Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Callaway is sooooo talented.

And soooooo dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Malcolm Mitchell :negative:

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

CoolHandMat posted:

despite being a (suffering ) Browns homer, with the Coleman trade, your Browns late round sleeper is Antonio Calloway.

*its in writing now, you know its truth.

The suspended guy is my sleeper?

No thanks.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

So my dumb small league is making some changes this year because we're dumb and small. To give some back story, we started as a 6 team, last year switched to a 8 team, and this season we're back to a 6 team. We're also all English and half the league really doesn't know what they're doing (you decide which half I'm in).

Anyway, we're going to try and make things more competitive by increasing the roster sizes. We've settled on the following format:

2QB
2RB
2WR
1TE
1DEF
3FLEX

This is the first time any of us have done a "non standard" league format though, so I'm wondering if anyone has any experience and can answer some questions.

1) Is there any benefit to changing it to 3RB/WR and 1FLEX? Realistically I think that's how most teams are going to end up so I'm wondering whether the flexibility of three flex positions is going to make that much of a difference
2) Recommendations for bench sizes? I was thinking either 6 or 8 (to bring the teams to 18 or 20 players total), but I wouldn't say no to a smaller bench if there's a good reason.
3) What kind of things should I be thinking about when drafting? It's the 2QB thing that's throwing me off. Should I be looking to maybe take a better QB earlier rather than waiting for the later rounds?

Any other tips you guys may have would be good too!

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

EvilHawk posted:

So my dumb small league is making some changes this year because we're dumb and small. To give some back story, we started as a 6 team, last year switched to a 8 team, and this season we're back to a 6 team. We're also all English and half the league really doesn't know what they're doing (you decide which half I'm in).

Anyway, we're going to try and make things more competitive by increasing the roster sizes. We've settled on the following format:

2QB
2RB
2WR
1TE
1DEF
3FLEX

This is the first time any of us have done a "non standard" league format though, so I'm wondering if anyone has any experience and can answer some questions.

1) Is there any benefit to changing it to 3RB/WR and 1FLEX? Realistically I think that's how most teams are going to end up so I'm wondering whether the flexibility of three flex positions is going to make that much of a difference
2) Recommendations for bench sizes? I was thinking either 6 or 8 (to bring the teams to 18 or 20 players total), but I wouldn't say no to a smaller bench if there's a good reason.
3) What kind of things should I be thinking about when drafting? It's the 2QB thing that's throwing me off. Should I be looking to maybe take a better QB earlier rather than waiting for the later rounds?

Any other tips you guys may have would be good too!
I personally hate 2QB leagues. It basically becomes about who owns the best QB's.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

dy. posted:

I personally hate 2QB leagues. It basically becomes about who owns the best QB's.

There are 6 teams, it needs to be like 2 QB + superflex

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

dy. posted:

As opposed to owning the best running back?

sourdough posted:

There are 6 teams, it needs to be like 2 QB + superflex

That'd be fun and probably a train wreck

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Chris Harris finally gives us what we want of him; film breakdown and only ten minutes of him at a time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex-d5tdQbgQ

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Spoeank posted:

Chris Harris finally gives us what we want of him; film breakdown and only ten minutes of him at a time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex-d5tdQbgQ

he still looks like the weird ghoul that the other ghouls are uncomfortable around

like a dracula cosplaying as an irishman

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Veritek83 posted:

he still looks like the weird ghoul that the other ghouls are uncomfortable around

like a dracula cosplaying as an irishman

It's even worse in the Jimmy Graham one; dude looks undead as hell

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Should I listen to that corpse for 10 mins or is it not worth it?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Spermy Smurf posted:

Should I listen to that corpse for 10 mins or is it not worth it?

"Le'Veon Bell is really good" probably isn't worth it but Joe Mixon was eye-opening https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Azudl3W0_Y

I won't post Jimmy Graham because I don't want to start a firestorm

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Joe Mixon is dead?

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
I only listen to his podcast when he has someone I enjoy on as a guest- and ideally someone who will disagree with him in a major way about something. I check his ranks relatively frequently though.

I feel like Harris provides a good counterpoint to a lot of the other analysis that I read, but "oh I don't look at other people's rankings, I just watch tape" bullshit aggravates me.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Holy poo poo why doesn't he blink.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Apparently he's also doing Alex Collins.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Spoeank posted:

"Le'Veon Bell is really good" probably isn't worth it but Joe Mixon was eye-opening https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Azudl3W0_Y

I won't post Jimmy Graham because I don't want to start a firestorm

It's weird, because I felt like we were watching two different film sessions. His comparison to Le'Veon Bell is off. Mixon is like Bell in slow motion. What makes Bell who he is isn't his patience, it's his acceleration. Plenty of guys are patient runners.

Also, is it possible that Chris Harris is the son of Al Davis? I mean, if it looks like a duck that died three days ago....

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Sataere posted:

It's weird, because I felt like we were watching two different film sessions. His comparison to Le'Veon Bell is off. Mixon is like Bell in slow motion. What makes Bell who he is isn't his patience, it's his acceleration. Plenty of guys are patient runners.

I agree. Mixon can be good but putting a hand on a guard isn't what makes LevBell special.

Plugging The LevBell Hop because Bell is dope to watch.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
On the other hand, I'll be super happy if he convinces everyone Mixon is basically Bell.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

RCarr posted:

Question regarding using MFL for a live online draft. If you have a hard salary cap, will it prevent owners from drafting a player that puts them over the cap? Is it possible to skip over a draft pick, or will it force the owner to auto draft someone?

Can anyone answer this?

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

RCarr posted:

Can anyone answer this?

uhh. there should be a setting that means timeouts don't autodraft.

re: cap -- i don't think it knows the cap of a player not yet set?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Zauper posted:

uhh. there should be a setting that means timeouts don't autodraft.

re: cap -- i don't think it knows the cap of a player not yet set?

I set all the rookie salaries already, so that shouldn't be a problem. I just want to make sure it will actually: A) Not allow you to draft someone if he will put you over the cap. B) Allow draft picks to be skipped if no one is selected, rather than forcing an autodraft.

Edit: I looked at the settings and I see there's a "Skip draft pick" setting, that let's me set picks to be skipped, pre-draft. But the way our league is set up, I don't think I will be able to ensure I know what picks are going to be skipped, pre-draft.

RCarr fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Aug 8, 2018

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
You can skip someones pick on the fly as commish, no problem there.

I'm curious as to how you set prices on the rookies already. Isn't it usually done based on draft position?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Sataere posted:

Also, is it possible that Chris Harris is the son of Al Davis? I mean, if it looks like a duck that died three days ago....

It's Mixon's acceleration out of his patience/coming to a stop that has him comparing Mixon to Lev Bell and ah gently caress why am I defending Chris Harris

To be fair, he says multiple times, "I'm not saying Joe Mixon is Le'Veon Bell" though.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Spermy Smurf posted:

You can skip someones pick on the fly as commish, no problem there.

I'm curious as to how you set prices on the rookies already. Isn't it usually done based on draft position?

:lol: You're right, I'm an idiot. I was thinking of something else. Yea so I'm not sure how that's going to work out...

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Is there some background I'm missing on Chris Harris? He doesn't seem terribly popular here.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
His podcast has a sexy robot voicing eye rolls.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Ben Nevis posted:

His podcast has a sexy robot voicing eye rolls.

Truly, he should be executed for his crimes.

Is there anything substantive?

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Truly, he should be executed for his crimes.

Is there anything substantive?

I feel like the objections are mostly to presentation. His analysis seems fine to me. I wish I could get it sans eyerolls, music and literature reviews, and Cousin Josh.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Ben Nevis posted:

I feel like the objections are mostly to presentation. His analysis seems fine to me. I wish I could get it sans eyerolls, music and literature reviews, and Cousin Josh.

That's fair. I really like his book, and the fact that he gets folks like John Paulsen and Matt Harmon seems like a solid endorsement.

I don't think there's anything about his podcast that's worse than say The Fantasy Footballers. It's not a high bar.

So far I seem to be regularly listening to Chris Harris, 4For4, The Late-Round Podcast, and FantasyPros. In that order generally.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

That's fair. I really like his book, and the fact that he gets folks like John Paulsen and Matt Harmon seems like a solid endorsement.

I don't think there's anything about his podcast that's worse than say The Fantasy Footballers. It's not a high bar.

So far I seem to be regularly listening to Chris Harris, 4For4, The Late-Round Podcast, and FantasyPros. In that order generally.

Yeah, my problem is I basically don't listen to any podcasts anymore. Generally, I don't have the time for them these days, so that sort of stuff grates more than it used to.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Is there some background I'm missing on Chris Harris? He doesn't seem terribly popular here.

My main problem with Chris Harris is that he is incapable of not deriding the industry at large and I'm honestly surprised he gets his guests on. He actively talks poo poo behind the backs of guests and behind the backs of the hosts of the shows where he guests, and it's just an awful look all around for him. If he wasn't an industry mainstay from his time at Yahoo and ESPN, I doubt he would have gotten anywhere with them at this point because of his active hostility towards everyone (wrapped in a nice guy veneer).

He spends a portion of time each episode talking about how his method is best and how everyone else is bad at what they do unless they do it the way he does it.

He also flat out dismisses valid nuances to situations as "crutch arguments" but will tell you every year that Devonta Freeman is too small to do it or that Devontae Booker is just unlucky. He purports to be an arbiter of hard truth when it fits his narrative but loves soft factors like luck when it doesn't.

He's very smart and insightful but insufferable in large doses. I usually listen to his podcast in the car specifically because the steering wheel has a forward 30 seconds button that I can use to skip his nonsense.

In his favor, he does do somewhat unique episode topics and great deep dives on players, it's just everything around that is incredibly obnoxious.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Spoeank posted:

He also flat out dismisses valid nuances to situations as "crutch arguments" but will tell you every year that Devonta Freeman is too small to do it or that Devontae Booker is just unlucky. He purports to be an arbiter of hard truth when it fits his narrative but loves soft factors like luck when it doesn't.

What's an example of a valid nuance that he considers a crutch argument?

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Is there any reason Mixon is more hyped lately? Last year he was pretty mediocre. Did the OL improve?

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Chernabog posted:

Is there any reason Mixon is more hyped lately? Last year he was pretty mediocre. Did the OL improve?

Fantasy writers have content quotas to fill

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What's an example of a valid nuance that he considers a crutch argument?

Anything and everything that comes out of a coach's mouth he dismisses instead of interrogating it. You don't have to fall all over everything a coach says but the Sigmund Bloom "listen to the drumbeats" method is more fruitful.

He also says we don't know situation or offenses and talks people down when they mention them.

The most annoying thing is he refers to changing an opinion on a player based on things happening around the player as "swaying with the wind," indicating your opinion isn't really solid or valid.

Basically, if he doesn't see it on film, he dismisses it as poppycock.

As for Mixon, he doesn't have to contend with Jeremy Hill anymore and the line should be much improved.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

Chernabog posted:

Does having Giants castoff Bobby Hart as your new starting RT count as an improvement? As a Mixon keeper I am hoping the hype is real.

EDIT: I forgot they traded for Cordy Glenn.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Boosh! posted:

Does having Giants castoff Bobby Hart as your new starting RT count as an improvement? As a Mixon keeper I am hoping the hype is real.

EDIT: I forgot they traded for Cordy Glenn.

And drafted a center in the first round

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Spoeank posted:

Anything and everything that comes out of a coach's mouth he dismisses instead of interrogating it. You don't have to fall all over everything a coach says but the Sigmund Bloom "listen to the drumbeats" method is more fruitful.

He also says we don't know situation or offenses and talks people down when they mention them.

The most annoying thing is he refers to changing an opinion on a player based on things happening around the player as "swaying with the wind," indicating your opinion isn't really solid or valid.

Basically, if he doesn't see it on film, he dismisses it as poppycock.

I guess I don't see a lot of what you see in his podcasts. Maybe I just haven't listened long enough (just the last few weeks), but the impression I get is that he completely dismisses anything positive until it's verified in a game. I'm not sure how you're supposed to "interrogate" what a coach says, particularly when it's on subjective information such as player X playing well or player Y potentially being a starter. Coaches lie. A lot. I haven't heard Sigmund Bloom's method so I don't have a way to compare it.

He's right though; we don't know situations or offenses well enough to speculate on the kind of situations that most analysts pontificate about. A perfectly good example is the situation in Indianapolis. Right now Marlon Mack is being drafted in the 6th round (FFC Half PPR). He's listed as the starter, but analysis from experts like Matt Waldman indicate that the two rookies that Indianapolis drafted this year are better talents (particularly Jordan Wilkins, who Waldman really likes from a vision and decision making standpoint). Rotoworld's latest blurb on Mack flat out declares "Mack will undoubtedly open Week 1 as Indy's starter" even though we have a month of preseason left. There's plenty of doubt. I liked his July series on preseason; rather than talk solely about their opinions on players they discuss what would have to happen in camp for their opinion on a player to change. It seemed to mostly boil down to 1st team reps, meaningful starts in preseason games, and of course injuries.

I think a valid criticism of Harris is that he advocates for a level of surety that can result in lost opportunities. If a player is being hyped and his ADP is rising, and Harris is holding until he sees something actionable based on game usage, then that player is likely gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

He sounds like Wil Wheaton. That sort of "I'm on camera/on mic and trying to sound like an announcer but it comes off as smug" sound, like Wil he seems incapable of just talking like a normal person.

This is based on a sample size of two videos posted in the thread, but I already can't listen to him.