Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who should be the Mod?
This poll is closed.
Anidav 14 0.14%
Dr Spaceman 2 0.02%
JBP 12 0.12%
bell jar 1 0.01%
GoldStandardConure 7 0.07%
Joseph Stalin 10016 99.64%
Total: 10052 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

G-Spot Run posted:

That's why I voted for VADINA
Role: ANY
Utility: NEGATIVE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Poor Birdstrike wants Mafia golden age back so bad.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

JBP for mod please.

If not him, then deffo Avshalom.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Anidav posted:

Poor Birdstrike wants Mafia golden age back so bad.

i don't blame him

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Vote 1 Anidav. He has one hundred positive policies.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Vote for Anidav!

If things were reversed, he'd misread something important and vote for you!

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Vote for Anidav!

He has a photogenic dog and a free DVD about Taiwan he'd like to show you.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Anidav if only because he's incompetent enough to accidentally get himself banned.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Anidav, because he'll be too busy posting his own half baked conspiracy theories to get into a shitfight and ban you for yours.

If not GSC because who doesn't like Birds? Eh? Eh?

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
i will literally ban everyone

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
except avshalom

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Not if I ban you first

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

GoldStandardConure posted:

i will literally ban everyone

I approve!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Give it to me and bell jar but make it like the nuclear keys where we have to agree on everything then watch this motherfucker burn.

bell jar posted:

i am definitely the best person for this job. me and jbp thread king and queen

Lol I missed this somehow

JBP fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Aug 8, 2018

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Vote 1 Anidav. He has never strangled a cat to death that I know of.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
I vote Anidav to cement QLD supremacy

If possible tho avshalom would be an excellent mod

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

JBP posted:

Give it to me and bell jar but make it like the nuclear keys where we have to agree on everything then watch this motherfucker burn.

Lol I missed this somehow

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
don't you dare loving mod me, i was an event moderator on ultima online for six months and it destroyed me. i had so much potential before that, and now look at me. look at me

anidav for king

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Birdstrike posted:

we need an idiot king not a competent queen

MMG, your time to shine

You wound me

Then again I've got two babies to manage, what's a few more?

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
shirking responsibility: an aussie tradition

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

MysticalMachineGun posted:

You wound me

Then again I've got two babies to manage, what's a few more?

heh

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Did anybody watch the Weekly last night?

Kitty Flanagan sent up noted alt-right grifter Jordan Peterson's book 12 Rules for Life (she didn't mention that he's nazi-adjacent) and called her send up version 488 Rules for Life. Interesting choice of numbers, there.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I've been getting into the weekly recently and find it... Good? It's like a cross between Media Watch and The Daily Show.

And I'm going to demonstrate why using Australian Flowers.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
tonightly is better

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Oh dear, Courier Mail seemed to have let Paul Syvret go.

RIP the only Communist who actually got things printed at News Corp.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

SOMEWHERE this week in Australia a baby was born. Or maybe a plane landed carrying someone from another part of the world ready to make a new start here.

It doesn’t really matter. For according to our statisticians, we have now welcomed the 25 millionth Australian into the fold.

In roughly half a century, or close to how long I’ve been around, we have doubled our population. In recent years, though, we have also shrunk.

Our physical numbers may not have waned, but the Australian soul has shrivelled and wizened as we increasingly exclude rather than accept, seek to blame rather than to solve, and to divide where once there was common ground.

At regular citizenship ceremonies across the land this week, our new Australians will stand for the national anthem at the end of proceedings, where in some cases they may even be treated to the second verse, part of which goes as follows:

For those who’ve come across the seas

We’ve boundless plains to share;

With courage let us all combine

To Advance Australia Fair.

We usually don’t get that far with the anthem these days, that second verse being basically obsolete.
I’m not sure what exactly the catalyst has been, but in recent years we have debased ourselves to the point where race, religion and gender – the very fibre of personal identity – has become the currency of the most partisan of politics, something to be weaponised and used regardless of the collateral damage.

We have become an Australia where inordinate, and in some cases fawning, attention is given to visiting social media wannabes whose stock in trade is the language of white supremacists and Islamophobes, narcissists whose ugly cynicism is surpassed only by their desire for attention.

We have become an Australia where not just those with somewhat extreme views, but a full-blown bloody Nazi who wants Hitler and Mein Kampf in our classrooms, is given time on national television to air his views on immigration, praising Minister Peter Dutton in the process.

This in the same short few days in which newspaper columnists have warned darkly of ethnic and religious ghettos, blamed migrants for traffic congestion, and all but called for a return of the White Australia policy.

This is the same Australia where the likes of Dutton, aided and abetted by even Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull, have sought to whip up fear, loathing and racial hatred over so-called “African gangs” in Melbourne, a city so tremulous no-one is apparently game to go out for dinner at night.

It is an Australia that then shrugs its shoulders as a Sydney bus driver is suspended after abusing Asian passengers for not speaking English and refusing to let them off the bus, or a Pakistani university student in Newcastle has his nose broken in a knuckle-duster attack and is told to “go back to your f---ing country, you don’t belong here”.

This is an Australia where our anthem welcomes those from across the seas, but if you arrive by boat, calls you an “illegal” and dooms you to indefinite detention in a tropical prison camp on Nauru or Manus.

It is an Australia where the slightest show of compassion is deemed either weak or condemned as “virtue signalling”, where belonging to a trade union makes you a militant thug, and hoping your kids have a habitable planet in years to come puts you in the ranks of the hysterical leftists, warmists and climate-change alarmists.

This is my last column for The Courier-Mail, and I would have liked to have been more upbeat. But I grew up in a world where facts were immutable and opinions relatively cheap. The old journalistic cliche – and it is a meme that still circulates today – was that if one person you interview tells you it is howling down with rain, and another tells you the sun is shining, it is not your job to quote both of them, but to look out the bloody window and learn the truth.

It was an era where if the world’s brightest scientists warned we really need to do something about the hole in the ozone layer, the ensuing debate was about how to fix the problem, not a race to find some fringe dweller who would say there was no problem.

It was an era where adjectives didn’t make it into news stories unless it was the colour of the getaway car, and “balance” certainly did not mean giving equal space to the various flat-earthers, vaccination sceptics, creationists, racists and other loons out there.

It was a less ugly Australia, and certainly a more civilised conversation.

Anidav fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Aug 9, 2018

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Anidav posted:

I've been getting into the weekly recently and find it... Good? It's like a cross between Media Watch and The Daily Show.

And I'm going to demonstrate why using Australian Flowers.

Hard Chat is the best bit which is why they put it on last

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

The catalyst was a concerted media and political campaign over a decade of invective like queue jumpers shows like border patrol and the normalization of extremists like Pauling Hanson

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Anidav posted:

SOMEWHERE this week in Australia a baby was born. Or maybe a plane landed carrying someone from another part of the world ready to make a new start here.

It doesn’t really matter. For according to our statisticians, we have now welcomed the 25 millionth Australian into the fold.

In roughly half a century, or close to how long I’ve been around, we have doubled our population. In recent years, though, we have also shrunk.

Our physical numbers may not have waned, but the Australian soul has shrivelled and wizened as we increasingly exclude rather than accept, seek to blame rather than to solve, and to divide where once there was common ground.

At regular citizenship ceremonies across the land this week, our new Australians will stand for the national anthem at the end of proceedings, where in some cases they may even be treated to the second verse, part of which goes as follows:

For those who’ve come across the seas

We’ve boundless plains to share;

With courage let us all combine

To Advance Australia Fair.

We usually don’t get that far with the anthem these days, that second verse being basically obsolete.
I’m not sure what exactly the catalyst has been, but in recent years we have debased ourselves to the point where race, religion and gender – the very fibre of personal identity – has become the currency of the most partisan of politics, something to be weaponised and used regardless of the collateral damage.

We have become an Australia where inordinate, and in some cases fawning, attention is given to visiting social media wannabes whose stock in trade is the language of white supremacists and Islamophobes, narcissists whose ugly cynicism is surpassed only by their desire for attention.

We have become an Australia where not just those with somewhat extreme views, but a full-blown bloody Nazi who wants Hitler and Mein Kampf in our classrooms, is given time on national television to air his views on immigration, praising Minister Peter Dutton in the process.

This in the same short few days in which newspaper columnists have warned darkly of ethnic and religious ghettos, blamed migrants for traffic congestion, and all but called for a return of the White Australia policy.

This is the same Australia where the likes of Dutton, aided and abetted by even Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull, have sought to whip up fear, loathing and racial hatred over so-called “African gangs” in Melbourne, a city so tremulous no-one is apparently game to go out for dinner at night.

It is an Australia that then shrugs its shoulders as a Sydney bus driver is suspended after abusing Asian passengers for not speaking English and refusing to let them off the bus, or a Pakistani university student in Newcastle has his nose broken in a knuckle-duster attack and is told to “go back to your f---ing country, you don’t belong here”.

This is an Australia where our anthem welcomes those from across the seas, but if you arrive by boat, calls you an “illegal” and dooms you to indefinite detention in a tropical prison camp on Nauru or Manus.

It is an Australia where the slightest show of compassion is deemed either weak or condemned as “virtue signalling”, where belonging to a trade union makes you a militant thug, and hoping your kids have a habitable planet in years to come puts you in the ranks of the hysterical leftists, warmists and climate-change alarmists.

This is my last column for The Courier-Mail, and I would have liked to have been more upbeat. But I grew up in a world where facts were immutable and opinions relatively cheap. The old journalistic cliche – and it is a meme that still circulates today – was that if one person you interview tells you it is howling down with rain, and another tells you the sun is shining, it is not your job to quote both of them, but to look out the bloody window and learn the truth.

It was an era where if the world’s brightest scientists warned we really need to do something about the hole in the ozone layer, the ensuing debate was about how to fix the problem, not a race to find some fringe dweller who would say there was no problem.

It was an era where adjectives didn’t make it into news stories unless it was the colour of the getaway car, and “balance” certainly did not mean giving equal space to the various flat-earthers, vaccination sceptics, creationists, racists and other loons out there.

It was a less ugly Australia, and certainly a more civilised conversation.

Quotes advance Australia fair

Complains about racism

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Anidav posted:

Fine, mod me and I will rule over this horrible place with an iron fist. I have the cleanest rap sheet out of all of you. Crazy right?

I mean I have the best rap sheet of out all of us. But I also don't t post enough.

Long live long king Anidav

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
My rapsheet is squeaky loving clean. I tried to get Derek Smart to probate me and couldn't even do that. I fail at shitposting.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
I know that you have all been overlooking the obvious choice because you know I'm too good for this place. Seriously though the lawn needs clearing.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Cartoon posted:

I know that you have all been overlooking the obvious choice because you know I'm too good for this place. Seriously though the lawn needs clearing.

the obvious choice is raptorfag

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

If you give it to me I know how to lock all threads so you guys can kick back and relax

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Birdstrike posted:

the obvious choice is raptorfag

the mod we deserve

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

norp posted:

Quotes advance Australia fair

Complains about racism

Uh

Yeah that was some real flag-saluting, single-tear-shedding quoting of the national anthem, in that article. Yeppy yep yep.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Chicken Parmigiana posted:

Uh

Yeah that was some real flag-saluting, single-tear-shedding quoting of the national anthem, in that article. Yeppy yep yep.

it’s called advance Australia fair not advance Australia all skin colours

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Cartoon posted:

Will you promise to probate JBP during his scheduled daily Right Wing Boomeresque Rant because if so then ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

iajanus posted:

I volunteer to mod since I'm now on paternity leave indefinitely and am fair and balanced and also am going insane with having nothing but domestic duties to do every day.

this seems like it would not end well!

generally an unspoken rule of "who should be mod" is to not nominate yourself, btw. that's to everyone, not just you.

• Locked thread