Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

euphronius posted:

Yeah collusion kind of means “unlawful conspiracy”

So it would be like saying “murder is not a crime”. That’s nonsense since the criminality is built into the word.

euphronius posted:

gently caress it. I’m getting the dictionary out, big guy.

Edit

Collusion: secret agreement or cooperation for an illegal or deceitful purpose

Webster’s new collegiate 1979

My initial thought when this topic was broached a few posts up was "conspiracy is to murder as collusion is to homicide" but then I realized that would be an inexact rabbit hole since technically some homicides are legal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

euphronius posted:

Edit

Deceitful isn’t necessarily illegal, nice self own

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

euphronius posted:

Edit

I thought the guy was asking in the legal thread if collusion was a crime, not what the definition of collusion was.

If we're picking synonyms, I vote for skullduggery.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Ya'll are definitely talking past each other.

I think the original question was, "what is the crime of collusion?" And the answer is, "collusion isn't, in and of itself the crime. the crime is that they colluded to commit a crime."

And Euph is also right, that its defined as "collusion" if there is an illegal purpose (the crime they colluded to commit).

But there isn't necessarily a criminal statute called "Collusion."

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

blarzgh posted:

Ya'll are definitely talking past each other.

I think the original question was, "what is the crime of collusion?" And the answer is, "collusion isn't, in and of itself the crime. the crime is that they colluded to commit a crime."

In which case, if you're talking about crimes the correct word is 'conspired.'

Collusion is so fetch.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Colloquially, they got caught colluding to commit conspiratorial crimes.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The point is “collusion is not a crime” is wrong.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Sorry to break up all this collusion chat. In Fond Du Lac county, WI, are wills filed with a court/the county prior to death? I evidently know a bunch of people who don't put these fuckers on the fridge, so just trying to cover the bases re: places to search besides toilet tank and personal attorney (lol as if).

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

The point is “collusion is not a crime” is wrong.

Don't make me semanticize this early in the week, you fucker

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You can get a safe deposit box at a Bank as well.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

BonerGhost posted:

Sorry to break up all this collusion chat. In Fond Du Lac county, WI, are wills filed with a court/the county prior to death? I evidently know a bunch of people who don't put these fuckers on the fridge, so just trying to cover the bases re: places to search besides toilet tank and personal attorney (lol as if).

No idea. someone at one of these phone numbers might have an idea, though: http://www.fdlco.wi.gov/departments/departments-n-z/probate

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

BonerGhost posted:

I'd suggest calling the local clerk of probate court and asking them.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You better look good because If you Petition to be an administrator of an intestate estate and the will turns up that’s a big matza ball.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

blarzgh posted:

No idea. someone at one of these phone numbers might have an idea, though: http://www.fdlco.wi.gov/departments/departments-n-z/probate

Thanks, don't know how I missed that lol.

euphronius posted:

You better look good because If you Petition to be an administrator of an intestate estate and the will turns up that’s a big matza ball.

Oh hell no, I'm already admin of an intestate estate from when my dad died a couple years ago. In-laws are now dealing with the same BS and an attorney in their family gave me bad advice at the time, just trying to do a bit of legwork for them.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
My friend and I were discussing the usual stupid get rich quick schemes the people always come up with, and he said sperm donation always seemed like a good idea, provided of course he had ever fit the criteria of being super tall and smart xcetera. I told him it was a horrible idea, because you would be on the hoc for child support if the mother ever needed it and went to court.

He insisted that something like sperm donation, as long as you did it anonymously through a clinic, would never result in anything like child support needed to be paid. I told him it varied by the state, and also that child support is not something you can simply contract yourself away from, because it's in the best interest of the child not the parents.

so even if you were a guy, you did the anonymous sperm donation through a licensed clinic, there would still be a way for the mother, if she found out your identity, to get child support from you. Of course, if the clinic ever released your information, or it was stolen, I could see a lawsuit against that but in general, it's pretty much always possible for the man who donated sperm to get hit with a child support bill?

Yoda
Dec 11, 2003

A Jedi I am

Cowslips Warren posted:

My friend and I were discussing the usual stupid get rich quick schemes the people always come up with, and he said sperm donation always seemed like a good idea, provided of course he had ever fit the criteria of being super tall and smart xcetera. I told him it was a horrible idea, because you would be on the hoc for child support if the mother ever needed it and went to court.

He insisted that something like sperm donation, as long as you did it anonymously through a clinic, would never result in anything like child support needed to be paid. I told him it varied by the state, and also that child support is not something you can simply contract yourself away from, because it's in the best interest of the child not the parents.

so even if you were a guy, you did the anonymous sperm donation through a licensed clinic, there would still be a way for the mother, if she found out your identity, to get child support from you. Of course, if the clinic ever released your information, or it was stolen, I could see a lawsuit against that but in general, it's pretty much always possible for the man who donated sperm to get hit with a child support bill?

The general (majority) rule and the one followed by the uniform parentage act is that if the sperm is provided to a doctor (or clinic) than the donor is not a father and has no obligation, even if the eventual recipient knows or finds out who the donor is. Intent, contract and state will play a role however, as a partner who uses artificial means to inseminate his significant other would almost always have rights and obligations that would almost certainly never attach to an anonymous donor. The place where it gets iffy and state law/contract language becomes vital is when a woman/couple use a friend to provide the sperm.

Uniform Parentage Act of 2017 posted:

SECTION 701. SCOPE OF [ARTICLE]. This [article] does not apply to the birth of a
child conceived by sexual intercourse[ or assisted reproduction under a surrogacy agreement
under [Article] 8].
Legislative Note: A state should include the bracketed phrase concerning a surrogacy agreement
if the state wishes to recognize in statute surrogacy agreements and includes Article 8 in this act.
SECTION 702. PARENTAL STATUS OF DONOR. A donor is not a parent of a
child conceived by assisted reproduction.
Comment
Source: UPA (2002) § 702.
SECTION 703. PARENTAGE OF CHILD OF ASSISTED REPRODUCTION. An
individual who consents under Section 704 to assisted reproduction by a woman with the intent
to be a parent of a child conceived by the assisted reproduction is a parent of the child.
SECTION 704. CONSENT TO ASSISTED REPRODUCTION.
(a) Except as otherwise provided in subsection (b), the consent described in Section 703
must be in a record signed by a woman giving birth to a child conceived by assisted reproduction
and an individual who intends to be a parent of the child.
(b) Failure to consent in a record as required by subsection (a), before, on, or after birth
of the child, does not preclude the court from finding consent to parentage if:
(1) the woman or the individual proves by clear-and-convincing evidence the
existence of an express agreement entered into before conception that the individual and the
woman intended they both would be parents of the child; or
(2) the woman and the individual for the first two years of the child’s life,
including any period of temporary absence, resided together in the same household with the child
and both openly held out the child as the individual’s child, unless the individual dies or becomes
incapacitated before the child attains two years of age or the child dies before the child attains
two years of age, in which case the court may find consent under this subsection to parentage if a
party proves by clear-and-convincing evidence that the woman and the individual intended to
reside together in the same household with the child and both intended the individual would
openly hold out the child as the individual’s child, but the individual was prevented from
carrying out that intent by death or incapacity.

Yoda fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Aug 7, 2018

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
is it actually a crime to collude with Russia to post memes on Facebook? We're not at war with them or anything

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Dumb question: What happens when, upon being asked to swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, etc., somebody says ‘No?’

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

VanSandman posted:

Dumb question: What happens when, upon being asked to swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, etc., somebody says ‘No?’

Ianal but probably contempt until you agree?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Uh, probably depends upon if you are being compelled to give testimony or not. In theory. In practice then if they have you in the box and you refuse then that's probably contempt.

Austen Tassletine
Nov 5, 2010
Doesn't one of your amendments give you the right to not answer?

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Austen Tassletine posted:

An actual lawyer will have a real answer but that's about self incrimination

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

You can say that your testimony will tend to incriminate you, and plead the fifth amendment

The government can offer you immunity to get around that (see e.g. Mueller's requests for use-immunity in the Manafort case) in which case you are required to testify, since you are no longer able to be 'incriminated' by your own testimony

Austen Tassletine
Nov 5, 2010
What if the suspect refuses to request or accept immunity? Could the government just impose it on them, thereby removing their option to not testify?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

What if the suspect refuses to request or accept immunity? Could the government just impose it on them, thereby removing their option to not testify?

Yes, hence t he "compelled testimony" from that wikipedia article

quote:

the Supreme Court held that the government need only grant use immunity to compel testimony.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Yes, that's what happened to several witnesses in the Manafort case.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

There is an exception for marriage - you can't be forced to testify against your spouse in a criminal case. But that's it, AFAIK.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

KillHour posted:

There is an exception for marriage - you can't be forced to testify against your spouse in a criminal case. But that's it, AFAIK.

As I remember it, In Criminal proceedings either spouse can invoke the Marital privilege for themselves or against the other whereas in Civil cases, one spouse can choose to waive the privilege.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

blarzgh posted:

As I remember it, In Criminal proceedings either spouse can invoke the Marital privilege for themselves or against the other whereas in Civil cases, one spouse can choose to waive the privilege.

It varies, and also depends on whether it's Communications privilege (e.g. private statements made before or during the marriage) or Testimonial privilege (e.g. I saw my husband bury that hooker).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spousal_privilege#United_States

quote:

Under U.S. federal common law, the spousal testimonial privilege is held by the witness-spouse, not the party-spouse, and therefore does not prevent a spouse who wishes to testify from doing so. The rationale of this rule is that if a witness-spouse desires to testify against the party-spouse, there is no marital harmony left to protect through the obstruction of such testimony. This common law principle is the view in a minority of U.S. states. A majority of U.S. jurisdictions, however, do not follow U.S. federal common law; in most states, the party-spouse, and not the witness-spouse, is the holder of spousal testimonial privilege.

If you're in a state that follows the federal common law, let's hope that you didn't piss off your wife when you "allegedly" killed that hooker

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

blarzgh posted:

The person above me explained it well, but the reason I know this is it was an example bar exam question on a recent episode of Opening Arguments, which y'all should listen to.

That's it; I just wanted to plug my favorite legal podcast (Yes I listen to multiple legal podcasts. I'm a nerd.)

Edit: According to that episode, spousal testimonial privilege doesn't exist federally in civil court. So don't let them know about all the times you over bill clients, either.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Aug 7, 2018

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

My bar association just published a procedure and evidence manual for small claims court. Too bad it’s not available digitally for this thread. Rip.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

euphronius posted:

My bar association just published a procedure and evidence manual for small claims court. Too bad it’s not available digitally for this thread. Rip.

Is it available via woodcut, or have they gotten with the times to movable type

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Look at this tho. It’s like distilled this thread

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

euphronius posted:

What's the most interesting evidentiary practice that is unique to PA magisterial district courts

Do they allow testimony by horses yes/no

Edit: This is obviously assuming a reasonably practiced Horse Ventriloquist a la Mister Ed, or stomping-hoof horse witness

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
We've talked about this before, but I really don't understand why anyone would even bother to appear as defendant in small claims court if it's not a court of record.

It seems like a waste of your own time or, worse, free billable hours for your attorney.

Obviously don't be dumb and miss your chance to appeal, but before that why not just use it as an opportunity to see if the plaintiff just decides to gently caress off.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

euphronius posted:

South Carolina doesn't require the magistrate judges to have any qualifications beyond a high school diploma.

https://www.sccourts.org/summaryCourtBenchBook/

https://www.scbar.org/media/filer_public/9c/29/9c290707-9ff2-4780-a78e-6928b9f57a22/magistrate_court_guide_2016.pdf

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Question for anyone who has knowledge of UK intellectual property litigation: is there any sort of formal procedural interaction between Part 63 of the Civil Procedure Rules and applying for a declaration of non-infringement under s.71 of the Patent Act?

I appreciate that might be poorly-articulated and I'll try to clarify if need be; I was doing some reading on this today and realised that Part 63 just doesn't mention declarations of non-infringement at all.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

Question for anyone who has knowledge of UK intellectual property litigation: is there any sort of formal procedural interaction between Part 63 of the Civil Procedure Rules and applying for a declaration of non-infringement under s.71 of the Patent Act?

I appreciate that might be poorly-articulated and I'll try to clarify if need be; I was doing some reading on this today and realised that Part 63 just doesn't mention declarations of non-infringement at all.

quote:

Part 63
Starting the claim
63.5 Claims to which this Section applies must be started-

(a) by a Part 7 claim form; or

You start a claim under the normal process. The first thing that happens is a case management conference where the parties agree with the judge what the timetable and necessary actions are for bringing the case to trial.

There are pre-action protocols (read here: https://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/procedure-rules/civil/rules/pd_pre-action_conduct) which are basically an exchange of letters over several weeks with set deadlines where you say "hey, you owe me this or I'll sue" and they respond with "oops, here you go" or "you are incredibly mistaken, here is why". Intellectual Property claims don't fall under the list of claims where you have to follow the protocol but it's considered best practise and good manners to do so and you will piss off a judge if you don't without a good reason (usually it's "I need to start with an emergency injunction without notice").

e: PS. whatever you are thinking of doing it is a terrible idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's just personal curiosity. I was doing some general reading recently on defences to a patent infringement claim and was curious how a declaration of non-infringement could factor in on the procedural side since it wasn't mentioned in the CPR.