Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

I have this fish grip and it works great. It floats and glows in the dark, and the plastic is pretty heavy-duty so it's stood up to a lot of abuse. Once it's locked on a fish's lip they're going nowhere until I say so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
I went down to my local spot this evening, high tide coincided with sunset which is generally good for fishing. I found a school of Australian salmon in close and spent 20 minutes throwing a lure at them. I got a number of hits, hooked about half a dozen and landed four. I took one home for tea and threw the rest back after a quick photo

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
I'm the penis lure. (I also used to exotic dance under the name "The Penis Lure").

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I love seeing the dick spoon get results! :neckbeard:

I got a little rock bass on a roundhead that I made and a chartreuse grub. I didn't have any kind of rig at all, just tied it to my main line and casted around. In hindsight I should have had a little swivel and leader on there; I wound up getting a pretty bad knot on my ultralight spinning reel and I think that line twist was to blame. Anyway, it was sunny and I was casting along the shadow of the pier, hoping that there would be crappie or perch hanging out in the structure. I accidentally caught bass, whoops.

One thing that I dislike about pier fishing is that it's basically impossible to release the fish without taking it out of water. I feel a little better about it since I've gotten great hookups with these jigs so far: fish get hooked through the top of the mouth and I haven't had a single gut-hooked accidental death on my hands with them. This guy went off strong, no worse for the wear.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Fishbrain is a cool app for looking at local fish pics. I should've checked it out when sockington mentioned it a while back

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Hooplah posted:

Fishbrain is a cool app for looking at local fish pics. I should've checked it out when sockington mentioned it a while back

I've never used it myself but I've been told by a friend that you need to be careful how you use it or your fishing spots will be visible to other users.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

gay picnic defence posted:

I've never used it myself but I've been told by a friend that you need to be careful how you use it or your fishing spots will be visible to other users.

I just submit general spots, or when told to ID exactly where, just select up river where it lets me choose “ST CLAIR RIVER” instead of whichever creek is closest. Keeping those cards somewhat close to the chest.

I don’t pay for it, but I log the poo poo out of it so I can look back and see the stuff. They added a private message option for free, so you can also PM people and get some back and forth about local stuff. I’ve been asked about kayaking a lot recently. No one else drift fishes with the unpowered ones, just sit and cast. The constant movement, docks, boats, snags, false hits on the rod, real hits on the rod, and so on makes it exciting in a different way.

When the current is slow and I’m paddling to keep a trolling pace, it can be really crap and I start wishing I was better at sit and cast type stuff. I never get anything with it, second guess, and spend my time changing stuff constantly and being disappointed.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Hitting the upper Kinni on Saturday. If I catch one it's going here.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.
I was fishing the bay today on my lunch, but a different bay. I caught a fish! Was a hard fighting spotty. I think he gnawed on my line though, because a few minutes later I had minor backlash and my 1/4 oz jig head + swim bait went flying towards a boat. As I saw it flying I was trying to decide what I was going to do when it broke a window or something, luckily it landed about a foot away from the boat. lol. Fishing by the docks is scary.

I gotta say though, getting a heavier lure really made that reel come alive. My first time with the Curado K I was throwing a weightless fluke, so it was backlash city. My second time was with a 3/16 jig, which is just shy of the minimum rod rating of 1/4, and it was kinda lame. This time though, man, I turned it down to 2/4 brakes and I was freaking BOMBING some casts. What a difference just a little more weight makes.

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
Got to mix up some salt and fresh water fishing this weekend. Only one keeper fluke out of the bay so that was kind of a bust, but I caught my first ever carp and my smallest ever largemouth in the canal so I guess that's something.

The carp was actually a really fun fight on ultralight gear, I don't know why carp fishing isn't more popular here.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sup dude, I have also recently caught a carp on ultralight, a teeny tiny bass, and a halibut although mine was a baby.

:hf:

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Oh gently caress I'm looking into rodbuilding. What is wrong with me. Not until I get the boat, though. A boat will get me closer to salmon than any number of new rods will.

Must fill smoker. Must fill freezer. :cabot:

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Fished for three hours & the bass didn't give a gently caress. Not even the venerable Ned Rig got any play. Caught a lot of weeds though. :suicide:

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Hey, you're not the only one. Went out yesterday for a few hours and caught nothing but a small tree branch.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

ROFLburger posted:

Hey, you're not the only one. Went out yesterday for a few hours and caught nothing but a small tree branch.

PAF August 2018: Post a Branch

Yussss! And yeah, totally get a vacuum sealer. Costco has a great FoodSaver bundle that goes on sale pretty regularly. I use mine all of the time.
VVV

A Pack of Kobolds fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Aug 13, 2018

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

I went out to the Pass-a-Grille jetty Wednesday morning, probably won't go back. The jetty is tiny and parking was $2.75/hr. There was a group of baby boomers on the end who kept pulling up some gorgeous pompano (the species I went to target) and spanish mackerel. Also saw them catch a flounder, some big ladyfish, and a couple nice mangrove snapper. Their gear was spread out all over the jetty so I felt like I was constantly in their way. I was stuck casting out towards the beach or the flat shallow part of the channel, no bites and caught nothing but weeds. After a few hours I went to the skyway pier to load up on greenbacks (lots of fish will eat a chunk or strip of greenback), with the red tide going on stocking up on bait for the freezer seemed prudent. Ended up with 37! Caught a little blue runner and a little Atlantic bumper on the sabiki too, didn't keep either of 'em.

My doomsday prep, I need to get a vacuum sealer:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Went up to camp near a small town called Gorrie in Ontario again this weekend. The local river is the Maitland which is well known for great fishing by Goderich where it empties into Lake Huron, but we were further up by the headwaters where it’s never more than a meter deep. We were there for Canada Day and I tried some fishing but didn’t have much luck. Fished a little pool under a tiny man made waterfall and caught a bunch of tiny bullheads, and tried the local park in Gorrie and didn’t catch anything but saw tons of big carp.

This time around I tried wading downstream from where we were camping and found a few good holes maybe only 100-200 meters down. First threw on a size 2 spinner to gauge if there was anything active in the water. Grabbed about 5 rock bass before pulling out my first smallie, about a 12”er. This emboldened me to try a senko, and after about 3 casts I hooked onto another decent smallmouth, maybe 14-15”, but threw the hook.

Then the hunt was on. I kept the senko on and cast into rock piles for about another half hour before hooking up to the biggest fish of the day.

Just a hair under 17”! I was pretty surprised to find fish like these in such shallow headwaters. And because no one fishes around here it seems, the fish were biting quite readily. As you can see I decided to keep this one and cook him on the camp fire. He gave an awesome fight, jumped multiple times and made me think I was gonna lose another.

All in all a great weekend and I’m looking forward to going back for more.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

I wanted to diversify my Bay lure options, so I got some jerkbaits. $50 for this lot, crazy huh? Those Lucky Crafts are $20 a pop.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I bought one of those crystal shrimp and lost it on the first cast.

Let me know how it goes! I normally fish live bait cause I’m a crummy fisherman and it’s much easier but I’m gonna give artificial an honest try tomorrow.

Hopefully I get some fish to post.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

I was just in it for the Lucky Craft to be honest, he threw the others in with them. I'm a little apprehensive about the shrimp, they look gimmicky and easy to snag up. Super pumped to throw the jerkbaits though! Gonna go in to work late tomorrow, do a few hours of fishing in the morning. I'd love to catch a halibut, maybe a corvina.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I've got a handful of those yozuri shrimp, they have a good action, look good in the water and such, but I can't catch poo poo with them. Thats likely more my fault than anything though.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

I know nothing about halibut fishing beyond the things I've picked up watching fishing videos on youtube, but how do you plan on getting those jerkbaits down to the strike zone? I was under the impression weighting them down would kill their (very expensive!) action. Are Bay Area halibut in the shallows?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Hooplah posted:

I know nothing about halibut fishing beyond the things I've picked up watching fishing videos on youtube, but how do you plan on getting those jerkbaits down to the strike zone? I was under the impression weighting them down would kill their (very expensive!) action. Are Bay Area halibut in the shallows?

Yes. Also they are disgusting worm burgers. Never seen so many parasites on a critter that was otherwise healthy.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

Yes. Also they are disgusting worm burgers. Never seen so many parasites on a critter that was otherwise healthy.

Gross. Is that just for Bay Area halibut or are north Pacific halibut that way too?

This is a nice fish right here. Do river bass taste better than lake bass? One day I will know their mysteries.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Hooplah posted:

I'm in San Diego, actually. The water isn't crazy deep when you're shore fishing and they'll come up and eat em. Or so I've heard! This morning was quite eventful. My third cast with one of those Lucky Craft lures and I hooked into a good little spotted bay bass. Unfortunately, while I was trying to climb down the rocks without killing myself to grab it, he wedged himself in some rocks. I got him out by poking his rear end with the tip of my rod but then my line looped around an eyelet and he got into another rock while I addressed that, which I didn't get him out of. Womp womp, $20 in his face. 5 minutes later I made an awkward cast because of my footing and the rocks behind me, got a backlash which launched the jerkbait off into the sea... :smithicide:

The good news is I spotted that second bait floating a little ways out and I was able to snag it. The bad news is, I didn't catch any more fish.

Addition: It's crazy how fast things get rusty. That jerkbait that I retrieved already has rust on the hooks. It was only in the water for maybe 30 minutes, then I fished it some more afterwards, shook it off, and put it in the tackle box until just now when I had a chance to rinse it and my reel off.

joem83 fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Aug 16, 2018

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Gross. Is that just for Bay Area halibut or are north Pacific halibut that way too?

This is a nice fish right here. Do river bass taste better than lake bass? One day I will know their mysteries.

I’m gonna assume that’s just flat fish in general. But in the Bay the substrate was mud. I worked for a summer on a science research vessel that used an otter trawl to scoop up the bottom and then I would inspect every fish we caught for external parasites. Every. loving. Fish. Including the schools of anchovies we sometimes caught.

Halibut were the worst for just being living bags of parasites.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

joem83 posted:

I'm in San Diego, actually. The water isn't crazy deep when you're shore fishing and they'll come up and eat em. Or so I've heard! This morning was quite eventful. My third cast with one of those Lucky Craft lures and I hooked into a good little spotted bay bass. Unfortunately, while I was trying to climb down the rocks without killing myself to grab it, he wedged himself in some rocks. I got him out by poking his rear end with the tip of my rod but then my line looped around an eyelet and he got into another rock while I addressed that, which I didn't get him out of. Womp womp, $20 in his face. 5 minutes later I made an awkward cast because of my footing and the rocks behind me, got a backlash which launched the jerkbait off into the sea... :smithicide:

The good news is I spotted that second bait floating a little ways out and I was able to snag it. The bad news is, I didn't catch any more fish.

Addition: It's crazy how fast things get rusty. That jerkbait that I retrieved already has rust on the hooks. It was only in the water for maybe 30 minutes, then I fished it some more afterwards, shook it off, and put it in the tackle box until just now when I had a chance to rinse it and my reel off.

Get yourself some split ring pliers and a few packs of Decoy singles, much more corrosion resistant compared to the crappy trebles most lures come with

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

gay picnic defence posted:

Get yourself some split ring pliers and a few packs of Decoy singles, much more corrosion resistant compared to the crappy trebles most lures come with

Yeah, it's on my to do list- figuring out the right size hooks and split rings so I can upgrade them. They look pretty flimsy on the LC's, which is funny considering they're so expensive.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Elmnt80 posted:

I've got a handful of those yozuri shrimp, they have a good action, look good in the water and such, but I can't catch poo poo with them. Thats likely more my fault than anything though.

I feel the same way about live target frogs. I read the reviews, everyone went on and on about how awesome they were and how many fish they caught with them because they look so realistic, but I've had some for 5+ years and still gently caress all.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

wesleywillis posted:

I feel the same way about live target frogs. I read the reviews, everyone went on and on about how awesome they were and how many fish they caught with them because they look so realistic, but I've had some for 5+ years and still gently caress all.

Throw away the LT frogs and buy some Jackall Gavachos, they're so good.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Whopper Ploppers seem to be the hot ticket locally. $20 a lure though.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

What about them justifies the premium over, say, a KVD swimbait?

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Enigma posted:

What about them justifies the premium over, say, a KVD swimbait?

The plopper is a topwater bait that gets some pretty big strikes! They were huge here on the west coast for a while and still get some great bites.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Can confirm, even little fish launch out of the water

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Is there a fly discusso thread too or is this the fishing megathread?

The question behind the question is if anyone has experience with turnaround times on broken Orvis rods.

Content: Here’s a fish.

Here’s where he lives.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

A few of us in here are fly people. Never needed an orvis repair, though.

CHUCK WAS TAKEN
Aug 1, 2004
this kid has heart

Dangerllama posted:

Is there a fly discusso thread too or is this the fishing megathread?

The question behind the question is if anyone has experience with turnaround times on broken Orvis rods.

Content: Here’s a fish.

Here’s where he lives.

I've done about 3 total replacements and 3 repairs on broken Orivs rods. I'm probably the reason they charge $25 to process warranty claims now. Usually takes about 3 weeks

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Went to a family friend’s dock and caught every little perch in the area it seemed.

Ended up with three take home perch.

Went out last night in the middle of the night. I couldn’t get any action on my twister, so tossed out a worm and got a good old Rocky pretty quick.

Today I went out on my friend’s boat with my son. He caught his first walleye ever on my ultra-light Ugly Stik.

End up with only a few keepers. Tossed a lot of tiny perch today.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Spent the weekend chasing arctic grayling. Super fun. They are definitely one of the more challenging species to catch on a fly rod!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

gamera009 posted:

Spent the weekend chasing arctic grayling. Super fun. They are definitely one of the more challenging species to catch on a fly rod!

Graylings have such cool fins! Awesome fish, dude.

Sockington, nice work as always, and congrats to your kid for meeting Walter!

It is too smoky to be outside right now and all I want to do is get a line wet, gently caress.