Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Bought terraria on steam sale for 2 euros. before 1.2. Steam says I got 1080 hours on it Now. Aint no game that can beat that price/funtime record unless terraria 2 comes out at 95% sale on release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

grimcreaper posted:

Final fantasy 7 should have been lost before its first released. It was a bad game. Final fantasy 8 was solid gold though.

Grimcreaped again???

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Kalas posted:

I think I paid $20 for Terraria when it came out, though I'm not sure if I got my value from it.

I bought it on sale for like $2 or something like a billion years ago. It was like "oh it's that Terraria game people are talking about. Guess I'll buy it."

I actually feel kind of bad for not paying full price I've played it so much. It's a very good game.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Shamefully, I only have 200 hours. But I just reinstalled it, so...

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I don't remember buying Terraria at all, think I must have gotten it in a bundle or Christmas sale 7 years ago or so. Not sure why, I don't particularly like platformers or Minecraft, which is all I knew about the game at the time.

Been playing it a lot this year.
Definitely odd to buy a game but only enjoy it after almost a decade of updates and mods. Maybe it's finally time to play New Vegas after this.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

If you showed 7 years ago me the Terraria of now I'd tell you I'd pay $50 for the thing

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Grimcreaped again???

He's right. About 8 being fine.

The problem with 8 is that people got the refining system wrong and that all the neat things about it are hidden because the game's built like you're constantly six steps away from the final boss so you've gotta go back to SEED and talk to every NPC for all of the cool parts to show up.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Solumin posted:

Good for you! I'm glad that convinced you to use something like GitHub. Sorry for derailing the thread a bit.

The number of old games that can't be rereleased because the source code is just lost is staggering. Final Fantasy 7, for example. The PC release is the 1998 binary wrapped in a program that provides drivers and DRM. (Allegedly, anyway, I can't find a solid source for this.)

I had no idea that losing source code was so epidemic. I'd heard of it happening, of course, but I always assumed that it was due to legal bullshit, accident/technical failure or just man's infinite neglect. I used to be a (bad) programmer when I was much younger and I still have the source code to AMSs (Asset Management Systems) that I wrote over a decade ago.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I'm writing a dissertation right now and coding the document in LaTeX. I can't find the source code to the previous dissertation I wrote and don't really remember how to use LaTeX. I guess that stuff and even my notes and stuff ought to go on GitHub too from now on.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

RareAcumen posted:

He's right. About 8 being fine.

The problem with 8 is that people got the refining system wrong and that all the neat things about it are hidden because the game's built like you're constantly six steps away from the final boss so you've gotta go back to SEED and talk to every NPC for all of the cool parts to show up.
But this isn't a Final Fantasy thread and it's not even relevant to begin with so this is just your standard Grimcreaping anyway.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I thought the problem with FF7 was they had lost the original (uncompressed) art assets.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

JustJeff88 posted:

I had no idea that losing source code was so epidemic. I'd heard of it happening, of course, but I always assumed that it was due to legal bullshit, accident/technical failure or just man's infinite neglect. I used to be a (bad) programmer when I was much younger and I still have the source code to AMSs (Asset Management Systems) that I wrote over a decade ago.

Over a long enough period of time, the probability of all of things rapidly approaches 100%. Final Fantasy 7 first came out over twenty years ago.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

ItBreathes posted:

I thought the problem with FF7 was they had lost the original (uncompressed) art assets.

All 20 polygons of it?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

ItBreathes posted:

Yeah I couldn't find a citation for the lost source code. Still, losing art assets isn't much better.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Mining the back catalog didn't really become a thing in the industry before the early 2000s so a lot of places simply deleted everything shortly after shipping.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Main Paineframe posted:

Over a long enough period of time, the probability of all of things rapidly approaches 100%. Final Fantasy 7 first came out over twenty years ago.

Yes, but I would assume that big game companies would keep the code to their products on backup servers or behind doors made of mithral guarded by flame-spewing lions, or something to that respect. I wouldn't think that corporations would be cavalier about the stuff that makes them money.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

But this isn't a Final Fantasy thread and it's not even relevant to begin with so this is just your standard Grimcreaping anyway.

Where did skeletron touch you, friend? How many arms did he get inside of you to make you so bitter?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

JustJeff88 posted:

Yes, but I would assume that big game companies would keep the code to their products on backup servers or behind doors made of mithral guarded by flame-spewing lions, or something to that respect. I wouldn't think that corporations would be cavalier about the stuff that makes them money.

Most entertainment industries didn't see old content as an income stream for a long time. It's especially bad with TV, where a lot of old shows simply had the tapes reused. Bonus points for the fact that hard drive controllers go bad and formats go obsolete so it's often an active process to keep old code around.

Even if you can dredge up source code and original assets good luck getting the tool chain running on modern hardware. In the case of console games there might not even really be source code for much of it because that's an industry full of people who only started having any faith in compilers very recently. Good loving luck figuring out what someone's handmade asm hack from 20 years ago is for.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Some of what were considered the greatest films ever made simply can't be watched now. They literally don't exist. Some of the greatest actors of the silent film era can only be seen in a few scenes that have survived, if at all. There were times that entire libraries of TV shows were just dumped because nobody wanted to spend money storing them anymore when whoever owned them went bankrupt.

Do remember that for games there was a time that a $500,000 budget was enormous and games weren't expected to have a life beyond their current generation of console. Mostly you expected to release it and then never change it again, ever, so why keep the source code or original assets? Also note that this was a time before gigantic repositories of code were feasible. In the 1990's in particular hard drives were still measured in megabytes so it wasn't like today where you have cheap rear end terabytes easily accessible. Games were mostly distributed on physical media so you didn't expect to make modifications after release unless it was a PC game. Even then you didn't want to have to rely on patches and numerous updates. The game had to be playable right out the gate. For consoles you got one release, typically.

Of course now that storage is cheap as balls and you can still make money off of old media thanks to this here internet thing it's easier to justify storing things in redundant backups forever, you know, just in case.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

The HD re-release of Heroes of Might & Magic 3 doesn't feature the expansion packs, their source code just don't exist anymore

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

I Said No posted:

All 20 polygons of it?

No, the 2D assets. Primarily the scene backdrops were huge paintings.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Hell, nearly 100 of the first few seasons of Doctor Who don't exist in their original forms anymore. Some episodes are watchable because they've been pieced together from clips from radio/commercials or home recordings. I think at a couple points they've even had bounties for people if they could find lost footage. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Who_missing_episodes

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Interestingly I got hired once to help recover lost episodes of some classic shows once (like Friends) and the problem wasn't that the raw footage was gone, it was that the text files that described the edits to map raw footage onto finished episodes had vanished. This was due to wherever they were stored burning down when the King Kong ride caught on fire at Universal Studios. Yeah.

Anyway Imagine not bothering to make offsite backups of text files. I guess back in the 90's they never envisioned having to make an HD re-release of the show.

The process to automatically recover that data was insane. In most cases clips from the final show were just a couple seconds taken from one of like twelve re-dos of the same scene, with all the actors moving slightly differently but mostly identically. Our computer vision algorithm had to find the exact right moments of the exact right re-take. And it was never as simple as direct pixel comparisons, because the show had been downsampled significantly for the TV show, both by pixel count and by FPS, plus color-shifted, cropped to a tiny window of the whole shot, and scaled. It was a huge loving problem that all could have been prevented by keeping some small data files.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
The 90's and early 00's were very early "Modern technology" era and working in production as late as 2015, it doesn't surprise me that people weren't trying to really future-proof their assets. It's not really like most people can predict the thing they're currently working on is going to be a cult classic 20 years in the future.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Dumb Lowtax posted:

The process to automatically recover that data was insane. In most cases clips from the final show were just a couple seconds taken from one of like twelve re-dos of the same scene, with all the actors moving slightly differently but mostly identically.

Wanna watch the office master with fifteen straight takes of John Krasinski making the "Jim face". I bet that's what it feels like to go insane

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Shiiiiit I should get back into this game.

I played it to pieces like 7 years ago. The real question is if my map still exists somewhere

Spent a lot of time on that

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I'll bet you did, that poo poo rules

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

If you got the game on steam then it should have been saved into the cloud maybe?

Also nice

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Get back to me when you or someone else creates an nes box art Air Fortress in terraria

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Interestingly I got hired once to help recover lost episodes of some classic shows once (like Friends) and the problem wasn't that the raw footage was gone, it was that the text files that described the edits to map raw footage onto finished episodes had vanished. This was due to wherever they were stored burning down when the King Kong ride caught on fire at Universal Studios. Yeah.

Anyway Imagine not bothering to make offsite backups of text files. I guess back in the 90's they never envisioned having to make an HD re-release of the show.

That's really interesting. You're talking about the EDL (Edit Decision List), right? I forgot that they would / could be printed on paper. And you used software that re-constructed the episodes by processing all the takes and comparing them to the SD masters?

On topic - I love this game and I may just dive back in for another go. Gotta project peace through power from my log cabin fortress of doom.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Power Walrus posted:

That's really interesting. You're talking about the EDL (Edit Decision List), right? I forgot that they would / could be printed on paper. And you used software that re-constructed the episodes by processing all the takes and comparing them to the SD masters?

That's what they called them, yes, EDL's. The studios lost the EDLs in a fire and couldn't update their shows anymore, likely the same reason why Terraria can't update its older versions.

I got hired to bring the edit lists back from dead using Matlab, because Warner Bros. didn't want to pay people to manually do it. By the end of an internship I had made them a computer vision program that would very slowly find the probability that a clip from a finished episode matched a given clip in the original reel. I just had it try to recognize similar objects and track their similar motions and come up with a certainty of match score, and by the end I got it pretty accurate. But again, it was really slow. I'm sure it was nowhere near scalable enough to actually solve the problem and they probably just started from scratch again after I handed my code off.

Fun fact, they also wanted to re-purpose my project for Youtube plaigarism detection. It makes sense, given that whenever we manage to stream copyrighted films on GoonTube it's usually uploads that have been scaled, cropped, resampled, or recolored in subtle ways. You know, all the things my algorithm was designed to be agnostic to. I hope they never succeeded.

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Aug 8, 2018

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
It's kinda funny how so many people's first playthrough of this game end up going with the "huge chain linked to a floating island" theme.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Freakazoid_ posted:

It's kinda funny how so many people's first playthrough of this game end up going with the "huge chain linked to a floating island" theme.

I've got 800 hours in the game (I know lots in this thread have well over a thousand) and I will never not put my NPCs in their floating apartment gulag :colbert:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Welp, the Switch version got pushed back into 2019 so I wouldn't bet on seeing 1.3.6 this year.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Which transport system hardmode time do you folks use, minecarts or teleporters or ??

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Lorini posted:

Which transport system hardmode time do you folks use, minecarts or teleporters or ??

Wings, the sky's the limit.

And when the sky has really bad things in it (gently caress you centipedes) , teleporters really late game to hit the pillars for Moonlord.

Willheim Wordsworth
Dec 29, 2008

Lorini posted:

I like to have a minecart track already set up by the time I reach hardmode because I always play on Expert mode and the mechanical minecart is fast enough for my liking. I link the top and bottom of my hellevator with teleporters a lot more often than linking stuff horizontally.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Kalas posted:

Wings, the sky's the limit.

And when the sky has really bad things in it (gently caress you centipedes) , teleporters really late game to hit the pillars for Moonlord.

I have a balloon and bee's wings but it still seems slow.

Also got an Inferno Fork, worth switching to being a magic user? I'm currently using an upgraded Uzi with crystal bullets.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Drink a builder potion and equip any of the block placing accessories the travelling merchant sells and you can lay down a bunch of track super fast. I'd suggest running it just low enough to see the surface so you can spot strange plants for dyes to use or sell. If you decide to set up teleporters later you can just sit in the cart to lay the wire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Lorini posted:

I have a balloon and bee's wings but it still seems slow.

Also got an Inferno Fork, worth switching to being a magic user? I'm currently using an upgraded Uzi with crystal bullets.

Are you still using hermes boots/rocket boots upgrade line? It does help.

Magic is bigger hits, but a limited pool of energy. I sometimes try a caster, but usually stick with ranged. Bows and guns are too good in this game, and fun to use.

That being said, some of the later spells do pack a wallop.