Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Fan translators are spergy weebs, film at eleven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

enhydra lutris ruled. does anyone have a compilation of his greatest hits?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

ToxicFrog posted:

I've seen this frame posted a few times before and every time I wonder, how did this happen? What kind of total brain malfunction resulted in this subtitling? I've read a few books where a word with no straightforward equivalence is left untranslated and footnotes attempt to explain its meaning, and a few more where they translate it as best they can and add footnotes explaining why that's the best they could do, but you can't get away with either in film and that's not an ambiguous translation in any case!

Maybe this is better asked in the SA Sagas thread because I've only ever seen it posted here, but still, what the gently caress.

It's fake.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Yeah. It's a parody of a slippery-slope type situation. Sometimes, when fan-translating from Japanese, you run into weird road blocks that can't simply be translated into english. For example, Japan has an unusual cultural hierarchy that demonstrates itself in weird ways. For example, in high school there's the cultural idea of 'Senpai', a kid from a grade higher than you. For some weird reason, you're considered more valid as a person if these 'Senpai' folk acknowledge your existence. Normal people would either be unaware of the trope, or if they were, consider it dumb. But nerdlingers are not normal people. They absorb this knowledge, and to validate their existence needs the world to acknowledge it. Some of these people end up learning Japanese, and use this knowledge to translate their favorite anime. And the Senpai is such an all important concept, one that Japanese high schools practically rotate around. How could you not inform these baka gaijin of this cultural institution, one that the modern nation of Nippon is built around. So in your subtitles, you leave the title unchanged, and add a note explaining the concept.

... Instead of just altering the dialogue to state that the protagonist wants to impress the older kids.

Point being, these dorks will put a note to explain any concept that can't be easily translatable. Sometimes it's food, or locations, or deities, or cultural institutions or trends unfamiliar to the western world. Sometimes it's words like senpai, which could be translated with a bit of exposition, but that requires creativity and understanding intention (rather than marveling at surface level style). This can be taken to extremes, where a fan-translator will refuse to translate a pet word because it holds "so much meaning" that the english language couldn't possibly convey in as few words. The image is imagining that scenario taken to literal extremes, where translators put so much importance on the fan-translation aesthetic that they make unnecessary work for both themselves and the viewer.

If you would like to know more about Senpai's, consult the literature in your local libraries.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Yeah. It's a parody of a slippery-slope type situation. Sometimes, when fan-translating from Japanese, you run into weird road blocks that can't simply be translated into english. For example, Japan has an unusual cultural hierarchy that demonstrates itself in weird ways. For example, in high school there's the cultural idea of 'Senpai', a kid from a grade higher than you. For some weird reason, you're considered more valid as a person if these 'Senpai' folk acknowledge your existence. Normal people would either be unaware of the trope, or if they were, consider it dumb. But nerdlingers are not normal people. They absorb this knowledge, and to validate their existence needs the world to acknowledge it. Some of these people end up learning Japanese, and use this knowledge to translate their favorite anime. And the Senpai is such an all important concept, one that Japanese high schools practically rotate around. How could you not inform these baka gaijin of this cultural institution, one that the modern nation of Nippon is built around. So in your subtitles, you leave the title unchanged, and add a note explaining the concept.

... Instead of just altering the dialogue to state that the protagonist wants to impress the older kids.

Point being, these dorks will put a note to explain any concept that can't be easily translatable. Sometimes it's food, or locations, or deities, or cultural institutions or trends unfamiliar to the western world. Sometimes it's words like senpai, which could be translated with a bit of exposition, but that requires creativity and understanding intention (rather than marveling at surface level style). This can be taken to extremes, where a fan-translator will refuse to translate a pet word because it holds "so much meaning" that the english language couldn't possibly convey in as few words. The image is imagining that scenario taken to literal extremes, where translators put so much importance on the fan-translation aesthetic that they make unnecessary work for both themselves and the viewer.

If you would like to know more about Senpai's, consult the literature in your local libraries.

The only acceptable usage.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Oh it's not just fan-translations. I've seen one or two shows where the professional translators have done it too.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

As a professional translator, chiefly of anime (:ohdear:), I really dislike seeing even titles like "senpai," "-san," "-chan" and the like untranslated in my colleagues' work. I try to communicate any relevant nuance in such terms in a way that makes sense on its face and in context. We're not all bad!

fake edit: I only watch anime when I'm being paid to do so.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Hirayuki posted:

As a professional translator, chiefly of anime (:ohdear:), I really dislike seeing even titles like "senpai," "-san," "-chan" and the like untranslated in my colleagues' work. I try to communicate any relevant nuance in such terms in a way that makes sense on its face and in context. We're not all bad!

fake edit: I only watch anime when I'm being paid to do so.

Ah, the "I only look at this because I work for the FBI" defence.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh it's not just fan-translations. I've seen one or two shows where the professional translators have done it too.

Oh god.

Well, goes to show that I stopped watching anime in High School, when (aside from the big cartoon network series) most people got anime through torrented fansubs.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Doesn't help that nowadays most Western anime fans are extremely leery of any dub that tries to take liberties in the English translation given that well has been thoroughly poisoned. (and anime companies as well, considering how badly the 4kids dub of One Piece crashed and burned what could have been the next DBZ)

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

anime can gently caress off, thats what i always say

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Anime is here to stay, senpai.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
And then the anime fans write english original works not even set in japan where they include senpai and all the other titles. How kawaii!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Anime is bad.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Anime is a dumb word. I prefer Japanimation.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Doesn't help that nowadays most Western anime fans are extremely leery of any dub that tries to take liberties in the English translation given that well has been thoroughly poisoned. (and anime companies as well, considering how badly the 4kids dub of One Piece crashed and burned what could have been the next DBZ)
Counterpoint:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=H1QKyB_0P0E

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

more like old animeless, i guess

i don't know, i'm not sure how this thing is supposed to work. it doesn't seem all that consistent and never seems to make sense

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i don't know, i'm not sure how this thing is supposed to work. it doesn't seem all that consistent and never seems to make sense

If oldpainless were a tabloid headline they’d be MORE LIKE OLD HEADLESS BODY IN OLD TOPLESS BAR

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

Would you say it's more like oldsenseless in a way?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
In manga I'm alright with those kinds of translator notes, but it feels so absurd in anime. What's worse is when a fan translator just decides "screw it" and doesn't translate a noun or something and also makes no notes, feeling like they think you should gave the same intimate knowledge of glorious nippon they do already.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

old oldless less

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Bogus Adventure posted:

The spoon is like a penis. A penis that ejaculates beans instead of semen. Beamen for Beanfeast.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
From my limited anime-watching experience, you have to either be writing for complete weebs or take a lot of liberties in translation, because the middle road of translating the spoken words into equivalent English is just awkward.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

Slack3r posted:

POP goes the Diesel!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Someone post that image from some anime where the subtitles say “All according to keikaku” with a note “(keikaku means plan)”

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Someone post that image from some anime where the subtitles say “All according to keikaku” with a note “(keikaku means plan)”

That sounds really funny, but why would someone translate the subtitles like that?

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Someone read the last page of this thread that started all this crappy anime discussion

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

shut up blegum posted:

Someone read the last page of this thread that started all this crappy anime discussion

That's all we are going to do from now on, the time loop is sealed

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Paladinus posted:

Would you say it's more like oldsenseless in a way?

Oldmoreorless.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

It makes a certain amount of sense, I guess, to have honorifics in stuff literally set in Japan. It gets weird when they're used by characters who are supposed to be Americans in America speaking English.

The manga Delicious in Dungeon has transliterated onomatopoeia with Western equivalents in parentheses.

DOSHA
(WHUMP)

It's so incredibly stupid. loving why??

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
because anime is dumb

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

sebmojo posted:

That's all we are going to do from now on, the time loop is sealed

All according to keikaku*

*keikaku means plan

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Choco1980 posted:

In manga I'm alright with those kinds of translator notes, but it feels so absurd in anime.

They recently did a Thai version of RuPaul's Drag Race and for a while the only way to get translated episodes were via fansubs, and because the Thai drag queens were always making puns based on local culture the fan translator quite often had to post a paragraph of text explaining the jokes.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It's just the anime-specific version of when someone goes on vacation and then won't shut up about "the way they do things over there".

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Choco1980 posted:

In manga I'm alright with those kinds of translator notes, but it feels so absurd in anime. What's worse is when a fan translator just decides "screw it" and doesn't translate a noun or something and also makes no notes, feeling like they think you should gave the same intimate knowledge of glorious nippon they do already.

There's an old meme comic about comparing different styles of translations, including various hilariously terrible fan dubbers that are probably already long forgotten.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

From my limited anime-watching experience, you have to either be writing for complete weebs or take a lot of liberties in translation, because the middle road of translating the spoken words into equivalent English is just awkward.

Kind of, but if you're going to take liberties you'd better be good at it. Most of the well has been poisoned by either trying to turn it into a cartoon for a target audience 5-10 years younger than the original one and adding random bad accents, or replacing legitimate characterisation with bad jokes and reddit memes.

And of course, what happens when you make major changes to characters and settings which turn out later on to be completely jarring with how those things develop in the original. Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Dameius posted:

All according to keikaku*

*keikaku means plan

Would you like to know that keikaku means dick in Norwegian?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
My favorite honorific is in Spanish and italian where you can respectfully refer to a man as Don <First name>.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Spanish Manlove posted:

My favorite honorific is in Spanish and italian where you can respectfully refer to a man as Don <First name>.

While true, it's extremely rare in Spanish that someone will refer to a person as Don.

This whole anime dub discussion is English native privilege. Those of us that grew up in another language are used to nonsensical translations of English, ask any Latino about Spain's infamously bad ones and they will start ranting for hours.

Die hard is called "the crystal jungle". What the gently caress.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Kind of, but if you're going to take liberties you'd better be good at it. Most of the well has been poisoned by either trying to turn it into a cartoon for a target audience 5-10 years younger than the original one and adding random bad accents, or replacing legitimate characterisation with bad jokes and reddit memes.

And of course, what happens when you make major changes to characters and settings which turn out later on to be completely jarring with how those things develop in the original. Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.

Phoenix Wright localizers having to come up with increasingly convoluted explanations for keeping the setting is part of the series charm, though. If you didn't love Blackquill being a massive weeb who had to explain the delicate intricacies of Californian Rakugo theatre to a baffled audience, I don't know what to tell you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Spanish Manlove posted:

I like the French/Spanish patron/patrón because when I was a child I thought it was the Danish word "bullet"