Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

JaySB posted:

Lessons:
Plate glass windows are to be avoided at all costs
Do not go back to training 10 days after you get stitches in your hand
Take care of your injuries properly

Yea this is what I took away from all of it.

That and how effective a Thai clinch is against someone who hasn't got a clue what to do, just unanswered knees for days.

I'm currently in Madrid and there's so many mopeds I'm getting triggered constantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

willie_dee posted:

Yea this is what I took away from all of it.

That and how effective a Thai clinch is against someone who hasn't got a clue what to do, just unanswered knees for days.

But the answer was to crash the clincher into the glass?

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

kimbo305 posted:

But the answer was to crash the clincher into the glass?

I can't tell if that was intentional or not

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
I've always wanted to try and start martial arts but BBJ and MMA scare the hell out of me ever since I saw a YouTube video of a tournament once. Unfortunately they also seem to be the most common form of class around. Is it an unjustified fear?

Personally I've always wanted to give Judo a try but haven't had much in the way of opportunity.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

OscarDiggs posted:

I've always wanted to try and start martial arts but BBJ and MMA scare the hell out of me ever since I saw a YouTube video of a tournament once. Unfortunately they also seem to be the most common form of class around. Is it an unjustified fear?

Personally I've always wanted to give Judo a try but haven't had much in the way of opportunity.

There's no obligation to compete, at least not at any gym which is worth joining.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

OscarDiggs posted:

BJJ and MMA are two very different things.

What scares you from the tournament you saw?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

OscarDiggs posted:

Completely unjustified. If those gyms were treating people badly they wouldn't be in business.

I do both BJJ and Muay Thai. There will be other martial arts hobbyists there (people that aren't trying to get into competitions and are pretty much there to learn a few things and get in better shape) and you can just pair up with them.

Also, I've had some of my best experiences sparring/rolling with the guys who do actually compete (because they're very professional and are skillful enough to not hurt you).

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

butros posted:

BJJ and MMA are two very different things.

What scares you from the tournament you saw?

The sheer amounts of poo poo the pair were pulverising out of each other was just simple astounding, basically. And yeah, it was a tournament so of course they're high level competitors, but seeing it as a youngster) about 7-8 years ago now if I remember correctly) just put notions about giving it a go to bed.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

OscarDiggs posted:

The sheer amounts of poo poo the pair were pulverising out of each other was just simple astounding, basically. And yeah, it was a tournament so of course they're high level competitors, but seeing it as a youngster) about 7-8 years ago now if I remember correctly) just put notions about giving it a go to bed.

There's no striking in BJJ.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

butros posted:

Ah, well then. Can never discount the possibility that I was an idiot kid with no idea about how it all actually works.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

butros posted:

To add to this, BJJ doesn't emphasize the kinds of throws from judo that can injure you bad if they go wrong.
Not to say that training injuries won't happen, but a good school raising good students should minimize that.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

^^exactly.

Stealing this from the slideyfoot BJJ FAQ (here http://www.slideyfoot.com/2006/10/bjj-beginner-faq.html#whatisbjj )

"Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (commonly abbreviated to BJJ) is a martial art concerned with how to fight on the ground. The object is to submit your opponent: they will indicate their submission by tapping their hand on either the floor or on you (the latter is a safer option, as it results in a quicker response)."

The good thing about BJJ is you can spar full contact with relatively low risk of injury. I've been training BJJ for about a year and there have been injuries at my school but universally they are bad luck (guys jamming their thumb on the mat, twisting their knee, etc.) than from having someone crank a submission.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Count Roland posted:

He's got TMA experience though, don't forget that.

Ryu-te is a gendai MA. Nothing traditional about it. Doesn't exist outside the US, which suggest pure mcDojo.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Ryu-te is a gendai MA. Nothing traditional about it. Doesn't exist outside the US, which suggest pure mcDojo.

He's been run out the thread, cowardice is an automatic disqualification from the ufc

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

BJJ is about butt scooting and guard pulling. Fortunately or unfortunately.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Do a grapple dude

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I am only afraid of a grappling sport because I dont want to be kneed in the balls on accident. A think that's happened way too often to me.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Grappling is fun, getting punched or kicked really hard sucks.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
True that if you decide to do fight sports you take your balls into your own hands.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JaySB posted:

Grappling is fun, getting punched or kicked really hard sucks.

I've bounced back and forth with MT and BJJ. Both are insanely fun, just one can leave you with a lot more swelling in areas if you mess up.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I've been doing judo for a while now, and I'd like to catch up a bit on my ground techniques. I know a few holds and submissions for my yellow belt, but I have gaps in some of the more technical stuff like escapes, mounting positions, ways to get past someone's guard, and stuff like that. In judo there are a bunch of kihon/basic techniques, like breakfalls, footwork, posture, and gripping, and they all have specific names and specific ways to perform them so it's easy to learn. Like if I knew someone who wanted to learn judo from scratch, for standing techniques I could be like "okay, here's the footwork, here's how you fall, here's how you grip," and so on, and could catch them up to speed on the fundamentals. Is there an equivalent like that for newaza or bjj?

I know how to shrimp and how to bridge, and how to try to peel someone out of a turtle, but that's where my ability to move around on the ground ends. Are there like, some basic terms I should look up and practice? My dojo doesn't do ground stuff too often so I want to get a little bit extra in on my own.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Cephas posted:

I've been doing judo for a while now, and I'd like to catch up a bit on my ground techniques. I know a few holds and submissions for my yellow belt, but I have gaps in some of the more technical stuff like escapes, mounting positions, ways to get past someone's guard, and stuff like that. In judo there are a bunch of kihon/basic techniques, like breakfalls, footwork, posture, and gripping, and they all have specific names and specific ways to perform them so it's easy to learn. Like if I knew someone who wanted to learn judo from scratch, for standing techniques I could be like "okay, here's the footwork, here's how you fall, here's how you grip," and so on, and could catch them up to speed on the fundamentals. Is there an equivalent like that for newaza or bjj?

I know how to shrimp and how to bridge, and how to try to peel someone out of a turtle, but that's where my ability to move around on the ground ends. Are there like, some basic terms I should look up and practice? My dojo doesn't do ground stuff too often so I want to get a little bit extra in on my own.

If you are familiar with maintaining and escaping the three shiho gatames, the two kesa gatames, guard, half guard, and a few turnovers, really the next thing you need is just time working on the ground. A BJJ fundamentals class will help more than anything else. Many of the techniques you'll find researching online will be hard to execute without picking up some of the feel that only mat time will give.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Cephas posted:

BJJ is built around a hierarchy of positions. Start at the weakest, and work your way up.

Guard
Side control
Mount
Back

A good place to start is to learn how to move between these positions.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

There's specific names for almost everything jiu jitsu as well but they're not nearly as intuitive as the judo translations. I'm like 99% there's one of the original Gracie Fundamentals videos floating around on Youtube that would give you a good idea of all the basic positions and some movements.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Is it just me or is it really loving weird that it seems like in the US wrestling is a thing through high school, and then unless you're good enough to get a scholarship and compete on a college team, just stops being a thing?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

Is it just me or is it really loving weird that it seems like in the US wrestling is a thing through high school, and then unless you're good enough to get a scholarship and compete on a college team, just stops being a thing?

It's treated as a sport and that's how sports work in the US for the most part.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Liquid Communism posted:

That's how baseball, basketball, and american football is as well.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mekchu posted:

But people watch people above the high school level play those, and people make money doing them.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Wrestling is dying at the collegiate level; it's seen a 25% decline in athletes in the NCAA over the past few decades.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Neon Belly posted:

Wrestling is dying at the collegiate level; it's seen a 25% decline in athletes in the NCAA over the past few decades.

Makes sense, given that the IOC keeps trying to remove it from the Olympics to grandstand, and as mentioned there's no money in it except for the best of the best who learn some striking and go MMA.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Liquid Communism posted:

Makes sense, given that the IOC keeps trying to remove it from the Olympics to grandstand, and as mentioned there's no money in it except for the best of the best who learn some striking and go MMA.

Is money the only driving factor here? Colleges do all kinds of sports, and while some of them are platforms to build a career on, others like say volleyball clearly aren't a way to make a living and yet they're still practiced.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Count Roland posted:

Is money the only driving factor here? Colleges do all kinds of sports, and while some of them are platforms to build a career on, others like say volleyball clearly aren't a way to make a living and yet they're still practiced.

Prestige mostly, which theoretically gets more students and more cash, but my tuition still goes up every year while my college, who isnt even a very competitive school in sports, funds a new loving sports center or full rides a football player.

Edit: College sports are dumb, and public colleges shouldnt be funding that bullshit by increasing tuition.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Title IX is a huge factor. Wrestling is generally male only at the collegiate level but not a big money generator like football. So a lot of schools have cut it for Title IX purposes.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

A terrible shame too, considering how foundational the basic skill learned in wrestling are to almost all martial arts....

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mekchu posted:

There's dad leagues for all those sports in most towns.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yuns posted:

Title IX is a huge factor. Wrestling is generally male only at the collegiate level but not a big money generator like football. So a lot of schools have cut it for Title IX purposes.

:thermidor:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Defenestrategy posted:

Prestige mostly, which theoretically gets more students and more cash, but my tuition still goes up every year while my college, who isnt even a very competitive school in sports, funds a new loving sports center or full rides a football player.

Edit: College sports are dumb, and public colleges shouldnt be funding that bullshit by increasing tuition.

I agree. The NCAA needs to be dismantled, at least so far as football goes. It brings in over a billion dollars a year in revenue, and that is with the football playoff games all being operated separately. Div 1 football functions as a minor league for the NFL despite explicitly denying players the ability to get paid for their work, even if they are one of the many who aren't on a scholarship.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

spacetoaster posted:

There's dad leagues for all those sports in most towns.

There's one for wrestling too; it's called BJJ.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Yuns posted:

Dozens of wrestling programs were cut while Title IX was suspended for athletics under Reagan and there are more total male NCAA athletes than ever, accounting for 70% of NCAA athletes and around 80% of collegiate sports budgets. Title IX seems like a flimsy excuse.

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Aug 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Counting male athletes generally doesn't say anything about male only non money sports like wrestling. Of course schools aren't going to cut rosters and funding for big money sports like football. Since 88, about 101 wrestling programs have been shuttered. Increasing female athlete opportunities and participation is a good thing generally. I'm not making a value judgment as to whether Title IX is good or bad but rather that it's been a factor in the decline of wrestling programs. My own alma mater shuttered a wrestling program that the alumni pledged to fund all the costs of fully. It literally would have cost the school nothing. What would be your explanation as to why? Why would the Department of Education OCR have to issue their 2003 interp aaking schools not to cut programs to meet the proportionality test if it wasn't happening?

Yuns fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Aug 8, 2018