Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

So if these books are subversive, why do they feature a race of universally evil subhumans? Isn't that like the first thing you're expected to "subvert" if you're trying to avoid genre fantasy cliches?

Or is Abercrombie subverting subversion?

He sort of subverts a trope with the Shanka by not having them be the spawn the any great evil (like Melkor in LotR) but rather humanoid-hybrid creations made by an old recluse to use against his brother. They're the leftovers of one of these petty fights as opposed to footsoldiers in a great battle between good and evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Please elaborate, I'm interested

Marshall McLuhan posted:

Today when we want to get our bearings in our own culture, and have need to stand aside from the bias and pressure exerted by any technical form of human expression, we have only to visit a society where that particular form has not been felt, or a historical period in which it was unknown. Professor Wilbur Schramm made such a tactical move in studying Television in the Lives of Our Children. He found areas where TV had not penetrated at all and ran some tests. Since he had made no study of the peculiar nature of the TV image, his tests were of “content” preferences, viewing time, and vocabulary counts. In a word, his approach to the problem was a literary one, albeit unconsciously so. Consequently, he had nothing to report. Had his methods been employed in 1500 a.d. to discover the effects of the printed book in the lives of children or adults, he could have found out nothing of the changes in human and social psychology resulting from typography. Print created individualism and nationalism in the sixteenth century. Program and “content” analysis offer no clues to the magic of these media or to their subliminal charge.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Ccs posted:

He sort of subverts a trope with the Shanka by not having them be the spawn the any great evil (like Melkor in LotR) but rather humanoid-hybrid creations made by an old recluse to use against his brother. They're the leftovers of one of these petty fights as opposed to footsoldiers in a great battle between good and evil.

Well gently caress a doodle doo

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Okay so read McLuhan, well, he was on the list anyway, but thanks.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Well gently caress a doodle doo

I'm sorry it doesn't meet your qualifications of a worthy subversion.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
You better be.

packsmack
Jan 6, 2013
I'm re-reading heroes now because I read the link that was posted, before Botl resurrected the thread again, with Abercrombie discussing what he thought of each book. I forgot how big the cast was. It's kind of hilarious to me that this is supposed to be the most focused book. And it definitely is focused thematically. I'm liking how he is always bringing it back to being a hero and everything so far, but I'm afraid it's going to grow old as my read through progressrs, I'm only like 1/4 through right now.

As far my favorite part is curnden craw and the juxtaposition of his internal monologue with his actions. Really subverts the badass barbarian chief.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
There's nothing "subverted" when the book literally starts with him complaining about being too old for this poo poo. That's cliche as gently caress.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jul 14, 2018

Robot Danger
Mar 18, 2012
You're cliché as gently caress.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

packsmack posted:

I'm re-reading heroes now because I read the link that was posted, before Botl resurrected the thread again, with Abercrombie discussing what he thought of each book. I forgot how big the cast was. It's kind of hilarious to me that this is supposed to be the most focused book. And it definitely is focused thematically. I'm liking how he is always bringing it back to being a hero and everything so far, but I'm afraid it's going to grow old as my read through progressrs, I'm only like 1/4 through right now.

As far my favorite part is curnden craw and the juxtaposition of his internal monologue with his actions. Really subverts the badass barbarian chief.

I remember liking The Heroes but the only characters I can remember from it are the ones also in the original trilogy. Most of the new characters he introduced didn't make much of a lasting impression.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live

Ccs posted:

I remember liking The Heroes but the only characters I can remember from it are the ones also in the original trilogy. Most of the new characters he introduced didn't make much of a lasting impression.

Tunny is the best character in Abercrombie's entire body of work.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
And he's a poor man's Švejk, which says it all.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

And he's a poor man's Švejk, which says it all.

So do you only read unfinished novels or what? This, Man Without Qualities...

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Ccs posted:

So do you only read unfinished novels or what? This, Man Without Qualities...

Correct, but it is easier than it sounds. Before I read a completed novel, I forcefully rend the last fifty pages or so from it.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
must make animorphs unintelligible

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

must make animorphs unintelligible

mostly its just about kids in school before they get ready to go on a covert mission.

true story: cassie, the nerdy horse-girl, was my first crush

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Coincidentally, my first crush was a horse

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
My first sexual experience involved me being crushed by a horse.

I wonder if my Secret Service bodyguards will let me post this

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I'm a horse

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up

Coincidentally, my first crush was a horse

I feel bad for the horse

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Suxpool posted:

Tunny is the best character in Abercrombie's entire body of work.
Hah, I forget about Tunny. He was great.

Who is Svejk?

Even arch-hack Tolkien thought that a race of universally evil subhumans was an artistic and intellectual failure
Hi I'd like to pull at this thread! I've heard people talk about how the orcs are like genetically evil, didn't know Tolkien had a take on this himself.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

VagueRant posted:

Who is Svejk?

Shows what you know.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

lmao if you don't know your 1920s czech literature you ignorant fool

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Shows what you know.
Yeah, I don't know, that's why I asked you. :)

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

VagueRant posted:

Yeah, I don't know, that's why I asked you. :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Good_Soldier_%C5%A0vejk

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live
Svejk is an obnoxious rear end in a top hat's Tunny basically

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Seems weird to ask that when google exists, to me

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Joe ragging on some authors and possibly himself.

https://twitter.com/LordGrimdark/status/1026884136752037888

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Ccs posted:

Joe ragging on some authors and possibly himself.

https://twitter.com/LordGrimdark/status/1026884136752037888

Joe's awkward sex scenes are the best.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003
But can he top the awkwardness of the Monza/Shivers scene in Best Served Cold?!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Xenix posted:

But can he top the awkwardness of the Monza/Shivers scene in Best Served Cold?!

I sure hope he tries.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib
Duke what'shisname asking Monza to piss on him in Best Served Cold is one of the funniest bits in all the books.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib
Also, Steve Pacey's voice acting of Logan and Ferro deserves and Oscar or whatever they give to audiobook narrators. "Unf, Unph. Mmmm"

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
So did anyone think of any sensible reason at all why the "subversive" fantasy series has orcs in it? Orcs, mind you, that are even more straight-forwardly evil and monstrous than Tolkien's specimens?

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

There's nothing "subverted" when the book literally starts with him complaining about being too old for this poo poo. That's cliche as gently caress.

I don’t know your posts well, but you seem like someone I might have met in grad school who would occasionally show up in a Political Theory course thinking they were way smarter than they actually were because they were accepted into a top ranked comp lit program.

So, just for the record, you come off as someone who is kind of smart, but not nearly as smart as they think they are who choses to be a complete asshat based on their false assumption they are smarter than everyone in the room, when really they are only smarter than half the people in the room. Less than half if the room is a graduate level seminar in a PhD program.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Aug 17, 2018

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Oh no someone got orcs all over my fantasy book.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Just look at his rap sheet and carry on.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
BotL is quite often trolling, or is maybe just an rear end in a top hat. He does occasionally say something interesting so I'd still read his posts even if most of it is probably intentional exaggeration and distortion.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

He just wrote a big takedown of Abercrombie’s books in the Bonfire of the Genresthread if you guys wanna read that.
I’d say that Joe didn’t set out to write the first law out of a desire to subvert all fantasy tropes. He chose some to subvert and kept others that he liked or fit with the plot. The result is him writing a fantasy book to his tastes instead of a project that seeks to overturn all fantasy conventions forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up

Ccs posted:

He just wrote a big takedown of Abercrombie’s books in the Bonfire of the Genresthread if you guys wanna read that.

Nah I'll pass