Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Does anyone know how many points were used to buy stats for the starter set characters? Someone wants to build their own character and I want to make sure they're on par with everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The pregen Barbarian has:
16 STR, 14 DEX, 15 CON, 9 INT, 13 WIS, 11 CHA

since they're a Human, you subtract one from each stat to remove the race bonus, which gives us:
15, 13, 14, 8, 12, 10

reordering that from highest to lowest gives us
15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8

The standard array in the PHB, page 13, is 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8. It's a match

Alternatively:
15 costs 9 points
14 costs 7 points
13 costs 5 points
12 costs 4 points
10 costs 2 points
That's a total of 27 points, which is the standard amount you get

So use the standard array, or use a 27-point spread.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

The Dregs posted:

Oh I've been there before. I am preparing the story now.

Link it here when you're done.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Playing with Order Cleric it's pretty fun and its awesome for healing to not be an entirely missed turn and waste with being able to heal someone to get a second attack off.

Also being able to use Healing Word to make someone attack then paste a monster/cast a spell is pretty drat cool.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

The Dregs posted:

Oh, I know it. It's already started. I talked to him last night and told him my character was going to be an older guy, maybe early sixties. He said that I'd have to lower his STR and DEX, but I could raise INT and WIS (we're all limited to martial classes, btw). I told him to gently caress off. He said it just wasn't realistic.
I'm going to curl up in a ball and weep for your future tragedy over the dreaded words.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

kingcom posted:

Oh poo poo I never looked at it like this.

Try this one on for size: 3.5e was the tsardom while 5e is the Yeltsin era and beyond.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
3.5 was the compromise of 1850, and 5e is presidential reconstruction

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
5e makes the third crusade look like the first crusade

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Arthil posted:

So I've got two characters I'm messing around with, and I wanted to dip in to see if I can't catch any advice.

1. Dual-wielding and sword&board is little impediment to a Paladin. There's nothing they cast as a Reaction, in the case of S&B they can use their shield as a Holy Symbol, and in the case of TWF they can just put away one of the weapons as an object interaction to leave the hand free to cast, seeing as they're using either their Action or Bonus Action for that so they're not attacking with both weapons on that turn anyway. Though, don't take the Dual-Wielding Feat until after you've maxed out your DEX; it's an unimpressive feat all told, and really much better for STR dual-wielders who are dealing with random loot drops than for twin rapier guys.

2. What's this pussy-footing? You need to go the Full Meme, man. Half-Orc with a Great Axe, GWM at 4 then after 5 splash the 3 Meme Stalker levels, then back to Samurai as far as the campaign will take you (more Strength). If you start in darkness you open with Zephyr Strike since all your attacks will have advantage anyway, and if the enemy can see you then you use Fighting Spirit instead.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ferrinus posted:

Try this one on for size: 3.5e was the tsardom while 5e is the Yeltsin era and beyond.

3.5: Obama
4e: Bernie
5e: Hillary
Pathfinder 2: Bernie would have won

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Shadow of the Demon Lord: Trump

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

American politics: FATAL

Serf
May 5, 2011

Toebone posted:

Shadow of the Demon Lord: Trump

ocasio-cortez, actually

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

5e with homebrew classes: That one trump guy who got mega drunk and went on a bunch of TV shows

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

tote up a bags posted:

5e with homebrew classes: That one trump guy who got mega drunk and went on a bunch of TV shows

The Mooch?

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Reik posted:

The Mooch?

Sam Nunberg, chaotic drunk

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Andrast posted:

American politics: FATAL

3.5: Churchill
4e: Attlee
5e: Thatcher

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

The Dregs posted:

Oh, I know it. It's already started. I talked to him last night and told him my character was going to be an older guy, maybe early sixties. He said that I'd have to lower his STR and DEX, but I could raise INT and WIS (we're all limited to martial classes, btw). I told him to gently caress off. He said it just wasn't realistic.

Yeah gently caress that poo poo.

You guys can only be what? Fighters and Rogues and only take subclasses with no magic?

I prefer low magic campaigns but that, to me, means that the PC wizard casting spells is a loving huge deal to them simple folk on the edges of civilization. Or that magic sword the fighter has? That's a huge deal.

This no-magic setting, compiled with him limiting the character stats outside of game? Just peace out man, this isn't worth it. It's just going to ruin your table.

I guess in his defence I do the same thing with older NPCs that are retired adventurers. I give them all the "Old Man Strength" feat. Which is basically -4 STR/CON unless poo poo gets serious, then it reverses.

So that level 10 retired Fighter with the bum leg that looks a big strong but not too much? Yeah you'll beat his 12 STR in a friendly arm wrestle. Try and kill him and take his poo poo? You bet your rear end you tapped into his primal survival and his adrenaline just shot him to 20 STR and you're gunna have a bad time.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Fighters, rangers, barbarians, rogues, and monks are allowed. We're allowed one cleric, but cleric can only memorize healing and support spells. We have to avoid overtly magical subclasses and reskin any minor magic we end up with as something mundane. As for that, I don't know how much leeway we have, since none bothered to make any magical classes other than the or cleric.

Oh and paladins are allowed, but they have to be super ultra 1e lawful good.

Also, I can't really just peace out. The game is a weekly social occasion at this point. My wife cooks everyone an awesome meal, and we make a bit of a party of the evening. He's been preparing for so long. I just hope it doesn't end with him pissed at all of us when it falls apart.

The Dregs fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Aug 8, 2018

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

Conspiratiorist posted:

1. Dual-wielding and sword&board is little impediment to a Paladin. There's nothing they cast as a Reaction, in the case of S&B they can use their shield as a Holy Symbol, and in the case of TWF they can just put away one of the weapons as an object interaction to leave the hand free to cast, seeing as they're using either their Action or Bonus Action for that so they're not attacking with both weapons on that turn anyway. Though, don't take the Dual-Wielding Feat until after you've maxed out your DEX; it's an unimpressive feat all told, and really much better for STR dual-wielders who are dealing with random loot drops than for twin rapier guys.

2. What's this pussy-footing? You need to go the Full Meme, man. Half-Orc with a Great Axe, GWM at 4 then after 5 splash the 3 Meme Stalker levels, then back to Samurai as far as the campaign will take you (more Strength). If you start in darkness you open with Zephyr Strike since all your attacks will have advantage anyway, and if the enemy can see you then you use Fighting Spirit instead.

I'll keep that in mind for the Paladin, wouldn't be hard to keep a shield handy just in case.

And man, I know. But I've already really dug in with the Bugbear thing and am digging it. Currently being at Level 4, with enough "downtime days" to just bump me right to 5 if I wanted. Think I should keep Polearm Master, or maybe swap that out for GWM to start off with? I do like the fact that I could whack an enemy from 15-ft away and then basically get a free AoO when they step in closer to get to me on their own turn.

It should be noted that none of my characters except for my half-orc kensei monk are in what you'd call a "campaign". Everything else is just my local community event stuff, where they give the structure of hopping between games but not the restrictions on leveling/loot/book use.

Also, gently caress. I hadn't even given thought about Umbral Sight giving Advantage. Oh that'll be fantastic... Now to steal the rest of the parties torches.

Arthil fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Aug 8, 2018

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

MonsterEnvy posted:

Cause it's kind of hypocritical for you to come in here and constantly complain about the game and nothing else.
Yeah, but Arivia was being really dumb there, just like you're being, here.

Also I'd give 5e the 3rd best position. After 4e and BECMI, which both do their own thing and do it (mostly) well.

The Dregs posted:

Fighters, rangers, barbarians, rogues, and monks are allowed. We're allowed one cleric, but cleric can only memorize healing and support spells. We have to avoid overtly magical subclasses and reskin any minor magic we end up with as something mundane. As for that, I don't know how much leeway we have, since none bothered to make any magical classes other than the or cleric.

Oh and paladins are allowed, but they have to be super ultra 1e lawful good.

Also, I can't really just peace out. The game is a weekly social occasion at this point. My wife cooks everyone an awesome meal, and we make a bit of a party of the evening. He's been preparing for so long. I just hope it doesn't end with him pissed at all of us when it falls apart.
Yeah in that case it looks like the grog has his audience for a while. If it doesn't work out, you and the other players can figure out some way to let him down gently.

It totally sounds like a disaster in the making, but who knows? Maybe it'll end up somehow rocking? Or be mostly good with some weird warts? It's kind of a truism at this point that a good group can have fun with a bad game. (With the caveats that a bad DM will ruin all that, and a good game would be better.)

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

gradenko_2000 posted:

gurps: senator james traficant

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

Yeah, but Arivia was being really dumb there, just like you're being, here.

Also I'd give 5e the 3rd best position. After 4e and BECMI, which both do their own thing and do it (mostly) well.

Yeah in that case it looks like the grog has his audience for a while. If it doesn't work out, you and the other players can figure out some way to let him down gently.

It totally sounds like a disaster in the making, but who knows? Maybe it'll end up somehow rocking? Or be mostly good with some weird warts? It's kind of a truism at this point that a good group can have fun with a bad game. (With the caveats that a bad DM will ruin all that, and a good game would be better.)

Hey, I'm almost already in a no/low-magic campaign in terms of the players with my monk! The Paladin multi-classing into Druid at level 6, the 2/2 Ranger/Druid split who I think finally took more levels in one or the other.

Basically no one is a spellcaster above 3rd level spells, and we've already had a Fireball dropped on us by an enemy spellcaster. The Paladin also seems to not use the magic spear they got over their halberd, despite having no real reason to use it(such as having Polearm Mastery).

So far I think the only competent damage we have is my monk, the 1 Rogue/5 Barbarian, and the new character of the Warlock that got turned into a smear on the pavement that's a Battle Master DEX-Fighter.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Serf posted:

ocasio-cortez, actually

I didn’t know AOC was into scat lit.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Rifts: Republican in fighting

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Arthil posted:

Also, gently caress. I hadn't even given thought about Umbral Sight giving Advantage. Oh that'll be fantastic... Now to steal the rest of the parties torches.

For real, Gloom Stalker is incredibly strong with how ubiquitous darkness is.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
For people who have played a Vengeance Paladin, how often do you use Abjure Enemy over Vow of Enmity? The ability to frighten one enemy with a chance to save which breaks on damage seems like complete dogshit compared to guaranteed advantage against an enemy of my choice for the whole fight.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

For real, Gloom Stalker is incredibly strong with how ubiquitous darkness is.

The best thing is that given the insane reach from a Bugbear, I could be in an area that is considered darkness while the enemy is in dim light and still hit them. That'll depend heavily on whether a DM thinks about that kind of thing though. "It's all dim light?" "Yup... " "What's causing that then?" "Uhh... "

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Cassa posted:

It's what got me into it. When they swapped editions, it was pretty hilarious to watch Kurtz realise how one note the new cleric was in comparison.

Man I was at this liveshow and it was such a shitstorm.

The pre-game podcast:

Mike K - Yeah this Wizard is pretty sweet I guess. I only played 4e so break down this Spell Slot thing.

Jerry - Speaking of 4e, I really loved how Healing Word encouraged Clerics to be more than Healbots, how does your 1 Action rule change that?

Scott - Fighters have no options so I've been drawing Binwin for the past 20 minutes.

Mike K - So Wheatons playing. What does the 5e Avenger look like?

Mearls/Chris - *stammer about how cool the new flexible class is while debating between Ranger and Cleric*

The actual game:

Wil - I lower my sword at him, time to die motherfucker *spits out Elven catchphrase*, Oath of Enmity!

Chris - BTW that's a 10 minute ritual now.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

My gnome illusionist guy just went from 4th to 5th, any pro spell picks i should make? Playing Strahd.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
I thought this was a 5e thread.

I'll return us to the topic with shameless promotion. :p

http://www.dmsguild.com/product/203993/The-Minotaurs-of-the-Stonelands

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

sebmojo posted:

My gnome illusionist guy just went from 4th to 5th, any pro spell picks i should make? Playing Strahd.

Hypnotic pattern, counterspell, dispel magic. I forget how Barovia works but Leomunds’s Tiny Hut if that works there.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Counterspell and Dispel Magic are both great. Looking at whatever magic bullshit is messing with you and just going "nope" is fantastic.

Some DMs get lovely about it when you frequently bypass their magic bullshit, and start to "compensate" with various anti-dispel tricks as if "burn a high-level-for-you spell slot to overcome a specific problem" isn't what all spellcasters do all the time.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Counterspell gets worse if you use the spell identification rules from XGtE, so check with your DM. Identifying a spell takes a reaction and a skill check, so either you have an ally ID it for you and yell it out or you blindly counterspell an unknown spell of an unknown level. Still not bad, but worse than the pre-XGtE counterspell.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

AlphaDog posted:

Counterspell and Dispel Magic are both great. Looking at whatever magic bullshit is messing with you and just going "nope" is fantastic.

Some DMs get lovely about it when you frequently bypass their magic bullshit, and start to "compensate" with various anti-dispel tricks as if "burn a high-level-for-you spell slot to overcome a specific problem" isn't what all spellcasters do all the time.

Our party almost got ourselves nuked into the ground by three red mages in our current game of ToA. I think the only thing that prevented all of us dying was when our wizard managed to get off a counterspell that stopped the second fireball from being dropped on us. That and Xandala dominating one of them to set a fireball off in his own face.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Elysiume posted:

Counterspell gets worse if you use the spell identification rules from XGtE, so check with your DM. Identifying a spell takes a reaction and a skill check, so either you have an ally ID it for you and yell it out or you blindly counterspell an unknown spell of an unknown level. Still not bad, but worse than the pre-XGtE counterspell.

Why do you need to know exactly what spell it is to counter it? Paladin can cure a disease without knowing what it is with Lay on Hands so I would just assume you could do that.

Or, alternatively, as part of your counterspell reaction you ID the spell before you cast?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
That’s what I meant by blind countering. You can’t be sure if they’re casting Magic Missile or Blight, so you just need to counterspell and hope for the best. If they were casting MM you all but wasted your reaction and spell slot. If they were casting Blight, you missed your opportunity to heighten the Counterspell for a guaranteed counter. If you heighten without knowing the spell, it's an even bigger waste in the MM case. A canny sorcerer can bait out a counterspell with a cantrip, then quicken a more impressive spell after the enemy wizard has burnt their reaction. Counterspell still has its uses, but it's less powerful when you're forced to work with partial information.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Aug 9, 2018

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Part of me kind of likes a free Arcana check vs the enemy's DC to see if you know exactly whats coming out before you gamble on casting counterspell, but it could get tedious if you're spiting players rather than making it more tense.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Often such fine print is there so GMs and Modules can just go "Shut up! It's an entirely unique spell/item that you can't possibly know, so works without a hitch!". While ALSO allowing NPCs to use their GM meta gaming powers to always know what the PC is casting.

4th ed disenchant item was explicitly only allowed to disenchant "Anything the player accessible enchant item spell could make" style rules just so people couldn't turn the One Ring into magical money powder, for example.

See also: Stealth rules. No matter how complex or how basic stealth and perception rules are. From DnD to HERO, it often to mean gently caress all to NPCs and they'll get their mandated ambush.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Aug 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Where's the passive stealth score for automating the party trying to sneak.