Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChunksNensja
Sep 29, 2004

When in doubt, power it out.

Granite Octopus posted:

Even with two crowbars on opposite sides of the shaft we couldn’t get it out. Maybe it’s because this is a non-oem shaft? Idk. Rather than risk destroying something I’m going to take it somewhere, possibly the dealer.

This wasn't a Grip-X brand shaft by any chance? I hope for your sake it's not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
I need brakes and rotors all around for a 2015 STI Base, daily driver, that I never track. Might as well upgrade while I'm at it since the dealer pads & rotors are $LOL. Any thread favorites?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Talk to Jamal. I just upgraded the WRX gear and he got me a solid deal.

Mine:
DBA4000 rotors
Ferodo brake pads
Stoptech braided lines
Motul DOT4 brake fluid

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

CarForumPoster posted:

I need brakes and rotors all around for a 2015 STI Base, daily driver, that I never track. Might as well upgrade while I'm at it since the dealer pads & rotors are $LOL. Any thread favorites?

Centric blanks for rotors are cheap and good. My winter stoptech pads are fine for daily use and also not too expensive.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Kickin up dirt

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

ChunksNensja posted:

This wasn't a Grip-X brand shaft by any chance? I hope for your sake it's not

Nah, it was a Protex branded one https://www.sparesbox.com.au/part/protex-cv-shaft-psa246a
What is the issue with Grip-X?

ChunksNensja
Sep 29, 2004

When in doubt, power it out.

Granite Octopus posted:

Nah, it was a Protex branded one https://www.sparesbox.com.au/part/protex-cv-shaft-psa246a
What is the issue with Grip-X?

They don't sit right against the seal so they leak and get stuck in the diff like that Protex one has. Usually takes two massive pry bars and turning the shaft at the same time to try and get the circlip in just the right spot to pop. Reconditioned ones are the way to go or pay the $300ish from a dealer for new

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
I found a catless uppipe I bought for my 02 WRX in the garage. What is one of those worth now? Does anyone still need one, have all the 02's been converted? Or is it just garbage.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

blindjoe posted:

I found a catless uppipe I bought for my 02 WRX in the garage. What is one of those worth now? Does anyone still need one, have all the 02's been converted? Or is it just garbage.

You can probably get $75 or so. My FXT still has a catted DP which I’ll be changing soon when I get a VF39.

On a related note does anyone have a good VF39 sitting around they’d like to sell?

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

ChunksNensja posted:

They don't sit right against the seal so they leak and get stuck in the diff like that Protex one has. Usually takes two massive pry bars and turning the shaft at the same time to try and get the circlip in just the right spot to pop. Reconditioned ones are the way to go or pay the $300ish from a dealer for new

drat. Sounds like that might be the problem. We had two small crowbars but I was worried about how much force was going onto the side of the trans and I didn’t want to break anything. Didn’t try turning it though.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Remember how Subaru said a AWD BRZ was impossible?

Yeeaaaaah about that.......

https://www.facebook.com/AusRally/posts/10155398462436300

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Impossible is a pretty bold claim when it comes to race cars. But Jesus that lift.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Remember how Subaru said a AWD BRZ was impossible?

Yeeaaaaah about that.......

https://www.facebook.com/AusRally/posts/10155398462436300

Less impossible and more impractical for sales.

But that's baller. The STIs got spanked by the Beetles at ARX rallycross, they really need a smaller platform than the 4-door. Since they're not bringing back the 2 door impreza coupe, they should kit out the BRZ for rally.

Course Subaru itself doesn't seem to give a poo poo about motorsports at all anymore, only Subaru Rally Team USA carries the torch, and I guess some Aussie guys

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

um excuse me posted:

Impossible is a pretty bold claim when it comes to race cars. But Jesus that lift.

The impossible claim was from Subaru and TBH for a few months into the project it DID look impossible. We completely understand why the only attempts at a AWD Toybaru were very VERY extensive chassis changes (I know of two other AWD conversions and I know exactly how they did it and our way is well and truly not like that at all) or just not bothering with a Subaru driveline and use a GTR. In fact the first two builds - this is the THIRD build of the car - didnt even use a Subaru engine. The previous engine was in fact a Toyota 4AGE in a North/South. We even seriously lined up a EVO motor (yes it fits).

THere's a fourth build coming taking into account the poo poo that's been learnt, clean up the build and get it into proper suspension trim.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The impossible claim was from Subaru and TBH for a few months into the project it DID look impossible. We completely understand why the only attempts at a AWD Toybaru were very VERY extensive chassis changes (I know of two other AWD conversions and I know exactly how they did it and our way is well and truly not like that at all) or just not bothering with a Subaru driveline and use a GTR. In fact the first two builds - this is the THIRD build of the car - didnt even use a Subaru engine. The previous engine was in fact a Toyota 4AGE in a North/South. We even seriously lined up a EVO motor (yes it fits).

THere's a fourth build coming taking into account the poo poo that's been learnt, clean up the build and get it into proper suspension trim.

Did you guys rip the guts out of whatever liberty model the BRZ is based on to get everything to work?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Course Subaru itself doesn't seem to give a poo poo about motorsports at all anymore, only Subaru Rally Team USA carries the torch, and I guess some Aussie guys

They race in the GT300 class in Super GT in Japan with a WRC EJ powered BRZ that has mixed results. It either performs ok or breaks down for various reasons.
Subaru also usually enters into the 24 hours of Nurburgring with an STI and they won their class this year but were the only manufacturer in the class I think. The others were private teams.

Anyways it's more of a brand known for hard parking now than motorsport I think. :shrug:

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Be interested in seeing more details - I always love seeing how other people do things like this.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Hey guys. I've been driving around my beloved Hyundai Tiburon for the past ten years and it overheated itself to death last week. I'm going to pick up a 2019 Subaru WRX Premium with a couple random options (235578 on the website builder).

I'm in NJ, I have excellent credit, I wanted to ask what the best strategy for me to go about buying the car with the least amount of hassle. I called a dealership, Lester Glenn in Tom's River but they asked me to come in person, which I imagine is to get me to put a deposit down faster. I do have some advantages in that I don't need the car for a few months (although they said it would take around 8 weeks to deliver so I want to get it moving). Is there a way I can do this over email instead so I can compare with other dealerships? Or is there another dealership that's recommended? How should I go about all this..

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

FateFree posted:

Hey guys. I've been driving around my beloved Hyundai Tiburon for the past ten years and it overheated itself to death last week. I'm going to pick up a 2019 Subaru WRX Premium with a couple random options (235578 on the website builder).

I'm in NJ, I have excellent credit, I wanted to ask what the best strategy for me to go about buying the car with the least amount of hassle. I called a dealership, Lester Glenn in Tom's River but they asked me to come in person, which I imagine is to get me to put a deposit down faster. I do have some advantages in that I don't need the car for a few months (although they said it would take around 8 weeks to deliver so I want to get it moving). Is there a way I can do this over email instead so I can compare with other dealerships? Or is there another dealership that's recommended? How should I go about all this..

Edmunds has a tool that will email all the local dealers, it's pretty handy. From there any dealership that is trying to hassle you already is probably not worth your time. Good thing you don't need it right away.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

FateFree posted:

Email all of them individually in your driving radius at the same time just before you go to bed and imply that you work nights and can't come down to the dealership for anything less certain than completion of the transaction. Keep your replies going out at about the same time through the whole journey. You'll probably end up with a few who will be willing to do it all over email and telephone from there, and then just compare them off. I did this for my recent purchase and it worked pretty well, all email except for one phone call day before purchase and the actual purchase in person.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Found a '07 WRX with 58k miles for $14k.
It's CarMax so I can't really bargain with them, but honestly its a good deal from everything I've seen.
100k WRX wagons are going going for $11k, 3 k is worth 4 years less of driving wear to me.

I'm still waiting on the details but if the belts/levers/pumps have already been replaced, I think it'll be a pretty good deal.

The only negative so far: It's a sedan and silver. First choice would've been a hatchback in black. But the marker for these things is dry as gently caress at the moment.

Edit: Holy poo poo, it's a hatchback and literally the exact car I wanted. Hi I'm Devin and I'll probably be in the Subie club in a few days.

DevCore fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Aug 9, 2018

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Why ask me ? I cant understand me either!
I’m currently running a barstardised hybrid driveshaft in the new beast, but I’m thinking a Set of gen 5 Liberty or Tribeca axles May be the right length..

Anyone got the dimensions for them? Google came up with nothing.

(If you don’t know what I did.. go look in Cat Interceptors OGADID thread)

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Kaptainballistik posted:

I’m currently running a barstardised hybrid driveshaft in the new beast, but I’m thinking a Set of gen 5 Liberty or Tribeca axles May be the right length..

Anyone got the dimensions for them? Google came up with nothing.

(If you don’t know what I did.. go look in Cat Interceptors OGADID thread)

Rockauto.com is pretty good for this. Pick the year and car, drivetrain then look at half shafts. Lots of them have pics with dimensions.

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

I'm getting sick of re-attaching the front bumper and side skirts on my 2010 base model Impreza seemingly more and more often, as the forestry roads around here seem to get worse and worse each year. I've heard some pretty intense smashes from under the car as well, though nothing seems to have been seriously damaged yet. I've been poking around ads for Outbacks and Foresters.

Is lifting my existing car an inch or two a completely stupid idea? From looking around Youtube and some aftermarket parts shops I could do this either by putting spacers in above the struts, or by putting stiffer springs in, both of which seem pretty non-invasive.

I'd just like to be able to navigate my way up slightly washed out mountain roads without my bumper scraping all over the place.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Swapping the turbo and uppipe on the FXT yesterday, I miraculously had zero rusty bolts or nuts. Of course that made the gods angry and I had to wrestle and mangle the passenger side heat shield off by force. I’ve never had something so rusty be so structurally sound. The car has 216k miles and it still had the stock catted uppipe and I believe the original turbo, so the swap is more of a preventative thing. I was going to go VF39, but I got an Invidia catless pipe and an essentially brand new OEM TD04 combo from a friend for a reasonable price. Now I’m just waiting for a new EGT probe and turbo inlet to arrive to button it up.

Old turbo and UP. The cat looked in good shape but I didn’t want to chance it. The turbo has zero play in the wheel but lots of melted and degraded inlet stuck to it.

New turbo.

Here you can see how degraded my stock inlet is

I started reassembling everything yesterday and couldn’t find one of the coolant banjo bolts for the turbo. I spent literally an hour looking for it before resigning myself to buying one at the dealer on Monday. So I recently read an article in National Geographic talking about how "sleeping on" a decision or idea is a good thing because your brain forms unconscious connections when you're asleep that it doesn't while you're awake. The takeaway from that is that at 5:00 this morning I remembered where that bolt was. I had used it to plug the coolant drain line so it would stop dripping.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Is there a good aftermarket replacement for those terribly flimsy lines that go to the wastegate? Those things tear like tissue paper.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
I ended up using McMaster silicone hoses, but I also was rejiggering everything to go to a MAC valve

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

This weekend was my first time car camping with our new(ish) crosstrek and goddamn subaru makes a noisy engine.

Even after a three minute "let's move to a better spot" short distance drive it plinks and tinks after shutdown for like 20 minutes. I'm used to hearing that only after a day of hard driving on an interstate.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I think almost any new car nowadays has that due to the sheer amount of metal shields and other assorted poo poo they stick onto the exhausts. Since they're optimised to warm up the cat as quick as possible for emissions purposes even a short drive will be enough to cause significant metal expansion then you get the plinking as it all cools off.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

every subaru I've ever heard is like that, even the 70s/80s ones. you should hear all the various clinks and clunks my outback makes, runs great though! as long as it keeps making the same sounds it's fine.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

What's a fair price for a set of unopened floor mats for a current gen WRX? I have a set that I never used and didn't know what was reasonable since prices are tough to find.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I'd go 20% off of new pricing with the buyer covering shipping. New in box is about the best anyone can hope for when shopping for used parts and there's not much there to reduce pricing for.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
OE floor mats are things that skyrocket in price after the car has stopped being made. If you can hold onto them, have the space, and don't need the cash they'll be worth more and more. Right now I wouldn't ask more than $150 (and take $100) for them brand new. I say this because a full set of weather tech mats are $200. You're gonna have guys who are interested in your mats, but will just buy weather techs if it's only a little more.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Oh word? My 2016 Outback came with all weather mats but they sent me home with the carpeted mats in a bag, too. I could sell those?! Looks like the 2016 Outback doesn't share compatibility with any other year for floor mats though.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Oh word? My 2016 Outback came with all weather mats but they sent me home with the carpeted mats in a bag, too. I could sell those?! Looks like the 2016 Outback doesn't share compatibility with any other year for floor mats though.

I was just going to put them on Craigslist or something and see if I get any takers. I imagine most people use the all weather mats too.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Anyone have a file source for updating the center console? Really really hate my dealer and don't want to sit there for an hour for a 15 minute job.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Spent about 15 hours installing an Alpine iLX-107 in my 16 WRX over the weekend to replace my garbage Starlink piece of poo poo. I haven't done a head unit installation in probably 15-20 years. Holy poo poo that was a lot of stuff to program (!!) crimp, connect, assemble, snip off, un-crimp, re-crimp, un-crimp because I had it right, re-crimp, test and assemble. Of course I had to basically tear off every single front dash panel.

I think I could have cut that time down by 1/3 if I didn't have my son "help" me. There were a couple screws buried deep on the under-side of the OEM unit that you have to access by jamming a tiny hand or a really long extension from under the steering column and glove box. Despite me saying "this is a terrible idea but I'm going to let you do this one," my son, naturally, unscrewed the one on the steering column side and immediately dropped it down into the nether of the car. Thankfully the bracket for the new unit didn't require those screws, but I can't wait until the one dropped screw rattles for all eternity.

Dumbass time-lapse video I took for no reason:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HamIPjiwN4U

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Aug 14, 2018

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Did you install the gps receiver dongle? Because when I went down that road, this is why my dash board looked like for a while in our non-subaru:

But it ended up looking nice, I took the top shelf out and drilled a little hole for the wire and managed to get it all back together without breaking any clips. Only one extra screw when I was done! Not sure the gps dongle is even needed, but the claim is it makes the gps more accurate and I like accuracy so I took the bait.

Also you can customize the boot up screen if you want, this article mentions a different head unit but the process is identical:

http://www.carplaylife.com/how-to/how-to-install-a-custom-launch-screen-in-a-alpine-ilx-700ilx-007/

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Geeze, my Sony XAV-AX100 install in my '11 WRX literally took 10 minutes in the car. It was about an hour out of car connecting up the wiring harness, but the actual install into the vehicle was plug and play and easy peasy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

Did you install the gps receiver dongle? Because when I went down that road, this is why my dash board looked like for a while in our non-subaru:

But it ended up looking nice, I took the top shelf out and drilled a little hole for the wire and managed to get it all back together without breaking any clips. Only one extra screw when I was done! Not sure the gps dongle is even needed, but the claim is it makes the gps more accurate and I like accuracy so I took the bait.

Also you can customize the boot up screen if you want, this article mentions a different head unit but the process is identical:

http://www.carplaylife.com/how-to/how-to-install-a-custom-launch-screen-in-a-alpine-ilx-700ilx-007/

Haha, goddamn. But yeah I had no idea where the clips were and I was terrified of snapping them off. I didn't have a pry tool, so I actually used my kid's Lego pry tool. It worked shockingly well.

Yeah I didn't think I needed the GPS module. No clue why it was included, but I did see the blurb about it helping the phone GPS (??). I still installed it though, just in case. Routed the wire behind the glove box and inside the side trimming up to the dash. I now have 2 GPS modules on the passenger side: one on the dash for this head unit, and one in the upper right corner of the windshield for my dash cam.

They actually do mention the boot screen replacement in a blurb in the manual. Saw that while trying to find the speed-sensing volume adjustment, which apparently does not exist. Which loving sucks. Having to constantly turn my volume down when I'm at a light sucks.