Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

EC posted:

Not only does your ship not spawn on your landing pad when you warp to your base, other ships will land on it and prevent you from using it. WTF NMS

The ships that land on your pads usually sell really good/rare stuff though so I see it as a bonus and just build 2-3 pads on each base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I wish I could build a landing pad; my science guy only gives me nanites and the overseer gives me photography missions. I never got the landing pad blueprint. :(

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

TjyvTompa posted:

The ships that land on your pads usually sell really good/rare stuff though so I see it as a bonus and just build 2-3 pads on each base.

Good idea! I'll steal that.

I'm pretty much at the end of the base Hillsong stuff. Everyone but the farm guy is just giving v me repeating quests now, and the farm guy is taking forever because crops take real time to grow. At this point I need to farm the salvage modules for construction blueprints, even though I've already bought a hunch of them. I need all my options if I'm gonna make a super villain base.

Are there any good rewards at the end of the three main quests? I'll probably do them eventually, but if I'm gonna get some good poo poo from them I'll make them a priority.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Stare-Out posted:

I wish I could build a landing pad; my science guy only gives me nanites and the overseer gives me photography missions. I never got the landing pad blueprint. :(

The base computer blueprint quest gave it to me at...80 something percent I think?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

EC posted:

The base computer blueprint quest gave it to me at...80 something percent I think?

I did most of the base stuff a long time ago before Next and a lot of stuff got mixed up with that. I only got the blueprint analyser like two patches ago so maybe the landing pad will appear at some point too.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I can't do any more Base missions since my base computer got confused and now thinks my base is in the middle of Space.

Any way to fix this?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Broken Cog posted:

I can't do any more Base missions since my base computer got confused and now thinks my base is in the middle of Space.

Any way to fix this?

Do you have a freighter? If so there might be a work around. If you are like me and don't have one, then welcome to the wall. :smith:

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Broken Cog posted:

Any way to fix this?
Does it think the base is on your freighter? I got around that by going to my base and summoning the freighter. You might have to reload the save and try it a few times.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
What's the most effective way to grind exosuit slots? In the past they just cost units, which was no big deal. The first one I came across on this save needed me to repair the drat thing, which required chromatic metal, and I didn't have any copper, and after 20 minutes I gave up looking for it.

So, what's the best way to find them, and what common mats should I bring with me to repair them?

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

EC posted:

What's the most effective way to grind exosuit slots? In the past they just cost units, which was no big deal. The first one I came across on this save needed me to repair the drat thing, which required chromatic metal, and I didn't have any copper, and after 20 minutes I gave up looking for it.

So, what's the best way to find them, and what common mats should I bring with me to repair them?

you get a free (well it costs units, but no repair mats) exosuit slot at every new station you visit (plus from ones you've already been to if you wait a while). right behind the blueprint vendor on the far left.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

EC posted:

Space stations. If you want to cheese the game, then join random games and run to the vendor, get your upgrade, save and quit, join another, etc. Understand that this will fill your teleporter list with these stations, BUT, you can visit them again in your single player game for another suit upgrade it seems! So two per game joined basically! You just need the money, and it starts getting expensive.

Bobby Cox
Nov 3, 2006

College Slice
Got this for NEXT and I'm loving every minute of it, bugs and all. I know exosuit inventory slots can be bought in space stations and the price of them increases every time I get one, but if I find a few from Drop Pod coordinates will that increase the price too? Should I sit on these until I realistically can't buy the upgrades anymore and then use them?

And a fun heads up: don't exit the game in the anomaly. The next day I booted up to my dude free-floating and quickly dying in space. Polo done me dirty.

Bobby Cox fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Aug 8, 2018

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Broken Cog posted:

Any way to fix this?

When I got this bug I could scan any of my base computers as long as I had the quest marked as active.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

TjyvTompa posted:

When I got this bug I could scan any of my base computers as long as I had the quest marked as active.

Wait, you mean hit the area scan on my suit will ping my nearest base computer if the mission is selected?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Bobby Cox posted:

Got this for NEXT and I'm loving every minute of it, bugs and all. I know exosuit inventory slots can be bought in space station and the price of them increases every time I get one, but if I find a few from Drop Pod coordinates will that increase the price too? Should I sit on these until I realistically can't buy the upgrades anymore and then use them?

And a fun heads up: don't exit the game in the anomaly. The next day I booted up to my dude free-floating and quickly dying in space. Polo done me dirty.

The cost of buying an inventory slot is determined by how many you already have, so getting a slot from a drop pod means the next one you buy at a station will cost more.

Basically, only use drop pods for cargo slots because they're way more expensive than the others (unless you have like 40 regular slots and no cargo slots). Some people don't bother with drop pods at all but I always carry the bits to repair them anyway so it's a quick upgrade when I find one.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Seams posted:

you get a free (well it costs units, but no repair mats) exosuit slot at every new station you visit (plus from ones you've already been to if you wait a while). right behind the blueprint vendor on the far left.

WAIT WHAT

ToastyPotato posted:

Space stations. If you want to cheese the game, then join random games and run to the vendor, get your upgrade, save and quit, join another, etc. Understand that this will fill your teleporter list with these stations, BUT, you can visit them again in your single player game for another suit upgrade it seems! So two per game joined basically! You just need the money, and it starts getting expensive.

WAIT WHAT

Bobby Cox
Nov 3, 2006

College Slice

Thundarr posted:

The cost of buying an inventory slot is determined by how many you already have, so getting a slot from a drop pod means the next one you buy at a station will cost more.

Basically, only use drop pods for cargo slots because they're way more expensive than the others (unless you have like 40 regular slots and no cargo slots). Some people don't bother with drop pods at all but I always carry the bits to repair them anyway so it's a quick upgrade when I find one.

Yeah I noticed the cargo slots ramping up quick, I'll save them for that. Thanks!

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

EC posted:

WAIT WHAT

WAIT WHAT

Yeap. The suit mod vendor has it behind them. Also, if you don't see the blue hologram thing behind them, always double check by interacting with it anyway, I had one that was there but invisible. If you are a millionaire, it is probably easier/faster than drop pods.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

ToastyPotato posted:

Wait, you mean hit the area scan on my suit will ping my nearest base computer if the mission is selected?

No, what I mean is that while you have the quest selected go and interact with any other of your base computers, that worked for me.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Thundarr posted:

Fun tip for this: find a drop pod, anywhere. Drop your signal booster next to the drop pod, and don't use any nav data, just search for nearby structures. I have a 100% success rate of it picking up a second drop pod, which stretches out your actual drop pad data items nicely, or doubles the bonus of just coming across a drop pod when exploring.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Meiteron posted:

Fun tip for this: find a drop pod, anywhere. Drop your signal booster next to the drop pod, and don't use any nav data, just search for nearby structures. I have a 100% success rate of it picking up a second drop pod, which stretches out your actual drop pad data items nicely, or doubles the bonus of just coming across a drop pod when exploring.

Apparently the signal booster will always return with coords for the nearest structure of the same type if you use that option. It's handy if you are grinding drop pods or manufacturing facilities, you just have to fly somewhere else every other time because if you try it again at the second site, it gives you the coords for the closest structure of that type- the first site.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Got eight slots before I ran out of stations to warp to. Can't believe I missed this. This will make my life so much easier.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Very fun and good game but man I wish I found it about 4-6 months from now. Lots of little stuff they’ll likely fix with time but hard to look past constantly.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I could look past all the quality of life issues if they would just fix the crazy bugs. Like this base computer bug is super common it seems, as are a bunch of freighter/fleet issues. And some other quest bugs. Just fixing those would make the game unbelievably better. That is without fixing base building bugs even!

Also, did they seriously make the exocraft control like an actual RC car and not like almost every video game car in the last 20+ years? :psyduck: My left stick is throttle/reverse and right stick is turning. WTF? I swear to god this game is a prank sometimes.

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!
One thing I've noticed since I've bought the PS4 version of this, and have mostly been playing the PC version prior...

Apparently on the PS4 version they do not label what the Resource deposits are before you travel to them. On the PC, they say something like "Copper Deposit", but on the PS4 it simply says "Resource Deposit". Any idea what's going on with this?

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Solvency posted:

One thing I've noticed since I've bought the PS4 version of this, and have mostly been playing the PC version prior...

Apparently on the PS4 version they do not label what the Resource deposits are before you travel to them. On the PC, they say something like "Copper Deposit", but on the PS4 it simply says "Resource Deposit". Any idea what's going on with this?

If I'm foot and I center over their icon when using the scanner they say what they are. Not sure if this is only if they're in range or something. I can play around a bit more later to check, but I haven't had any issues identifying and tagging specific resources.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Gravy Jones posted:

If I'm foot and I center over their icon when using the scanner they say what they are. Not sure if this is only if they're in range or something. I can play around a bit more later to check, but I haven't had any issues identifying and tagging specific resources.

Yeah but his point is that that only happens when you're a couple of yards away, so it's useless for searching for a specific resource because you're doing a ton of unnecessary legwork to check every deposit in the area. If that's true about the PC version it's kind of weird because I can't imagine there's any technical reason for it.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

ToastyPotato posted:

I could look past all the quality of life issues if they would just fix the crazy bugs. Like this base computer bug is super common it seems, as are a bunch of freighter/fleet issues. And some other quest bugs. Just fixing those would make the game unbelievably better. That is without fixing base building bugs even!

Also, did they seriously make the exocraft control like an actual RC car and not like almost every video game car in the last 20+ years? :psyduck: My left stick is throttle/reverse and right stick is turning. WTF? I swear to god this game is a prank sometimes.

I mean, they're working on it, it's just in descending order of criticality. The bug that caused the current save and all autosaves to be corrupted and unplayable because frigate fleet missions caused an overflow in your save data got fixed last week and they've made a few bug fix patches since and will presumably be making more. I'll criticize Hello Games for a lot but at this point I'll never say they aren't willing to patch and keep patching their baby until the end of time.

Now, that said, I think it's a fair criticism to say that the extent and breadth of some of the iffy stuff in this game, from save corruption straight down to npcs having placeholder dialogue when they give you missions, really suggests that Next needed a few more months in the oven before actual release. Some of the stuff that's lacking is a bit silly, frankly, and it's only that the core exploration gameplay loop is good enough that people give NMS the same pass they'd give an elder scrolls game.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Very nice. Sky may be a little green.

I think about 50 pages ago there was a mod posted that got rid of some of the filter crap from the display? Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Unkempt posted:

Very nice. Sky may be a little green.

I think about 50 pages ago there was a mod posted that got rid of some of the filter crap from the display? Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Probably Clean UI for Next

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

haveblue posted:

Yeah but his point is that that only happens when you're a couple of yards away, so it's useless for searching for a specific resource because you're doing a ton of unnecessary legwork to check every deposit in the area. If that's true about the PC version it's kind of weird because I can't imagine there's any technical reason for it.

I'm seeing them at least 500-600 out, can't check just how far at the moment. Maybe a scanner upgrade thing? I don't recall ever noticing a generic "resource deposit" marker, but I may just have been totally oblivious to it!

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Do any of the simple floor tile pieces snap to the corridors or prefab rooms or landing pads?

I can connect landing pads to prefab rooms via I / T / X corridors but I can't seem to nicely put together an open-to-the-sky walkway between things.

Am I missing some trick for snapping these things together?

I've run out of blueprints to unlock with the blueprint analyzer, so I think I have all the possible bits handy...

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Meiteron posted:

I mean, they're working on it, it's just in descending order of criticality. The bug that caused the current save and all autosaves to be corrupted and unplayable because frigate fleet missions caused an overflow in your save data got fixed last week and they've made a few bug fix patches since and will presumably be making more. I'll criticize Hello Games for a lot but at this point I'll never say they aren't willing to patch and keep patching their baby until the end of time.

Now, that said, I think it's a fair criticism to say that the extent and breadth of some of the iffy stuff in this game, from save corruption straight down to npcs having placeholder dialogue when they give you missions, really suggests that Next needed a few more months in the oven before actual release. Some of the stuff that's lacking is a bit silly, frankly, and it's only that the core exploration gameplay loop is good enough that people give NMS the same pass they'd give an elder scrolls game.

Yeah they definitely needed like a month or two more. I hope a lot of these show stoppers get fixed sooner than later. The latest patch didn't really seem to have anything major in it, which was a bit worrying. I hope we get a major fix this week for some of the bigger stuff.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

ToastyPotato posted:

I think the weird-rear end control scheme is the only thing keeping me from using the Nomad basically all the time when I'm not in my ship. It's useless for resource collection since it doesn't even have enough slots to install all the upgrades, but can get sick air off *anything*.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
As someone with no experience on this game, I picked it up reading the articles online, and I haven't encountered any real bugs and I'm enjoying it a lot. It's very chill when i'm stressed.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

Thundarr posted:

I think the weird-rear end control scheme is the only thing keeping me from using the Nomad basically all the time when I'm not in my ship. It's useless for resource collection since it doesn't even have enough slots to install all the upgrades, but can get sick air off *anything*.

Is there no way to alter the control scheme? I haven't made it that far in basebuilding. I messed around in creative mode and tried the three exocraft and yeah those control are wonky. For some reason it reminds me of some 90s games but I can't put my finger on which ones.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

Just remembered the games I was thinking of. Reminds me of the arcade style racing games with the left and right levers to control the craft and to turn you sort of tilt your body left or right. Maybe that was they were going for?

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

TjyvTompa posted:

No, what I mean is that while you have the quest selected go and interact with any other of your base computers, that worked for me.

I got this bug last night. I'd jumped my freighter into an abandoned system then jumped on to the next place (again with freighter since it has no restrictions and 5 warps per fuel). The base location icon is sitting in space where the freighter was in the abandoned system.
I tried what you wrote but it keeps telling me my base is in another system - the abandoned one. I tried making a new base, same thing.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

GrumpyGoesWest posted:

Just remembered the games I was thinking of. Reminds me of the arcade style racing games with the left and right levers to control the craft and to turn you sort of tilt your body left or right. Maybe that was they were going for?

It is the control scheme of almost every remote control car toy that didn't use a mini wheel and trigger. Wouldn't be shocked if random games attempted to copy that scheme, but it is kind of ridiculous that a game would do that in more recent years especially a game like this where nothing else controls that way anyway and RC cars aren't remotely as popular as they used to be.

Ratzap posted:

I got this bug last night. I'd jumped my freighter into an abandoned system then jumped on to the next place (again with freighter since it has no restrictions and 5 warps per fuel). The base location icon is sitting in space where the freighter was in the abandoned system.
I tried what you wrote but it keeps telling me my base is in another system - the abandoned one. I tried making a new base, same thing.

There are instructions somewhere on what to do with the freighter. Involves sending it away or something, I dunno. I don't have a freighter so I am probably screwed until I get one and hopefully the bug switches to that and I can try to proper fix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Meiteron posted:

If you're looking to make money to afford these things, and since you mention you have the terrain manipulator, it's time to get into archaeology.

Grab all the navigation data you can, there's usually a few to be snagged in every space station. They can be found on planetary outposts as well, as well as rare spawn outside on planets (they will show up in your scanner with a yellow marker as "Ancient Data Structures"). Go to a hospitable planet, drop a signal booster, burn a navigation data to find an alien artifact. If you get a monolith, try again. If you get a ruin or a plaque, activate it and choose the second option (seek knowledge of the past). This puts a buried ruin on your map. Fly to that ruin, use your scanner to find three small boxes either on the ruin or buried underground. Grab three keys from the small boxes, find the large chest roughly in the centre of the ruin (again, usually buried) and open it for an item. This item has no purpose but to be sold, and will sell for a random value, as low as 100k to as high as several million units. Then drop your signal booster and find another ruin to repeat the process.

In addition to giving you loot that you can sell for cash probably faster then space station missions, you will be flying to and fro around planets, picking up resources, scanning things, finding other points of interest. Do this primarily in vy'keen systems if you can, as they have a couple unique events when talking to vy'keen NPCs which can straight up give you a multi-tool for free. It might be worse, it might be better; even if it's totally busted if it's worth more then your existing tool you can take advantage of that to cut the price of a purchasable multi-tool.

As far as scanning is concerned, while C upgrades won't be that useful I think scanner upgrades in general should be the first use of all nanites you're picking up, even if you're not jumping immediately to three S-rank scanner upgrades. Get three upgrades so you get more units from scanning flora and fauna, go explore worlds, scan everything. Upload what you scan from the Discoveries menu to make back the nanites you paid. Meanwhile enjoy the dramatically increased unit rewards for all the scanning you were probably doing anyway.

Cheers for this, helped me out quite a bit with the first 600 grand from two sites. Then I stumbled across a way to make a shitton of cash more by accident than intent. I had previously come across these small infested outposts surrounded by whispering eggs, and got turbomauled when I tried to mine one of them, so I ran into the safety of the outpost and waited for the swarm to subside. However, before trying to mine the eggs, I accidentally had the terrain manipulator selected, so I dug out some terrain beneath the nests that the larval core spawning from the egg rolled into. After the swarm subsided, I put two and two together and figured I could try to carve out a funnel underneath the nest and then dig a little cubbyhole next to it.

I then dropped in, mined the eggs from below, grabbed the larval cores that dropped into the funnel, and picked off the aliens that came near the entrance of the funnel. They somehow either couldn't enter the funnel, and when one glitched into it, i just picked it off again.
Since the larval cores are 95,000 apiece, and there were something like 25 eggs around the outpost, it ended up being a quick 2.4 million. Came sorta close to dying, but pulled off with one health point left.

This is how a nest looked after being mined out.

Traveled back to the starting system and bought my 23-slot A-class multitool :)

Now I'm looking up adjacency bonuses for upgrades for this thing, since I already have an S-class scanner upgrade and figured I have to plop it right below the scanner, and set the upgrades up in a line

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Aug 8, 2018