Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

uvar posted:

I try to stay private on the internet so when I do have to fill out Google captchas they usually take ages. One of the steps has pictures I pick slowly fade in and out over a few seconds, with new ones often matching several times, before I can move on. Is the slowness actually useful for proving I'm human? Or is Google being an rear end in a top hat because I'm trying to stay "off the grid"?

Edit: not the length of the captcha, I get that if it's uncertain it will want to check more. Just why that section of it has the enforced delay.

Just a quick question:

Which of the following would you most prefer? A: A puppy? B: A pretty flower from your sweetie or C: A large, properly-formatted data file?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
C

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

divx posted:

I got a save the date from a former coworker and I won't be attending. Should I go ahead and tell them before I get an actual invite or is that bad etiquette? I've never turned down a wedding invite before.

The invite will have a box to say you won't be attending and will be easier for them to track.

Wait for the invite.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

spog posted:

Just a quick question:

Which of the following would you most prefer? A: A puppy? B: A pretty flower from your sweetie or C: A large, properly-formatted data file?

gently caress, data munging takes up so much of my time at the moment I'm happily going with C

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Qubee posted:

I sprayed Raid (insect killer) into my kitchen, a good 10 second burst. I'd removed all food items and covered my dishes and cutlery on the draining board by the sink with a tea towel. I stupidly forgot to cover the salt.

Is the salt safe to eat or will I die a horrible death seeing as there's probably a light film of dried insect killer on the top of it. I don't even know if this stuff becomes inert after a few hours exposed to air, or if it stays deadly.

Reminds me of a Broader question I have myself

If I you've seen cockroaches around your apartment over the course of once or twice this year (been quite lately otherwise) is this an indication of a nest hiding somewhere or do these thing just sorta happen.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Amazon question: if you want or buy a thing that qualifies for free same day prime shipping but it's only 20 buxx
While $35 is the minimum for it, can you add anything to it that's just regular prime and still qualify (and have both ship separately) or do you have to add something that is same day shipping

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
To be fair to Tiggum... someone could have just said "most likely no one here knows why the developers made that decision; maybe you should try asking them." No one should have needed to, but there you go.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Alan Smithee posted:

Amazon question: if you want or buy a thing that qualifies for free same day prime shipping but it's only 20 buxx
While $35 is the minimum for it, can you add anything to it that's just regular prime and still qualify (and have both ship separately) or do you have to add something that is same day shipping

It all has to be same day shipping.

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.

uvar posted:

I try to stay private on the internet so when I do have to fill out Google captchas they usually take ages. One of the steps has pictures I pick slowly fade in and out over a few seconds, with new ones often matching several times, before I can move on. Is the slowness actually useful for proving I'm human? Or is Google being an rear end in a top hat because I'm trying to stay "off the grid"?

Edit: not the length of the captcha, I get that if it's uncertain it will want to check more. Just why that section of it has the enforced delay.

Bots and nefarious programs that try to login to things by guessing passwords or trying to spam a bunch of fake product reviews rely on being fast. If a bot can guess at a password 3600 times a minute there's a chance it can get in, if there's a 2 second delay on each guess attempt then the bot could only guess 30 times.

I'll hazard a guess that the delays in Captcha are randomized to try and make it trickier to write scripts to defeat it.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

I'm not good at wall decorations. How do I presentably put something like this on my wall in a way that looks nice/normal? Is this a piece of paper I put in a poster frame? Can't find frames on Amazon the right size. It seems weird that most of what I find is along this line of not ready-to-go.

If anyone has recommendations for ready-to-go, medium-big wall-art with a non-tacky science (or chaos) theme, let me know. Most of what I have are smallish canvases I've painted, and plates I've bought from tourist shops. People tell me my walls look too bare.

Something like This would be cool, but is super-expensive.

Not sure why I'm struggling with this so much.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Aug 8, 2018

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Dominoes posted:

I'm not good at wall decorations. How do I presentably put something like this on my wall in a way that looks nice/normal? Is this a piece of paper I put in a poster frame? Can't find frames on Amazon the right size. It seems weird that most of what I find is along this line of not ready-to-go.

If anyone has recommendations for ready-to-go, medium-big wall-art with a non-tacky science (or chaos) theme, let me know. Most of what I have are smallish canvases I've painted, and plates I've bought from tourist shops. People tell me my walls look too bare.

It's printed on an inkjet printer - you can treat it as a poster.

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/decoration/frames-pictures/wall-frames/

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
To drive from WA to Alaska through Canada would you need a passport or just an enhanced drivers license?

Also how is Anchorage? My family is thinking about moving up that direction some time in the next few years. I looked for an alaska thread in your city sucks but I guess there aren't enough alaska goons or I just didn't see it.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Doorknob Slobber posted:

To drive from WA to Alaska through Canada would you need a passport or just an enhanced drivers license?

Also how is Anchorage? My family is thinking about moving up that direction some time in the next few years.

don't live past 54 degrees north

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Dominoes posted:

Frames for the artwork you linked seem relatively easy to find. Not sure where you are, but most any hobby/crafts store should have a frame area where you can find one in the dimensions you are looking for. Also, point of interest, these prints appear to have room for about 1/2in of matting, aka the plain white border typically inside a frame that you would buy off the shelf. You can even see it in the picture on the etsy page. You would typically buy the frame one whole number up from the displayed size - So the 8.27 x 11.67 picture would go in a 9x12 frame, and the matting would cover the difference in size.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

spog posted:

It's printed on an inkjet printer - you can treat it as a poster.

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/decoration/frames-pictures/wall-frames/
Thank you. Do I just buy a frame that's sized a few inches x a few inches bigger than the print?

CzarChasm posted:

Frames for the artwork you linked seem relatively easy to find. Not sure where you are, but most any hobby/crafts store should have a frame area where you can find one in the dimensions you are looking for. Also, point of interest, these prints appear to have room for about 1/2in of matting, aka the plain white border typically inside a frame that you would buy off the shelf. You can even see it in the picture on the etsy page. You would typically buy the frame one whole number up from the displayed size - So the 8.27 x 11.67 picture would go in a 9x12 frame, and the matting would cover the difference in size.
Thank you! So I buy the print, the frame as you described, and matting a bit bigger, than cut it down to size?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Dominoes posted:

Thank you. Do I just buy a frame that's sized a few inches x a few inches bigger than the print?

Thank you! So I buy the print, the frame as you described, and matting a bit bigger, than cut it down to size?

Take this one:

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/decoration/frames-pictures/bj%C3%B6rksta-frame-black-art-30311171/

It can take a picture of 200x140cm. Any smaller and you will see a white border caused by the blank white paper supplied with the frame that is behind your print
The hardest part is keeping the picture centred whilst putting the frame together.

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/decoration/frames-pictures/lomviken-frame-aluminium-art-20335851/
This one comes with a mount that goes in front of your picture (or you can use the frame without it)
Ideally, the hole in the mount would be a little smaller that your print so you can mount it without showing the edge of the print

You can cut the hole in the mount to your perfect size:
https://amateuratwork.wordpress.com/2014/08/18/cutting-mats-to-fit-ikeas-11-x-14-ribba-frames/

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Thanks! Ordered with the Ribba.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Methanar posted:

don't live past 54 degrees north

because?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
It's cold as balls and there's only 7 hours of sunlight in the winter.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
There's a little boy at the swimming pool who always comes with his dad. He seems to be incapable of speaking properly and just repeats the same two-three syllables over and over, at different speeds and volumes. I was thinking he might be autistic, but he doesn't behave like any other autists I've seen. He walks normally and looks otherwise healthy. What kind of disorder could he have?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

YggiDee posted:

Great, my kind of place!

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Also how is Anchorage? My family is thinking about moving up that direction some time in the next few years. I looked for an alaska thread in your city sucks but I guess there aren't enough alaska goons or I just didn't see it.
You just need an enhanced drivers license.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Spermando posted:

There's a little boy at the swimming pool who always comes with his dad. He seems to be incapable of speaking properly and just repeats the same two-three syllables over and over, at different speeds and volumes. I was thinking he might be autistic, but he doesn't behave like any other autists I've seen. He walks normally and looks otherwise healthy. What kind of disorder could he have?

Does he seem to comprehend normally, how is his affect? Autism has a wide range of symptoms and severity, so don’t discount it. He may just be a non-verbal kid with autism. I don’t have autism myself, fwiw.

revolther
May 27, 2008
He is Groot?

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
How do you find the radius of a cross-section of a sphere?

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
It's just the Pythagorean theorem

a^2 + b^2 = c^2
where:
(radius of cross-section)^2 + (distance from cross-section plane to sphere center)^2 = (diameter of the sphere)^2
rearranged:
(radius of cross-section) = sqrt( (diameter of the sphere)^2 - (distance from cross-section plane to sphere center)^2 )

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Question Friend posted:

How do you find the radius of a cross-section of a sphere?
[click for big]

R is the total sphere radius, X is distance your cross section sits from the center. Angle T = arccos (X/R). R' (the radius of your cross section) is R sin (T). Put it all together, and R'=R sin[arccos(X/R)].

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I bought a two-pack of Listerine from Costco. I don't really care for the flavor. Will any sort of place take the unopened bottle as a donation?

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009

hooah posted:

I bought a two-pack of Listerine from Costco. I don't really care for the flavor. Will any sort of place take the unopened bottle as a donation?

Costco has a crazy return policy. You can probably return them if you don’t care for them. I’ve returned food from there that I didn’t like, after a cashier said that I could when I inquired about a granola bar or chips or something.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

YggiDee posted:

The state bird of Alaska is a mosquito that's about an inch long, and a packet of corn chips costs about eleven dollars.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I washed some clothes but had to leave them in the washing machine from about 8pm to when I woke up at 2pm, as I didn't want to use my tumble dryer at night and be an inconsiderate neighbour. I've done this in the past and had no issues, but after tumble drying the clothes, they smelled pretty bad. A mix between wet dog and damp. I'm guessing it's mildew? I've since washed all the clothes again because it made me feel sick walking around with that really overpowering smell, people would think I haven't showered.

Washing the clothes the second time still hasn't removed the smell. Am I poo poo outta luck and gotta throw a bunch of my clothes out or is there a way to fix this? I've read about putting 250ml of vinegar in with the wash, but I'm not sure how well that would work.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I don't know the solution to your current problem but next time pull the clothes out of the washing machine and leave them in a washing basket or something until you can tumble dry them.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Qubee posted:

I washed some clothes but had to leave them in the washing machine from about 8pm to when I woke up at 2pm, as I didn't want to use my tumble dryer at night and be an inconsiderate neighbour. I've done this in the past and had no issues, but after tumble drying the clothes, they smelled pretty bad. A mix between wet dog and damp. I'm guessing it's mildew? I've since washed all the clothes again because it made me feel sick walking around with that really overpowering smell, people would think I haven't showered.

Washing the clothes the second time still hasn't removed the smell. Am I poo poo outta luck and gotta throw a bunch of my clothes out or is there a way to fix this? I've read about putting 250ml of vinegar in with the wash, but I'm not sure how well that would work.

250ml should be fine, you could also use color safe bleach. If they still smell bad, you can dump a small thing of essential oils into the drum during the soak cycle.

(the oils should be a smell you enjoy.)

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Is it possible to have a gastrointestinal problem that makes you poo poo out stomach acid at the end of your dairrhea

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Question Friend posted:

Is it possible to have a gastrointestinal problem that makes you poo poo out stomach acid at the end of your dairrhea

You can definitely poo poo out bile acids, they cause water to build up in your intestines as they're hypertonic compared to your bloodstream, so it severely dehydrates you.

In answer to your next question: please go to a hospital right now.

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
I don't feel dehydrated but I had terrible diarrhea and it definitely felt acidic at the end. My whole rear end in a top hat still feels like someone rubbed it raw and squeezed a lemon on it. But it coul just be because I'm taking antiobiotics for an injury, it's my understanding that those gently caress up your intestines because of the gut flora dying

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
And no I haven't eaten anything spicy today

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Lawnie posted:

Does he seem to comprehend normally, how is his affect? Autism has a wide range of symptoms and severity, so don’t discount it. He may just be a non-verbal kid with autism. I don’t have autism myself, fwiw.

No, he doesn't seem to understand what they say to him. He makes eye contact, too, which I thought autists always avoid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Spermando posted:

No, he doesn't seem to understand what they say to him. He makes eye contact, too, which I thought autists always avoid.

Autists don't necessarily avoid eye contact. Some do it way more than neurotypicals, like actors do in movies