Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Have it turn a tiny water wheel to power the lights on your front steps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Drink it

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

Subjunctive posted:

Have it turn a tiny water wheel to power the lights on your front steps.

While I like this idea I suppose I left myself open for this and other more creative answers. I'm basically just wondering if I can just bury the end, bury it in stone, or if someone has a suggestion for how to make it look not so incomplete as it does now.

But maybe I'll just drink from it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

You could just hide it behind some decorative rocks that the water can drain through, maybe?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Subjunctive posted:

You could just hide it behind some decorative rocks that the water can drain through, maybe?

They make decorative grates camouflaged as bricks and blocks. No idea what they’re called, but I know I saw one when I got sucked down a Youtube path once.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

wesleywillis posted:

Whats the goon-sensus on a good book about building decks?
I see the ones at Home Despot/Blowes etc like the Dewalt/Black And Decker guide to building decks etc.... Are they any good or are there better ones out there?
Maybe something with some good, and simple plans for a basic wooden structure..

My ultimate goal would to be able to build an Octagonal deck, but the way I'm envisioning it, it seems out of the scope of an amateur.

Beuller? Beuller? Beuller?

Anyone got a suggestion? I can just look at amazon reviews or whatever, but I was hoping (lazy) someone could say " check this book out, its the poo poo".

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
What should I replace these front steps with? I plan on getting rid of the storm door and Florida windows soon, and I will most likely refinish the concrete floor of the porch as well.

Stone veneer concrete?
Wood/Trex?
Brick veneer?

I just want to get the best looking front entry without spending a ton of money or time.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
If it were me, I'd probably jackhammer that poo poo out, and just make new ones out of concrete. Measure them now and make something of the same dimensions.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
If they're in good shape structurally, it'd be a lot less work to put a veneer on them. But yeah, if they're falling apart then just replace 'em with fresh concrete steps IMO.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

wesleywillis posted:

Beuller? Beuller? Beuller?

Anyone got a suggestion? I can just look at amazon reviews or whatever, but I was hoping (lazy) someone could say " check this book out, its the poo poo".
A deck is a very simple thing but framed a bit differently from a normal house floor because it is built on posts instead of piers/slab/foundation. Any of those books you mentioned will probably tell you basically what you need to know. If you just want to know how to build/frame stuff in general Audel's has a book on carpentry/construction that will tell you what you need to know. The US Forest Service published a great book in the 50s that tells you how to frame etc, and it may be available free online, but I can't find the name of it. Because occasionally badly built decks collapse and kill people, they've become more regulated lately so you should check with your local building inspection dept. on what local codes might be.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Get rid of the side planters and put in big slabs of marble like you have a nice row home in the city.

Curiosity
Sep 12, 2012

I just need some of these 20amp D type fuses:

Nowhere near me has the stock listed on their inventory so I'm trying to get them off amazon.ca, but the only ones I can find are listed as "class G Type SC"...

https://www.amazon.ca/Bussmann-BP-SC-20-Time-Delay-Melamine/dp/B000BQSC9E/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1533418471&sr=8-10&keywords=20+amp+fuse

I can't find any documentation on what Type SC is, or what class G is, but it says time delay so I don't know how it differs from the ones I need. Am I ok to use these? They're backups for our AC.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Curiosity posted:

I just need some of these 20amp D type fuses:

Nowhere near me has the stock listed on their inventory so I'm trying to get them off amazon.ca, but the only ones I can find are listed as "class G Type SC"...

https://www.amazon.ca/Bussmann-BP-SC-20-Time-Delay-Melamine/dp/B000BQSC9E/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1533418471&sr=8-10&keywords=20+amp+fuse

I can't find any documentation on what Type SC is, or what class G is, but it says time delay so I don't know how it differs from the ones I need. Am I ok to use these? They're backups for our AC.

SC is just the Bussmann model for their fuse in the UL Class G, which defines certain aspects of performance. I believe the Bussmann you should be looking at as a direct replacement is a CDN20, which is the correct Type D replacement with the characteristics of your original.

Curiosity
Sep 12, 2012

glynnenstein posted:

SC is just the Bussmann model for their fuse in the UL Class G, which defines certain aspects of performance. I believe the Bussmann you should be looking at as a direct replacement is a CDN20, which is the correct Type D replacement with the characteristics of your original.

Thank you! It's not the answer I was hoping for since I'm having a weirdly difficult time getting the right ones, but at least I won't order the wrong ones.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Curiosity posted:

Did you fix what caused them to blow in the first place? (cold start capacitor for example.)

Curiosity
Sep 12, 2012

H110Hawk posted:

Did you fix what caused them to blow in the first place? (cold start capacitor for example.)

Possibly, having doubts though. They blew one time and I discovered the last people had put a 20D and 25P in. I'm guessing they didn't have another 20D and thought the extra 5 could handle the startup surge...

It blew again after quite some time, which is disappointing. We had the AC off for 2 hours during a window installation and we aren't sure if it ran at all when it was turned back on, it took us hours to notice it wasn't running. The house probably got muggy and hot with a gaping hole in the wall but I know that shouldn't have caused it to blow the fuses.

My father is a retired HVAC guy and will take a look eventually, but who knows when he'll be passing through town next. I was going to grab a few fuses and cross my fingers for another long stretch until he has a chance to visit, but if you have any advice on how to check something I'd be grateful! I'm good at following instructions but I've never touched a central air conditioner before.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is it bad to drill into the narrow side of a stud? I feel like it probably would be since that’s a weird way to pierce the grain, but I don’t know.

I’m trying to figure out how to mount my networking equipment so it’s not just sitting on boxes, and it seems like the best way is going to be mounting it on the wall, but since it’s an unfinished basement and the cables terminate by the stairs all I could attach to without rigging something up is the side of the stair supports.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is it bad to drill into the narrow side of a stud? I feel like it probably would be since that’s a weird way to pierce the grain, but I don’t know.

I’m trying to figure out how to mount my networking equipment so it’s not just sitting on boxes, and it seems like the best way is going to be mounting it on the wall, but since it’s an unfinished basement and the cables terminate by the stairs all I could attach to without rigging something up is the side of the stair supports.

I think the size of the hole is more important than the direction but someone may correct me. Are you drilling a hole for a cable or a screw or what?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

22 Eargesplitten posted:

If you're talking about small wood screws into a 2x4, that's fine. If there's a lot to hang, use wood screws to put plywood up and mount to that. If you really have a lot, put cross members between studs and secure them through the wide side and hang from that or mount plywood to it.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Thanks. Yeah, it's going to be one (tiny) modem, one router, two switches, and a power strip. The strip would probably be heaviest at about 2 pounds, the rest would be a pound or so each. Just a couple small wood screws each. I'd be putting them on different studs. I'll think about whether to do that or just pick up some scrap plywood off of Craigslist and put that across there. I've just currently got everything sitting on boxes.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

22 Eargesplitten posted:

That's... how you're supposed to hang TV mounts. The big ones mount with lag bolts.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Curiosity posted:

Possibly, having doubts though. They blew one time and I discovered the last people had put a 20D and 25P in. I'm guessing they didn't have another 20D and thought the extra 5 could handle the startup surge...

It blew again after quite some time, which is disappointing. We had the AC off for 2 hours during a window installation and we aren't sure if it ran at all when it was turned back on, it took us hours to notice it wasn't running. The house probably got muggy and hot with a gaping hole in the wall but I know that shouldn't have caused it to blow the fuses.

My father is a retired HVAC guy and will take a look eventually, but who knows when he'll be passing through town next. I was going to grab a few fuses and cross my fingers for another long stretch until he has a chance to visit, but if you have any advice on how to check something I'd be grateful! I'm good at following instructions but I've never touched a central air conditioner before.

The capacitors are a wear item and a pretty common part to "go." If your motor hums or has trouble getting going this is the likely cause.

I do not know how to instruct you on how to safely replace one, as mistakes are pretty bad. Call your dad, he misses you. (Seriously he can walk you though it, it's not HARD, but if the capacitor has a charge (it does) then you're in for a kick in the nuts if you bridge the contacts via your body.) Make sure you know which direction they go on, there is an "in" and an "out" side as it were. Looks like they make dual start+run capacitors which should be harder to install wrong, hopefully yours uses one.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Since this is as close to a "chat thread" as there is in diy, anybody know why Three Phase asked to be banned? He alright?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Thanks. Yeah, it's going to be one (tiny) modem, one router, two switches, and a power strip. The strip would probably be heaviest at about 2 pounds, the rest would be a pound or so each. Just a couple small wood screws each. I'd be putting them on different studs. I'll think about whether to do that or just pick up some scrap plywood off of Craigslist and put that across there. I've just currently got everything sitting on boxes.

If you're hanging a bunch of stuff mount it all to a board and mount that yes.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I have this smoke alarm that's randomly chirping and I can't seem to shut it up.
I have a hardwired smoke alarm system in my house, about 7 or so alarms all connected. They all have battery backups as well. About a year ago I had one that started chirping randomly. The alarm was over 10 years old so I figured it was time to replace it. I replaced it with a photoelectric alarm and wired it back up. Everything good.

A few weeks ago it starts chirping at me like it has a low battery. Seems that's odd, everything is wired up fine. Pull the alarm down, reconnect all the wires, everything looks good. Test the backup battery, voltage is fine but replace it anyways. Still chirping. I end up doing a whole house test on the all the alarms and suddenly the chirping goes away.

Yesterday the chirping comes back again. It started chirping for an hour or two in the morning and it went away. This morning it starts chirping again.

Anything else I can check? Has the smoke alarm gone bad? Not sure what else to check except buying another alarm.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

I’ve had a similar situation twice and both times it’s been the same problem: Many modern fire alarms have a combined fire alarm / carbon monoxide detector. If it’s chirping for a while but then goes away, that could be the cause - you’re triggering the carbon monoxide sensor but then after a few minutes, there’s enough airflow that it cleans your house out so the sensor stops beeping.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

It could also be that one of the other units s setting it off. You may have to replace the other nine, if they are all approaching the end of their useful life.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I live in a 1920s-1930s apartment in NYC. Today a bulb in a rarely-used enclosed ceiling fixture burned out, and I went to replace it and looked inside the fixture for the first time.

I knew I had original cloth-insulated wiring. I did not know that on one of the wires leading to one bulb, about 3" of the cloth was completely gone.

On a scale of 1-10, how freaked out should I be? Getting it (or anything else) fixed will require taking a few days of vacation time and pissing off my super, so if it's not that big a deal, I'd rather ignore it or fix it myself. I do have the (post-1930s) breaker box in my apartment. I have minimal electrical experience, just swapping out switches and fixtures.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I have separate carbon monoxide detectors on each floor, it’s not that.

I’ve replaced half of the detectors in the house already, maybe I should bite the bullet and just replace them all.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Anne Whateley posted:

I live in a 1920s-1930s apartment in NYC. Today a bulb in a rarely-used enclosed ceiling fixture burned out, and I went to replace it and looked inside the fixture for the first time.

I knew I had original cloth-insulated wiring. I did not know that on one of the wires leading to one bulb, about 3" of the cloth was completely gone.

On a scale of 1-10, how freaked out should I be? Getting it (or anything else) fixed will require taking a few days of vacation time and pissing off my super, so if it's not that big a deal, I'd rather ignore it or fix it myself. I do have the (post-1930s) breaker box in my apartment. I have minimal electrical experience, just swapping out switches and fixtures.

Can you see where the cloth starts & is it intact beyond that point? If it's just a few inches where the cloth has disintegrated, I'd wrap some electrical tape over it starting at the remaining cloth and going all the way down the exposed wire to the end and call it good enough. Give it a few extra winds at the start and end, and stretch it as you wrap to make it tight.

Your wiring has lasted for nearly a century without causing a fire, if your breaker box has some decent breakers and they haven't been tripping for no reason I wouldn't worry too much about hidden problems.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Is it the ground wire?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
No, there are two lines, both with dingy white cloth, leading to each bulb socket. This is one of those wires. There is no extra wire visible but I didn't take the entire fixture off my ceiling. But afaik there were no grounds then?

Nevets posted:

Can you see where the cloth starts & is it intact beyond that point? If it's just a few inches where the cloth has disintegrated, I'd wrap some electrical tape over it starting at the remaining cloth and going all the way down the exposed wire to the end and call it good enough. Give it a few extra winds at the start and end, and stretch it as you wrap to make it tight.

Your wiring has lasted for nearly a century without causing a fire, if your breaker box has some decent breakers and they haven't been tripping for no reason I wouldn't worry too much about hidden problems.
Thanks, that's definitely what I wanted to hear in terms of :effort:. No breaker has ever tripped and nothing says stab-lok on it.

I can see what appears to be intact cloth on both sides of the 3"ish clothless area, but after it goes back into the ceiling, I have no idea what the cloth status is. For all I know it could be 3" on 3" off throughout the building. Prewars!

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Anne Whateley posted:

No, there are two lines, both with dingy white cloth, leading to each bulb socket. This is one of those wires. There is no extra wire visible but I didn't take the entire fixture off my ceiling. But afaik there were no grounds then?

Thanks, that's definitely what I wanted to hear in terms of :effort:. No breaker has ever tripped and nothing says stab-lok on it.

I can see what appears to be intact cloth on both sides of the 3"ish clothless area, but after it goes back into the ceiling, I have no idea what the cloth status is. For all I know it could be 3" on 3" off throughout the building. Prewars!

Seconding just tape it. I suppose you could get fancy and heat shrink it, but that's a pain to do.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Whats the best place to post questions about landscape architecture? I saw a veggie gardening thread, but I wasn't sure if there was a better match.

Thanks!

ETA: I just found the "Plants in general" thread, my bad.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Aug 9, 2018

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Can someone "check the work" here. He notched some studs (a forums favorite) and while most of them look like <50% I am slightly concerned with the corners. It's the plumber everyone in the area uses (including us previously), licensed/bonded/insured that sorta thing. Above the new pipe is a window.

Closeup of the corner nearest the new outlet.

(Trust me, this was the easy way. He drilled "down" then crawled under the floor to find it and there are concrete steps in the way.)

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

That's loving terrible.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
What's the best sort of product/concrete mix to repair this old post hole in a concrete foot path? I think it had been repaired in the distant path but the 'new' concrete had broken away over time and a sycamore sapling had taken hold in the neighbour's side of the fence.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

Can someone "check the work" here. He notched some studs (a forums favorite) and while most of them look like <50% I am slightly concerned with the corners. It's the plumber everyone in the area uses (including us previously), licensed/bonded/insured that sorta thing. Above the new pipe is a window.

(Trust me, this was the easy way. He drilled "down" then crawled under the floor to find it and there are concrete steps in the way.)

haha holy gently caress balls, time to get him to use his insurance to pay someone else to fix his "work"

edit: I don't know local code where you are, perhaps if none of those walls are load bearing that's acceptable? Which as a plumber he wouldn't know so that'd take a structural engineer to determine. But I can't imagine that's ok even if they aren't structural walls.

tangy yet delightful fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Aug 9, 2018

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

H110Hawk posted:

I've done better work than that on barns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Around here, I think it's no more than 25% notch in an exterior/load bearing or 40% otherwise. That corner looks bogus to me if it's bearing (which it is).

It looks pretty sloppy all around, so I'm not surprised if it doesn't meet code.