Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AutumnDDP
Oct 23, 2016

Grimey Drawer
PC gaming is dumb. I can buy a console that has very good graphics for a fraction of the price. Consoles usually have the best games too.

That being said, I'm still pretty happy with my PS3 and Xbox 360. I don't think that cutting edge graphics make a game much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

AutumnDDP posted:

PC gaming is dumb. I can buy a console that has very good graphics for a fraction of the price. Consoles usually have the best games too.

That being said, I'm still pretty happy with my PS3 and Xbox 360. I don't think that cutting edge graphics make a game much better.

thanks for your opinion about 8 year old video game consoles

AutumnDDP
Oct 23, 2016

Grimey Drawer
I mean, they're still good enough. I'm just not very impressed by new game consoles anymore. I know it makes me look old, but when I was a kid, upgrading from a NES to a Sega Genesis was a big deal. Likewise for getting a PS1 for the first time. Nowadays I just don't care about graphical upgrades and I don't know what the big deal is.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

AutumnDDP posted:

I mean, they're still good enough. I'm just not very impressed by new game consoles anymore. I know it makes me look old, but when I was a kid, upgrading from a NES to a Sega Genesis was a big deal. Likewise for getting a PS1 for the first time. Nowadays I just don't care about graphical upgrades and I don't know what the big deal is.

loving nerd

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

thanks for your opinion about 8 year old video game consoles

I mean, that is kind of the point of this thread

AutumnDDP
Oct 23, 2016

Grimey Drawer

Haha, you got me lol. I think we're all nerds in this thread though.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

1redflag posted:

I mean, that is kind of the point of this thread

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

yeah. I know

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

AutumnDDP posted:

Haha, you got me lol. I think we're all nerds in this thread though.

yeah I know

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
when is nintendo going to reelease the nintendo 69

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

zelda: twilight princess was quite forgettable except for midna. idk if that's unpopular though

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I agree with it. I honestly can't remember any one of the dungeons ior main areas in particular

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

1redflag posted:

I agree with it. I honestly can't remember any one of the dungeons ior main areas in particular

it's like, everything looked very nice but nothing really stood out, felt very sterile

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

AutumnDDP posted:

I'm still pretty happy with my PS3 and Xbox 360. I don't think that cutting edge graphics make a game much better.

AutumnDDP posted:

goodpinions

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

Bethesda "environmental storytelling" is more often than not cringeworthy, and when it isn't, it's just pointless. "Oh there are two skeletons lying on the bed, how poignant"

In Tribunal there's a bed down in the dwemer ruins with two piles of ash (representing two dead dwemer who were in the bed when they died) along with a dwemer tube that suggests some kind of dwemer dildo play.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
While I was disappointed in the game, I find the complaints of it being too long before Skells (Mechs) were introduced in Xenoblade X to be unwarranted. Sure waiting 30 hours seems like a lot on paper, but due to how long the game is and how massive the world is, you'll be able to keep yourself preoccupied before you notice it.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
fa18 hornet was TOO HARD

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The best part of the Sierra game A-10 Tank Killer was that during a mission where you were supposed to clear out SAMs and such to protect B-52s flying overhead you could double back, gain altitude, and blast the B-52s from the sky yourself.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

The best part of the Sierra game A-10 Tank Killer was that during a mission where you were supposed to clear out SAMs and such to protect B-52s flying overhead you could double back, gain altitude, and blast the B-52s from the sky yourself.

Today I learned that B-52s built in the '50s and '60s are still being used.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I think it's a grandfather's axe scenario though, they've been constantly maintained and upgraded (could be wrong, I read that on here somewhere)

YagotmeIdidit
Jan 10, 2018

AutumnDDP posted:

There is no big deal, do people really make a fuss about graphics now? I mean, nothing will compare to going from 2D pixels to 3D polygons.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I like the new God of War, but I think the old ones were better. I wish this one was just the same again but with crazy good graphics, and it's not just because 'WAH CHANGE'. I think essentially, the old games were wandering around murdering dudes by the jillion in fun gimmicky ways, while moving between one gimmicky set piece to the next, with each group of set pieces unlocking some new gimmick. All the gimmicks were tied into Greek Myths in fun, often funny and over the top ways. The NEW God of war is basically the same, but instead of gimmicks, its 'meaningful dialogue'. And like, yeah, this is probably objectively better from like, a 'quality' point of view (I dunno, like a critical eye, artistic merit etc), but actually the "murdering dudes by the jillion" isn't as fun now, and because there isn't a Greek myth themed gimmick at the end, but instead a progression of a meaningful dialogue, I'm actually not as excited to get there. Like, there's only so many plots (is it 11?) y'know? No matter how great the story is, it's going to be something I've seen. Give me gimmicks any day.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

1redflag posted:

I cant believe there isn't a game where you fight as the Vietcong defending against Western imperialism

I see you have never played "Lode Runner"

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Lunchabully posted:

This thread is a great reminder that some people play games for entirely different reasons than I do

Related: is there any way to tell Steam that I never want to see anime ever again?

Yes, it's called the "uninstall" feature.

YagotmeIdidit
Jan 10, 2018

!Klams posted:

I like the new God of War, but I think the old ones were better. I wish this one was just the same again but with crazy good graphics, and it's not just because 'WAH CHANGE'. I think essentially, the old games were wandering around murdering dudes by the jillion in fun gimmicky ways, while moving between one gimmicky set piece to the next, with each group of set pieces unlocking some new gimmick. All the gimmicks were tied into Greek Myths in fun, often funny and over the top ways. The NEW God of war is basically the same, but instead of gimmicks, its 'meaningful dialogue'. And like, yeah, this is probably objectively better from like, a 'quality' point of view (I dunno, like a critical eye, artistic merit etc), but actually the "murdering dudes by the jillion" isn't as fun now, and because there isn't a Greek myth themed gimmick at the end, but instead a progression of a meaningful dialogue, I'm actually not as excited to get there. Like, there's only so many plots (is it 11?) y'know? No matter how great the story is, it's going to be something I've seen. Give me gimmicks any day.

Games are art now.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

YagotmeIdidit posted:

Games are art now.

The ones for mature adults who have grown up :smug:

How dare you enjoy your childish violent romp.

E: i was reminded of it, I love Chrono Cross dearly thread

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Aug 7, 2018

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Final Fantasy 7 is an okay game, definitely not the best Final Fantasy

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

QuarkJets posted:

Final Fantasy 7 is an okay game, definitely not the best Final Fantasy

Final fantasy 7 should have been 3 discs shorter.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

But then Aerith would still be alive... Really makes u think

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

FF7 really doesn't hold up well, but the story still holds a special place in my heart

that being said, the remake sounds like it's going to be loving horrible

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

1redflag posted:

But then Aerith would still be alive... Really makes u think

no she wouldn't, it was only 3 discs long to begin with

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

She'd be alive in my heart, bud.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
ff7 was good, idiots

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
every ff before 7 is loving hot wet poo poo sprayed all over the sidewalk from a bums rear end and the bum also has AIDS

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Nooner posted:

every ff before 7 is loving hot wet poo poo sprayed all over the sidewalk from a bums rear end and the bum also has AIDS

Final fantasy 5 was the realist, because it made you get a job.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Cibele is merely a game developed by someone who is delusional and trying to cope that they got played as a one night stand by some guy they met on Final Fantasy XI.

There's nothing "complex" about it.

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs

Oscar Wild posted:

Final fantasy 5 was the realist, because it made you get a job.

I’m playing this for the first time without looking poo poo up and it’s definitely the best and most challenging one.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
LISA is the best Final Fantasy

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Sardonik posted:

LISA is the best Final Fantasy

It's a goddamn travesty that Undertale got all the attention while LISA was ignored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

is pepsi ok posted:

It's a goddamn travesty that Undertale got all the attention while LISA was ignored.