Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I dropped by the office to turn in my equipment today. Nearly everyone was out of town for the event we were preparing for, but there was 1 dude in the office. I wasn't worried about going there because all my coworkers were very chill (one of the reasons I felt bad quitting). However when I dropped everything off he said that they had told him to "text them immediately when I dropped off my things". It didn't really register at the time but now I have a nagging sense of dread that they were just waiting till I had nothing to hold against them to punish me somehow. I'm probably being paranoid but I can't help it. :ohdear:

Coincidentally, the one person in the office was the other guy who was pressured by the boss to deliver on something that he had explicitly said couldn't be done in time. Surprise surprise, it wasn't, just like predicted. I wonder how many other people were in that same position that I didn't know about. He didn't seem surprised by my quitting abruptly though, and though he didn't go through as much as me he definitely seemed very displeased about the position he was put in. Who knows, maybe me leaving can actually cause some change there. One can hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
You did the right thing. Life's too short to work for complete assholes like that. Now you can find something better to do, at a place which respects you.

Maybe take a little sanity break first, though. Read some books. Get an ice cream cone. You've earned it.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

gently caress those guys.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Pollyanna posted:

gently caress those guys.

Also, you're doing what they secretly wish they could, I guarantee it.

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

Taffer posted:

However when I dropped everything off he said that they had told him to "text them immediately when I dropped off my things". It didn't really register at the time but now I have a nagging sense of dread that they were just waiting till I had nothing to hold against them to punish me somehow. I'm probably being paranoid but I can't help it. :ohdear:

It's because they think you're a flake due to quitting without notice (gently caress them), they're pissed (gently caress them), and they didn't trust you to bring in your stuff. Truly don't worry about it.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Apparently we're switching from a developers pull from priority queue system to a work is assigned with a priority system.

Oh and they just shoveled all the pieces of a story I scored at a 40+ in our last estimation meeting on to me, but they're broken up so hey two iterations NBD, right? :sigh:

e: on a related note, I don't suppose anyone knows of a pre-built React component/suite that works just like a spreadsheet?

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Aug 7, 2018

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Munkeymon posted:

e: on a related note, I don't suppose anyone knows of a pre-built React component/suite that works just like a spreadsheet?

If you're willing to pay, Kendo UI is apparently the best-in-class. https://www.telerik.com/kendo-react-ui/wrappers/spreadsheet/

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Is there some kind of offline code review tool for stuff that isn't in a repository? I have a sister team that's starting to try to do the right thing but they're all scattered. So they want to start doing code reviews since they have some additional constraints than simple experience keeping them from setting up something like gerrit.

I kind of wondered if there was a tool that could do code review feedback and embed the comments in some external file. I don't want to just go in and insert things with magic comment characters.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

vonnegutt posted:

If you're willing to pay, Kendo UI is apparently the best-in-class. https://www.telerik.com/kendo-react-ui/wrappers/spreadsheet/

IIRC, there was a goon in one of these threads mentioning bad things about Kendo UI a few months ago, so caveat emptor.

Fake Edit: This might have been it: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3571035&userid=28072&perpage=40&pagenumber=7

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

The Dark Wind posted:

IIRC, there was a goon in one of these threads mentioning bad things about Kendo UI a few months ago, so caveat emptor.

Fake Edit: This might have been it: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3571035&userid=28072&perpage=40&pagenumber=7

Yeah, I thought I remembered someone hating on it. I really just need a grid that can highlight and collapse rows and columns (but with a bunch of arbitrary rules of course!). No cell editing or anything like that.

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.
So ughhhh a couple of weeks ago I posted that Corporate had basically told us we were all being outsourced to India in the new year and I said gently caress this and bolted for the door. Today I accepted a new 'Lead Front End Developer' role that's 7k more in a company that's got an absolutely baller corporate culture. I walked into the interview and spent 60 minutes basically IRL shitposting and screaming at the project manager, other lead front end dev, and hiring manager, and having them scream back at me. We didn't even do a tech test they just looked at my Github and said, literally 'Yeah you don't seem retarded, we'll fly one of our guys in from London to teach you React(I'm an Angular 2 developer and don't really know a lot of React at all, and at this point am better with TypeScript than vanilla JS.).', 2 hours later I got the call with the offer. Accepted it immediately. Bye bitches.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Ape Fist posted:

I walked into the interview and spent 60 minutes basically IRL shitposting and screaming at the project manager, other lead front end dev, and hiring manager, and having them scream back at me.

I have no idea what you mean by this.

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.
We were very loud, there was a lot of banter, we made a lot of inappropriate jokes, and it was immediately apparent that I was going to fit in with the culture of the office space.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Awesome, but also I foresee you working on an engineering team with precisely zero women

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Ape Fist posted:

We didn't even do a tech test they just looked at my Github and said, literally 'Yeah you don't seem retarded, we'll fly one of our guys in from London to teach you React(I'm an Angular 2 developer and don't really know a lot of React at all, and at this point am better with TypeScript than vanilla JS.).'

Cool that you're going to work at a place that uses "retarded" like this.......

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ape Fist posted:

We were very loud, there was a lot of banter, we made a lot of inappropriate jokes, and it was immediately apparent that I was going to fit in with the culture of the office space.

Username/post combo, but that's awesome. No one right company for everybody.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

ChickenWing posted:

Awesome, but also I foresee you working on an engineering team with precisely zero women

Not much of premonition.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Boiled Water posted:

Not much of premonition.

Keeping the bar low is a skill of mine

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
That's kind of sexist, thinking no women want to banter and make inappropriate jokes.

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Actually 2 of the 3 were women. There were pride flags all over the office because it was pride this week in Belfast. So v0v sometimes people say rude things off the cuff.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

baquerd posted:

That's kind of sexist, thinking no women want to banter and make inappropriate jokes.

baquerd posted:

I've increased my prioritization of a lower-stress work life in recent years. Race and gender don't really factor into that personally, but I find it frequently frustrating working with people who have language barriers or who come from very different cultures. Going from an environment that was highly diverse in that sense to a place that was mostly Americans greatly increased my personal happiness.

:thunk:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Is there some kind of offline code review tool for stuff that isn't in a repository? I have a sister team that's starting to try to do the right thing but they're all scattered. So they want to start doing code reviews since they have some additional constraints than simple experience keeping them from setting up something like gerrit.

I kind of wondered if there was a tool that could do code review feedback and embed the comments in some external file. I don't want to just go in and insert things with magic comment characters.

If you're using Git or another similar distributed source control, how about this: Developer A mails developer B a patch, P1. Developer B sends a patch, P2 to developer A. P2 has P1 as a parent, and contains their review comments and proposed changes to P1. Developer A can view P2 and make changes as necessary then send a new, amended patch, P1' to B, B can rebase P2 into P1' (creating P2') or create an entirely new set of review comments (P2"). Repeat until B signs off.

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, since I'm not sure what you mean by an offline review tool.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Amazingly, people can have different preferences and abilities to deal with different types of working environments. I'm not a banter guy for example, but have worked in that type of environment. Not much fun for me so I left.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Is there some kind of offline code review tool for stuff that isn't in a repository?

A lot of existing code review software will let you just upload a random .diff, annotate it and talk about it -- I know Code Collaborator does since we used that in the dark days of P4, and it sounds like most the other VCS-neutral ones like Review Board, Crucible and so on allow it -- but they all require setting up some sort of server. They're also primarily intended to be integrated with your version control.

If you literally want something offline and file-based then emailing .diffs around an talking about them in confusing email threads like a true traditionalist is always an option, I guess? I can't think of any "real" code review tool that is 100% built on manual file exchange though, that's usually one of the first steps those tools try to eliminate. I wouldn't be surprised if one exists somewhere, though.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Munkeymon posted:

Yeah, I thought I remembered someone hating on it. I really just need a grid that can highlight and collapse rows and columns (but with a bunch of arbitrary rules of course!). No cell editing or anything like that.

one of the worst software projects i was involved in was someone trying to use kendo ui to put a list of studies on a web page. the project went so poorly that our division was banned from using javascript ui frameworks for years afterwards (this was luckily in 2012 so not much harm was done) because the new architect got sick of people blaming kendo ui for not being able to do stuff. i somehow suspect that it was our fault rather than the kendo's fault, given that we had a critical mass of the stupidest developers i have ever personally known or worked with when they were trying to get that poo poo to work, but i was working on a completely different insane utterly doomed component at that time and couldn't attest personally to it sucking.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

that link in baquerds bio posted:

No one's saying slaveowners were better than that, just that slaveowners that didn't take care of their slaves got sub-par returns over the long run. If you look at the most successful slave-owners, you would expect to see a general pattern of excellent treatment of well-behaved slaves.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I think it's fairly well established that he's kinda a douche and he's taking a job with a bunch of other douches.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
I offered to start the groundwork on a more official end-user/end-to-end QA process for releases that my team does and I've never done this before and I am such a loving idiot for doing this but I want to get a raise within 6 months of starting this job so other than ramping up really quickly I'm trying to think of ways to contribute to the team beyond the requirements of my job. We have some good written tests for our code, but end-user testing is basically getting our customer service people to click around and see if anything breaks right now.

Anyway, I'm a loving idiot and don't know what I'm doing :downs:

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Aug 8, 2018

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

I offered to start the groundwork on a more official end-user/end-to-end QA process for releases that my team does and I've never done this before and I am such a loving idiot for doing this but I want to get a raise within 6 months of starting this job so other than ramping up really quickly I'm trying to think of ways to contribute to the team beyond the requirements of my job. We have some good written tests for our code, but end-user testing is basically getting our customer service people to click around and see if anything breaks right now.

Sounds like you volunteered to do automated testing for your software.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Xerophyte posted:

A lot of existing code review software will let you just upload a random .diff, annotate it and talk about it -- I know Code Collaborator does since we used that in the dark days of P4, and it sounds like most the other VCS-neutral ones like Review Board, Crucible and so on allow it -- but they all require setting up some sort of server. They're also primarily intended to be integrated with your version control.

If you literally want something offline and file-based then emailing .diffs around an talking about them in confusing email threads like a true traditionalist is always an option, I guess? I can't think of any "real" code review tool that is 100% built on manual file exchange though, that's usually one of the first steps those tools try to eliminate. I wouldn't be surprised if one exists somewhere, though.

I don't think these guys have that kung fu to do either. I think I was just looking to be able to annotate in Beyond Compare or something.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

Boiled Water posted:

Sounds like you volunteered to do automated testing for your software.

yea

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Slimy Hog posted:

I think it's fairly well established that he's kinda a douche and he's taking a job with a bunch of other douches.

I'm the one taking a job, not him, don't call me a douche I'm really cool irl and online.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

You're not getting a raise unless you're blatantly under leveled and they're concerned that you're going to realize this and jump ship for a 50% pay increase. Or you have blackmail material on the owner.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Oh man I started pair programming today and I dont understand anything. Imposter syndrome ahoy (even after I explained what youd use Redis for to another coworker who had questions). I need to brush up on Ruby, and really regret having a Windows laptop at home haha

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

I'm pretty sure if I started pair programming with a senior of any kind I'd immediately choke and forget how to cast a variable type or what an array is.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Ape Fist posted:

I'm the one taking a job, not him, don't call me a douche I'm really cool irl and online.

Sorry you're right, you're the one I was talking about, but my comment about how you portrayed your new company still stands.

Slimy Hog fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Aug 8, 2018

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
Does anyone not have that weird psychological thing that makes it impossible to type well when someone else is watching you work? Any time someone sits next to me, my fingers lose all ability to press the right keys at the right time.

Shirec posted:

really regret having a Windows laptop at home haha

VirtualBox up a Linux vm!

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

redleader posted:

Does anyone not have that weird psychological thing that makes it impossible to type well when someone else is watching you work? Any time someone sits next to me, my fingers lose all ability to press the right keys at the right time.

I did when I first started but at this point I've had to type while people are watching enough that I usually don't think about it.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

redleader posted:

yes ugh

Shirec posted:

Oh man I started pair programming today and I don’t understand anything. Imposter syndrome ahoy (even after I explained what you’d use Redis for to another coworker who had questions). I need to brush up on Ruby, and really regret having a Windows laptop at home haha

driving pair programming is the single best way to forget everything you've ever known

being the passenger in pair programming makes you better at error highlighting than the IDE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Pair programming takes several weeks of basically full-time application to get used to.