Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Inept posted:

would you call yourself a centrist

Lol, you say that as if I'm not speaking from a position of a scorn that it happens. People largely are powerless, or sufficiently disengaged, to stop the hands of development. Would, in my dream world, there be careful study and conservation of each and every significant culture feature happen? Yes. Does it happen currently? No, because business and governments typically don't care beyond items that puff their agenda.

Re: parking lots, direct quotation will have to wait because most of this writing is going to be in private (CRM firms, business companies, government) hands or otherwise obscured from easy access, or beyond a paywall (journal articles). I'll touch up after I get back home (pulling quotes from articles because phone posting) but for now here's some pieces that speak to the utility of pavement as a preservation method and that the operating principle (reburial) is used:

The famous incident of King Richard III
A neat blog post that also is an introduction to urban archaeology.

I don't know why you think I'm specifically advocating for its usage. All I'm saying is it's not unheard of, and in lieu of greater autonomy in the hands of cultural authorities mitigate is sometimes the best option, lest it be destroyed entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Outrail posted:

There was a book called 'Get Even: The complete book of dirty tricks' which 14 year old me though was kicking rad. Half was poo poo on the extreme end of 'pranks' and half was straight up illegal poo poo like taking down transmission lines.

Oh man, George Hayduke. I think there were like 3 of those books and they were presented as like lighthearted revenge pranks. But really it started at flaming bags of poop and then escalated to cutting brake lines and planting drugs/CP in your enemy's house and calling the cops.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Kazak posted:

Lol slap a parking lot on it.

Source your quotes

Richard III, King found under a parking lot, finally laid to rest

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Kalsco posted:

I don't know why you think I'm specifically advocating for its usage. All I'm saying is it's not unheard of, and in lieu of greater autonomy in the hands of cultural authorities mitigate is sometimes the best option, lest it be destroyed entirely.

instead of being angry at it in the capitalism thread, you said "it could be worse", the trademark lament of a dork

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Inept posted:

instead of being angry at it in the capitalism thread, you said "it could be worse", the trademark lament of a dork

Fair enough.

e: i aint bothering with a new post, here

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1179/135050304793137865 posted:

Recent investigations in the cityof Sheffield, South Yorkshire, exposed the remains of a series of 19th-century cementation furnaces used to produce blister steel from Swedish wrought iron...

Once the significance of the site was realized, further discussions were held between the developers, the archaeological advisors for the planning authority and the archaeological contractors undertaking the evaluation work, with the result that a number of the surviving furnaces were preserved in situ. In order to achieve this, slight changes to the proposed layout of the new development were required. The preservation of the furnaces could only be achieved through the repositioning of a ground-level car park over the remains. Whilst the brick-built structures were very substantial and sturdy, it was nevertheless possible that the passage of heavy construction traffic could cause damage through increased loading and compression. Hence, the remains were reburied using sterile sand (Fig. 2).

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1179/135050304793137874 posted:

Reburial of sites may never become a popular option for preservation of the archaeological heritage. It is anathema to those archaeologists whose world revolves around
revealing (i.e.excavating) rather than concealing archaeological remains; it is completely counter-intuitive to the general public, whose perceptions of archaeology are founded upon excavation...

The premise behind the present paper is that reburial is undoubtedly a form of long-term conservation, but that it can become a form of disposal if we do not find the means of keeping alive the memory and relevance of a reburied site.

Kalsco has issued a correction as of 01:52 on Aug 8, 2018

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

red19fire posted:

Oh man, George Hayduke. I think there were like 3 of those books and they were presented as like lighthearted revenge pranks. But really it started at flaming bags of poop and then escalated to cutting brake lines and planting drugs/CP in your enemy's house and calling the cops.

And George Hayduke came from an Edward Abbey book, "The Monkey Wrench Gang" about a group of eco-terrorists (1975 or 76). I had a whole ton of Paladin press books/pamphlets. I remember back in the day, the rumor was that the Anarchist Cookbook was put out by the CIA to deliberately cause folks using it to blow themselves up or poison themselves. I still have a copy of 'The Chemistry of Powder and Explosives' by Tenney Davis; A buddy and I used it to make Picric Acid in highschool. Kids can't do that today.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

porktree posted:

And George Hayduke came from an Edward Abbey book, "The Monkey Wrench Gang" about a group of eco-terrorists (1975 or 76). I had a whole ton of Paladin press books/pamphlets. I remember back in the day, the rumor was that the Anarchist Cookbook was put out by the CIA to deliberately cause folks using it to blow themselves up or poison themselves. I still have a copy of 'The Chemistry of Powder and Explosives' by Tenney Davis; A buddy and I used it to make Picric Acid in highschool. Kids can't do that today.

When I was in grad school they called in a bomb squad to remove the picric acid I found in our lab. Nearly 1 kg of it that was over 40 years old. My boss wanted me to try and open it and save some in solution 'in case we need it again.' Hell no.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

porktree posted:

All through highschool (like a decade ago) I was making my own fireworks out of basic chemicals I ordered online (potassium salts, sulphur, metal powders etc), and you can still get pretty much all of that stuff, so I'm sure kids'll find a way to do dumb dangerous bullshit if they want to :v:

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

ate all the Oreos posted:

All through highschool (like a decade ago) I was making my own fireworks out of basic chemicals I ordered online (potassium salts, sulphur, metal powders etc), and you can still get pretty much all of that stuff, so I'm sure kids'll find a way to do dumb dangerous bullshit if they want to :v:

The difference is now they get charged with felony bomb making. Saw this happen to two ChemEng majors at.my university after they put dry ice and water in soda bottles.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

DisgracelandUSA posted:

The difference is now they get charged with felony bomb making. Saw this happen to two ChemEng majors at.my university after they put dry ice and water in soda bottles.

Hahah what? Does that even count as a bomb? We used buy dry ice from a factory downtown to do that when we were like 14. We'd be throwing dry ice around the train back home and noone gave a poo poo.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
We did it with drain cleaner and aluminum. So that's a bomb charge now? Lame.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
In case anyone hasn’t heard of it, the Russian method of making sure the launch order is given even if leadership is (gone, in the case of a sudden American first strike, or) reluctant is a computer system called Dead Hand buried deep in a bunker in a forest outside Moscow that gives the order automatically if it detects that the capital is hit. It may or may not still be turned on; they’re not telling.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Pirate Radar posted:

In case anyone hasn’t heard of it, the Russian method of making sure the launch order is given even if leadership is (gone, in the case of a sudden American first strike, or) reluctant is a computer system called Dead Hand buried deep in a bunker in a forest outside Moscow that gives the order automatically if it detects that the capital is hit. It may or may not still be turned on; they’re not telling.

I see zero downsides to completely fabricating something like that honestly

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Don't forget that unless the story was blown way out of proportion a guy in Russia second guessed the computer and didn't nuke everyone when it told him to.

Good thing too because it was literally nothing.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Elman posted:

Translation: "It's been around since Franco's time, we're not throwing away that kind of brand recognition. I mean we took away their spears, what more do you want??"

Their hands. :geert:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Len posted:

Don't forget that unless the story was blown way out of proportion a guy in Russia second guessed the computer and didn't nuke everyone when it told him to.

That wasn’t the computer system, that was—I’m guessing—the time when the Soviet warning satellites mistook sunlight glinting off clouds for the flare of an American rocket engine and sounded the alarm at the control center. The air defense officer in charge of relaying such reports to the Kremlin correctly figured that the Americans wouldn’t launch just one missile and that the system must be malfunctioning. The Dead Hand computer isn’t designed to cut human operators out entirely, just to take over if it thinks all the humans are dead.

The officer from that incident was reassigned because the satellite failure was considered embarrassing. He received no reward for possibly averting a nuclear war.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Anyone who wants to give themselves a feeling of pure existential terror should read Command and Control: Nuclear Weapons, the Damascus Accident, and the Illusion of Safety. It features such luminous episodes in the history of American nuclear weapon handling as:

• The time a fully armed Cuban MiG fighter landed unchallenged at a Florida Air Force base, because the pilot wanted to defect. The reason it was unchallenged was because the Army personnel who whose job this was were all drunk and high. Other duties of their's included the responsibility for the nuclear anti-aircraft missiles on the base.
  • The time Thule AFB in Greenland reported a massive missile launch from the Russians because their detection computer went absolutely bananas, which ended up being the radar detecting the moon rising.
  • The time a nuclear bomb was dropped on suburban North Carolina because there was a guy checking on something in the bomb bay of his nuclear-armed plane, the plane hit turbulence and he grabbed and pulled the bomb release handle to steady himself. The bomb itself wasn't armed (plutonium pit was not installed), but the high-explosive detonator went off when it hit the ground, nearly killing some children.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Memento posted:

Anyone who wants to give themselves a feeling of pure existential terror should read Command and Control: Nuclear Weapons, the Damascus Accident, and the Illusion of Safety. It features such luminous episodes in the history of American nuclear weapon handling as:

• The time a fully armed Cuban MiG fighter landed unchallenged at a Florida Air Force base, because the pilot wanted to defect. The reason it was unchallenged was because the Army personnel who whose job this was were all drunk and high. Other duties of their's included the responsibility for the nuclear anti-aircraft missiles on the base.
  • The time Thule AFB in Greenland reported a massive missile launch from the Russians because their detection computer went absolutely bananas, which ended up being the radar detecting the moon rising.
  • The time a nuclear bomb was dropped on suburban North Carolina because there was a guy checking on something in the bomb bay of his nuclear-armed plane, the plane hit turbulence and he grabbed and pulled the bomb release handle to steady himself. The bomb itself wasn't armed (plutonium pit was not installed), but the high-explosive detonator went off when it hit the ground, nearly killing some children.

The US Air Force also left two real nuclear bombs on a runway because they thought they were just fake training bombs and went home for the day.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Memento posted:

lmao :drat:

frankee
Dec 29, 2017

Memento posted:

Scary!
Oct 22, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
There's an episode of "This American Life" where some people working in a nuclear silo accidently dropped a spanner and punctured the fuel tank, causing an explosion. Thankfully the nuke didn't go off, but the segment wasn't any more comforting.

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/634/human-error-in-volatile-situations

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The US does a mock nuclear war training exercise every year or two or something, where someone pretends to be the president (because if the actual president did it it would reveal how they would act) and even in the 100% simulated, completely consequence-free training exercise nobody has ever been able to bring themselves to order the counterattack :unsmith:

I mean I'm sure someone like Trump absolutely wouldn't hesitate but still, it's kinda nice to think about...

Trump wouldn’t believe that his handler Vlad would do such a thing.

The generals must be wrong.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Len posted:

No, that literally happened. It was some kind of programming error that led to the radar saying "holy gently caress a bunch of missiles are on the way!!!" but something looked wrong to the guy. He just kind of went "no, this is a stupid glitch, can we not launch stuff?" Turned out he was right, no missiles had been launched, and Russian missiles kept sitting wherever Russia keeps them.

I forget the details but something about it all just looked off to the guy so he wouldn't launch anything despite the computer pretty much screaming PUSH THE drat BUTTON ALREADY.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Pirate Radar posted:

Israel supposedly has something similar and they aimed all their poo poo at Europe and Russia just in case

The Samson Option its called

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Scary! posted:

There's an episode of "This American Life" where some people working in a nuclear silo accidently dropped a spanner and punctured the fuel tank, causing an explosion. Thankfully the nuke didn't go off, but the segment wasn't any more comforting.

Luckily for humanity, it's very hard to make a nuclear explosive explode... nuclearly. That's one of the biggest challenges beyond just getting enough material to make the bomb, actually - you have to detonate something like 32 or more points on the exact right position around a sphere of explosives at precisely the same time, like within plus or minus less than a microsecond, or the whole thing just explodes normally (and spreads a bunch of uranium around, but uranium by itself isn't dangerously radioactive).

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Scary! posted:

There’s a documentary on Netflix based on the book that someone else referenced here earlier “Command and Control” and they interview the guy that dropped the wrench. It’s pretty scary how close we’ve come to bombing ourselves several times, not to mention how many times we’ve accidentally dropped nuclear/hydrogen bombs all over the world that by a stroke of luck managed to not explode at their full force.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kazak posted:

Israel supposedly has something similar and they aimed all their poo poo at Europe and Russia just in case

The Samson Option its called

That's not a system like Dead Hand, that's just their policy of destroying the world if they don't get their way.

TorpedoFish
Feb 19, 2006

Tingly.

Memento posted:

[list]
[*]The time a fully armed Cuban MiG fighter landed unchallenged at a Florida Air Force base, because the pilot wanted to defect. The reason it was unchallenged was because the Army personnel who whose job this was were all drunk and high. Other duties of their's included the responsibility for the nuclear anti-aircraft missiles on the base.
Even better, Air Force One was parked at that base at that time, waiting for Nixon to hop back on board after whatever he was doing in Florida.

But don't think that our Guardians of Freedom™ being out of their gourds on-duty is a thing of the past! It's still happening

quote:

The airmen took the drugs — which also included ecstasy, cocaine and marijuana — during their off-duty time, but at least one airman acknowledged that while under the influence of LSD, he wouldn't have been able to respond properly if he had been suddenly called to duty.

Evidence in the airmen's cases showed that they did the drugs at state parks or at parties in Denver, where a group went longboarding on the streets after taking LSD, according to the AP. It also includes quotes from some service members who recalled having "bad trips," and others who said their experiences had been positive.

"Minutes felt like hours, colors seemed more vibrant and clear," Airman Kyle S. Morrison is quoted as saying. "In general, I felt more alive."

But Air Force prosecutors had a different view, saying that taking the hallucinogenic drug can produce "paranoia, fear and panic, unwanted and overwhelming feelings, unwanted life-changing spiritual experiences, and flashbacks."

Warren is the headquarters of the 20th Air Force, which oversees three missile wings and is responsible for more than 400 intercontinental ballistic missiles that are each capable of delivering devastating nuclear blows. While the personnel there are held to a high standard because of their work securing the ICBMs, the AP notes that the assignments are sometimes seen as a "backwater."

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Yeah it’s not a computer they’ll just, well, bring the temple down around them.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Luckily for humanity, it's very hard to make a nuclear explosive explode... nuclearly. That's one of the biggest challenges beyond just getting enough material to make the bomb, actually - you have to detonate something like 32 or more points on the exact right position around a sphere of explosives at precisely the same time, like within plus or minus less than a microsecond, or the whole thing just explodes normally (and spreads a bunch of uranium around, but uranium by itself isn't dangerously radioactive).

I read a long time ago that special forces protocol for defusing a nuclear bomb on the ground is to just ventilate that poo poo with gunfire

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Memento posted:

• The time a soviet submarine commander and first officer both agreed to use a nuclear torpedo against what they thought was an American ship dropping real depth charges during the cuban missile crisis, and the only reason they didn't was because an admiral was onboard who refused and got them to surface.
  • The time NORAD forgot to disconnect the computer when running a nuclear attack test scenario and the simulation data was broadcast to the situation room and to several other bases who all responded by preparing to counterattack the massive russian invasion force
  • The time a scientific rocket launched towards Russia caused them to get out the nuclear briefcase for the only time in history and come right up to calling a counterattack, all of which happened after the cold war

There's so many

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Also unlike the US and Russia, Britain's submarines have the full capability and authority to fire their nuclear missiles without any sort of transmitted code or order, they're just trusted not to because Britain is so incredibly good at training their military and life aboard the subs is definitely not a comical shitshow of mismanagement and underfunding

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

That depends on the kind of bomb. Current bomb designs are designed basically that way because, hey, maybe we shouldn't make it easy to set off something this horribly destructive accidentally.

Early on in the days of nuclear exploration criticality accidents were terrifyingly common. Plutonium in particular really, really wants to go critical and melt everything or engage in some runaway nuclear reaction that blows up. Nuclear weapons aren't necessarily uranium; weapons-grade plutonium exists and is terrifying.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demon_core

A good read.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That depends on the kind of bomb. Current bomb designs are designed basically that way because, hey, maybe we shouldn't make it easy to set off something this horribly destructive accidentally.

Early on in the days of nuclear exploration criticality accidents were terrifyingly common. Plutonium in particular really, really wants to go critical and melt everything or engage in some runaway nuclear reaction that blows up. Nuclear weapons aren't necessarily uranium; weapons-grade plutonium exists and is terrifying.

Criticality is necessary but not sufficient for a nuclear explosion, and we moved to implosion-type weapons more because they were easier to scale up than gun-types (since gun-types tended to explode before the two pieces were brought all the way together, and so were inefficient). But yeah some of the early designs were hilariously dangerous, though usually in more of a "if this thing is dropped it'll irradiate everyone in a 1000ft radius" way rather than a "if this thing is dropped it will vaporize everything within a 5 mile radius" kinda way.

Fun thing I didn't realize until recently: we didn't stop making gun-type bombs with little boy, we actually made quite a few of them for use in nuclear artillery shells because they were considered more "durable" :downs:

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
This is all totally off topic but interesting enough to warrant another thread imo

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Join the AIRPOWER thread in TFR.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
Nah

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

g0lbez posted:

This is all totally off topic but interesting enough to warrant another thread imo

Weapons of mass destruction contracted by the federal government to the lowest bidder :capitalism:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
if tfr's not your thing, the pyf dangerous chemicals thread has a lot of posts about demon cores, dimethylmercury and other hair raising things.