Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The Colonel posted:

also unironically yoko taro's pretty open that all of his big game scripts are co-written by women cause he thinks it's a good idea to actually have women write women in stories instead of having them all written by a dude, so i don't think he's going to have some big self-inflicted fall from grace as a genius auteur

Its always weird to me that the inspiration for nier was the wtc attacks. 9/11 really changed errythang

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Real hurthling! posted:

Its always weird to me that the inspiration for nier was the wtc attacks. 9/11 really changed errythang

i wanna play nier so bad

square enix please port nier so that i don't need to play a new ps3 with a working disc drive, and also drakengard 3 so i can play it with a good framerate

and maybe also drakengard 1 but only if i can cheat max weapon levels

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Real hurthling! posted:

what in tarnation

poo poo I guess I'll have to play OG nier now. also wanna say I'm still loving SMTIV:Apocalypse, it hits this sweet spot of post apocalyptic Tokyo as a battleground for heaven versus hell and the humans forced to live in the subways to try and survive. also you summon demons from your smartphone

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Taintrunner posted:

what in tarnation

poo poo I guess I'll have to play OG nier now. also wanna say I'm still loving SMTIV:Apocalypse, it hits this sweet spot of post apocalyptic Tokyo as a battleground for heaven versus hell and the humans forced to live in the subways to try and survive. also you summon demons from your smartphone

Theres a yt interview you can search for where taro explains his writing style and how 9/11 shook him

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

The Colonel posted:

also unironically yoko taro's pretty open that all of his big game scripts are co-written by women cause he thinks it's a good idea to actually have women write women in stories instead of having them all written by a dude, so i don't think he's going to have some big self-inflicted fall from grace as a genius auteur

This is true... unless the woman is Taro wearing another hat-head.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've gone back to finish AC Origins and my save file is at 60 hours. The last big plot event was the naval mission followed by fighting a couple bosses to help Caesar and then Cleo's brother died

How much more game is there?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Real hurthling! posted:

Theres a yt interview you can search for where taro explains his writing style and how 9/11 shook him
So Yoko Taro is the Anti-Frank Miller?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

journalism isn't as dead as cliffyb's company is

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Wasn't CliffyB notorious for ragequitting UT matches or something?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

I actually like doing requests (would like getting paid more but oh well) but you probably don't want me doing anything that relies solely on lineart. My lineart is uh, not great. Also inking lines is probably the most tedious part of drawing.

What do you use anyway, do you use some kind of tablet or do you just draw freehand on paper or what?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I don’t think Yokō Tarō is a genius.

My phone autocorrected what I wrote and added the accents, that’s kinda weird

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Too late. It's canon now.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Nerds are cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kV4l2yeSjDQ

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Taintrunner posted:

what in tarnation

Basically Yoko Taro's original stance was "only madmen would kill lots of people", which is apparent in Drakengard. But after 9/11 (the attacks but also the US reaction to it) it changed to "People will kill if they think it's for a just cause", thus NieR.

Chev fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Aug 8, 2018

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Perhaps the same could be said of all religions.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

precision posted:

I've gone back to finish AC Origins and my save file is at 60 hours. The last big plot event was the naval mission followed by fighting a couple bosses to help Caesar and then Cleo's brother died

How much more game is there?

You've got maybe two hours of main story left.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Aug 8, 2018

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Jay Rust posted:

I don’t think Yokō Tarō is a genius.

why would you say something so controversial yet so brave

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've been drinking for the past 8 hours but I'd like to take a step back and really give loving credit for this Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJVxPAiB7as

You think about so many other videogame trailers and so much other wannabe "games are art now" poo poo and for all the criticisms of MGSV that I would totally agree with, these last trailers were so loving goddamn absurdist that looking back really need to be applauded, especially in context of what has passed since then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9JV0EvCkMI

The guarantee that Death Stranding will be a loving masterwork is in how off the cuff and intimate the last trailers for Phantom Pain are, cinematically, contrasted with how gameplay focused MGSV was. Stefanie Joosten singing the last jam over the Greatest Hits of all the tearjerkers of the series was a final goodbye, and the final mirror conversation of Phantom Pain was a Fourth-Wall Breaking moment that was nothing more than a genuine thank you to his most dedicate fans for elevating him to the position of infamy he now enjoys.

And you look at the news today, the news the past year, the news ahead of us - this sort of doomsday economics - and really, how can you not call it a death standing? Kojima is truly ahead of us all.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

DisDisDis posted:

why would you say something so controversial yet so brave

We all know the only certifiable genius in video games is Will Wright

e: vvv I should’ve said Kojumbo :gonk:

Jay Rust fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Aug 8, 2018

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Taintrunner posted:

I've been drinking for the past 8 hours but I'd like to take a step back and really give loving credit for this Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJVxPAiB7as

You think about so many other videogame trailers and so much other wannabe "games are art now" poo poo and for all the criticisms of MGSV that I would totally agree with, these last trailers were so loving goddamn absurdist that looking back really need to be applauded, especially in context of what has passed since then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9JV0EvCkMI

The guarantee that Death Stranding will be a loving masterwork is in how off the cuff and intimate the last trailers for Phantom Pain are, cinematically, contrasted with how gameplay focused MGSV was. Stefanie Joosten singing the last jam over the Greatest Hits of all the tearjerkers of the series was a final goodbye, and the final mirror conversation of Phantom Pain was a Fourth-Wall Breaking moment that was nothing more than a genuine thank you to his most dedicate fans for elevating him to the position of infamy he now enjoys.

And you look at the news today, the news the past year, the news ahead of us - this sort of doomsday economics - and really, how can you not call it a death standing? Kojima is truly ahead of us all.

well yea but he’s no kojumbo

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
drat owned lmaoo

gently caress me nicolas winding refn has a new show and I can't see it until next year gently caress my life

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I bought Dead Cells yesterday and EXAPUNKS comes out tomorrow... this week, man

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

There's also a smash direct in 2 hours!!!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

They already spent an hour on it at E3..

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Simon Belmondo in Smash

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

bronkie the bronchiasaurus in smash

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Every year is the new best year in gaming, the old games don’t go anywhere

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Sakurazuka posted:

Simon Belmondo in Smash
I really hope this happens...

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Raxivace posted:

I hope it’s Jonathan and Charlotte (from Portrait of Ruin) as Echo fighters of the Ice Climbers.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

I said come in! posted:

Jesus you have to really gently caress up to get fired from IGN.

The position he used to be in was a good springboard to work at Nintendo at America. Several IGN Nintendo staff had gone on to be writers/video editors/hosts etc. at NoA.

Mak0rz posted:

Wasn't CliffyB notorious for ragequitting UT matches or something?

He's notorious to not listening to Tim Sweeney who told him that there wasn't much of a market for old-school arena FPS games and they would make more money with games like Fortnite.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Raxivace posted:

They accidentally mislabeled a song Bloody Tears last light, so

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Motto posted:

They accidentally mislabeled a song Bloody Tears last light, so
My hopes are now up and if Simon is not revealed I will personally hold you, Motto, responsible.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it will be simon belmont, from captain n

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Give me pink-haired Simon from Chronicles' Arrange Mode.

Also give me the entire soundtrack from Chronicles' Arrange Mode.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Simon Belmont seems like a weird pick to me but his theme is good so I'll allow it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sX3fjpkFwk

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

announcing the trophy/mii costume simon belmont

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Phantasium posted:

announcing the trophy/mii costume simon belmont

I'm glad they did that with k rool/geno

people need to let it go

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

chumbler posted:

Star Citizen is nearing release???!?????

Serious response, it's still pre-alpha after 6 years of development and counting.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Cowcaster posted:

it will be simon belmont, from captain n

This guy gets iticus :hai:

Or just loving Captain Nicus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpA8ZIJ2ynI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
It will be Negan from the Walking Dead.

Lane Pryce from Mad Men will be an assist trophy.

• Locked thread