Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

The Dregs posted:

OK, so my crotchety old bastard of a friend really wants to run his 'Dream D&D Campaign". I've seen his notes, some of them are over 30 years old. This will end badly, but it is sure to be a wild ride. His main rule is no magic. Sword and Sorcery, Conan style. Only humans. One guy got a special dispensation to play a halfling reskinned as a motherfucking midget. We're allowed one cleric, and she is supposed to only memorize healing supporty type stuff. His one exception is that if we can come up with a character concept that uses low-key magic stuff reskinned as mundane, he will allow it. So I am thinking beastmaster ranger.

Problem is that ranger is a mess? Apparently the one in the PHB sucks, and has been rewritten a few times or something. It confuses me. Can someone give me a little advice on making a ranger given the guidelines above?

The ranger in the corebook is quite bad, and the beastmaster is especially so since it's been cut down massively to avoid issues with the action economy. There is a Revised Ranger online which is a bit better. It's still got some issues but in a no-magic game you're kind of hosed for options. The Revised Ranger is here. This beastmaster isn't bad in this version since it doesn't take your action to order it around.

I know this thread doesn't appreciate blunt dismissals, but any D&D campaign where magic isn't allowed is one you should avoid at all costs. Magic is a massive part of the system's flavor, fun, decision making and most of all the maths. Unless this guy swaps to a system where this can actually work, it's going to be a flop. That's not a judgement on D&D, it's just a system built on magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

The Dregs posted:

OK, so my crotchety old bastard of a friend really wants to run his 'Dream D&D Campaign". I've seen his notes, some of them are over 30 years old. This will end badly, but it is sure to be a wild ride. His main rule is no magic. Sword and Sorcery, Conan style. Only humans. One guy got a special dispensation to play a halfling reskinned as a motherfucking midget. We're allowed one cleric, and she is supposed to only memorize healing supporty type stuff. His one exception is that if we can come up with a character concept that uses low-key magic stuff reskinned as mundane, he will allow it. So I am thinking beastmaster ranger.

Problem is that ranger is a mess? Apparently the one in the PHB sucks, and has been rewritten a few times or something. It confuses me. Can someone give me a little advice on making a ranger given the guidelines above?

The best Ranger is Scout Rogue with the Outlander background feature. As a bonus, it's also non-magical.

If you want a pet then use Animal Handling expertise to befriend and train some critter(s).

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I'll check that out. thanks!

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah no DnD barring 4E does not work without magic and is very vanilla without it.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Wrestlepig posted:

I know this thread doesn't appreciate blunt dismissals, but any D&D campaign where magic isn't allowed is one you should avoid at all costs. Magic is a massive part of the system's flavor, fun, decision making and most of all the maths. Unless this guy swaps to a system where this can actually work, it's going to be a flop. That's not a judgement on D&D, it's just a system built on magic.

I know this. He's so excited, though. I am sure it will be a disaster. I feel a little bad for the guy. He actually wanted to use his homebrew ruleset he banged out in the 80's. He got real butthurt when we all refused to play it. It was basically a half-baked Rolemaster clone. So, we all decided to do this, knowing it was a bad idea, because he's just so drat earnest about it. Who knows, it may work out great.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

ChaseSP posted:

Yeah no DnD barring 4E does not work without magic and is very vanilla without it.
It may have a better shot than most with the GM allowing for cleric healing just for sanity reasons? Maybe even a straight up Paladin could even work for that by taking "Just" it's healing magic options, but still able to spend those on smites.

"Low Magic setting" tends to be code for "It's more gritty if the protagonists need to use filthy bandages!", 'non magical' enemies get a dose of steroids, and the setting is still absolutely lousy with magic aimed at you and the world at large.

It CAN be done well if you basically admit it's for this lopsided reasoning though. And Conan is often about deciding dark wizards and eldritch horrors are huge nerds that need a good stabbing.

Kind of like Battle Brothers for just one of the better examples. You still can't go five feet without running into a goblin shaman, monsters than expand in size categories when they eat corpses, and so much undead they need separate categories for "Undead" vs "Ancient undead" (Which includes teleporting skeleton wizards). Just another day on the job for team murderhobo incorporated.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Aug 8, 2018

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

The Dregs posted:

I know this. He's so excited, though. I am sure it will be a disaster. I feel a little bad for the guy. He actually wanted to use his homebrew ruleset he banged out in the 80's. He got real butthurt when we all refused to play it. It was basically a half-baked Rolemaster clone. So, we all decided to do this, knowing it was a bad idea, because he's just so drat earnest about it. Who knows, it may work out great.

It’s worth a try, especially since it’s a friend and the problems won’t manifest for a while.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Conspiratiorist posted:

I'm having a hard time parsing you, but the way it works RAW is you cast Hold Person using a Bonus Action by spending 2 Sorcery Points on Quicken metamagic, and then you strike with Green-Flame Blade as your Action.

Whether the enemy failed its save is irrelevant to the order of operations.
If you could cast a non-quickened HP then only quicken a spell if the HP stuck, you don’t risk the sorcery points being wasted if they make their save. It just has the issue of not being legal RAW.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Arivia posted:

Other things in 5e's bucket of "good ideas" that didn't pan out: the entire game. it's trash. trash the entire game.

Better then pathfinder in my opinion. And were you not the one in the Pathfinder thread who posted this

Arivia posted:

You do realize this is the Pathfinder thread for people who actually play the game right? Like all of that is pretty reasonable as someone who actually plays the game.

If you just want to clown around and look down your nose because ew Pathfinder I suggest you go somewhere else dude.

Cause it's kind of hypocritical for you to come in here and constantly complain about the game and nothing else.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I like talking about D&D dude. I like D&D. I play D&D with the name filed off twice, three times a week. The current D&D is just really bad.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKdJ6DnPhzk

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Arivia posted:

I like talking about D&D dude. I like D&D. I play D&D with the name filed off twice, three times a week. The current D&D is just really bad.

Not any worse then most of it's editions.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

It's all D&D my dudes.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Sorry for the derail, But I saw the gorkamorka comment 6 Pages ago and I am surprised how few homebrews seem to switch to non-DND deities. For any game Im running at least a faction of orks have gork&mork and all dwarwes are called urist, worship Armok and have obsession with Magma.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

Not any worse then most of it's editions.

No actually the other editions were a concerted effort to improve the game with a lot of effort and drive. 5e is lazy and has no goals

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
In historical context 5e is a massive disappointment if not literally an insult, but in absolute terms it’s the second best edition of D&D.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
At least in the Pathfinder thread people just talk about how bad Pathfinder is instead of constantly dissolving into EDITION WARS

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Elysiume posted:

At least in the Pathfinder thread people just talk about how bad Pathfinder is instead of constantly dissolving into EDITION WARS
Well nobody has to have an edition war if nobody is enjoying the product :v:

It's people having fun in the wrong way that causes edition wars, not if a system is bad or not after all :pseudo:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

gradenko_2000 posted:

If you have access to these books:

I would read 4e's DMG 2 to get guidance on how to pace and structure campaigns and plots
I would read 3e's DMG 2 to get guidance on how to actually run games, as a real-life, practical matter
I would read Dungeon World to get a feel for the principle of making a move, setting up the fiction and the danger, and then following through

This is excellent advice. I'd also read 13th Age's Eyes of the Stone Thief by Garth Ryder-Hanrahan to understand what an astonishingly kickass campaign looks like (plus I'd steal from it relentlessly)

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
13th age doesn’t do a lot of original setting stuff, but “Dungeons are sentient monsters that consume and incorporate the landscape” rules

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Elysiume posted:

Well PF 2e is coming out so that will all change.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Ferrinus posted:

In historical context 5e is a massive disappointment if not literally an insult, but in absolute terms it’s the second best edition of D&D.

Oh poo poo I never looked at it like this.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
5e is exactly what it needs to be. Newbies hated 4e and love 5e. Sorry grognards.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Verisimilidude posted:

What are some thrifty things you guys do for your games? I'm starting a group soon and I'm trying to come up with fun ideas for tokens. So far I have some 1" washers, bought a 1" paper punch, and I'm gonna try to print some creature tokens out and glue them to the washers.

Dollar Tree has Army Guys and zombies for a buck a bag. I let the players pick which team their minis are(literally everyone picks Zombies.)

Target also has/had these little robot toys in primary colors in the cheap aisle at the entrance. Those work pretty good because everyone can pick their own color and it's easy to track.

Around holidays like Halloween and Christmas I would use candy or cookie monsters. The player that gets the kill shot has first dibs on eating that monster(this one's only cheap if you reserve it for said holidays where candy is on hand)

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

kingcom posted:

Oh poo poo I never looked at it like this.
It's true. Whatever you want in an edition of D&D, 5e is second best. It's all it strived to be. Wizards of the Coast has this problem where they freak out if their product sells too well, so instead of listening to responses from their focus group, they find a group that likes what their selling and calls it a day.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Amethyst posted:

5e is exactly what it needs to be. Newbies hated 4e and love 5e. Sorry grognards.

yeah people hated 4e so much it landed on the ny times best sellers list multiple times

also 5e is enjoying success due to a boom in D&D interest from streaming becoming popular not because it's good.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Babylon Astronaut posted:

It's true. Whatever you want in an edition of D&D, 5e is second best. It's all it strived to be. Wizards of the Coast has this problem where they freak out if their product sells too well, so instead of listening to responses from their focus group, they find a group that likes what their selling and calls it a day.

lol it's not even 3rd best at anything

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I'm trying here.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
So I've got two characters I'm messing around with, and I wanted to dip in to see if I can't catch any advice.

The first is still Level 1 and he's a Goblin Paladin: https://ddb.ac/characters/3651974/WBZAUt My intent is to be a Dexadin, but I'm still humming and hawwing on how I want to do it exactly. One friend suggested Dual-Wielding but while being able to lay out a stupid number of smites in a single turn sounds neat, I'd need Warcaster to actually cast spells that way. My own intent was to still just do sword+board, just in this case the sword is a rapier(or whatever magical finesse weapon I get eventually. With how I have the build setup so far, I won't be able to multi-class at all, although I do have some benefits in not getting disadvantage on Stealth, having a 17 AC with studded leather+shield at Level 1, and also being able to use a shortbow effectively. The Oath I was thinking either Devotion or Ancients, but that might change depending on how I plan this out.

The second is a Bugbear Samurai that is Level 4, for now. My idea here can be summed up in "Man it's be funny to be able to do 10 attacks my first turn, have advantage on most of them and then use GWM with those attacks." A full Level 20 build has him at 16 Samurai/4 Gloomstalker, but I kind of realize my Barbarian leveling in only seven or eight months wasn't the norm. So I was trying to figure out what to just do for the first 10 levels.

If I multi-classed, it'd be something like this: https://ddb.ac/characters/4489503/qTd15p

One +2 ASI, Polearm Master for a feat. Trying to decide whether GWM or another +2 would be best, but I've a good source of Advantage although it does use my bonus action.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

The Dregs posted:

OK, so my crotchety old bastard of a friend really wants to run his 'Dream D&D Campaign". I've seen his notes, some of them are over 30 years old.

This guy wants to play his best-selling fantasy novel he's never got around to writing. This game is going to be super rail-roady, and he's going to be constantly pissed when players go off script and don't do what he expected and wanted them to do. Have fun with that.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Aug 8, 2018

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Amethyst posted:

Newbies hated 4e
This reflects neither my personal play experience playing with and GMing for newbies nor the available sales figures.

Wrestlepig posted:

It’s worth a try, especially since it’s a friend and the problems won’t manifest for a while.
Buy one of those click counter things and count the number of times per session someone says "I attack".

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Just assume I attack the closest thing every round, and I'll play my DS. Roll the damage dice, and the d20 at the same time, the game takes seconds over the span of hours to play. If you have the lucky feat, and are vaguely paying attention you can even effect the game. Just say, "no, that's not good, how many dice I got? and "Roll em" whenever you want to impact the story.

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Aug 8, 2018

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Deptfordx posted:

This guy wants to play his best-selling fantasy novel he's never got around to writing. This game is going to be super rail-roady, and he's going to be constantly pissed when players go off script and don't do what he expected and wanted them to do. Have fun with that.

Oh, I know it. It's already started. I talked to him last night and told him my character was going to be an older guy, maybe early sixties. He said that I'd have to lower his STR and DEX, but I could raise INT and WIS (we're all limited to martial classes, btw). I told him to gently caress off. He said it just wasn't realistic.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Amethyst posted:

Penny Arcade's Acquisitions Inc was the Critical Role of its day, and every version of D&D has always been the most popular its ever been relative to the previous one.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

The Dregs posted:

Oh, I know it. It's already started. I talked to him last night and told him my character was going to be an older guy, maybe early sixties. He said that I'd have to lower his STR and DEX, but I could raise INT and WIS (we're all limited to martial classes, btw). I told him to gently caress off. He said it just wasn't realistic.
Hail, friend. Care to join our table?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The Dregs posted:

It's it a 1st ed game? That's a rule in the dmg.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

sebmojo posted:

It's it a 1st ed game? That's a rule in the dmg.

His buddy is using 5th.

You need to have a sit down and explain to him that he cannot enforce that and still have you guys only playing martial characters. Plus... while he may not be in the best shape himself( you said he was an older guy ), there are plenty of people in their sixties who are in better shape than in their 20's.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

Penny Arcade's Acquisitions Inc was the Critical Role of its day, and every version of D&D has always been the most popular its ever been relative to the previous one.

It's what got me into it. When they swapped editions, it was pretty hilarious to watch Kurtz realise how one note the new cleric was in comparison.

Serf
May 5, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

it definitely got me to play D&D. i remember watching the first 5e one and they were all visibly let down and it was hilarious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Oh I've been there before. I am preparing the story now.