Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Yinlock posted:

"oh yeah the archmagus boss is really easy if you have reflect" the thread says as I try to fight it and get blown the gently caress up

(though tbf the rest of my party is only around 38 (with my main at 49) so i totally deserved it)

I got blown the gently caress up the first couple of times I fought him too. Make sure your magic defense is pretty high, so you can survive and keep your HP up while you prep to put up your Reflects and break him. Break him, put up the Reflects and he starts killing himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Yinlock posted:

"oh yeah the archmagus boss is really easy if you have reflect" the thread says as I try to fight it and get blown the gently caress up

(though tbf the rest of my party is only around 38 (with my main at 49) so i totally deserved it)

Yeah, you honestly need to be able to survive until his debuff wears off so you can get a Seduction'd max-boosted reflect on everyone. That's when it becomes easier.

The first 5 turns are the rough patch.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Pharohman777 posted:

Yeah, you honestly need to be able to survive until his debuff wears off so you can get a Seduction'd max-boosted reflect on everyone. That's when it becomes easier.

The first 5 turns are the rough patch.

hold it, Seduction counts for ally buffs too? that changes everything

why does it only say "foes" :argh:

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Yinlock posted:

(though tbf my main is at 49 and the rest of my party is 38 so i totally deserved it)

Dancer divine on your cleric let's her cast reflect on everyone. Cast reflect boosted to max will give you a bunch of reflects. You want 6 on each person.

Then maintain. I used tressa/dancer so she could donate BP to cleric and cleric count get as many reflects on everyone while the divine is active.

Other 2 party members were breaking or healing with items. (Probably ideally have alf to concoct BP to those two)

Once you survive the rounds to get your divine/reflect off it's just a matter of being very careful with your timing to redo boosts.

The whole thing is harder that the runelprd sidestep because you need a divine to start the proccess, but you should be safe once you get out of the first few rounds.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Bombadilillo posted:

Dancer divine on your cleric let's her cast reflect on everyone. Cast reflect boosted to max will give you a bunch of reflects. You want 6 on each person.

Then maintain. I used tressa/dancer so she could donate BP to cleric and cleric count get as many reflects on everyone while the divine is active.

Other 2 party members were breaking or healing with items. (Probably ideally have alf to concoct BP to those two)

Once you survive the rounds to get your divine/reflect off it's just a matter of being very careful with your timing to redo boosts.

The whole thing is harder that the runelprd sidestep because you need a divine to start the proccess, but you should be safe once you get out of the first few rounds.

I actually got past those rounds by reviving Olivia with an L Olive which jumps her HP to 9999, I just didn't know the dancer divine worked for ally skills because the text specifically says "foes"

e: though that does make way more sense, why would dancer's ultimate skill be a kinda useless buff that doesn't gel with it's moveset at all

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Yinlock posted:

I actually got past those rounds by reviving Olivia with an L Olive which jumps her HP to 9999, I just didn't know the dancer divine worked for ally skills because the text specifically says "foes"

I di that same thing. The one line description in the popup windows is worded vaguely. It works though!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Yinlock posted:

Oh yeah, that's exactly what the Reflect strategy is, casting Reflect on your whole team, so every spell he casts hits him 12 times (and often breaks him)

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Yinlock posted:

I know right? The tooltip literally lies and it's the biggest deal in the entire game. That skill changes everything.

It took me so long to get that skill because it felt pretty useless to me, and then I asked in this thread if there was anything like Bravely's "buff everyone at once" ability. :downsgun:

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
A question about the posgame.

Am I going to want a disparity in party strength between the A and B teams? Or do I want them to be similar?

Basically, do I want to switch Alfyn and Tressa on the A-team?

As vague as possible on answers would be helpful.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
So I already played through the whole game and am done with it, but I'm curious. The little status buff/debuff icons next to your characters' names during battle, is there any way to scroll over them and see what each one actually means?

During the final boss fight there were definitely turns where I just had no idea if a certain buff was still applied to a certain character or not, and was too lazy to look it up online or something.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Your Computer posted:

I know right? The tooltip literally lies and it's the biggest deal in the entire game. That skill changes everything.

It took me so long to get that skill because it felt pretty useless to me, and then I asked in this thread if there was anything like Bravely's "buff everyone at once" ability. :downsgun:

It may honestly be one of the most misleading tool tips in gaming in general.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Re: the very endgame

gently caress not being able to save at all during that tedious gauntlet. That's just lovely and pointless game design. I died on the final boss after killing all 8 shadow boss thingies and gently caress off am I doing all that again. Oh well, I got 60 hours out of it and I'll probably get back most of what I paid for it on eBay. physical 4 lyfe.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

Bombadilillo posted:

Not as weird as when your character gets put in jail and then poof you are a group of 6 people in the cell.

In Therion's chapter 3 one of the thieves tells him it was foolish of him to go there alone. I just assume he has poor eyesight and didn't see the other 5 people, the snow leopard, and the 3 giant salamanders.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Frankston posted:

Re: the very endgame

gently caress not being able to save at all during that tedious gauntlet. That's just lovely and pointless game design. I died on the final boss after killing all 8 shadow boss thingies and gently caress off am I doing all that again. Oh well, I got 60 hours out of it and I'll probably get back most of what I paid for it on eBay. physical 4 lyfe.

You really only need to read the shadow boss texts to get the most out of it anyway. You're not missing that much besides getting the opportunity to use a game-breaking team against a game-breaking boss.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Tressa's such a goof. Like since when is being a merchant an honorable thing, worthy of defending? I can't take her seriously at all, but she's a lot of fun.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
It's probably a bit different in a world where there is a god of merchants that you can call on to vanquish your enemies with a concentrated beam of money.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Licarn posted:

It's probably a bit different in a world where there is a god of merchants that you can call on to vanquish your enemies with a concentrated beam of money.

Now that I think about it this is a weird world. When you decide what you wanna do with your life do you go to the job god and get your job? What about all these people out there who have abilities from the advanced jobs?

Pyramid schema
Aug 14, 2017

Natural 20 posted:

A question about the posgame.

Am I going to want a disparity in party strength between the A and B teams? Or do I want them to be similar?

Basically, do I want to switch Alfyn and Tressa on the A-team?

As vague as possible on answers would be helpful.

Trying to keep things as vague as possible: you will likely want Alfyn on team 2 along with whoever you've setup as a heavy hitter. Phase 1 of the postgame boss felt like a huge endurance test while phase 2 was faster paced with a lot more damage going out right from the start. You should aim to keep both teams relatively the same in terms of healing and support but my team 1 was a bit weaker than my team 2.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

beat the archmagus on my 2nd try after learning how that skill worked :toot: 1st try he kept spamming that no-buff move the second he got out of break, the 2nd he spent most of the fight screwing around or breaking himself and olberic ended up finishing him off because he was taking his sweet time killing himself

I didn't realize advance skills were so expensive, now I feel kinda bad for spending all of Cyrus' extra JP on getting him SP Saver though that'll probably pay for itself eventually

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Yinlock posted:

I didn't realize advance skills were so expensive, now I feel kinda bad for spending all of Cyrus' extra JP on getting him SP Saver though that'll probably pay for itself eventually

They are, but on the plus side, there's no JP escalation, it's 2K each.

Also, the advanced jobs have some incredible passives.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
What are some of the good character and subjob combo's? I've unlocked all the subjobs except dancer, and I'm about to start everyone's chapter 2. So far I've got Tressa as a thief, Primrose as a Scholar and Cyrus as a cleric.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

TheHeadSage posted:

What are some of the good character and subjob combo's? I've unlocked all the subjobs except dancer, and I'm about to start everyone's chapter 2. So far I've got Tressa as a thief, Primrose as a Scholar and Cyrus as a cleric.

the ones I generally went with were

Olberic - Apothecary(warrior more or less does everything olberic wants to, this just gives him some axe moves and a heal for duels)
Primrose - Cleric(moveset meshes well with Dancer)
Ophelia - Dancer(see above, also Soul Knives are super good during chapter 2 spellcasting-wise)
Tressa - Scholar(SP Saver rules)
Cyrus - Merchant(SP Saver rules, also wind access helps him a surprising amount)
Therion - Hunter(weapon access and leghold trap)
H'aanit - Thief(see above, debuffing in this game is as powerful as it is limited)
Alfyn - Warrior(makes a decent backup fighter, but he'll be concocting 90% of the time in boss fights anyway)

it really depends on your protagonist though, if you're not using Olberic for example then the Warrior subjob becomes way more important instead of just filler like it was for me

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

A questions on things I'm not clear on. Nuts that increase whatever stat, are those in-battle only or are those permanent stat increases? Items like the old coin that "fetch x price", are those only good to sell? Because I'm doing my typical RPG hoarding thing and I imagine it's not necessary with items like that.

Lastly, can the characters be "any" build? Like can Cyrus became a strong warrior dude, or are his stats always going to be geared towards magic? Do stat gains come from the job you have or are they innate? And if the latter, which are the primary stats per character? I ask because I got a good spear and I'm unsure if I want to get it to H'aanit, who is strong enough to really make some damage, or to Tressa, who would barely come up to scratch were she to use it (though it's true she's about 5 levels lower than H'aanit at the moment).

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Olberic, H'aanit, Ophelia and Cyrus are generally pretty skewed towards physical/magical attacking. You can make them work with the opposing end of the spectrum, since gear makes up a lot of the difference, but they'll never be as good as the opposite end. The other four are a bit more balanced, but Tressa is probably the only true happy medium; Primrose leans towards magic, Therion and Alfyn lean towards physical.

Still, do what you like. If a Scholar Olberic is your jam, you can make it work.

Every characters has their base stats, and jobs add a certain percentage bonus on top. For example, Hunter adds +10% Physical Attack.

That said, the primary stats each character favour:

Ophelia: Elemental Attack, Physical Defense and Elemental Defense. Ophelia is a great mage and healer, but she's also surprisingly sturdy on the physical front, so she opt to take a job like Warrior for more defensive raw stats at the expense of never really making use of that subjob's skills.

Cyrus: Elemental Attack, Elemental Defense. Cyrus is the most glass cannon of all the characters, having excellent magical prowess but little else. He favours a subjob that can make him better at his job, whether it be enhancing his raw stats or giving him SP-saving passives. He can dip into healing decently, but you might find him better suited to just blasting.

Tressa: HP, Physical Attack, Elemental Attack. Tressa can do just about anything well, as she's not really lopsided in her growth and mostly handicapped as an attacker by her main job's lack of options. Do whatever you want with her.

Olberic: HP, Physical Attack, Physical Defense. As you might expect, Olberic is the physical dude. He doesn't do so well with anything remotely magical, but that's not really his concern. He can make for a very bulky support if you care though.

Primrose: Elemental Attack, Speed, Evasion. Primrose is very fragile (only just above Cyrus), mostly relying on her Speed and Evasion to avoid getting hit. She does better slinging magic than daggers, but she can still make a physical build work if you really want to. She's the worst at raw healing, though.

Alfyn: HP, Physical Attack, Elemental Defense. Alfyn is extremely bulky thanks to his high HP and having good Elemental Defense to heal, and can make a physical job work thanks to his raw stats. Either enhance his support options or just go full bruiser.

Therion: Speed, Physical Attack, Evasion. The physical counterpart to Primrose. Therion appreciates going physical more because of his comparitively lower SP, but innate access to Steal SP alleviates a lot of those concerns.

H'aanit: Physical Attack, Accuracy, Crit. Compared to Olberic, H'aanit can't take nearly as much punishment, but she crits more and is more accurate (they have the same Speed, actually). You generally either want to make her full physical or just make her a support due to Hunter's access to Leghold Trap.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

100YrsofAttitude posted:

A questions on things I'm not clear on. Nuts that increase whatever stat, are those in-battle only or are those permanent stat increases? Items like the old coin that "fetch x price", are those only good to sell? Because I'm doing my typical RPG hoarding thing and I imagine it's not necessary with items like that.

Permanent stat increase. And yeah stuff that says "fetches an X amount/price" are purely for selling.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Thanks both of you. I really miss instruction booklets, they were really thorough about this sort of little advice stuff, it's a pity that even with the physical releases there's nothing printed up inside there anymore.

I'm close to getting my full roster. I just need Olberic and Primrose. The gameplay loop is really good in this game and it's fun getting into battles and figuring out how to best kill the enemies, and given the chance boosting random skills to see what happens. I really like Alfyn's concoct, it's not strong with the weakest item but it's great for Breaking monsters, and I use H'aanit's capture more often than not to just OHKO monsters.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Don't fret too much about jobs. Since it is not tied to exp, you swap in jobs to get the passives you want then switch back. JP costs also are cheap early on so you generally get the skills you want. This allows you to quickly adjust to areas. Seeing a lot of enemies weak to wind? Switch Cyrus to Merchant, spend the paltry amount of JP for the aoe wind skill if you dont have it already, and you now made the area easier.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

TheHeadSage posted:

Tressa is the highest damaging magic character in the game, so I would suggest scholar on her knowing what I do now so that you save time grinding later.

You won't see it til lategame, but when you do. Hoo boy.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Natural 20 posted:

Tressa is the highest damaging magic character in the game, so I would suggest scholar on her knowing what I do now so that you save time grinding later.

You won't see it til lategame, but when you do. Hoo boy.

If she does a lot of ele damage the better choice is to give her runelord

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

What level is advisable for the final dungeon? I'm just starting everyone's Chapter 4 now and my levels range from 62-45. Although running out of good areas to grind unless some of these Chapter 4 dungeons are good.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Kashuno posted:

Also no reason to use her as the magic damager until she is actually the best at it in the late game.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Kashuno posted:

Nah.

Tressa can achieve ele magic cap of 999 with nuts and the correct equipment (Battle-tested staff/Elemental Augmentors in both slots). She then gets Tradewinds Spear and the Wind Upgrade Bow for a 69% wind damage increase.

So yeah, Sorceress Tressa will blow everyone else out the water in terms of damage.

I *think* Therion might be able to do the same with fire damage, but don't quote me on that.

Hand Row posted:

Also no reason to use her as the magic damager until she is actually the best at it in the late game.

More about convenience and minimising grind time in the endgame really.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
If anything it is less convenient because you should have saved your JP for Runelord or Sorceror. You would be using a weaker Scholar for the majority of the game.

How did you build your group around her as Sorcerer?

Hand Row fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Aug 8, 2018

XainZero
Feb 16, 2011

Harlock posted:

What level is advisable for the final dungeon? I'm just starting everyone's Chapter 4 now and my levels range from 62-45. Although running out of good areas to grind unless some of these Chapter 4 dungeons are good.

At least 60. The real trick is getting all the really excellent equipment that starts appearing after you clear the different Chapter 4s.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

XainZero posted:

At least 60. The real trick is getting all the really excellent equipment that starts appearing after you clear the different Chapter 4s.

This spreadsheet is invaluable for finding/doing all those post-C4 side quests and getting all the Battle-Tested gear. I wouldn't worry about grinding for extras, just buy/steal one of each.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

Natural 20 posted:

Nah.

Tressa can achieve ele magic cap of 999 with nuts and the correct equipment (Battle-tested staff/Elemental Augmentors in both slots). She then gets Tradewinds Spear and the Wind Upgrade Bow for a 69% wind damage increase.

So yeah, Sorceress Tressa will blow everyone else out the water in terms of damage.

This same stat/gear setup but Runelord attacking with Balogar's Blade.

Sorcerer Primrose is faster and she gets a +fire weapon which most things in the best late-game grinding spot are weak to.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Hand Row posted:

Having two Scholars in the mid-game is still extremely powerful in my experience, having run a Tressa/Cyrus party for most Chapter 2s and 3s.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Licarn posted:

This same stat/gear setup but Runelord attacking with Balogar's Blade.

Sorcerer Primrose is faster and she gets a +fire weapon which most things in the best late-game grinding spot are weak to.

Yeah I switched Primose to Sorcerer after reading some stuff here and have liked it. Primose/Sorc, Tressa/Runelord, Alfyn/Cleric(BP battery and Aelfrics on Prim) and Olbrecht/Warmaster is my current poo poo out DPS group I am experimenting with. Might be better to get Alephans from a scholar on Prim, not sure.

Swap in Therion/Hunter for Olbrecht if doing toughest fights.

Hand Row fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Aug 8, 2018

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Where do you guys go for your endgame level grinding? I've just been surfing the Ruins of Eld while I gently caress around with things like Therion Dodge Tanking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Best grind strat is properly-loaded Sorcerer built to max elemental attack and speed with one or two element-boosting items and damage-boosting passives in the Forest of Purgatorum. Don’t forget to use both the passives and accessories that boost EXP/JP.