Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Powershift posted:

https://i.imgur.com/sxb9Rm2.mp4

how do you say fuuuuuuuuuuuck fuckfuckfuckfuckfuck in russian?

I don't know much more Russian than I hear in this thread, but I'm given to understand that it would be "blyat, blyat, blyat, blyyyyaaaaaaaat"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

SelenicMartian posted:

Is asbestos going to become safe in the US now?

As the daughter of a former WR Grace employee from Libby... loving hell, I hope not.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Mozi posted:

no i was looking at the statue's suspiciously placed hands

"Check out Moai nuts!"

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

null_pointer posted:

You would be amazed at how often I ask this and get the full backstory.

Maybe I jump to conclusions too soon and the burn ward wasn't involved at all and he just lost his eyebrows. Now I want the backstory too!

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SelenicMartian posted:

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

SelenicMartian posted:

Yes!
https://twitter.com/archpaper/status/1026587385042292737

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Rename the disease to MAGAthelioma

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Donaldom Trampom

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I love how every single drat video I've ever seen where someone has some sort of highly flammable liquid in a container that catches on fire their first reaction is always to frantically start pouring the liquid over as large a surface area as possible. They never just calmly put it down, they always chuck it or shake it so flaming fuel goes absolutely everywhere.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Baronjutter posted:

I love how every single drat video I've ever seen where someone has some sort of highly flammable liquid in a container that catches on fire their first reaction is always to frantically start pouring the liquid over as large a surface area as possible. They never just calmly put it down, they always chuck it or shake it so flaming fuel goes absolutely everywhere.

I can't find it right now but my favorite example of this was the guy who had a flaming gas canister, and he starts spinning the loving thing around, spiraling big flaming arcs of gasoline all around him. He does at least 2 or 3 full rotations before he abandons that brilliant plan

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I can't find it right now but my favorite example of this was the guy who had a flaming gas canister, and he starts spinning the loving thing around, spiraling big flaming arcs of gasoline all around him. He does at least 2 or 3 full rotations before he abandons that brilliant plan

I think it was a cop too.

Also I love when flaming liquid canister isn't even in their hands, it's like sitting in the middle of a sandbox or somewhere harmless and they could just wait for it to burn out, and their reaction is to suddenly kick it or hit it with something. Human panic reactions are really not compatible with fire.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Not quite the same, but still a favorite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA5V78NC1mM

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Say Nothing posted:

So much stupid.

So the guy on top was there on purpose? wtf kind of test is this? Will I burn in these normal clothes test?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Wait, are those roofing panels? Are those made of asbestos?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

PittTheElder posted:

I don't know much more Russian than I hear in this thread, but I'm given to understand that it would be "blyat, blyat, blyat, blyyyyaaaaaaaat"

Russians always respond in one of two ways:

1. "Blyat"

2. Absolute dead silence

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sininu posted:

Asbestos impregnated plastic (or concrete). Works really well, is super durable, and sheds asbestos fibres for its entire hundred year expected life.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Sininu posted:

Asbestos roof panels were used a whole loving lot during the 70s and 80s all over Europe (not sure about the US), and despite asbestos being banned 25 years ago, there are still thousands and thousands of houses everywhere that still have those panels, all too often without the house owners knowing that they have them on their roof.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Germansimp posted:

Asbestos roof panels were used a whole loving lot during the 70s and 80s all over Europe (not sure about the US), and despite asbestos being banned 25 years ago, there are still thousands and thousands of houses everywhere that still have those panels, all too often without the house owners knowing that they have them on their roof.

Those were used on all the buildings in my grandma's farm, I only now found out what they actually were made of.

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

EoRaptor posted:

Asbestos impregnated plastic (or concrete). Works really well, is super durable, and sheds asbestos fibres for its entire hundred year expected life.

Transite paneling isn't too bad, I'm doing asbestos air monitoring in a structure with corrugated transite walls that are 35% chrysotile and there's not much to worry about even when directly loving with them. High temperature/high pressure insulation, on the other hand, can be like 80% amosite and that stuff is a pain in the rear end.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

But the issue isn't only when the building is in fair shape, what about when things start to degrade? What about when people start doing work on the house? Fire, hurricane, tornado etc etc, obviously natural disasters are immediately dangerous, but then is that going to throw all this poo poo around and cause us a loving nightmare of a cleanup?

I don't know a lot about asbestos other than "poo poo can kill you, really slowly and painfully"

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of asbestos, the local fire department burned down an old house here recently as a training exercise and now folks are up in arms because apparently it had asbestos and now the union is pissed. Whoops.

https://wtkr.com/2018/06/04/concerns-over-possible-asbestos-exposure-during-virginia-beach-firefighter-training-session/

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

MF_James posted:

But the issue isn't only when the building is in fair shape, what about when things start to degrade? What about when people start doing work on the house? Fire, hurricane, tornado etc etc, obviously natural disasters are immediately dangerous, but then is that going to throw all this poo poo around and cause us a loving nightmare of a cleanup?

I don't know a lot about asbestos other than "poo poo can kill you, really slowly and painfully"

That's why it's important to get your suspect materials tested so you know what's safe to gently caress with and what isn't. On a long enough timeline, an asbestos fiber that made it down to your pleura or whatever WILL develop a tumor and kill your rear end. It's just that it's a LOT more likely something else will kill you first, unless you're breathing in thousands of fibers with each breath doing poo poo like stripping pipe insulation or working in an asbestos mill without any kind of relevant PPE. Or exposing your kids to the material by giving them a big hug when you get home from work in your dusty-rear end clothes, since growing lungs seem to be especially susceptible.

It's generally safe if it's used in specific applications where everyone knows what it is, where it is, and how to handle it properly. If it's not used like that, it gets really dangerous, really fast.

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Also if you're gonna do your own brakes I recommend treading real loving carefully. All those dudes at Midas or whatever are probably hosed already.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Nerses IV posted:

That's why it's important to get your suspect materials tested so you know what's safe to gently caress with and what isn't. On a long enough timeline, an asbestos fiber that made it down to your pleura or whatever WILL develop a tumor and kill your rear end. It's just that it's a LOT more likely something else will kill you first, unless you're breathing in thousands of fibers with each breath doing poo poo like stripping pipe insulation or working in an asbestos mill without any kind of relevant PPE. Or exposing your kids to the material by giving them a big hug when you get home from work in your dusty-rear end clothes, since growing lungs seem to be especially susceptible.

It's generally safe if it's used in specific applications where everyone knows what it is, where it is, and how to handle it properly. If it's not used like that, it gets really dangerous, really fast.

Yeah don't trust these fuckers to get any of that right.

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mustached Demon posted:

Yeah don't trust these fuckers to get any of that right.

More asbestos products means more asbestos mining, and those guys definitely don't care

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Speaking of asbestos, the local fire department burned down an old house here recently as a training exercise and now folks are up in arms because apparently it had asbestos and now the union is pissed. Whoops.

https://wtkr.com/2018/06/04/concerns-over-possible-asbestos-exposure-during-virginia-beach-firefighter-training-session/

Pfft, impossible. If there were asbestos they wouldn't have been able to burn it down

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Also isn't one of the dangers of asbestos the fact that the timeframe isn't certain? The fibers are small and sharp enough to slip into DNA and mess it up, you don't know when or if that's going to cause a tumor. Sure, if all safety regulations are being followed it's unlikely to cause a tumor in a timeframe that matters, but not impossible, right?

I know that a lot of things are carcinogenic so you could make that same argument about a lot of stuff, but asbestos has a uniquely destructive mechanism for causing cancer. And since Trump has openly said he wants to cut 75% of safety regulations in order to 'stimulate the economy' (line his own pockets bc he doesn't have to care about employee safety anymore), it makes the reintroduction of new asbestos construction material very very worrying. Making sure everything is handled to the top degree of safety is not what he cares about because it costs money.

EDIT: Question for people who know more about asbestos than I do, how do you safely dispose of it if you've determined the substrate it's in is degrading and it's no longer safe?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

PetraCore posted:

EDIT: Question for people who know more about asbestos than I do, how do you safely dispose of it if you've determined the substrate it's in is degrading and it's no longer safe?

You seal up the building with plastic wrap, go inside wearing hazmat suits, rip the stuff out while spraying it with water to keep down the dust, and seal it in hazardous waste drums. At the hazmat site, it will be mixed with cement to keep it in one solid block, then buried.

In other words, put it back where it came from

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

can jet fuel melt asbestos? mythbusters, you were taken off the air too soon

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Stexils posted:

can jet fuel melt asbestos?

Asbestos will not dissolve in jet fuel, but it will explode on contact with chlorine trifluoride.

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sagebrush posted:

You seal up the building with plastic wrap, go inside wearing hazmat suits, rip the stuff out while spraying it with water to keep down the dust, and seal it in hazardous waste drums. At the hazmat site, it will be mixed with cement to keep it in one solid block, then buried.

In other words, put it back where it came from

There's places that do vitrification and fry it until it's harmless, but that's expensive. I've also heard of using acid to destroy the fibers, but that involves spraying everything down with HF and personally I will take my chances with the asbestos. But yeah, generally for a household-scale job you're doing yourself, get some tyvek coveralls, a half face mask with P100 filters (the P100 part is important), the biggest spray bottle you can find full of soapy water, duct tape plastic sheeting over anything you want to keep, and go to town. The important thing is keeping the dust to a minimum (preferably zero) and not vacuuming anything, because anything short of a HEPA vac purposefully built for asbestos abatement will be pretty leaky, and personally I don't trust those either.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

i dont think i would do household scale jobs with asbestos under any conditions, thats poo poo you pay for 100 percent of the time

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Asbestos is a silicate, so anything that can melt sand into glass can do it. A jet-fuel-fired refractory furnace with forced air should be able to do it no problem.

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Stexils posted:

i dont think i would do household scale jobs with asbestos under any conditions, thats poo poo you pay for 100 percent of the time

For non-friable stuff like 9x9 floor tiles, you could do it at home no problem as long as you do some research and keep other people out of your work area until everything is cleaned up. Removing an ACM popcorn ceiling? Get someone who knows what they're doing, and be prepared to pay a shitload for it

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Germansimp posted:

Yeah the tiles on my roof were asbestos concrete from the 80s, I think the early Eternit brand ones and it's very common to find them still. The guy that verified it said "I can tell straight away as you get more/less lichen (I forget which) on them than others" he basically said that as long as you don't grind them up and snort them you're fine and the roof was replaced later anyway (the builders probably threw them in a skip....).

Regular air pollution is probably more dangerous to be honest.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

It took me a third or fourth look to realize that that kei-pickup wasn't parked in front of an equally tiny garage.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Boogalo posted:

Asbestos will not dissolve in jet fuel, but it will explode on contact with chlorine trifluoride.

OK sure, but here is also a list of things that won't explode on contact with chlorine trifluoride:

That is all.

Also it gives off clouds of hot hydrofluoric acid if it comes into contact with water.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

"He parked really close to that- "

:stare:

:catstare:

:catbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/russian-asbestos-trump_face/

"The US has legalized asbestos again and Russia is making it with pictures of President Donald Trump's face stamped on it" is the stupidest timeline.