Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Just gonna quote myself here.

Thwomp posted:

Feed during the taxi or immediately upon take off. Hopefully that heads off any ear pressure and helps nudge her into sleep during the main part of the flight.

At least that’s how it worked for my six month old when we flew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

We are taking a 5 hour trip by plane (including 1 hour layover) with what will be our 4 month old in October. You guys have any tips or insight about flying with an infant?

If your infant likes pacifiers, bring at least two of the kind they like the most, and at least one each of two different kinds. (Sucking opens eustachian tubes.)
Buy a seat for the infant and bring their car seat.
Bring one diaper for every hour you'll be out of the house.
Watch a youtube video on installing your current car seat in an airplane, if one's available. Otherwise watch a youtube video on installing it in a car, lap-belt-only.
Plan to leave enough space in one of y'all's carryons that you can bring their favorite blanket, in case they get cold and in hopes of settling them to sleep in their car seat.
Remember that if your child has their own seat, they get their own carryon bag and personal item, unless you're flying an airline that charges for carryons.
You can't sit in an exit row with a car seat and probably shouldn't sit in the bulkhead, so you have easier access to at least one carryon, so if that's a leg-room issue, plan to stretch often on the planes.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Have a retention strap for the pacifier(s).

Maybe doesn’t apply so much at 4 months but you don’t want to have to try and pick it up if it gets dropped.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
School cannot start soon enough.

That is all.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Axiem posted:

School cannot start soon enough.

That is all.

Mine start on Friday. 60 hours from now. Not that I'm counting.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
My twins went to daycare this tuesday, it's their first time going into separate groups. Though they meet when they go outside. Seemed to hae gone well, though they asked for each other several times I was told. But they are much calmer and better behaved on their own.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
My son started daycare last week. Oof. As soon as we stop in front of it, he starts crying and asking for mama. I feel terrible but I know it'll pass. He's been talking WAY more so I'm super super proud of him and he's never acted up there.

Guys, did you know being a parent is hard? :smith:

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

The new Making It show on NBC is pretty little kid friendly. (I also call it Pintrest the show) It's an hour long, but it has a good stopping point in the middle of each episode to split it up.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Irritated Goat posted:

My son started daycare last week. Oof. As soon as we stop in front of it, he starts crying and asking for mama. I feel terrible but I know it'll pass. He's been talking WAY more so I'm super super proud of him and he's never acted up there.

Guys, did you know being a parent is hard? :smith:

We had to start daycare at 7 weeks old (gently caress the US) so I know your pain. :( - However it passed really quick for us. Like... 2 or 3 weeks at most. And then we moved to a better daycare at 6 months old and it kind of started over again, but quickly went away as well. It felt like it was a freakin' month and then it was "OK BYE!!!!!!!!" and she was off running to class and I had to chase her down just to get a hug. :(

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

My wife is due at the end of the month. We are probably going to end up doing daycare, starting at 14 weeks, and I'm already dreading it.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

butros posted:

My wife is due at the end of the month. We are probably going to end up doing daycare, starting at 14 weeks, and I'm already dreading it.

The only good thing I can tell you is that it really *does* get easy quick. Especially once you're able to kind of re-root in some semblance of a routine (work, whatever).

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Both of our kids are in daycare. Our daughter started when she was 8 weeks and our son started at 10 weeks, and they both handled the transition very well. While my wife was sad at first, she really enjoyed being able to go back to work. Also, there are plenty of good things about daycare if you want to put a positive outlook on the idea:
  • Early exposure to social interaction
  • Early exposure to having other caregivers
  • Learning new skills / ideas (our daycare has a rotating cast of teachers that will "formally" teach toddler-aged children something for about 20 minutes each day)
  • Exposure to disease (this sucks a lot, but is good in the long-run, as I've read that group-care children get sick less when they begin formal schooling)
  • Semi-structured group play
  • Access to toys / crafts / books that you likely don't have at home
  • Depending on the daycare - healthy breakfast, lunch, and snacks provided

Daycare has helped us teach / reinforce so many general life skills (e.g. potty training, learning how to use a cup, following instructions, etc.). Even if the cost is high (~$10k annually per kid where we live), it still only comes down to ~$4/hr for each teacher in their class rooms, which is much less than I'd pay a nanny / babysitter.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
This 100%. I barely had to potty train my older one because he saw the other kids doing it and wanted to be like them.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Good-Natured Filth posted:

Also, there are plenty of good things about daycare if you want to put a positive outlook on the idea:
  • Early exposure to social interaction
  • Early exposure to having other caregivers
  • Learning new skills / ideas (our daycare has a rotating cast of teachers that will "formally" teach toddler-aged children something for about 20 minutes each day)
  • Exposure to disease (this sucks a lot, but is good in the long-run, as I've read that group-care children get sick less when they begin formal schooling)
  • Semi-structured group play
  • Access to toys / crafts / books that you likely don't have at home
  • Depending on the daycare - healthy breakfast, lunch, and snacks provided

I'm trying to focus on a lot of these points when thinking about it.

The part I feel most stressed about is the lack of direct interaction that I or my wife will have with her when she's in daycare - assuming dropping the baby off at a daycare around 8AM and picking up around 5-6PM and a bedtime of 7-7:30PM, that's super limited interaction on a daily basis outside of the weekends.

While I do get that yes, it's inevitable when they go to school, it's hard to think about having only a few hours of interaction time per day when they are at such a young impressionable age. I am having a hard time with the idea that even with all the good stuff listed above that such a quick separation from constant interaction at such a young age is ok for her.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Daycare has been nothing but excellent for my kid.

Yes it's incredibly lovely the US expects parents to hand over their tiny newborns without nearly enough time to adjust but a quality daycare program has lots and lots of benefits for everyone.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

What are the best resources/methods to find and screen for a good local daycare? Any things to look out for specifically when choosing? I will also be a first time (super paranoid) parent soon and will likely need daycare at 6 months.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!

butros posted:

The part I feel most stressed about is the lack of direct interaction that I or my wife will have with her when she's in daycare - assuming dropping the baby off at a daycare around 8AM and picking up around 5-6PM and a bedtime of 7-7:30PM, that's super limited interaction on a daily basis outside of the weekends.

While I do get that yes, it's inevitable when they go to school, it's hard to think about having only a few hours of interaction time per day when they are at such a young impressionable age. I am having a hard time with the idea that even with all the good stuff listed above that such a quick separation from constant interaction at such a young age is ok for her.

It's a valid feeling and something that is always hard when you aren't with your kids, whatever the age. When they are super young, they're sleeping a lot and boring lumps so I don't feel that I missed much. Once they start moving around, you'll miss stuff but I greatly appreciate having a resource close by that is giving my children social and educational growth. I don't have family close and I'm not a trained in children's development so this is the next best thing.

My daycare also sends me tons of pictures throughout the day and I can check in on the video feed at any time to see what they're up to. When you see them having fun, it alleviates some of that day care guilt.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Hey goons, how do I get my three and a half year old to stop pissing everywhere but the toilet? She's more than capable she just doesn't want to and I'm about ready to chuck her out the window. Just now she went into the bathroom, stood on her step by the toilet and pissed all down her legs. For the second time today.

If she doesn't sort it out she won't be able to go to the awesome kindergarten she's excited about and will have to go to nursery instead which she doesn't like at all. She knows this.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Gravitee posted:

This 100%. I barely had to potty train my older one because he saw the other kids doing it and wanted to be like them.

Yeah our daycare is awesome as well. They potty trained her in like 2 weeks total. It was insane. It's a catholic daycare (but we're not religious) and half the day is teaching and half the day is play. So there are classes with simple curriculums and it's frickin' great. They also have an awesome playground. So our daughter gets tons of play, actually learns, gets two square meals and a snack while she's there, loves her teachers and has made tons of friends. She's always showing off what she learns when she gets home.

Even if I was rich enough to afford a stay at home nanny, I can't ever imagine I would. It's been invaluable. And it's in Mississippi so it's pretty cheap ($500/month - but parents do have to partake in a lot of fundraising to help offset some costs).

butros posted:

My wife and I still struggle with this... but really just between her and I. It doesn't seem to actually have an effect on my daughter at all (but to be fair I don't know how I'd really measure it if it did). Sometimes I lament not having a ton of time with her on the weekdays but the weekends more than make up for it and just watching her growing so much from daycare and how she loves her friends... I think she's doing just fine!

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Aug 8, 2018

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Cocks Cable posted:

What are the best resources/methods to find and screen for a good local daycare? Any things to look out for specifically when choosing? I will also be a first time (super paranoid) parent soon and will likely need daycare at 6 months.

I don't have a great website or anything, but word of mouth is very important obviously. Knowing what I know now, some sort of teaching curriculum is important to me. They're young so no stupid "we're gonna make your child a genius at all cost" bullshit. Just normal stuff. Video/picture checkin is a big thing for a lot of people. Our daycare doesn't have it, but they have a great reputation so it's a payoff for me.

Knowing that they potty trained our child like a champ (with minimal assistance from home) that might be something to look at. Some daycares definitely don't do it and expect you to do it 100%.

Most people also don't know how long you need to be on the waiting lists in a lot of places. If you're expecting then get on the waiting list *now* especially if you find a good place. This means that sometimes your place will open up and you have to start paying before your child is even born. Usually you can sublet out your spots though in this case until your child is ready.

Get on lots of lists, even if you get in one, stay on the other lists. If you decide to switch because you don't like it then you won't have to start over on the other places waiting lists.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Is it prevalent to put your kids into daycare starting at 8 weeks in the US? That is utterly insane to me. That's still near enough a newborn baby! And nowhere near enough time for Mum (and Dad, really). Are there any mandatory maternity leave payments from employers?

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Bardeh posted:

Is it prevalent to put your kids into daycare starting at 8 weeks in the US? That is utterly insane to me. That's still near enough a newborn baby! And nowhere near enough time for Mum (and Dad, really). Are there any mandatory maternity leave payments from employers?

Hahahahahaha

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Real answer: no, no one has to pay you anything.

Some cities in the US have paid leave policies, but very very few. Most of us are up to the mercy of what the employer decides to provide for paid leave, if that's anything.

Most daycares take kids starting at 6 weeks old because that's the standard "disability" period given for most mothers. A lot of people can't afford much more than that time off work unpaid so 6 weeks old they start.

It's really sad. We are unique in the developed world for not providing any paid parental leave as a country. And the unpaid leave (up to 12 weeks provided you work at an employer required to follow the law, there are many exceptions) is a joke because it's so short and also a lot of people can't afford to take very long unpaid anyway.

sheri fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Aug 9, 2018

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

sheri posted:

Some cities in the US have paid leave policies, but very very few. Most of us are up to the mercy of what the employer decides to do, if that's anything.

Most daycares take kids starting at 6 weeks old because that's the standard "disability" period given for most mothers. A lot of people can't afford much more than that time off work unpaid so 6 weeks old they start.

It's really sad. We are unique in the developed world for not providing any paid parental leave as a country. And the unpaid leave (up to 12 weeks provided you work at an employer required to follow the law, there are many exceptions) is a joke because it's so short and also a lot of people can't afford to take very long unpaid anyway.

You forgot to mention the implied threats from your employer that your job would be in jeopardy if you take all 12 weeks!

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Cocks Cable posted:

Yeah, recommendations from friends/neighbors is handy. I'm in Texas and the state maintains a public database of all daycare violations as well. That was nice, pretty much everywhere we looked had some, but there's a substantive difference between a minor violation for paperwork or whatever vs repeated violations for dangerous playgrounds or being out of ratio. One place we looked at had been cited a few times before for having too high of a student to teacher ratio. We visited anyways on the recommendation of some friends and they were too high (5 infants to 1 teacher) when we visited. Geez.

I'd definitely recommend visiting. We popped into a lot around here, some that were recommended, others that we'd just driven past. Every place we visited was willing to show us around, whether we'd called in advance or not. Talk to the teachers. See how they interact with kids. Like one place we went some kid was crying literally the whole time we were there and never got any attention from the teacher. Does it look like a place a kid might enjoy going? Are the kids enjoying it? Ask about teacher turnover. I feel like long term teachers probably like doing it. Ask about how they handle medication, sunscreen, and bug spray. There's places here that won't apply sunscreen, which means if they have a day with a lot of outdoor activity, you've gotta put it on before drop off and just hope it lasts. It's probably not relevant now, but a lot of them here had extra programs, gymnastics, Spanish, or whatever. See what's offered and at what cost. Definitely check on how they handle breastmilk/formula and how they transition to solids. One place I looked at they couldn't start eating off the school menu until 18 months. Forget that. Some we visited had iPads where every feeding, nap, and diaper changed was logged and can be accessed remotely for minute by minute updates through the day. Some have infant rooms that are remotely viewable.

Ultimately, go with the school where you feel most comfortable. You may have to make sacrifices, especially if you prefer cloth diapers or glass bottles or something, but figure out what's most important to you and go with it.

We wound up settling on a smaller school. It's lower tech than some, but that comes with a lower price tag too. They have a cook in house that makes meals daily and a widely varied menu (chicken nuggets only once a month!). Their infant room teachers were there forever, the lead for like 18 years. They do a lot of activities, this summer there's been multiple splash days, Pirate and Mermaid day, Luau day, etc. Part of what really sold us was seeing the director talk to one of the mom's picking up. She was running the joint but clearly knew the kid and the family and was interested. The big downside is their long rear end waitlist and now my second kid is in another daycare while we wait for a spot.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

sheri posted:

Some cities in the US have paid leave policies, but very very few. Most of us are up to the mercy of what the employer decides to do, if that's anything.

Wow, that is...utterly crazy. I had to go back to work a month after my son was born, but I couldn't imagine my wife also doing that two weeks later and us leaving the baby with complete strangers. Holy poo poo.

Aagar
Mar 30, 2006

E/N Gestapo
I am talking to a mod right now about getting you probated/banned/gassed

His Divine Shadow posted:

My twins went to daycare this tuesday, it's their first time going into separate groups. Though they meet when they go outside. Seemed to hae gone well, though they asked for each other several times I was told. But they are much calmer and better behaved on their own.

'Sup fellow parent of twins.

My twins had a bit of difficulty adjusting (started in Grade 1 - they moved to a new school and the policy was to separate twins). But honestly they have adjusted fine and the benefits have been numerous:

- they get along better when they are together at home
- they are interacting with different social groups at school, which gives them more confidence in solo situations
- teachers don't have to worry about trying to tell them apart (they are fraternal twins, but beyond my wife and I only the grandparents can usually tell them apart)

I was a bit wary at first, but after the first month it's been all positives an no negatives. They can still hang out at recess if they choose to, but they often don't.

drat - I've been mostly lurking on SA for the last few years (with twins, not a ton of time to post on the internet). Now that they are almost 8 I'm starting to feel the freedom creeping back. We left them with my parents for a week a couple of weeks back (as I said to a colleague "I feel choked by this much freedom!") They are reading chapter books and other activities that don't involve as much of my attention (read: refereeing arguments). It's fun at this stage watching them become independent, and watching their personalities really start to diverge.

Honestly, eight years ago I could scarcely imagine going from this:

To this:

Fake Edit: Bardeh, it is crazy. Thankfully in Canada my wife had the option to take a year off, and my boss gave me a few weeks (and in the subsequent few months was nice enough to turn a blind eye to some short days and extra sick time). I couldn't even fathom daycare at six weeks.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Aagar posted:

'Sup fellow parent of twins.

My twins had a bit of difficulty adjusting (started in Grade 1 - they moved to a new school and the policy was to separate twins). But honestly they have adjusted fine and the benefits have been numerous:

- they get along better when they are together at home
- they are interacting with different social groups at school, which gives them more confidence in solo situations
- teachers don't have to worry about trying to tell them apart (they are fraternal twins, but beyond my wife and I only the grandparents can usually tell them apart)

I was a bit wary at first, but after the first month it's been all positives an no negatives. They can still hang out at recess if they choose to, but they often don't.

drat - I've been mostly lurking on SA for the last few years (with twins, not a ton of time to post on the internet). Now that they are almost 8 I'm starting to feel the freedom creeping back. We left them with my parents for a week a couple of weeks back (as I said to a colleague "I feel choked by this much freedom!") They are reading chapter books and other activities that don't involve as much of my attention (read: refereeing arguments). It's fun at this stage watching them become independent, and watching their personalities really start to diverge.

Honestly, eight years ago I could scarcely imagine going from this:

To this:

Fake Edit: Bardeh, it is crazy. Thankfully in Canada my wife had the option to take a year off, and my boss gave me a few weeks (and in the subsequent few months was nice enough to turn a blind eye to some short days and extra sick time). I couldn't even fathom daycare at six weeks.

Is your one kid a pitcher? Because he has the demeanor down pat

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I'm "lucky" that I've banked enough sick time that I can get paid for 6 weeks of maternity leave, but the last two weeks are going to be unpaid. Last pregnancy I think I only got paid for 3 weeks because I had to save up all of my PTO for the year (he was born in November).

My health insurance isn't that bad, but I still anticipate having to pay a couple thousand dollars minimum (if things go well) on top of not getting paid for half a month. I worked an extra two weeks over the summer to help cover it.

Edit: And people wonder why millenials aren't having kids :v: My mom was a cashier at Kmart when she was pregnant with me and she had to pay zero out of pocket for her entire pregnancy and birth from her kmart health insurance. My parents joke I was a blue light speci

Alterian fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Aug 9, 2018

Aagar
Mar 30, 2006

E/N Gestapo
I am talking to a mod right now about getting you probated/banned/gassed

Slimy Hog posted:

Is your one kid a pitcher? Because he has the demeanor down pat

I know, right? Maybe some day - at his level (Rookie Ball, ages 7-9) they use a pitching machine to get them used to hitting moving targets.

As I was writing that post I was looking back on the last few months - it's amazing watching your own values, on top of living in a metropolitan area (I grew up in rural whitey-town Canada, we are now close to Toronto), begin to manifest themselves in your children.

Off the top of my head:

(Watching Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers - at the part where all of the men, including the old and the young boys, are being outfitted for the upcoming battle at Helm's Deep):
Aidan: "Why aren't any of the women fighting?"
Queue semi-involved explanation about how the guy who wrote the book wrote it a long time ago when men didn't think women should go to war, but we know better now and women are a big part of the military. Also how the stereotype is offset by Eowyn disguising herself so she can join in the fighting and stabbing the Wraith King near the end.

(Home from school - I'm asking about their day)
Liam: "We had a supply teacher today, Ms. Chen."
Me: "Oh, was she Chinese?" (I to this day don't know why I asked this - I was making dinner and just trying to be engaged with them about their day and not thinking about what I was saying)
Liam: "How would I know?"
That said, they are aware of different cultures, but it is far less to do with appearance and a lot more to do with cultural beliefs/practices (e.g. Marcus has to Arabic classes on Sat so he can't come over to play Minecraft, Lee has Chinese lessons on Sunday, Abdul is celebrating Ramadan)

Right now their favorite T.V. show is "Nella the Princess Knight". They love talking about it and don't get flack for it from their friends. I can't imagine the same happening when I was in elementary school if I started going on about "My Little Pony" or something of that nature.

Money Values: Got home from work tonight and they both had a Gatorade bottle. I asked if they got them from the vending machines at camp when their mom picked them up.
Aidan: "Nooooo daddy. Those were $3.25!"
Liam: "Mommy took us to the grocery store - we got these for $1.25. And they are SOOO much bigger than the ones in the machine."
I've been trying to instill good money habits for years - nice to see dividends this soon.

All-in-all 6-7 has been a great period for us. There are a few headaches (there always are) - sibling bickering (but that's to be expected), harping on chores, and so on. If I had a nickel for every "Daddy, where's my [X]?" I could retire to the Bahamas. But like table manners, flushing the toilet, and everything else, it's constant and endless repetition that eventually yields results. I have on more than one occasion joked with my wife: "I don't blame parents who have out-of-control kids - they just hit the 101,249 time of saying 'eat over your plate your getting food all over the chair' and then their brain just broke - they gave up and let them be free-range children."

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

Aagar posted:

I know, right? Maybe some day - at his level (Rookie Ball, ages 7-9) they use a pitching machine to get them used to hitting moving targets.

As I was writing that post I was looking back on the last few months - it's amazing watching your own values, on top of living in a metropolitan area (I grew up in rural whitey-town Canada, we are now close to Toronto), begin to manifest themselves in your children.

Off the top of my head:

(Watching Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers - at the part where all of the men, including the old and the young boys, are being outfitted for the upcoming battle at Helm's Deep):
Aidan: "Why aren't any of the women fighting?"
Queue semi-involved explanation about how the guy who wrote the book wrote it a long time ago when men didn't think women should go to war, but we know better now and women are a big part of the military. Also how the stereotype is offset by Eowyn disguising herself so she can join in the fighting and stabbing the Wraith King near the end.

(Home from school - I'm asking about their day)
Liam: "We had a supply teacher today, Ms. Chen."
Me: "Oh, was she Chinese?" (I to this day don't know why I asked this - I was making dinner and just trying to be engaged with them about their day and not thinking about what I was saying)
Liam: "How would I know?"
That said, they are aware of different cultures, but it is far less to do with appearance and a lot more to do with cultural beliefs/practices (e.g. Marcus has to Arabic classes on Sat so he can't come over to play Minecraft, Lee has Chinese lessons on Sunday, Abdul is celebrating Ramadan)

Right now their favorite T.V. show is "Nella the Princess Knight". They love talking about it and don't get flack for it from their friends. I can't imagine the same happening when I was in elementary school if I started going on about "My Little Pony" or something of that nature.

Money Values: Got home from work tonight and they both had a Gatorade bottle. I asked if they got them from the vending machines at camp when their mom picked them up.
Aidan: "Nooooo daddy. Those were $3.25!"
Liam: "Mommy took us to the grocery store - we got these for $1.25. And they are SOOO much bigger than the ones in the machine."
I've been trying to instill good money habits for years - nice to see dividends this soon.

All-in-all 6-7 has been a great period for us. There are a few headaches (there always are) - sibling bickering (but that's to be expected), harping on chores, and so on. If I had a nickel for every "Daddy, where's my [X]?" I could retire to the Bahamas. But like table manners, flushing the toilet, and everything else, it's constant and endless repetition that eventually yields results. I have on more than one occasion joked with my wife: "I don't blame parents who have out-of-control kids - they just hit the 101,249 time of saying 'eat over your plate your getting food all over the chair' and then their brain just broke - they gave up and let them be free-range children."

This is a really nice post and makes me thankful that I’ve got a good routine with my 5 month old that will hopefully carry on into toddlerhood and beyond.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

femcastra posted:

This is a really nice post and makes me thankful that I’ve got a good routine with my 5 month old that will hopefully carry on into toddlerhood and beyond.

Man, I forget how rough sleep deprivation can be.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Alright, been lurking a bunch since my little one was born (3 months this Friday). Got a tricky question:

Baby was born real big, and real strong at just about 9 pounds. Since then, she's been putting on weight quickly and is still super robust. She starting rolling over from back to front at about 9 weeks, and then from front to back a week later. So now, when we go to check on her in her crib, she can be anywhere, on either side.

Was kind of a bummer since she loved her swaddle, and obviously once she decided to hurry up and develop, that had to go.

Here's the problem though:

Often, when we go to check on her, one of her limbs (most worryingly, one of her arms) will be kinda poking out, between the crib rails. It's troubling because she flails around so much in her sleep that I'm concerned that she'll end up hurting herself. She already donks her head into the crib rails so much, and now, on top of the anxiety that she's sloughing off IQ points every night (I know that's not really happening, but it's still upsetting hearing the thunks on the monitor) I'm worried she's gonna get tangled up with her crib in her sleep and dislocate something.

She's strong and all, but she's still so stinking tiny. I called up our doctor, but only got her nurse assistant, whose advise consisted of "she should really be sleeping on her back, or she could suffocate". Thanks.

Is this unnecessary worrying? I googled around and I didn't see much mention of this issue.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
They make mesh crib bumpers for exactly this reason. There are also little sleeves you can get that go on each little rail.

That said, we have an incredibly active toddler and the worst she’s ever done is get her foot stuck and yelp for help.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

skeetied posted:

They make mesh crib bumpers for exactly this reason. There are also little sleeves you can get that go on each little rail.

That said, we have an incredibly active toddler and the worst she’s ever done is get her foot stuck and yelp for help.

Yeah, I was warned off of those because of suffocation risks. Not sure how reliable this is, but
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thebump.com/a/crib-bumper-safety/amp

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

It's unnecessary worrying.

This happens to almost every baby and cribs aren't routinely causing broken or dislocated limbs.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

We are taking a 5 hour trip by plane (including 1 hour layover) with what will be our 4 month old in October. You guys have any tips or insight about flying with an infant?

So your kid is too young for this one, but for all the parents with small children dreading a flight we got this amazing advice and it works like a charm:

Go to the dollar store and buy a small cheap toy for every 15-20 minutes you will be flying. Do not show your child these toys before the flight. Once on the flight pull out one toy from the bag and give it to your toddler. Let them play with it until they get bored (usually 15-20 minutes, at least with our kid) then pull out the next one. Rinse and repeat until the end of the flight. We have employed this method several times and it works great for keeping them occupied and engaged.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

D-Pad posted:

So your kid is too young for this one, but for all the parents with small children dreading a flight we got this amazing advice and it works like a charm:

Go to the dollar store and buy a small cheap toy for every 15-20 minutes you will be flying. Do not show your child these toys before the flight. Once on the flight pull out one toy from the bag and give it to your toddler. Let them play with it until they get bored (usually 15-20 minutes, at least with our kid) then pull out the next one. Rinse and repeat until the end of the flight. We have employed this method several times and it works great for keeping them occupied and engaged.

Excellent, will be using this for our trip in January with our bub who will be 10 months by then.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
Hey anyone got tips on how to handle my mother in law asking every single phone call whether my 5 month old is sleeping through the night?

She does some nights, other nights her bedtime feed might not have been enough so she needs another, and other nights I just need to resettle when she cries. To be clear, I’m not talking 10-12 hours, she classes sleeping through as 6-7 hours stretches.

I have tried honesty and I get unsolicited advice on what I need to do differently and anecdotes about how all of her babies slept through. Now I just lie and tell her she sleeps through every night because the drama is ridiculous.

I’m not worried about my baby, I think she’s doing well. A bit of sleep deprivation is not killing me. I would like to tell my mother in law to step off on this topic but I also really like her, and I have very little family of my own so this relationship is important to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Man, bad dreams for a 21 month old are both kind of hilarious and sad.

Just a little voice crying a bit and then going "noooooo....all done!....open it!" and then falling back asleep

("open it" is his term for both opening and closing things at the moment, though he's starting to get the idea of a different term for closing something)

femcastra posted:

Hey anyone got tips on how to handle my mother in law asking every single phone call whether my 5 month old is sleeping through the night?

Maybe just saying something like "I know you're just trying to help and I really appreciate that, but it's also really stressing me out when you ask that and makes me feel like I'm doing things wrong. Can you please pull back on that question? We're all doing well and our kid will sleep all night long when she's ready"

Levitate fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Aug 10, 2018