Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The adaptive brightness is way too sensitive now on my xl1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Calaveron posted:

The adaptive brightness is way too sensitive now on my xl1

Make sure you keep adjusting it to what you want the level to be based on the ambient light. It's supposed to eventually learn what you want and I suspect when it does that it will calm down.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I guess I misunderstood the point of Android One, I thought they got updates just like a Pixel phone but here my Nokia 6.1 is still telling me that it's up to date on 8.1. :(

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Daily Forecast posted:

I guess I misunderstood the point of Android One, I thought they got updates just like a Pixel phone but here my Nokia 6.1 is still telling me that it's up to date on 8.1. :(

The point of Android One is that you're guaranteed to get updates at all (and in a somewhat timely fashion), it's not something that's always on the bleeding edge by any means tho.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, so I understand, now. Oh well, I hope Nokia isn't too slow to push the update.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

They shouldn't be, they've had P in beta for awhile. Unless something major comes up, I think there's a pretty good chance of it coming out this month.

I'm still wowed by Essential though, day and date with Google is impressive and it makes me very sad they aren't doing more phones.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I finally got it, guys. I FINALLY GOT IT! Its only 45.5mb I guess seeing I'm coming from the beta. But its certainly not installing as fast as some people have said.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I figured out what's bugging me about the gesture navigation stuff!

When I swipe right from home to switch apps, a quick swipe & release only rarely brings me to what I expect it to: the previous app. It seems to put me in whatever app is next (to the left) in the task switcher. I've tested by closing apps and opening and using others.

Is it a bug? Am I not supposed to be using that gesture? Am I being a/b'd? Guess I'll come back to it in a while and see if I like it then.

This navigation was really sweet otherwise.

Made a shortcut to sound settings on my home screen just like back in the good old days, but this time it's to change the ring volume, not the media volume.

Pie has been pretty good to me otherwise. Glad I got it so soon.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

A swipe right switches apps the same as the old double tap did every single time here?

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Skarsnik posted:

A swipe right switches apps the same as the old double tap did every single time here?

Yeah that's why I'm so annoyed; it's not working like it should.

But it probably was something I did

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

codo27 posted:

I finally got it, guys. I FINALLY GOT IT! Its only 45.5mb I guess seeing I'm coming from the beta. But its certainly not installing as fast as some people have said.

Just got mine too. It's 1130MB from O

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The control bar with the gestures active is a little disorienting but not bad, I like the volume slider.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

effika posted:

Your thumb moves to the right, e.g. swiping the screen "back" (left) to the previous app.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

FAUXTON posted:

The control bar with the gestures active is a little disorienting but not bad, I like the volume slider.

I'm fine with the volume slider now that they decided to make it ignore your first input and just bring up the dialog.

It was annoying two previews ago because it would move on any press which meant there was no way to being up the dialog without changing the volume.

Sent from my iPad
Jun 19, 2000

It's been the better part of a decade and Google still hasn't figured out that people who manually check for software updates want to actually get those updates.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Sent from my iPad posted:

It's been the better part of a decade and Google still hasn't figured out that people who manually check for software updates want to actually get those updates.

I don't think this is true.

It seems like the vast majority of people who check are getting it and that was never the case before.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
Yeah, when the update was announced yesterday my phone said no update available. Telling it to check for update made it pop up. Seemed to work for me anyway. Same for my wife.

Verizon OG Pixel and Pixel XL for whatever that's worth.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Polling for the update can work if you are already queued up to receive the update.

Hitting the check update still has no influence if your aren't flagged as ready to get it yet. That was part of a beta play services update that I still don't think has made it into stable yet.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Why is there a clock in my notifications area?

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I thought I'd hate it but I kinda like left clock. my eyes naturally go there after 8 years of clearing notifications

I don't really like the changes to the notification shade though,it's a bit ugly and I don't like how the notifications minimise when you pull it all the way down

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'll get used to the Pie UI changes, but this is the first time in, well I think ever, that I feel like the UI has become worse with a new Android version.

Blue is my favorite color, but its return everywhere in the UI is just odd. For example, the volume. Why is the toggle button and volume slider blue, but the settings cog is grey?

Why do we switch to all rainbow of colors in the full settings list?

Why does the top of the shade stay black when it's pulled down?

Why is the battery percentage placed to the right of the icon when the shade is pulled down, causing the battery icon itself to shift left rather than just keep the percentage at the left and having the battery stay put?

Gesture UI. When you are in an app, quick flick up to get task switcher and then fully open drawer. If your close the drawer your stay in the app. However, if you open the app drawer in one smooth motion and then close it, you get dumped to the home screen.

Everything about the UI changes feel like an early beta at this point, rough and unpolished.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Also now I can't pull down the shade and access my alarm clock by clicking on the icon that shows me what it's set to. Aaaarrgghh Google!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
With the new task switcher, is there a way to quick switch to the last app? That is 99% of my use case for the task switcher.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Internet Explorer posted:

Also now I can't pull down the shade and access my alarm clock by clicking on the icon that shows me what it's set to. Aaaarrgghh Google!

Click the time (top left clock) after pulling down the shade.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

strap on revenge posted:

I thought I'd hate it but I kinda like left clock. my eyes naturally go there after 8 years of clearing notifications

It's making me think I have notifications when I see it out of the corner of my eye!

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Uthor posted:

With the new task switcher, is there a way to quick switch to the last app? That is 99% of my use case for the task switcher.

Swipe right from the "home" button.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Bandire posted:

:hfive:

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Bandire posted:

Also, if you swipe right but don't release, you can continue to "nudge" right to scroll through more apps. Essentially the same as swiping up to bring up the switcher screen, but I find it a little quicker.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

incogneato posted:

Also, if you swipe right but don't release, you can continue to "nudge" right to scroll through more apps. Essentially the same as swiping up to bring up the switcher screen, but I find it a little quicker.

And if you overshoot you can slide back. Basically a quick swipe goes to your last used, and swipe+hold lets you scan through the list.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

incogneato posted:

Click the time (top left clock) after pulling down the shade.

Aha! Thank you.

Uthor posted:

It's making me think I have notifications when I see it out of the corner of my eye!

Yeah, this is my problem with something being on the left of the bar as well. I always keep my bar clear and now I actually have to look to see what is in that space and not just that it's empty. I'll get used to it over time but it seems silly when there's still room on the right. Also, like, stuff on the right has the general theme of being more permanent statuses and notifications are ephemeral in nature. Why put the clock there? It's always some time.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Internet Explorer posted:

you can access this by tapping the actual clock in the top left from the notification shade which is a bit unintuitive but at least it's there

e: should have refreshed the thread

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/08/07/pixel-3-will-gesture-navigation-no-option-standard-nav-buttons/

Android Central changed their wording to suggest that Google WON'T make gesture navigation the only navigation on P3 onward, just that it will be on by default where as it will be off by default on devices that upgraded to P.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Turning off auto-rotate gives you a sensor-based toggle in the place where the app switcher button used to be.

My phone is sideways in this screenshot, hence the rather tall-looking toggle since it's on it's side in the screenshot.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

effika posted:

Nah, I'm seeing it too. A lot of times the Play Store is the "other" app I switch to, rather than whatever it actually should be. It's pretty unreliable for me. I've also had a couple times where the task switcher is just blank except for the app I was just in.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
The update is lovely and as i mentioned before i just did a factory reset to make it Fast Again. But was wondering if the benefits of a reset come from starting completely from scratch (ie not restoring to a backup that google provides) or does restoring not matter?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

FAUXTON posted:

Turning off auto-rotate gives you a sensor-based toggle in the place where the app switcher button used to be.

My phone is sideways in this screenshot, hence the rather tall-looking toggle since it's on it's side in the screenshot.

This and gesture nav are nice quality of life improvements. If it helps my battery life then even better.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
I am not looking forward to the gesture based future of Android. It's hard enough writing employee training documentation for the Note 5 (most people don't know what "home button" even means. I can't imagine the kind of language gymnastics I'm going to have to use to teach people how to do the various gestures???

Anyways, I take it you guys are enjoying the update? I have a Oneplus 3T so 8.1 or whatever is the end of the road for me :( :(

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

64bit_Dophins posted:

Anyways, I take it you guys are enjoying the update? I have a Oneplus 3T so 8.1 or whatever is the end of the road for me :( :(

Custom rom time

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Bandire posted:

It's annoying how slow the animations are on this. It takes like 3 times longer than the old double tap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Got the update today on my Pixel 2XL. More of an incremental upgrade over Oreo if anything. The swipe menu button is growing on me. I miss being able to swipe up from anywhere to bring up the app drawer or whatever they call it. One thing I did notice that's new but hasn't been mentioned much is that a little magnified pop up bubble cones up when moving the cursor in a line of text now, like iOS has been doing for years. Did a patent expire or something?

Split screen is a hot mess now compared to Oreo. Too many things to do to get it going and YouTube stops playing while I'm splitting the screen and opening the other app. I hope they fix it because it seems like a relatively simple thing to fix.

I don't like how status bar items jump all over the place depending on whether you swipe down once or twice. It feels like they have sacrificed a lot of UI consistency to accommodate phone notches.

Overall, I would call it more of a side grade than an upgrade. At least it seems to be running well, which is more than I can say for most new versions of iOS.