Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

RNG posted:

I'm sorry about your hosed up ex and the weird EDM rape scene you dropped on her head. Sounds like you
dodged a bullet, dude.

Don't do this poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

quote:

“The reason I killed the dog is this, it’s real simple ... I’m sorry, I think ya'll [sic] are going to have to take me to the Psych Institution, I get that," Kincannon told officers, according to their police report, per the Washington Post. "But I’ll tell you from a legal standpoint you know, it’s in the State Constitution that God is sovereign and I honestly think he told me to do it."

Bulletproof.

oh ok
Oct 11, 2004

Alternate... universe... Shauna... fails... BECHAMEL TEST.

(Passim)

quote:

"We need to do to the Muslims what our forefathers did to the savages that infested America prior to Christopher Columbus"

"I'm unfollowing Trayvon Martin. Dude never tweets anymore."

"Barack Obama isn't an African American. He's just an African. And that's why he sucks at everything. He does not share American values."

"The protocol for a positive Ebola test should be immediate humane execution and sanitization of the whole area. That will save lives."

"Please stop tweeting at me about Trayvon Martin. You're taking all the fun out of his death."

"@AshelyKincannon made me carry a basket of apples for about 10 minutes. I get it now, black people. Sorry about the slavery."

"Thank you, George Zimmerman. RT @RBRNetwork1: Black violent crime went down 80% since Obama's election. TK #BlackTwitter"

"The continent of Africa is an embarrassment to humanity. It always has been."

"Here's why I'm not racist: African Americans = Great people. African Africans = Savages with AIDS and Ebola. Barack Obama is in category #2."

Todd Kincannon is quite a guy. I remember when he was finally kicked off of Twitter for stuff like the above, but it took an unconscionably long time.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Uhhh wow, that was days ago and I’m just hearing about it now.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Ariong posted:

Bulletproof.

He'll get reelected.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Ariong posted:

Bulletproof.

Ya'll [sic]

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

So today in my timezone at least it's the 73rd anniversary of the atomic attack on Hiroshima.

Here's a pretty good article from The New Yorker, published back in 1946: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1946/08/31/hiroshima

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Negrostrike posted:

So today in my timezone at least it's the 73rd anniversary of the atomic attack on Hiroshima.

Here's a pretty good article from The New Yorker, published back in 1946: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1946/08/31/hiroshima

I'm only a few paragraphs in but it's remarkable restrained for being published in 1946. I figured it'd be waaaay more racist

Skelicopter
Feb 19, 2013

More like Prince Alarming
Not exactly an article, but I recently discovered an epic thread by a Belgian adventurer couple about their 2008 road trip through the Democratic Republic of Congo, from Lubumbashi to Kinshasa, just a few years after the Second Congo War ended. It was the first time the drive had been attempted by anyone outside the Congo since the 1980s, back before the wars, when the infrastructure in the country was much better. It's not written in perfect English, but it's an absolute rollercoaster and worth your time.

Pretty unnerving for several reasons: the tourists' cheerful disregard for their own safety; the evident after-effects of one of the most brutal wars of the 21st century; the number of times they almost died or were chased by angry villagers with machetes; the revelations about how much the Democratic Republic of Congo has suffered, and its infrastructure deteriorated, in the past 30 years; the fact that some of the older people in the Congo actually miss the brutal colonialism of the past because at least it provided some stability; and also, I guess, all the stuff about cannibal bandits and ears being fried in pans.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Milo and POTUS posted:

I'm only a few paragraphs in but it's remarkable restrained for being published in 1946. I figured it'd be waaaay more racist

Exactly. I was pretty surprised they wrote a realistic account of what happened only one year after, accurately depicting how the people suffered and without portraying them as savages who deserved it or whatever. I still have to finish reading it as well.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Negrostrike posted:

Speaking of the bombing, yesterday I wound up watching a clip from Barefoot Gen, a manga that was created by a survivor of Hiroshima's bombing, depicting an almost autobiographical account of his childhood, including the massive changes wrought by the bomb. In the first movie adaptation of the manga, there's a graphic section of :nms: the bomb hitting Hiroshima. :nms: It's awful to watch, and while obviously stylized it's still probably the closest we'll ever get to "seeing" what happened that day.

I learned that the bomb had a little parachute on it, which gave the plane time to get out of the blast zone, which is... yeah.

e: And I just found an interview with the creator, which is harrowing to read.

quote:

GLEASON: Tell me what happened that day.

NAKAZAWA: Even though it was August, we weren’t on summer vacation. Kids were required to attend classes all summer, the idea being it would turn us into “strong citizens.” I was on my way to the Kanzaki primary school. If I’d gone through the school gate a moment earlier, I wouldn’t be here. Just a little thing like that — I’ve often thought about it. Luck or fate is a strange thing.

[...]

The next thing I remember, it was pitch dark. It seemed like night. But a moment ago, there had been blue sky overhead. I felt something jabbed in my cheek, a nail — I still have the scar, see? I wondered what had happened. When I tried to get up I found I was under a pile of tiles and boards. The wall of the school had collapsed behind me. I crawled out from under it. In front of me, I saw the lady I’d just been talking to, but now she was lying out in the street. Her hair was all burned, her face and skin were black, and she was staring straight at me.

StrixNebulosa has a new favorite as of 13:51 on Aug 7, 2018

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

Skelicopter posted:

Not exactly an article, but I recently discovered an epic thread by a Belgian adventurer couple about their 2008 road trip through the Democratic Republic of Congo, from Lubumbashi to Kinshasa, just a few years after the Second Congo War ended. It was the first time the drive had been attempted by anyone outside the Congo since the 1980s, back before the wars, when the infrastructure in the country was much better. It's not written in perfect English, but it's an absolute rollercoaster and worth your time.

Pretty unnerving for several reasons: the tourists' cheerful disregard for their own safety; the evident after-effects of one of the most brutal wars of the 21st century; the number of times they almost died or were chased by angry villagers with machetes; the revelations about how much the Democratic Republic of Congo has suffered, and its infrastructure deteriorated, in the past 30 years; the fact that some of the older people in the Congo actually miss the brutal colonialism of the past because at least it provided some stability; and also, I guess, all the stuff about cannibal bandits and ears being fried in pans.

Are the pictures broken or is it just my browser?

Skelicopter
Feb 19, 2013

More like Prince Alarming

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

Are the pictures broken or is it just my browser?

Just your browser, I think. I'm using Chrome and the pictures are fine.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Skelicopter posted:

I’m barely a paragraph in and as an ex-cook, seeing a brimming pot of boiling oil for french fries on an open flame is seriously unnerving.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

Skelicopter posted:

Just your browser, I think. I'm using Chrome and the pictures are fine.

opened it in chrome and it works. I was using Firefox :(

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Serling was incredibly liberal and a lot of people just don't realize how important and groundbreaking a TV show The Twilight Zone actually was. For instance the episode titled The Big Tall Wish starred nobody but African-Americans, which was incredibly rare if not completely unheard of in 1960. Not only did it star African-Americans but the fact that they were black was not an issue. The episode wasn't about the trials of being black or anything, it just happened to be played by black people.

quote:

Television, like its big sister, the motion picture, has been guilty of the sin of omission… Hungry for talent, desperate for the so-called ‘new face,’ constantly searching for a transfusion of new blood, it has overlooked a source of wondrous talent that resides under its nose. This is the Negro actor.

Serling won the Unity Award for Outstanding Contributions to Better Race Relations in 1961.

He also hired homosexuals that couldn't get work and people blacklisted from Hollywood. He was also incredibly prolific in his writing, writing nearly every episode in the first few years.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Hauki posted:

I’m barely a paragraph in and as an ex-cook, seeing a brimming pot of boiling oil for french fries on an open flame is seriously unnerving.

They don’t seem like people who take a lot of thought into taking care of themselves tbf

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
They basically do almost everything wrong when traveling in a wartorn foreign country yes.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

bean_shadow posted:

Serling was incredibly liberal and a lot of people just don't realize how important and groundbreaking a TV show The Twilight Zone actually was. For instance the episode titled The Big Tall Wish starred nobody but African-Americans, which was incredibly rare if not completely unheard of in 1960. Not only did it star African-Americans but the fact that they were black was not an issue. The episode wasn't about the trials of being black or anything, it just happened to be played by black people.

Serling won the Unity Award for Outstanding Contributions to Better Race Relations in 1961.

He also hired homosexuals that couldn't get work and people blacklisted from Hollywood. He was also incredibly prolific in his writing, writing nearly every episode in the first few years.

Serling was way ahead of his time in that respect. He used the show to address topics that were taboo for television at the time, but he knew he could slip them by the censors and the uptight sponsors by presenting them in a sci-fi/fantasy program.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Negrostrike posted:

Exactly. I was pretty surprised they wrote a realistic account of what happened only one year after, accurately depicting how the people suffered and without portraying them as savages who deserved it or whatever. I still have to finish reading it as well.

This article (later published as a book) was required reading when I was in high school.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Skelicopter posted:

quote:

This made me so angry. He was right ofcourse, this was not my country. I was nothing more then a visitor. I had no other intentions but to explore their country and meet the people. But they did not want me here. They wanted my money, but not me.
Lmao no poo poo Sherlock.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

Barefoot Gen

I'm sure most of you have seen it or are aware of it, but Grave of the Fireflies is another WWII anime that will absolutely ruin your day.

DaveMatthewsIsAPedo
Apr 9, 2009
P

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

RNG posted:

I'm sure most of you have seen it or are aware of it, but Grave of the Fireflies is another WWII anime

Lol, no.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

?

Are you going to explain or are you just going to be rude?

Grave of the Fireflies is set "during the final months of the Second World War." and shortly after, according to wikipedia.

RNG posted:

I'm sure most of you have seen it or are aware of it, but Grave of the Fireflies is another WWII anime that will absolutely ruin your day.

It sounds amazing and awful, given everything I've heard about it. I can't do it right now, but someday when I'm in the mood to stare despondently at the ceiling...yes, I'll watch it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

StrixNebulosa posted:

?

Are you going to explain or are you just going to be rude?

Grave of the Fireflies is set "during the final months of the Second World War." and shortly after, according to wikipedia.

It sounds amazing and awful, given everything I've heard about it. I can't do it right now, but someday when I'm in the mood to stare despondently at the ceiling...yes, I'll watch it.

I think he's saying: anime :imunfunny:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Milo and POTUS posted:

Then he's a child and not old enough to be in this thread, it's not safe for immature minds to look at and read. :ohdear:

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Then he's a child and not old enough to be in this thread, it's not safe for immature minds to look at and read. :ohdear:

Lol do you think all of us weren't seeking poo poo like this out before we were ten

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Milo and POTUS posted:

I found the fanservice quite gratuitous personally

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Negrostrike posted:

John Hersey, the author, was raised in China (parents were missionaries from the US) and was considered very progressive on many issues, including intercultural and race relations, throughout his career.

On the down side, he plagiarized some bits of later works. But not this, this was on-the-ground reportage and it's considered one of the finest works of journalism of the 20th century.

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

Skelicopter posted:

The story of the journey is very interesting but the author's attitude towards the locals begging/asking for money is the most insufferable thing in the world and he never stops pouting about it or seems to gain any insight into the matter at all.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

ulex minor posted:

The story of the journey is very interesting but the author's attitude towards the locals begging/asking for money is the most insufferable thing in the world and he never stops pouting about it or seems to gain any insight into the matter at all.

He was just upset they weren’t willing to give him a hand.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

RNG posted:

My great aunt hated how it had a happy ending compared to what she experienced in post-war Japan. Both the main characters die of starvation and the last shot is their spirits overlooking modern Kobe.

She was also a nurse in Hiroshima during 1945, and she had a nice photo book that was given to her by a friend.

She showed it to me when I was 8 and I didn't sleep for weeks, I was afraid the ant walking crocodiles were going to get me. I wouldnt recommend looking that phrase up, they're the unlucky survivors who were close enough to the blast to have their eyes vaporized and their skin burned off, but not so close they could actually die.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Bobby Digital posted:

He was just upset they weren’t willing to give him a hand.

Boo! Boo this post.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Everyone knows the Belgians have always been very hands off in the Congo, anyway.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
All this discussion of the horrors of Hiroshima and Nagasaki reminded me of the one song that always wrecks me when it comes to these events.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9ckznQP2FA

First penned by Ian Campbell of the Ian Campbell Folkband, it's probably best known as the cover recorded by Simon & Garfunkel, but I prefer The Dubliners version.

The way it draws you in as just a nice little summery melody and then sideswipes you in the last verses.

The Sun has come to earth.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ulex minor posted:

I love the idea of Belgians who have enough money to apparently travel whenever they want being like “gently caress off Congo it’s not like we owe you anything” like the actual loving balls to even attempt that

Maybe if you weren’t willing to hand out a few bucks you could of returned some of their actual hands instead on your poverty tour

E;fb

Aesop Poprock has a new favorite as of 06:02 on Aug 8, 2018

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Yeah, like literally any other country I could see them being peeved about asking for money at least a little. But these Belgians are all indignant about needy people in the Congo? They're lucky they didn't get their loving hands chopped off.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Don Gato posted:

My great aunt hated how it had a happy ending compared to what she experienced in post-war Japan. Both the main characters die of starvation and the last shot is their spirits overlooking modern Kobe.

She was also a nurse in Hiroshima during 1945, and she had a nice photo book that was given to her by a friend.

She showed it to me when I was 8 and I didn't sleep for weeks, I was afraid the ant walking crocodiles were going to get me. I wouldnt recommend looking that phrase up, they're the unlucky survivors who were close enough to the blast to have their eyes vaporized and their skin burned off, but not so close they could actually die.

The author insisted it was about his hubris as a young man and got pissed off when it reduced the audience of grown executives to tears.

I'm so sorry your aunt/family had to go through that. It seems like the closest thing I can imagine to hell on earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

RNG posted:

Mom got into animation a few years ago with The Triplets of Belleville. She actually forgave me for slipping Fireflies into her mix a few years later,