Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Electric Hobo posted:

I don't thin the white at all, just crank up the pressure and it goes on no problem for me. I haven't tried the grey.

I spray the grey unthinned at 20-25 psi no problem. I did recently pick up some stynlrez and it does seem just sort of generally better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
I started on my AdMech Kill Team from the Starter Box and it's every nightmare painting scenario rolled into one with all the details on these jerks. I want a richer purple on their robes but the Army Painter purples I have go on like crap, and I used Vallejo Royal Purple and edge highlighted with Vallejo Blue Violet. If someone wants to recommend a different purple please do.

I know I need to clean up the backpack and rifle but I just do not have the control in my brush to A) Get a good coat on and B) not hit a bunch of other areas. May be time to upgrade from the acrylic brushes I currently have. I also know I need to drill out the barrel but I haven't decided what size bit to use on my pin vice.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Painted up the first of my space wolves kill team.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

The Jumpoff posted:

If someone wants to recommend a different purple please do.
I quite like the GW purples.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Jumpoff posted:

I started on my AdMech Kill Team from the Starter Box and it's every nightmare painting scenario rolled into one with all the details on these jerks. I want a richer purple on their robes but the Army Painter purples I have go on like crap, and I used Vallejo Royal Purple and edge highlighted with Vallejo Blue Violet. If someone wants to recommend a different purple please do.

I know I need to clean up the backpack and rifle but I just do not have the control in my brush to A) Get a good coat on and B) not hit a bunch of other areas. May be time to upgrade from the acrylic brushes I currently have. I also know I need to drill out the barrel but I haven't decided what size bit to use on my pin vice.

Liquitex Purple Ink is really rich and intense. Army Painter Purple Tone is also fantastic.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I painted this model today, which is pretty unremarkable except for the fact that I 3D printed it, which I find loving cool.

It's not perfect, if you examine it closely you can definitely see artifacts of the printing, but it is good enough for tabletop.

The biggest problem with 3d printing models, at least using this type of printer, is that the printer separates the model into layers by height; This is super noticable on a steep, flat slope, such as the front of this BTR. The lines are especially noticable here because I drybrushed it. Those lines running from side to side are an artifact of the printing, in the 3d file it is smooth. I can set the printer to a layer height of about 1/4 of what it did on this one, but this is correspondingly more time consuming. Still, I'd consider this model entirely tabletop worthy, you don't really notice any defects unless you examine it up close.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Just tell everyone that the armed forces are trying out zimmerit again.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Geisladisk posted:

I painted this model today, which is pretty unremarkable except for the fact that I 3D printed it, which I find loving cool.

It's not perfect, if you examine it closely you can definitely see artifacts of the printing, but it is good enough for tabletop.

The biggest problem with 3d printing models, at least using this type of printer, is that the printer separates the model into layers by height; This is super noticable on a steep, flat slope, such as the front of this BTR. The lines are especially noticable here because I drybrushed it. Those lines running from side to side are an artifact of the printing, in the 3d file it is smooth. I can set the printer to a layer height of about 1/4 of what it did on this one, but this is correspondingly more time consuming. Still, I'd consider this model entirely tabletop worthy, you don't really notice any defects unless you examine it up close.

Meshmixer can find the best position and angle for a model to print for best quality. Also it's supports are kind of magic.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Liquitex Purple Ink is really rich and intense. Army Painter Purple Tone is also fantastic.

Is Liquitex stuff in a dropper bottle? I'll look out for Purple Tone if not but i'm trying to diversify my paint range a little bit.

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.
I picked up a bottle of the grey Vallejo surface primer to test out since its way too humid to spray prime and I'm getting tons of little bubbles in the primer even if I wait to let it settle on the palette before brushing it on. Is this a bad bottle or am I missing something? I never had this issue when I'd use the black GW imperial primer brush on stuff. I'd get that again but everywhere around here seems to be out. It could also potentially be the brush. Its a crappy old army painter cheapo one I got last year when I started getting back into painting that I only use for brush on primer and mixing colors.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Got some progress on my army.
I should learn how to play.

E: reupped with better lighting

Harvey Mantaco fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Aug 8, 2018

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Grundma posted:

I picked up a bottle of the grey Vallejo surface primer to test out since its way too humid to spray prime and I'm getting tons of little bubbles in the primer even if I wait to let it settle on the palette before brushing it on. Is this a bad bottle or am I missing something? I never had this issue when I'd use the black GW imperial primer brush on stuff. I'd get that again but everywhere around here seems to be out. It could also potentially be the brush. Its a crappy old army painter cheapo one I got last year when I started getting back into painting that I only use for brush on primer and mixing colors.

I had similar problems when I tried brushing that stuff on. The best way I could find to use it was to get a large cheapo brush and sort of stipple it on. But even that didn't work great. I've heard a lot of people say the stuff brushes on really well but that wasn't my experience :shrug:

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
Thanks for the replies about primer. I'd tried using the same "recipe" I did for the black (which went on like a dream) and couldn't get the same effect with white/grey.

I've ordered some new bottles to see if it's a duff batch or the bottles have started curing or something.

Annoyingly I've also got to completely troubleshoot my airbrush setup. It now feels like there's zero pressure going through the brush, and the trigger "bubbles". When I tried ensuring the seal on the hose, it just made the slight leak at that end worse.

Considering I'm trying to breeze through a Blood Bowl team by this time next week (and another by the end of the month), this is the worst time for all this to happen.

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.

The Moon Monster posted:

I had similar problems when I tried brushing that stuff on. The best way I could find to use it was to get a large cheapo brush and sort of stipple it on. But even that didn't work great. I've heard a lot of people say the stuff brushes on really well but that wasn't my experience :shrug:

Im glad Im not the only one. I think I'm gonna strip these guys and then try the reaper brush on stuff next. Did GW stop making their brush on black primer? It seems every store around here is out

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Grundma posted:

Im glad Im not the only one. I think I'm gonna strip these guys and then try the reaper brush on stuff next. Did GW stop making their brush on black primer? It seems every store around here is out

Looks like Imperial Primer has been discontinued.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Grundma posted:

This happens to me too. I prefer not to brush it on unless I have no other option.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Grundma posted:

It should be self leveling. Usually going back over it with the brush takes care of any bubbles. I get them in both Vallejo and Badger primers but I've never had them stay after drying.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
I've brushed on the Vallejo white surface primer for a ton of minis and never had a problem. I use a big cheap stiff brush, slather it on and then go back and brush off the excess. It dries thin and smooth.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I still stand by Tamiya fine surface spray-on primer. I live in a high humidity are and so far no issues with fuzzing at all, so long as you take the standard precautions of not spraying when it's at maximum mugginess. The only problem with it is cost.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

glitchkrieg posted:

Does anybody have any joy with airbrushing Vallejo white or grey primer? I can’t seem to get it to spray smoothly, no matter how much I thin it or what pressure - it always spatters really horribly. Spraying water or standard paint seems fine, so I don’t think that’s the problem.

Thinning with Flow Improver instead of the regular thinner helped me a lot (1:2 thinner to primer ratio). Also the nozzle of my airbrush wasn't tight enough and let air through the screw, so that didn't help either. Fixed both and now it's really good.

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

Bucnasti posted:

I've brushed on the Vallejo white surface primer for a ton of minis and never had a problem. I use a big cheap stiff brush, slather it on and then go back and brush off the excess. It dries thin and smooth.

I think the stiff brush might be the key. The one I was using was pretty old and worn so I think it might have been adding the bubbles. I'll give it a try next time with a different brush.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lord Hypnostache posted:

I was recently in a KoW tournament where I placed like 10th out of 14 competitors, but I did win the friendliest list and best painted army so I decided to take some pictures of my Undead and share them here. The models are by GW, Mantic and Reaper.

This is a really great army. Thanks for sharing pics.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Where do you guys buy cheap brushes that are functional? I'm rough with my poo poo and the kids more-so.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

i painted another Gal Vorbak

and a group shot

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Hixson posted:

i painted another Gal Vorbak

and a group shot

Really stunning work to be proud of.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

That red shading is unique and cool!

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Where do you guys buy cheap brushes that are functional? I'm rough with my poo poo and the kids more-so.
https://www.dickblick.com sells a huge range of brushes of all quality and price levels. For kids you might want to use the cheap "economy", "scholastic", or "student" ranges.
Look for "Sable for Watercolor".

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
I've finished my batch of test Mreens, so it's time for a bunch of pictures because i'm quite pleased with myself.

Here's the progress shot; old pre-Duncan to the left, intermediate chap with the twin chainswords in the middle, and current improvements next to their color schemes on the right (yeah, i tried to transfer paints to dropper bottles. It didn't work in several ways and i gave up)

Just the new lads

Kantor and Altdorf blues (turned because from the front, he really does hide behind that shield quite effectively)

Macragge and Calgar blues (note attempt at artificial highlight on sword gem. Or don't, because if you zoom in you'll see the dust stuck to his face)

Caledor and Lothern blues (i wanted to hide a chunk in the snow and stick him to it sideways so he was john woo-ing across the base, but chickened out. This one is only superglue, i might go back and do it...)

The Fang and Fenrisian 'greys' (Baharroth eyes weren't a good idea, but i thought the aggressively bright blue against the desaturated khorne red hat would look at least funny)

And a group shot. Thanks for looking at the variegated smurfs' vacation pictures.

(side note, i'm almost upset how well the power hand turned out. it's the laziest one-pass-per-color 'blend' with washes that were too thick... but somehow it still looks good?)

I think i'll get a pot of Russ Grey and do a guy in The Fang highlighted with that. Fenrisian against Fang is really too neon for my taste. And while i like the navy blue of Kantor... i'm really, unnaturally attracted to the prospect of being able to use macragge primer to basecoat and prime my next squad in one step. If i enjoy the act of painting, why do i want to take shortcuts so much?

As to improvements... i think i need to figure out some way to keep dust and crud off of them between painting sessions, most of all.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Ceebees posted:

i think i need to figure out some way to keep dust and crud off of them between painting sessions, most of all.

How long are you going between painting sessions that dust is an issue?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Place them in an upside down tupperware container. Problem solved.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Is there a thread approved airbrush system

Edit: sorry it’s late that’s a loving amazing op god drat

Is that list still current?

beergod fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Aug 9, 2018

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Ceebees posted:

I think i'll get a pot of Russ Grey and do a guy in The Fang highlighted with that. Fenrisian against Fang is really too neon for my taste. And while i like the navy blue of Kantor... i'm really, unnaturally attracted to the prospect of being able to use macragge primer to basecoat and prime my next squad in one step. If i enjoy the act of painting, why do i want to take shortcuts so much?

As to improvements... i think i need to figure out some way to keep dust and crud off of them between painting sessions, most of all.

Fenrisian is more a highlight for Russ Grey any ways. Although if you're painting in those colours you kind of have Space Wolves.

Red Herring
Apr 3, 2010
I can't decide, banner or no banner? Please help.

Black Templars Emperor's Champion, for kill team.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I assume the other models won't have a banner?

In that case I'd say rock the banner - I like making my stuff as distinguishable as possible for my opponent, so being able to say, "The leader is the one with the banner" would go a long way.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Aug 9, 2018

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

What's the best way to achieve this look? I heard gray often looks boring on models so I want to avoid that while still using this really nice looking scheme.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Grey mostly looks boring because it can just look like unpainted plastic. Using a grey with some slight tint to it, shading, edge highlighting, weathering, and breaking it up with other colors goes far in making it look good.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

beergod posted:

Is there a thread approved airbrush system

Edit: sorry it’s late that’s a loving amazing op god drat

Is that list still current?

Patriot 105 or a cheapo Master for the brush, Master compressor WITH tank and regulator, airbrush painting booth, airbrush cleaner, airbrush medium. That's about it, really.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

How would I get the effect for the green armor panels here? I like how it's yellowish on the interior of the panels. Paint it all green then just drybrush yellowy green while staying away from the edges, then line edge the edges with white and a bit of yellow? I've never done anything like that.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Harvey Mantaco posted:

How would I get the effect for the green armor panels here? I like how it's yellowish on the interior of the panels. Paint it all green then just drybrush yellowy green while staying away from the edges, then line edge the edges with white and a bit of yellow? I've never done anything like that.

Looks airbrushed to me. With a regular brush what you're suggesting would probably work well. Also layering very translucent layers on top of each other would work too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I would stipple rather than drybrushing (as you'll have better control and it will better achieve a mottled look), but yes, that's the general technique. I'd also do it in several successive lighter colors, concentrating towards the middle. It's hard to tell from the photo, but I see at least four different shades in there (you can see it best on the dozer blade), not including the lightest yellow around the boils/pustule-craters.

If you don't want the mottled effect, then use an airbrush rather than stippling.