Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

doverhog posted:

That sounds like laziness to me. Why would you trust the Al Gore Rhythm to decide what you watch?

Because you are correct, I am incredibly lazy in all things. Admittedly it's not perfect, especially if you or someone you share your account with watches something you don't like and throws it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
The Rhytm is not a bad idea, you know as a thing that gives you recommendations, but I fundamentally disagree with the idea that Steam or Netflix should take on the kind of role you're talking about. Limiting what you have access to based on someones idea of what is "good".

Metrofreak
Mar 17, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I don't think it's translates as cleanly. It's not about what is good, but what is functioning and complete.

It's less like if Netflix uploaded a bunch of bad movies and shows, but more like if they uploaded a bunch of trailers for movies that don't get released and pilots for shows that don't get picked up and left them in the movie and TV sections as if they were finished.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I remember years ago I tried to watch Newsradio on netflix and i think they just uploaded a bunch of crappy xvid encodes to the site. The audio kept losing sync with the video and the video quality was godawful.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I think amazon prime video would have been better for me to compare to, because they're what happens to a video service with absolutely no standards. On the surface it's good and if you never dig any deeper than the top recommendations you will never notice, but try going into a genre (especially horror) and sort by release date and watch a random one that you haven't heard of. If you're lucky you'll get something that looks like a film student's final project that probably got a C. They have so many bad movies, I couldn't believe it. Fortunately they hide them from you better than steam so you'll never stumble on to one of them unless you are trying to.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
All the bad games on steam only reinforce my prejudice against indie products.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

It's like no one here has heard of Sturgeon's Law.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Blue Star posted:

Video games are worthless and anyone who plays video games is worthless. This goes for the entire political spectrum. Anyone who complains about video games, the video game industry, video game journalism, etc. is a loving dipshit loser.

"Oh boo hoo, there's sexy ladies in this game, waaaaah sexist!!!" -- an ugly cis lady, probably
"Waaaaah SJWs are ruining vidja games" -- an obese manbaby probably

Here's the cold hard facts: none of that poo poo matters. Yes, "they" are ruining video games. And they deserve to be ruined. I'm gonna be honest: my futa cock gets ROCK loving HARD when i imagine myself travelling the world, smashing video game consoles and gaming PCs left and right, right in front of snotty-nosed tearful nerds begging me to stop. Your begging only makes my girlcock harder. Same goes for bluehaired SJWs: my face takes on a rictus grin as I imagine myself giving ALL the characters huge boobs and badonkadonks...and then smashing every video game that has a cis female protagonist. None of y'all get to have video games when I'm queen. My regime will get worse than that, once the mass executions begin. But by that point, you'll WANT to die, nerd.

holy gently caress, Hillary IS an SA poster

edit: sorry, I mean "HRC", sorry if I offended anyone :saddowns:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

doverhog posted:

That sounds like laziness to me. Why would you trust the Al Gore Rhythm to decide what you watch?

Because the man knows how to celebrate good times.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Kebabs (the skewer kind) are very overrated and I'd never order one intentionally. They are annoying to get off the thing and they are almost always dried out because it's really hard to cook bite sized chunks of things properly. I don't get why places cook things that way beyond being able to sell meat for a higher price per ounce than they normally would have. If you're grilling in your back yard and want to be able to grill things like shrimps then fine, use them since it's practical, but the restaurant version sucks and is a ripoff.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
They should've filmed the Harry Potter movies in the desert of the American west. But still have it be set in Britain. Just say that Britain has a big desert in it that wizards have hidden from the Muggles. That would've made the whole thing much more magical, and made the movies much more visually interesting.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Guy Goodbody posted:

They should've filmed the Harry Potter movies in the desert of the American west. But still have it be set in Britain. Just say that Britain has a big desert in it that wizards have hidden from the Muggles. That would've made the whole thing much more magical, and made the movies much more visually interesting.

Or they could have gone with the traditional British technique of filming everything in a quarry.

Mapster
Aug 3, 2018

...but with an 'M'
I think music by Queen is massively overrated and songs like Bohemian Rhapsody with its opera-part are absolute annoying and shouldn't be part of any party playlist.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

yep Queen is played out

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I really don't like the new generation of music, it's all just basic beats and some autotuned white boy singing about xanax. gently caress off.

then again the complete opposite of what I described is Death Grips, and they are perfect

spit on my clit has a new favorite as of 20:23 on Aug 6, 2018

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
There is literally more music in more styles than ever before

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Henchman of Santa posted:

There is literally more music in more styles than ever before

Well yeah if you actually go looking. A hell of a lot of people don't. Some scientists actually studied it and it turns out that the most popular music is getting simpler and louder. Has been for decades. There's a lot of things coming together that makes the top 40 stuff pretty uniformly garbage.

Thanks to the internet it's also easier to find, you know, literally anything else.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
The reason top 40 songs sound the same is that they're all written by the same five or six people and have been since the 90s. The most successful songwriter not associated with the Beatles is a Swedish guy named Max Martin.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

None of those ~viral~ videos of nurses/cops/etc dancing or lip-syncing to popular music are funny or heart-warming or whatever feel-good thing people say they are, at least not to me. It's the kind of thing that is probably only funny if you know who all those people are, but for some reason the internet in general can't get enough of them. All I see is a bunch of employees probably forced by management to do free marketing for them. I hope they at least get a cut from the youtube ad money.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
With cops especially they come off as extremely disingenuous attempts to make them seem cool when they’re not busy terrorizing marginalized people

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

a textbook case of too much internet, right there

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

With cops especially they come off as extremely disingenuous attempts to make them seem cool when they’re not busy terrorizing marginalized people

Yeah it probably wasn't fair for me to lump them in with everyone else since the intention is different (even if they pretend its the same on the surface). I just don't like viral videos im general, unless they are approved by dr mantis toboggan, MD.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

lavaca posted:

The reason top 40 songs sound the same is that they're all written by the same five or six people and have been since the 90s. The most successful songwriter not associated with the Beatles is a Swedish guy named Max Martin.

Yup. Plus there's a pretty specific formula that gets your attention the easiest. There's a few similar motifs that keep showing up over and over and, well, the brain likes patterns. Familiar patterns are safe and make you feel good so the brain looks for those. Doesn't help that the mainstream recording industry has a tight strangle hold on controlling who gets huge and who doesn't. The internet is helping with that last part but the major industry can't die fast enough.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Lost In Translation is terrible. and kinda racist.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I would look into that if it were literally anyone but you saying it

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

Lost In Translation is terrible. and kinda racist.

It's really boring mostly

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

It's really boring mostly

Yeah it's loving tedious.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone can be racist. You can be racist towards whites. Racism is prejudice based on race, not "prejudice + power" or whatever bullshit people came up with on the internet. Nobody on the loving planet actually believes that. And it makes no loving sense. Power is relative. If the "prejudice + power" definition were true, then it would be impossible to be racist towards Chinese people in China, or soon anywhere in the world since China is gonna be the next dominant global superpower. And also, according to this definition, it WILL be possible to be racist to whites in a few decades when they become a minority. But somehow i dont think woke idiots really intended it that way.

Now you can argue that its okay to be racist to white people or that white people deserve it for blah blah blah "centuries of white supremacy" or whatever the gently caress, but stop trying to redefine words that already had pretty clear definitions. Racism = prejudice based on race. Sexism = prejudice based on biological sex. Agism = prejudice based on age. Its not complicated.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tamales suck. The only difference between a good tamale and a bad tamale is how much meat is left over after I get rid of the lardy cornmeal turd surrounding it.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Yakuza is an overrated game series

they are alright games, but the fans won't loving shut up about them and its tedious

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Youtube implemented the option to speed up videos by 2x because they noticed about 100% of content was far too boring for a normal sane adult to watch at regular speed.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

CrRoMa posted:

they are alright games, but the fans won't loving shut up about them and its tedious

this article about yakuza, however, is not overrated at all

https://boingboing.net/2010/08/10/yakuza-3-review.html

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Youtube implemented the option to speed up videos by 2x because they noticed about 100% of content was far too boring for a normal sane adult to watch at regular speed.

Actual TV is also better at 2x speed.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tiggum posted:

Actual TV is also better at 2x speed.

I don't think we're watching the same programmes.

e: Now I'm imagining a BBC crime fiction show where every episode starts with John Nettles wearing a baseball cap shouting "HELLO EVERYONE TODAY I WILL BE SOLVING A MURDER! I HAVE NEVER SOLVED THIS KIND OF MURDER BEFORE SO I'M REALLY EXITED TO SEE HOW IT TURNS OUT! IF YOU'D LIKE TO SEE PREVIOUS MURDERS I'VE SOLVED I'LL PUT THE LINKS DOWN BELOW! THIS IS NOT A REVIEW OR ANYTHING THIS IS A MURDER INVESTIGATION! THIS EPISODE IS SPONSORED BY AUDIBLES DOT COM BE SURE TO CLICK THE LINK BELOW IF YOU LIKE AUDIBLE THINGS! OK SO WITHOUT FURTHER ADO LET'S SEE WHAT KIND OF MURDER WE HAVE TODAY! THIS MURDER WAS KINDLY DONE ON THE VICTIM BY CHASTITYRAVEN420 FROM HOLLAND SO A BIG THANKS TO CHASTITYR--- WAIT AM I PRONOUNCING THIS CORRECTLY?! CHASTITYRAVEN420! OK I'M SURE I BUTCHERED THAT BUT I DON'T REALLY SPEAK HOLLANDAISE! SO WITHOUT FURDER ADO LET'S GET TO SOLVING THIS MURDER! OH IF MY VOICE SOUNDS FUNNY IT'S BECAUSE I HAD A COLD SEVEN YEARS AGO SO I HOPE IT'S OK! BE SURE TO LIKE THIS VIDEO AND SUBSCRIBE TO BBC IF YOU WANT TO SEE ME SOLVE SOME MORE MURDERS AND ALSO CONSIDER CONTRIBUTING BY PAYING YOUR LICENSE FEE!" into the camera and then before, during, and after every part of the investigation he slowly and tediously explains what is about to happen, what is happening, and what just happened, despite every viewer being able to loving see and understand it without explanation. Also half the running time consists solely of trying to get the camera to focus.

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 09:48 on Aug 8, 2018

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CrRoMa posted:

"yare yare go take a nap" - kiryu kazuma, main character of the Yakuza series

Clam Chowdown
May 8, 2006

That's an unacceptable answer, Donny!

veni veni veni posted:

Tamales suck. The only difference between a good tamale and a bad tamale is how much meat is left over after I get rid of the lardy cornmeal turd surrounding it.

Out of the thousands of terrible opinions posted in this thread, this is the first one that made me want to punch somebody.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

CrRoMa posted:

People who are obsessed with mafias, especially "the yakuza" (they tend to think it's just one organization), are insufferable. They are nothing but street gangs with more money and fancier clothes, but people seem to think they are all ~honorable samurai~ or some poo poo and race to quora after seeing tokyo drift to ask "how do I, a white american nerd, join the yakuza?".

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I see ten times more nerds saying that poo poo than worshipping the mafia so that's not really an unpopular opinion

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Jared Leto is starring in a movie where he joins the yakuza so it's still a thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Crime is bad.

The State is good.