Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thrasher
Apr 21, 2002

Thin Privilege posted:

That is a wonderful bed. Unfortunately they don’t ship to US :(

I’m sure they do? I just happened to post the .ca link. Here is the US option: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003XJJEOS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_8J7yBb7F568F4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It's the second day of the month and I've already hit my sales quota. Plus I got a surprise four day weekend today. PLUS, I'm going on a second date/two day trip with a woman I've only known for three hours.

It's been a long time since I've rolled the dice like that, so I'm looking forward to either having a good time or having my kidneys stolen.

And my buddy from Texas is visiting when I get back. I really need this time off, so it's pretty great.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Thrasher posted:

I’m sure they do? I just happened to post the .ca link. Here is the US option: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003XJJEOS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_8J7yBb7F568F4

Thank you!! I don’t know why it didn’t work before.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I went for an 8 mile solo hike in Wyoming and got to see some wildlife. It was really cool.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Kinda humblebraggy, but I defended a kid using one of those mobility scooters at a grocery store from an old lady who was trying to shame the kid using it instead of her. Felt really good to tell off the lady that, hey, don't try and shame a person for using it if they have to.

The kid had a broken leg, so I'm sure 80% of it came from the fact that the old person was white and the kid was black, so I felt like I had to step in.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

MisterBibs posted:

Kinda humblebraggy, but I defended a kid using one of those mobility scooters at a grocery store from an old lady who was trying to shame the kid using it instead of her. Felt really good to tell off the lady that, hey, don't try and shame a person for using it if they have to.

The kid had a broken leg, so I'm sure 80% of it came from the fact that the old person was white and the kid was black, so I felt like I had to step in.

This is a great thing to do. If it was me I would be so grateful and happy if someone stood up for me while being picked on. I'm sure the kid was appreciative.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

I've been stuck in my cubicle for the last 6 months since my commands's travel budget got gutted and I've slowly been sinking into a malaise since I can't really do my job well with just email and a phone and I hate being stuck sitting in nowhere mid-western blah.

I've been trying to help one of our sub-orgs in Europe get some projects finished, but I've kind of ran out of things I can do for them remotely. I was feeling bad since I was one of the people sent over to open the site, but my previous trip ended last year with a lot of things left hanging that they really don't have the manpower to do in-house.

This week I got word that the site staff convinced the new site Commander to go to his superiors and fight tooth and nail to claw back $10K of end of year funds to pay for a TDY and by-name request me to be the person on it. I'll get to spend 5 weeks working on the issues in person again, work with some of my US and Dutch friends again, and time away from my miserable cubicle.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

We got a new oven at the end of last year, and I used it back in... february? I think, to bake a christmas cake.

First time using it for a big, slow cake bake, so I was a bit apprehensive. The recipe means I don't get to even open the oven door and look at the cake for 4+hours so that first look was quite a big deal and was not good - the cake looked very dark, possibly even a bit burnt.

:(

However, possibly-burned-cake was used today as a birthday cake and it's fine - not burned on the outside OR raw on the inside!

So I know my standard cake recipe, temperature and timing work in the new oven - this is a great relief, I was not looking forward to tweaking my timings for the next few years to get decent christmas cakes again. Got to get busy and bake another cake for this Christmas now - I might even make 2!

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Just found out that the NRA is in dire financial straits and seemingly on its last legs.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/nra-financial-trouble-706371/

^^^^Why are you baking for Christmas? It's August

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
You had a possibly burnt cake sitting in reserve since February?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Astrofig posted:

Just found out that the NRA is in dire financial straits and seemingly on its last legs.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/nra-financial-trouble-706371/

^^^^Why are you baking for Christmas? It's August

I wish, but they're not. This is an intentional misrepresentation of their internal workings in order to pander for more donations. They're the best-funded lobbyist group in the US.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I know it sounds weird, but most traditional christmas cake recipes will tell you to bake the cake at least a month before you plan to eat it - they really don't taste very good otherwise. I've gotten into the habit of making them at least 6 months before we're actually going to eat them, but the risk of problems due to the new oven made me wary of keeping this one til Christmas.

The best christmas cake I ever made was over a year old when it was eaten - they don't go stale or 'off' since they are basically a solid block of dried fruit mixed with fat, sugar and brandy.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Astrofig posted:

The best part of this is all the people tweeting "Thoughts and prayers!" at them.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
The NRA are the most cynical motherfuckers on Planet Earth, I'll believe they're on death's door when I can visit the tombstone.

Hirayuki posted:

The best part of this is all the people tweeting "Thoughts and prayers!" at them.

This is good, though.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Spent like 3 hours at the pool today.

I think I've finally managed to figure out how to tread water without tiring out in 30 seconds and now I'm planning my week to see how often I can go swimming again.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I just got back from seeing Tinariwen. I've loved them for years. Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine I would actually get to see them in person, especially here at home in Canada, and yet they played the concert hall of my own university. I'm blown away. Their music is fantastic and they have such an incredible and interesting history. Some of them were rebel fighters in Libya, they've been sought for arrest, kidnapping, and death for promoting the wrong values and being a voice for rebels in the Sahara, one of them even was captured a few years ago but managed to escape. The founder of the band witnessed his father's execution at age 4 then was given a guitar in a refugee camp when he was a child. And I was just in their presence for the evening. I still can't believe it actually happened.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
One year ago I took up writing as a serious hobby, starting from a blank website and a few scattered ideas. 200,000 words and multiple unique story arcs later,I'm blown away at the content I've created, and the growth I've seen in my own writing.

I just put the final touches on a reflective post that looks back over the past year, and I'm genuinely excited to share it with friends and family, come morning. I look forward to the future and what it may bring, and that's not something I was able to say two years ago.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I haven't posted in the awesome day thread in a while.

My wife and I closed on our home today. It's awesome.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I applied for a full time backshift position where I work, but someone with years of seniority did too. Well today I learned she's likely to take a position at a different hospital instead, meaning the only other person I know who wants the backshift is a dude that got hired after me :toot:

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

I got sent to Washington State for business, and had to travel from Tacoma to Yakima and back. So yesterday I had breakfast in a rainforest, lunch in a desert, crossed the Cascades twice, drove by a forest fire, followed a volcano evacuation route, and picked up Enis the German hitchhiker who had quit her job and sold her belongings to go and hike the Pacific Crest Trail.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Work has been insanely busy this summer, but today is so friggin hot that nobody's here and I am fuckin living for it. It's so nice not being worked to death. I get to just relax in an air conditioned store.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

wilderthanmild posted:

I haven't posted in the awesome day thread in a while.

My wife and I closed on our home today. It's awesome.

My wife and I finally sold the home we've been trying to unload for more than a year. It was getting pretty hairy as we were coming close to having two mortgages but fortunately our realtor was awesome.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
My day today:

--Applied for a job in a bookstore and got hired on the spot.

--Had an awesome, fun day with the wife and kids

--The Cubs won on a walk off grand slam (sportsball!)

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
After a refreshing nap and a few good video games with friends, I was inspired to try my hand at writing in a new genre, and am pleasantly surprised with the results.

It feels really good to stretch and grow.

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene
Found out that there is a little independent art supply store less than 10 minutes walking distance from my apartment. I went and checked them out, and they have a surprisingly wide variety. Plus, they offer classes which I've been looking into doing.
So excited :swoon:

(Bonus: got the last Alolan Pokemon I needed for Pokemon Go)

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Came out to some friends from the Catholic volunteering group we all belong to, and they were super awesome about it, saying they will support me in everything. I was dreading this but it went entirely fine! :)

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Hello double post, goodbye double post.

VanguardFelix
Oct 10, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
I’ve been kinda down on myself for letting my social life fall apart but tonight I went to a bachata class and it was a blast :3:

They’re having a social next month though and it’s being you’re own partner and I’m at a complete loss.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

I have been exercising and eating less sugar for the past week or so, and I feel healthier and weigh a little less. Small steps so far, but having results already is really nice!

e: also I forgot that I got this gang tag that I don't really understand but the visual is funny

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
I saw a really sweet documentary about guide dog puppies and then got to come home and play with my dog who I love very much and is the best dog ever (like they all are).

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
This was last night but
I've been eating right and exercising for months, seeing good results but it really hit home how far I've come when I hastily threw on some old pants to do a grocery run.
I'd had to cut new holes for the top button twice already to keep them as a useable pair of jeans but hadn't worn them since for maybe a month and a half.
Anyway, in the store I discovered that if I didn't hold them up they might fall completely down to my ankles. :doh:

Happy to pitch them in the trash when I got home :dance:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Yay Spin :)

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

The owner of the place I'm staying next week called me to give me some tips to make my trip easier, including buying groceries in a less remote place and bringing them in myself because it's cheaper. But I also want to support the community. So I may get the more expensive food any way.

tallest crocodile
Sep 10, 2011

How a TV show about Pre-historic life would reconstruct a goon.

FreshFeesh posted:

One year ago I took up writing as a serious hobby, starting from a blank website and a few scattered ideas. 200,000 words and multiple unique story arcs later,I'm blown away at the content I've created, and the growth I've seen in my own writing.

I just put the final touches on a reflective post that looks back over the past year, and I'm genuinely excited to share it with friends and family, come morning. I look forward to the future and what it may bring, and that's not something I was able to say two years ago.

This is awesome! Kudos to you for sticking with it.

My notoriously unsocial and prissy cat randomly decided she was going to snuggle with me in bed this morning.

(Also, while previewing this post, I noticed somewhat bought an av for me, which is a first! So that’s two awesome things.)

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
I misread the schedule. I get bonus pay to sit and watch Animal Planet and make sure suicidal guy doesn't do anything.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
I got my flu shot! :woop:

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Today I made the decision to turn some of my blog ramblings into an actual book, and registered a domain name for my (hopeful) future writing career.

It's scary and frightening but exciting and intense and I look forward to taking my new plot outline and making it a living, breathing world.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
A patient's family snuck her dog into the hospital and they let me pet it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

It's cold today! If it rains, then it won't be smokey either! This summer has been brutal.