostly miss, especially early on), but everything from Heavensward onwards has been great. They've also been pretty smart about keeping the main cast likeable and out of moral quagmires, whereas Warcraft from WC3 onwards has largely been about main characters cartwheeling down the slippery slope.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
I really enjoy that overall, the story is about you and you are the one making things happen. In most other mmos you are just a strong dude who collects bear asses so that npcs can interact with the story

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Vermain posted:

I'd say that's in large part due to FFXIV having had genuinely good writing for most of its post-relaunch run. 2.0 was a lot of hit-and-miss stuff (mostly miss, especially early on), but everything from Heavensward onwards has been great. They've also been pretty smart about keeping the main cast likeable and out of moral quagmires, whereas Warcraft from WC3 onwards has largely been about main characters cartwheeling down the slippery slope.

I feel like even when ARR is at its worst, it's still building up the world and concepts that will escalate or be subverted later.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
new ff14 items means new loot locked behind canals which means

LET'S DO SOME MAPS!!!~~~~~~~

I'll be around all night and I'll be fishing to get a group going starting from 5pm EDT onwards.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Yeah, it's nice that I feel as if I'm improving things and working towards a noble goal. My blood elf by comparison has been asked to murder and gas an increasingly large amount of non-combatants, with no input from me, that it just makes the whole situation dreary - rather than "morally grey".

Heck knows I can't remember anyone's name here (fairly sure those big guys are named via sneezing...), but I remember my interactions with them.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

CYBEReris posted:

I feel like even when ARR is at its worst, it's still building up the world and concepts that will escalate or be subverted later.

Even the worst ARR stuff isn't terrible, it's just not especially inspired, something that's amplified by how many dull filler quests the first half of 2.X has. I think if you got rid of more of the cruft, it's a perfectly fine classic Final Fantasy story, which is what they were aiming for.

Safeword posted:

Yeah, it's nice that I feel as if I'm improving things and working towards a noble goal. My blood elf by comparison has been asked to murder and gas an increasingly large amount of non-combatants, with no input from me, that it just makes the whole situation dreary - rather than "morally grey".

Heck knows I can't remember anyone's name here (fairly sure those big guys are named via sneezing...), but I remember my interactions with them.

FFXIV's story is, truthfully, a breath of fresh air in a media landscape increasingly dominated by a dreary modern cynicism masquerading as moralistic inquiry.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Aug 7, 2018

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Hogama posted:

Looking into some rumors for 5.0, I saw that the source is just a random poster... who correctly called out a bunch of stuff.

Is there like, any record of these past posts or is it all hearsay and legend? 'Cause as much as I want to believe there's some serious pie in the sky stuff mentioned here.

Also a friend of mine is very, very upset about Rathalos and I'm sitting here giggling like a schoolgirl over it. The monster hunter experience!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Rathalos EX is exactly as painful as the details made it sound. :shepicide:

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Rathalos EX is exactly as painful as the details made it sound. :shepicide:

I'm wondering if they made his normal moves any slower due to no dodge roll. I know there's no tells for most of them, what else is crazy?

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
FFXIV has the benefit of authors who, when they self-insert, do so subtly or briefly with minimal impact to world events. They also poke fun at themselves.

WoW has And Justice for Thrall. It's not universal (and with one less now that Metzen retired) but there are a few folks at Blizzard who try too hard to live the adolescent geek dream.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, FFXIV has some "grimdark everything grey" stuff (Heavensward especially) but then injects an honest to goodness set of Good Guys Who Are Empathetic And Kind And Just Fighting For Those That Can't and never really goes into cynicism or subverts that you are a hero. A Warrior of Light. And even when you do bad things, its pitched as "you made a mistake and now you gotta fix it and be better". Its genuine and heartfelt, and so refreshingly... Final Fantasy.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
Rathalos regular was everything I was hoping it would be. Only disappointment was not using the actual tail cutting animation.

Now to get my poo poo pushed directly in by Rath EX.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Tashilicious posted:

Yeah, FFXIV has some "grimdark everything grey" stuff (Heavensward especially) but then injects an honest to goodness set of Good Guys Who Are Empathetic And Kind And Just Fighting For Those That Can't and never really goes into cynicism or subverts that you are a hero. A Warrior of Light. And even when you do bad things, its pitched as "you made a mistake and now you gotta fix it and be better". Its genuine and heartfelt, and so refreshingly... Final Fantasy.
Yeah it’s really sincere. Even the jokes are loving. Mostly.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
the people who run kingdom of loathing/west of loathing have talked about a key aspect of their design philosophy that puts emphasis on using text as a reward and an opportunity to tell a joke, and the reward for doing something in the game is more text, which is yet another opportunity to tell a joke.

the writing quality and depth isn't like "woah man this is deeeeeeeep", it's pretty sophomoric and since it's a final fantasy, we have to go save the crystals! however, there are always opportunities to be entertaining and tell jokes, and they usually go for it most of the time. an example that comes to mind is "piss off, kupo"; it was absolutely free, it had absolutely no bearing on the story, and it absolutely isn't high art or deep... but it's a joke that everyone remembers.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Rainuwastaken posted:

Is there like, any record of these past posts or is it all hearsay and legend? 'Cause as much as I want to believe there's some serious pie in the sky stuff mentioned here.

It's not enough, perhaps, to take everything at face value, but I figure it's at least enough to pay attention to.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Actually only Humes can be that job, and furthermore...

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Kirbysuperstar/status/1026766672462409728

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

10/10 Crossover of the Year.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Algid posted:

Elidibus is all about following narrative causality and avoiding fatal mistakes like long monologues, body-jacking protagonists, killing off friends of the WoL, or attempting to actually fight head-on and then compounding that with boasts of invincibility or fusion/transformation powerups.

Elidibus sounds like Black Knight from A Practical Guide to Evil.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Mr. Locke posted:

To be fair, it's because we've had thirteen-plus prior core Final Fantasy games to understand that Final Fantasy stories are stupid. Warcraft had, what, three and two expansions? And one of them was even GOOD plot-wise.

(Alternatively, if Y'shtola went and set fire to Gridania, it's not like most of the playerbase wouldn't start cheering for freeing those folks from constant crippling fear of death by elemental. She'd be the hero the Scions need.)

Everyone's got their opinion, but I'd say it's that drat contrived "Horde and Alliance must be enemies" thing.

"We finally, collectively, defeated the Lich King, an enemy so powerful his very existence threatened the lives of every sentient being on Azeroth (that we knew of so far, wink wink nudge nudge).

TIME TO GO BACK TO MURDERING EACHOTHER OVER PETTY poo poo.

....hmm. They're not buying it.

TIME TO WRITE SOME COMPLETELY UNFOUNDED REASON TO INCITE CONFLICT."

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Aug 7, 2018

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

isk posted:

WoW has And Justice for Thrall. It's not universal (and with one less now that Metzen retired) but there are a few folks at Blizzard who try too hard to live the adolescent geek dream.

also one of the current story writers both self inserts as nathanos blightcaller and has a massive boner for sylvanas if you're wondering why she's getting so cuddly with him

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
They uncapped Kefkascape Vocaloids but not mendacity. How am I going to put weapon on a bunch of jobs I will literally never play squeenix?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Saint Freak posted:

They uncapped Kefkascape Vocaloids but not mendacity. How am I going to put weapon on a bunch of jobs I will literally never play squeenix?

4.4 will be out in probably not too long, they'll uncap Mendacity then.