Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

that's what it was! I knew it was one of the 3D ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

i would call that a victory, yes

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

It's the little fist pump at the end that turns it from good to great.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Punching my own head off to own the libs.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Punching his own head off to establish dominance over his opponent is an extremely Baraka thing to do so I'm glad it's him that gets to demonstrate that glitch.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Croccers posted:

Punching my own head off to own the libs.

Why not? He gets it right back in the next match.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CJacobs posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcNMgpYpgfw

The AI in Max Payne 3 is generally really smart, but sometimes it can make very, very bad decisions.

Whats up with ps1 Max

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's an unlockable skin. It's actually Max from the Gameboy Advance game, which is a real thing that exists!

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

CJacobs posted:

It's an unlockable skin. It's actually Max from the Gameboy Advance game, which is a real thing that exists!

And for what it is, actually really good!

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Just watching those videos made me think drat, rockstar put together some wicked environments on what amounts to souped up 2003 macs

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

https://twitter.com/MikkiHEL/status/1026155329577541633

(thread)

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

RagnarokAngel posted:

And for what it is, actually really good!

I will take your word for it, the gbas d-pad seems very very very very very very very very bad for anything involving three dimensional movement

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

mandatory lesbian posted:

I will take your word for it, the gbas d-pad seems very very very very very very very very bad for anything involving three dimensional movement

It was an isometric 2D game.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

RagnarokAngel posted:

here's a fairly informative video on it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOJ88WX-RWc

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The Max Payne GBA game is so much better than anyone could've possibly imagined. I love it because it's such a perfect time capsule of what it was like to have a game on multiple platforms back in that era. The PS2 version of Max Payne had to completely redo the saving/loading/checkpoint system because it was much more cumbersome for the player to save/load than on PC, not to mention the memory card data storage structure. And then you have stuff like the GBA game where they literally completely remade the game just to sell it on another platform, making it the same game but a totally different experience. Developers just don't do that stuff anymore and I find it a really neat relic of the past. :allears:

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CJacobs posted:

The Max Payne GBA game is so much better than anyone could've possibly imagined. I love it because it's such a perfect time capsule of what it was like to have a game on multiple platforms back in that era. The PS2 version of Max Payne had to completely redo the saving/loading/checkpoint system because it was much more cumbersome for the player to save/load than on PC, not to mention the memory card data storage structure. And then you have stuff like the GBA game where they literally completely remade the game just to sell it on another platform, making it the same game but a totally different experience. Developers just don't do that stuff anymore and I find it a really neat relic of the past. :allears:

Iirc the rainbow six gbc game was like this, it was top-down scoped weapons just moved the viewport over by a screen or something

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Perfect Dark for the Game Boy Colour was a top-down isometric Metal Gear-esque shooter so utterly, completely different from the N64 game as to be unrecognizable. It also had a weird lumpy cartridge with an integrated rumble pack and a genuinely distressing death scream whenever you died.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Angry Diplomat posted:

Perfect Dark for the Game Boy Colour was a top-down isometric Metal Gear-esque shooter so utterly, completely different from the N64 game as to be unrecognizable. It also had a weird lumpy cartridge with an integrated rumble pack and a genuinely distressing death scream whenever you died.

The game also worked with the gameboy printer and the Gameboy to N64 transfer pack so the thing was hilariously over engineered for what it was. It also probably has the second hardest tutorial after the first Driver and despite the difficulty the tutorial doesnt teach you how to play the first thing you do in the actual game.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Barudak posted:

The game also worked with the gameboy printer and the Gameboy to N64 transfer pack so the thing was hilariously over engineered for what it was. It also probably has the second hardest tutorial after the first Driver and despite the difficulty the tutorial doesnt teach you how to play the first thing you do in the actual game.

Yeah that game was loving brutal. I remember making it to like... level 3 and completely giving up.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

This is awesome.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Daikatana for the Game Boy Colour was a turn-based rpg and was actually half decent.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I think I own Turok for the gameboy. I don't remember if I ever played it.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Then you had the true oddballs like Ecks vs Sever that inverse of the usual was actually superior to the movie, and being one of the few GBA FPS out there.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I think they were like a dozen FPS for the GBA, most of them classic ports (Doom 1 & 2, Duke 3D, Wolf 3D) or an heavily adapted port of a console shooter (Medal of Honor, James Bond).

I believe the first Ecks vs Sever was based on a script, so it wasn’t inspired by the actual movie itself. That probably changed for the sequel, even if the movie ended up being a dud (I described it once with “no one had fun during the making of this movie, not even the on-set caterer”).

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 16:24 on Aug 7, 2018

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
The GBA was a beast if you had the right people working on it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56EzX4Mbg34&t=620s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfOR3XqrJc4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OluuAs3IAM&t=92s

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Mierenneuker posted:

I believe the first Ecks vs Sever was based on a script, so it wasn’t inspired by the actual movie itself. That probably changed for the sequel, even if the movie ended up being a dud (I described it once with “no one had fun during the making of this movie, not even the on-set caterer”).

basically an earlier version of the script, makes you wonder what the hell happened in the rewrites to make the resulting movie a loving bore.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

RagnarokAngel posted:

ah, well that solves that problem then

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

If anyone hasn't seen it they should read breaking Madden by John Bois.
https://www.sbnation.com/2015/1/27/7916937/breaking-madden-super-bowl-2015-seahawks-patriots
https://www.sbnation.com/2014/1/30/5351052/breaking-madden-super-bowl-broncos-seahawks

"A BUTT FART just stood there. He refused to snap the ball. I was managing the blue Patriots, and had left the computer in charge of the white Patriots, so none of this was my doing.

This went on for minutes and minutes:

After a little over 30 minutes, he was still standing there, refusing to play. This is what I choose to perceive as the consequence of setting players' Awareness ratings to 99. Their awareness extends beyond football. They have achieved sentience. They know that they are little artificial intelligences, incubating in a plastic box. They know what is happening, and they know it is bad. They understand what the oblivious Seahawks do not.

This was a nonviolent protest.

I know when the game is trying to tell me something. Ethically speaking, I had no choice but to end the game, and end what I assumed to be the Patriots' existential suffering."

-Zydeco- has a new favorite as of 07:21 on Aug 15, 2018

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Clarence Beeftank is possibly my favorite name of any character in anything ever.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

haveblue posted:

Clarence Beeftank is possibly my favorite name of any character in anything ever.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

It’s hard for me to say which Breaking Madden is the best, but I’ve always laughed at ‘Edge of Tom-morrow’.

Unaltered Tom Brady, from their own one-yard line, set to QB sneak against linemen set to blitz.

https://www.sbnation.com/2014/10/16/6969215/breaking-madden-tom-brady-edge-of-tomorrow

DemonTrigger
May 30, 2011

I'M MAKIN' IT GP RAIN

ZFG just put out another video with the technical details of some relatively new glitches and routing in the Ocarina of Time 100% speedrun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3imWPFtHkQ

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Yeah, there were a lot of problems with the balance of wildlife and undead, and undead carp were some of the worst offenders in either category. There's the aforementioned notion that it used to be that any skill could give a unit stat buffs, including swimming, and fish for some reason exercised swimming skill so any persistent fish unit could get hella buff (which is a quirk I hadn't recalled). There's also the fact that bite attacks were at one time hellaciously unbalanced; I think that they were using the material strength of apatite and the strength of the attacker without regard to the fact that teeth are small, imperfect weapons inside of a mouth instead of being like a giant ivory polearm, so you'd routinely get bite attacks tearing off limbs of larger creatures and such. Carp also had slightly buff stats to begin with, to reflect their status as hellfish. All of this was made much, much worse if the carp became undead; undead things don't need to breathe, so yes, undead aquatic creatures would happily struggle onto land and flop after the living. Undead were EXTREMELY hardy for a long portion of the game's life, too; blunt damage and piercing damage were mostly useless in destroying undead, because you had to hack them apart, with decapitation being (usually) treated as an instant kill. So these mega carp with hellteeth would come flopping and wiggling up from the depths in search of the blood of the living, which they would reap in spades thanks to their small freakish teeth capable of severing a man's arm in a single bite.

This whole balance problem lead to other issues as well. Most famous is that elephants, prevalent in the game's earliest builds, were appropriately terrifying combat monsters due to their massive size, but they could still fit into dwarven tunnels or stack infinitely into a cubic meter of space. A fun lesser known example is the undead sponge. Occasionally, the same conditions that could lead to a fort being infested with hardy undead carp could also generate undead sponges. This leads to a problem. The sponge, being relatively slow and sessile and possessing no limbs, was not an especially dangerous combatant. Possessed with the mighty ability to inch onto land, sponges mostly just terrified dwarves into uselessness, and your military would happily leap in to begin combat with the threat. However, remember how I said undead needed to be hacked apart, and sponges have no limbs? That's right. For a while, undead sponges were completely immortal. Just these...cthonic heaps of undying flesh that were vaguely threatening and couldn't be hammered or axed or sworded for poo poo. I suppose you could use a Dwarven Atom Smasher (A drawbridge happily makes anything under it cease to exist), but that would require the presence of mind to set one up beforehand, because your dwarves would put on their best Ernest T. Judd and flee in terror from these horrible creeping sponges otherwise.

I'm very late on this, but this is incredible. An invasion of immortal, terrifying, but mostly harmless creatures that clog up your land and troops! Can this kind of outcome be called emergent gameplay if it's single player?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Mizuti posted:

I'm very late on this, but this is incredible. An invasion of immortal, terrifying, but mostly harmless creatures that clog up your land and troops! Can this kind of outcome be called emergent gameplay if it's single player?

They were pretty dangeous; they can't really attack in any way but shoving and their sheer bulk meant that shoves would break bones.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-08-30-sea-of-thieves-latest-update-inadvertently-gives-players-spyglass-dongs

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I love that dumb bug, we even managed to catch a screengrab of fellow goon Baba getting both the Neon Green Skeleton glitch and the Scopedick glitch at the same time

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Pirate Legend indeed.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Babe Magnet posted:

I love that dumb bug, we even managed to catch a screengrab of fellow goon Baba getting both the Neon Green Skeleton glitch and the Scopedick glitch at the same time

The absolute ledge.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

So, the new Spider-Man game is out and is pretty stable, but has produced at least a couple gems. Quoting from the thread:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

VolticSurge posted:

So, the new Spider-Man game is out and is pretty stable, but has produced at least a couple gems. Quoting from the thread:

:gizz: